AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:40:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wolf is all this barrel has ever,and probably will ever see.  Only 600 something rounds though, but still getting 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" groups. I have zero concerns, this AA barrel was less than $200

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/beerswimmer/Mobile%20Uploads/20160423_143626_zpsiyamd1p7.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really like that the wolf started loading an inexpensive steel cased bi-metal jacket in the 6.5G, its great to see you 6.5G shooters get such an affordable option. I also see a lot of 6.5G shooters bring that fact up in caliber related discussions, as it holds some merit. However most of you that I see are running some type of stainless steel barrel, and many of you have primo SS barrels at that. Do any of you actually run wolf's bi-metal jactet round though you SS barrels, in any kind of quantity other than a box here and there? I'd shoot wolf in my chrome linned ar15 barrels but my in SS barrels there's just no way. Which makes me wonder if the wolf being avail. in this caliber is of benifit to most 6.5G shooters

Wolf is all this barrel has ever,and probably will ever see.  Only 600 something rounds though, but still getting 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" groups. I have zero concerns, this AA barrel was less than $200

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/beerswimmer/Mobile%20Uploads/20160423_143626_zpsiyamd1p7.jpg

Cool but I wouldn't put it in here.
" />

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#2]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really like that the wolf started loading an inexpensive steel cased bi-metal jacket in the 6.5G, its great to see you 6.5G shooters get such an affordable option. I also see a lot of 6.5G shooters bring that fact up in caliber related discussions, as it holds some merit. However most of you that I see are running some type of stainless steel barrel, and many of you have primo SS barrels at that. Do any of you actually run wolf's bi-metal jactet round though you SS barrels, in any kind of quantity other than a box here and there? I'd shoot wolf in my chrome linned ar15 barrels but my in SS barrels there's just no way. Which makes me wonder if the wolf being avail. in this caliber is of benifit to most 6.5G shooters

Cool but I wouldn't put it in here.
http://<a href=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/soclose4/Mobile%20Uploads/20160912_184729_zpsjofebku8.jpg</a>" />

I agree.  I also have an "accurate" upper that will never see Wolf ever. It's actually a .264LBC by Blackhole Weaponry.  It's sub MOA with AMAX and SST. Easily. And less than 7lbs!

Before paint, but still way under 7

Extra privileged barrel

OP, you'll do just fine with a 6.5 Grendel

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wolf also released a brass cased version and federal just released a 120gr 6.5 Grendel load with claims of several more to come. Both are pretty inexspensive, look them up on ammoseek to get an idea of prices. From reports that I have seen both get great accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#4]
OP I can't wait to see how your rifle comes out. I am glad you did your research  and came to a conclusion based on it. I have never understood the cartridge war. I love all cartridges and all guns. But I guess I am just weird like that. I am actually in the middle of a 6.5 Grendel are build my self. I just ordered the last few parts the other day. This will be my first ar15 and it has taken me five years to gather all the parts. I picked the 6.5 Grendel because my logic was since I am a college student I won't have that much spare income so this will probably  be my only ar15 for a while. So I decided the Grendel made the best all around choice. I am building mine to be a detected suppressed  gun for long range shooting. I am on a phone so I would take forever  to list my parts so I am just going to link a thread I started the other day. Because this will be a suppressed  ar15  I think I am going to change the gas block to a SUP arms adjustable gas block down the line and get an Armageddon  tactical GMS-15 gen 2 charging handle instead as my R.A.P.T.O.R hasn't shipped yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?12627-It-is-finally-happening!

I am sorry. I realized after I posted I didn't include  the link. Instead of trying to add it to the last post I just made a new one. I did so because this phone is a bit of a bitch to copy and pasting things. No matter  where you try to paste what you copied it will paste it at the beginning and erase everything there. So I would have had to edit the entire post.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
A lot has happened here, I must apologize for the delay. I have a barrel and a handguard now, it's an 18" barrel from those guys, wife found it and ordered it, I got it yesterday. I ordered a free float rail, it's a 10 inch I got a steal on and couldn't turn it down. I need a rifle length gas tube now, and a bit of upper tools and time. I have it mockup now just to see it, and I will have a bit more gas tube visible than I would like, but that can be changed as I see how it functions. I need a bolt as well, that will be ordered soon. Then a muzzle device too.

Need to get the lower assembled as I just haven't had a chance to with life in the way.

I have found a large plot of land that looks good for a stand to go up in, and my brother has a friend who has a lot set and cameras that show decent deer.

Uploading a mock up picture now
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome gun OP. I have always wanted to try out the AR15PERFORMANCE barrels, but never had them in stock. Let us know what kind of accuracy  you get from it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry for the double tap. I hate posting on this phone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Your gas tube is going to be exposed? Might want to get a longer handguard.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:22:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Please note the locked sticky at the top of this forum. I don't want the moderators coming down on this thread or disciplining any who have posted.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:09:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Found this at Cabela's today, good motivation to get stuff done

Lower built, just looking for a few more parts needed for the upper
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Please note the locked sticky at the top of this forum. I don't want the moderators coming down on this thread or disciplining any who have posted.
View Quote

Fixed, thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Being a 18, I would like at least a 15 inch, but I stumbled across this one and couldn't turn it down. I will find a longer one and switch them around. Use this one for a short barrel build down the road
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Got a little more done, gas tube is in the block and sitting on the barrel. I am going to ask a customer at work if he has the upper clamshell and a wrench to Torque the barrel.

After a scope, I am going to invest in some quality tools as I hate relying on others for stuff like this.

Bolt is on order, and about to snag a few mags, any mags work or a brand better than others?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Got a little more done, gas tube is in the block and sitting on the barrel. I am going to ask a customer at work if he has the upper clamshell and a wrench to Torque the barrel.

After a scope, I am going to invest in some quality tools as I hate relying on others for stuff like this.

Bolt is on order, and about to snag a few mags, any mags work or a brand better than others?
View Quote
elanders from alexander arms are my go-to

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Scope is mounted and will be sighted in soon. Went to order mags and they were back ordered, read rounds will feed thru .223 mags, is that true? I have a 10 round mag here somewhere.

Scope is a cheapy 2.5-7x32 from Cabela's,rings are Leopold highs, wouldn't mind it a tad higher for more consistent weld, but it's not bad.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Got it together and sighted in.

2 things I noticed, one was poor Ejection. It had a H buffer in it so I bought a Car buffer for it and switched it around, and the gas block set screw missed the dimple, and came loose. Second was light strikes. A fellow ARFCOM member local helped with the barrel gave me some JP springs. I put them in and I believe they were the culprit. I put the OE stuff back in, but did not shoot after those changes.

Other wise, it shot great. Scope is too small for a 100 yd zero, so we zeroed at 50, which is good for our area of hunting. The scope is not going to last past this season, will transition to another rifle for something a lot better. I have another rifle planned, one for my boys, and they can use this scope setup. And a handguard from the same place, and switch them out so the tube is covered.

Had some personal shit happen, so I haven't gotten into a stand just yet. I am hoping to get out soon, but I know that the end of the season is coming.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking to put a 15 inch rail on it, possibly the GunTec unit. I'm going to grab a Bipod for it too, greet it ready for the off season for longer shots.

It's going to get a better trigger, either a Timney or Giesselle one, unless there is a better option out there.e One set for LR and still heavy for hunting, some too light just aren't going to work for my cold hands.

The scope is going to get mounted to an incoming M&P 15-22 for the kids. I am going to be looking for a huge upgrade, hopefully in the 3-5 on the low up to 16-20 on the high, but much better quality than what I have now (anything is an upgrade from the cheapest one I could find).

I am going to build another lower for this one, so I can upgrade other pieces too, like stock grip and trigger, and set this one aside for a different project (that and putting these together is just fun).
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#20]
My first AR build was a 6.5G.

Using a more or less standard AR-15 lower, with a CS spring and heavy buffer, Magpul MIAD grip.  The upper is one from the now semi-defunct Sabre Defense.  It's a 16 inch CMV barreled, chrome lined.  It was a flat top that came with YHM folding front a rear iron sights.  I had a Trijicon ACOG TA11-308G scope on it (since used on another rifle).  The only drawback was my rifle was constructed BEFORE the Wolf cost effective ammo became available, so shooting it involved over a buck a round, or more.

Now that the low cost Wolf ammo is available, I'm building a second 6.5G, this one with a 18 inch Odin stainless barrel with their intermediate gas system.  I'm still assembling the parts for it.

One thing I'll probably stay with is a Daniel Defense rail-type handguard.  I've used these on two rifles now and like them a lot.  They're free floated, with a rock solid mounting system, but at the high end of prices.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top