View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
The rail is a SWS 10.3" E1 series HERE

Quoted:
Buck_Naked --- it's a noveske n6 leonidas

basically a b series armalite with a 12.5" noveske barrel with intermediate gas system.  the rail was made for noveske by sws (superior weapon systems) , they sell similar rails on their website.  

Oh yes.....$400 for a rail.

You pay for quality. Maybe find one used?

But they really are rock solid rails. One of the best. You gotta see them first hand to understand.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

But they really are rock solid rails. One of the best. You gotta see them first hand to understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

basically a b series armalite with a 12.5" noveske barrel with intermediate gas system.  the rail was made for noveske by sws (superior weapon systems) , they sell similar rails on their website.  

I have an early version I bought from Art many years ago. Still on the gun and works perfectly.

Made in Texas should be worth a little more.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

nice to see that they are now offering that length , works out great for the 12.5" barrel

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they are really nice rails

unfortunately most things for an armalite ar10 are a bit pricey

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

SWS was the first company to make a rail for the AR10. It cost money to be cool.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Midwest Industries makes rails for the AR-10. Both free float and non free float. Theirs prices are reasonable. HTH

ETA: The MI drop in non free float rail for the AR-10 is a solid choice ans is well under $200. It locks in rock solid. Mine was so tight, it needed a couple of taps from  a brass hammer to fully seat. I`ll try to shoot some pictures when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out JL Billet.  Here's one of theirs on my .22-250 upper.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

SWS was the first company to make a rail for the AR10. It cost money to be cool.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? I thought there were a couple out there before Art was in the game. JP built them a long time ago. I have a old Samson 2 piece free float but I don't know if they were the first.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#9]
We're talking back in the late 90s and early 2000s. KAC and Armalite were the only true players in the .308 game.
The really adventurious guys were taking a KAC rail and trying to mod it to fit an AR10. I think there was a website called Bigger Hammer or something like that that showed one that had been done. Badger Ordinance had a squared off brick looking thing for the AR10 and Armalite had their smooth fiberglass tube.

Sorry, the website was Quarterbore showing an old SWS tube installation as well.

Art at SWS came along with his original rail that IIRC used the same barrel nut and attachment as the Armalite tube but had rails instead of the smooth one from Armalite.  He still has one on his website called the Rev. 3 that is similar to his original. The E1 was next and currently what he is offering. I bugged him a while back about making a new MLOK tube that would fit the E1 barrel nut so we could upgrade our old E1 quad rails. I think he liked the idea but would have to make a significant investment.

We need LarryG and Ghostface to jump on here. They were doing AR10s back then also and may remember more clearly what was available. No question it was a very limited market.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
BJW you covered it,  shortly after Art came out with his ( maybe a year) LaRue and ARMS came out with their rails. I always thought the ARMS rails looked cool but they were bulky. I'd buy one else now for nostalgia if I could get one for $200...
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
BJW you covered it,  shortly after Art came out with his ( maybe a year) LaRue and ARMS came out with their rails. I always thought the ARMS rails looked cool but they were bulky. I'd buy one else now for nostalgia if I could get one for $200...
View Quote

Art name dropped in 2003, of you go to the AR10 handguard section.

When did Armalite make the Aluminum tubes? Before or after Art? Was ARMS only AR10 handguard the ones that piggy back on the upper, just like the AR15 ones? Or did they have something different?

I always liked the ARMS looks, but was way too bulky in the hands, even for my semi large hands.

Is the gas tube the only thing keeping the SWS rails locked? No other anti rotation methods used? Or do some of the screws set into the upper receiver threads?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When did Armalite make the Aluminum tubes? Before or after Art? Was ARMS only AR10 handguard the ones that piggy back on the upper, just like the AR15 ones? Or did they have something different?

I always liked the ARMS looks, but was way too bulky in the hands, even for my semi large hands.

Is the gas tube the only thing keeping the SWS rails locked? No other anti rotation methods used? Or do some of the screws set into the upper receiver threads?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The smooth Armalite aluminum tubes are not very old...certainly later than the original SWS quadrails.

The SWS E1 has a dowel hole drilled into the rail above the gastube but you would have to drill a corresponding hole in your upper and insert a pin.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Knights Armament makes the M5 Rail Adapter System that is a non-freefloat handguard intended for an AR-15. It replaces the plastic handguards, reusing the Delta ring, etc.

https://www.knightarmco.com/portfolio/m5-rifle-ras/

One poster here mentioned Biggerhammer- he wrote an article about fitting that onto an AR-10. There is a clip in the back that gets in the way because of the larger barrel nut- he indicated that you can simply remove the clip. I have a 20 inch standard weight 10 as well as an M5 RAS and may try this soon. I was going to go with a heavy barrel, but other things have taken priority (SR-25's...hehe)
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I like my AR10A just fine

Lots of mags to choose from, MAGPUL, Brownells, etc.

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks like Areo Precision makes an nice M-Lok and Keymod rail for the Armalite rifle and its only $189
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#16]
The Armalite keymod is pretty good too. Not my favorite but really nothing to complain about.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It looks like Areo Precision makes an nice M-Lok and Keymod rail for the Armalite rifle and its only $189
View Quote

Are you sure about that? I don't see that offered. For the DPMS pattern barrel nut, but i don't see the option to change for an Armalite nut.

I have the TAC15 Armalite handguard, it's ok. Like another said, nothing really to complainabout, but nothing really write home about either. I like it, can't really find anything much better to replace it. Good attachment, stays cool, seems tough enough.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Are you sure about that? I don't see that offered. For the DPMS pattern barrel nut, but i don't see the option to change for an Armalite nut.

I have the TAC15 Armalite handguard, it's ok. Like another said, nothing really to complainabout, but nothing really write home about either. I like it, can't really find anything much better to replace it. Good attachment, stays cool, seems tough enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes im sure. It looks like the Aero website  is out of stock on that item but........one of their distributors has it in stock with the correct Armalite nut.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#19]
well i placed my order for the aero rail. Gonna have to get a new has block. Does anyone know the size i need for a Armalite barrel?
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
well i placed my order for the aero rail. Gonna have to get a new has block. Does anyone know the size i need for a Armalite barrel?
View Quote

Which barrel do you have?
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The website description says
"16” double lapped, chrome lined / chrome moly, threaded 5/8X24, 4140 steel
Mid-length gas system"

I believe I need a .750 sized gas block
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#22]
yes , it should be .750 for that barrel
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top