Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree wholeheartedly. In this instance, the other caliber fits the bill perfectly, except for not being on the shelf lol. If there are members who can't play nice, or a thread that could spiral out of control, it's worth a watch but I don't think it warrants censorship for lack of a better word.

I've been a mod on other forums and understand both sides, I just see this one instance as a bit premature.

Forest, not saying you were wrong, just my opinion is all. I know the work that goes into modding a forum and I do appreciate what y'all do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
< Caliber questions were specific - please do not introduce your caliber of choice - F >

I don't know if this one and the other posts that have been edited like this were civil or not, but if someone has another alternative that would fit the OPs use case the it is a valid point to add to the discussion as long as they are being civil.

I don't want trolls around here as much as anybody else, but I feel the speech control around here sometimes gets borderline gestapo-ish.

All the censored messages were civil and informative.  They were in abeyance of the policies posted at the top of the forum. Ironically, the only non-civil posts on the thread are still there.

While I understand why the policy was instituted, it does seem draconian. The OP in this thread openly welcomed the insights offered by the "other" caliber. It just seems a shame that a policy of this type is put in place because a small hand full of members can't seem to play nice.  It deprives the OP of potentially beneficial information.

Rather than limit which calibers can be discussed in a given thread in the AR VARIANTS forum, why not simply temporarily (or permanently) censor the people who can't seem to adhere to the general terms of the COC where it applies to civil discourse?

I agree wholeheartedly. In this instance, the other caliber fits the bill perfectly, except for not being on the shelf lol. If there are members who can't play nice, or a thread that could spiral out of control, it's worth a watch but I don't think it warrants censorship for lack of a better word.

I've been a mod on other forums and understand both sides, I just see this one instance as a bit premature.

Forest, not saying you were wrong, just my opinion is all. I know the work that goes into modding a forum and I do appreciate what y'all do.

I have to admit, when I read the OPs first post of desired use case, the "other" caliber came to mind and now that it was brought up he is seriously considering it. I would call that a very helpful suggestion.  (Note: I personally don't have that caliber yet so I'm not going to be a fan boy of it.)

Anyhow, I don't want to escalate this any further to a flame war and I apologize for having taken the thread off topic as much as I have already. I really have enjoyed this forum since I have joined and just want to continue seeing more helpful suggestions.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have to admit, when I read the OPs first post of desired use case, the "other" caliber came to mind and now that it was brought up he is seriously considering it. I would call that a very helpful suggestion.  (Note: I personally don't have that caliber yet so I'm not going to be a fan boy of it.)

Anyhow, I don't want to escalate this any further to a flame war and I apologize for having taken the thread off topic as much as I have already. I really have enjoyed this forum since I have joined and just want to continue seeing more helpful suggestions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
< Caliber questions were specific - please do not introduce your caliber of choice - F >

I don't know if this one and the other posts that have been edited like this were civil or not, but if someone has another alternative that would fit the OPs use case the it is a valid point to add to the discussion as long as they are being civil.

I don't want trolls around here as much as anybody else, but I feel the speech control around here sometimes gets borderline gestapo-ish.

All the censored messages were civil and informative.  They were in abeyance of the policies posted at the top of the forum. Ironically, the only non-civil posts on the thread are still there.

While I understand why the policy was instituted, it does seem draconian. The OP in this thread openly welcomed the insights offered by the "other" caliber. It just seems a shame that a policy of this type is put in place because a small hand full of members can't seem to play nice.  It deprives the OP of potentially beneficial information.

Rather than limit which calibers can be discussed in a given thread in the AR VARIANTS forum, why not simply temporarily (or permanently) censor the people who can't seem to adhere to the general terms of the COC where it applies to civil discourse?

The issue with this is the 6.5G crowd always calls foul if someone mentions the 6.8 SPC in a thread by an OP that has the 6.5G in it but not the 6.8 SPC.
Yet the reverse they think is just fine.
Ironically some of the very ones going "what, huh, gee I didnt know" are ones that have been active in this.
Since they have set the standard here that it is ok opens it back up to threads asking about the 6.5G.
Since I have both now I will feel free to suggest the 6.8 SPC in any thread asking about a caliber of variant that the 6.8 SPC will fit into.
While the 6.5G is a fine caliber with a higher BC in some instances the additional 200 fps that the 6.8 SPC is capable of cannot be made up by the 6.5G with a slightly higher BC.
As well Litz has show the BC difference isnt as great as some would have you believe as Hornady exaggerates the BC on both the 123 AMax and 123 SST at .510.
When its actually in the .460 range.

One thing I will caution the OP.
Do not think the 6.5G holds a candle to the 6.5 Creedmore, because its not even close. Neither is the 6.8 SPC for that matter.
The Creedmore and .260 Rem are in a whole class above either of them.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh. You want a Creedmoor you say?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a 6.8 and a 6.5G.
I do want a 6.5 CM as well.
The 6.8 will always have a home.
Its my go to for everything.

Oh. You want a Creedmoor you say?

Yes, it's on the list. Bolt gun though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The issue with this is the 6.5G crowd always calls foul if someone mentions the 6.8 SPC in a thread by an OP that has the 6.5G in it but not the 6.8 SPC.
Yet the reverse they think is just fine.
Ironically some of the very ones going "what, huh, gee I didnt know" are ones that have been active in this.
Since they have set the standard here that it is ok opens it back up to threads asking about the 6.5G.
Since I have both now I will feel free to suggest the 6.8 SPC in any thread asking about a caliber of variant that the 6.8 SPC will fit into.

While the 6.5G is a fine caliber with a higher BC...
View Quote

Right - Now I remember why the rule was instituted...

Good luck with that, yama.  The mods have already made it clear that they disapprove of the very behavior you're complaining of. Let them handle it as they see fit. No need to retaliate and start the caliber wars anew.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:16:48 AM EDT
[#5]
delete
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One thing I will caution the OP.
Do not think the 6.5G holds a candle to the 6.5 Creedmore, because its not even close. Neither is the 6.8 SPC for that matter.
The Creedmore and .260 Rem are in a whole class above either of them.
View Quote

I am aware, I've read a ton before really looking hard at the G, and the CM is a good round, but it doesn't fit my needs for this rifle like the G does.

The CM would be a fun rifle, and may make an appearance in my safe, but this one isn't it.

ETA: not trying to sound snotty, I read it and could be taken that way. Thanks for the clarification, truly
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I wasn't aware of the rule regarding introducing different cartridges into discussion if not mentioned in the OP.  The only reason I suggested the G was it is the same .264 bullet as the CM.  In my mind a similar vein as 38 Special to 357 Magnum but still shorter and weaker version.  With the OP's performance criteria it seemed like something logical to suggest.  I apologize for violating the rule  and will refrain from this infraction in the future.  I was sick of the caliber war discussions and think this is a wise rule instituted by the Mods.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What kind of budget are you looking at for the scope?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For glass, remembering that this is a hunting rifle first, what do y'all think about the Bushnell elite series? Would love a 3-12x50, but they have either a 3-9 or 4-16 in the 3500 series, the 6500 has a 2.5-16, but more tactical than needed. I think the 3500 would be great for this, and I know me as a shooter isn't ready for the 1k yard shots anyway.

What kind of budget are you looking at for the scope?

With some life stuff happening it will open up the budget a bit, but I would say for this season a budget of$3-600. And depending on what I see as needs I can upgrade after the season and fill the role better. I've been looking in the EE and seeing what is out there for used and a better deal.

I'm not going to buy u tik after the rifle is together, or closer, but checking out what is good out there. Been looking mostly at SWFA and reading here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both .260 Remington and several 6.5 Grendel's, all in gassers.

With the same projectiles and same barrel lengths, I hit 6.5 Grendel muzzle velocity at between 150-200yds with the .260 Rem.

The penalty is a rifle that weighs a lot more, has much larger receivers, a huge BCG, only can be hand-loaded for, brass life is 3-5 loads, and transporting is a lot more difficult due to weight/bulk.

I still will keep .260 Rem in my selection, and will probably fill the capability in the future with a Mega SF-MATEN in 6.5 Creedmoor with an ELGS +2" and 22" barrel, then sell the .260 Rem I currently have.

For me, the .260 Rem is for higher hit probability at longer ranges, and my ELR work.

We were shooting yesterday out to 1000yds with my shorter barrel Grendel's, and my dope was dead-on at 1000k with no elevation adjustment necessary, shooting 123gr Scenar factory ammo from my little 18" Lilja.  Elevation was 6600 ft ASL, barometric pressure read 23.7" hg.  Temp was 76 F.

My nephews and BIL were hitting 1st-round out to 600yds, no formal rifle experience at all, with a little 7lb 12oz 6.5 Grendel.  Took a bunch of video through the spotting scope with iphone.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Another thing to note, since you are considering 6.5 Grendel after it was brought up in this thread, is Wolf manufactures it now. You can find boxes of Wolf for $135/500rds and if I recall correctly, the ballistics are actually decent with their 7n6 style bullets. That gives you a gun with better long range ballistics than 6.8 that has ~.28 cent/round plinking ammo available for practice, which may also have decent terminal ballistics for double duty hunting/hd if you can't afford high end factory loads. If you aren't a reloader, that may be the way to go. Here's more info on it. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/649619_WOLF_STEEL_CASE_6_5MM_GRENDEL_PRODUCTION_AMMO_ARRIVED_UPDATE_with_pic_IN_OP.html
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#11]
There are 37 factory loads and growing for 6.5 Grendel, with AA, Black Hills, Federal, Hornady, Precision Firearms, PPU, and Wolf on board.

For all those of you who think you need to reload for this cartridge, that hasn't been true since about 2010.

There is premium to plinking hunting and target ammo available from several sources, and I see it on shelves everywhere now, including Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabella's, local gun stores, etc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There are 37 factory loads and growing for 6.5 Grendel, with AA, Black Hills, Federal, Hornady, Precision Firearms, PPU, and Wolf on board.

For all those of you who think you need to reload for this cartridge, that hasn't been true since about 2010.

There is premium to plinking hunting and target ammo available from several sources, and I see it on shelves everywhere now, including Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabella's, local gun stores, etc.
View Quote

When I built mine there was not one round of factory ammo to be found anywhere in my neck of the woods.
I check everywhere I travel, I have not found this to be true, and I travel alot.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When I built mine there was not one round of factory ammo to be found anywhere in my neck of the woods.
I check everywhere I travel, I have not found this to be true, and I travel alot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have looked at a few of the local big box stores and haven't seen  any, but they have it online. Thinking they can either order it in or buy online and pick up in store. I haven't had a chance to walk thru Cabela's near me, but I won't be far from it in a few weeks a d can look daily. There is a Gander Mountain and BPS really close to me now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have looked at a few of the local big box stores and haven't seen  any, but they have it online. Thinking they can either order it in or buy online and pick up in store. I haven't had a chance to walk thru Cabela's near me, but I won't be far from it in a few weeks a d can look daily. There is a Gander Mountain and BPS really close to me now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Have to question the information in this response. Initially when Barnes brought out the X-Bullet there were fouling issues with them, Barnes and other monolithic bullet manufacturers have constantly made changes to the gilding metal alloys used for monolithic bullets to eliminate what you're talking about. In my experience with monolithic bullets any point of impact shift was due to the change in bullet, not copper fouling. The biggest takeaway from your response is Clean Your Bore !!!!!! Butch's Boreshine, Shooter's Choice, Hoppe's Benchrest and Hoppe's No.9 all contain copper removers and take care of this issue. The biggest thing is again clean your barrel, if your barrel is fouling that bad you may have a rough barrel and a little JB' Bore Compound would help, but in the end Clean Your Barrel. Shoot whatever bullet design you like, but Clean Your Barrel. You're making Monolithics sound like a problem and they aren't. Bullet technology has advanced Light Years over the past thirty years, enjoy the advances and don't worry about a problem that isn't there.
View Quote

Yeah...we agree on pretty much everything......
Just clean the bore when switching back and forth between monolith bullets and jacketed. Monoliths are AWESOME and I hunted with ONLY TTSX's last year to the end of 2 runts by my hand and someone else's monster buck, but with my gun.

I have personal experience with a chrome lined CHF PSA barrel (which would benefit from JB bore paste and I may just try that like you said) and with a no name melonite barrel which CAN NOT be cleaned with JB bore paste.  In each case the first group after CHANGING TYPE sucked bad (like 4 or 6 MOA bad).  Groups after that would get better though never best.  Cleaning between TYPE CHANGES is my current personal rule.  I have seen no POI shift, just bad groups after CHANGING TYPES.  Its hard to tell a POI shift when the group is 4-6 MOA but still has shots on or near the POA.

Op is going 6.5 Grendel to use on his existing lower.  Likely, he will be using Amax's or SST's so this Monolith discussion is probably just a distraction for him.  My apologies.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You've got the essentials.  Depending on your preferences, get a few quality mags.  For 4 to 14 round capacity, ASC and AR-Stoner mags work well.  For greater capacity (15+)  E-Landers are available in 10, 17 and 24 round sizes, but they can be a bit tough to find in stock.  

When you assemble your upper, consider lapping the upper receiver to ensure a square fit with the barrel and extension. This will potentially aide in accuracy and avoid issues with bolt to extension alignment (keeps all the lugs in even contact with the extension).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking at the AA barrel and bolt.
JP adj gas block
Will need a 9\16 muzzle device
Gas tube (other than length, a gas tube is a gas tube, correct?)
Handguard

Other than the normal stuffs, what would you add?

You've got the essentials.  Depending on your preferences, get a few quality mags.  For 4 to 14 round capacity, ASC and AR-Stoner mags work well.  For greater capacity (15+)  E-Landers are available in 10, 17 and 24 round sizes, but they can be a bit tough to find in stock.  

When you assemble your upper, consider lapping the upper receiver to ensure a square fit with the barrel and extension. This will potentially aide in accuracy and avoid issues with bolt to extension alignment (keeps all the lugs in even contact with the extension).  

10 round magazines are plenty for hunting.  More capacity is just longer.  Just keep a spare 10 rounder.  I hunt with a 13 rounder.
Lapping is a good thing indeed.  I have only had 1 out of 5 uppers that actually needed it, but that one NEEDED it.  It hurts nothing on good uppers.  Also, if your barrel does not fit snuggly into the upper receiver, try cutting some BB sized spacers from a feeler gauge and gluing 3 or 4 of them to the back of the barrel extension with super glue.  Most likely the feeler gauge will not be needed.  Just low temp lock tight works 99% of the time.

I have no experience with 6.5G barrels.
Get a SLR or Syrac Ordinace adjustable gas block, but nothing wrong with the JP in all honesty.  I have a bit of JP coolaid myself.
I would not get a barrel that did not have 5/8 threads, but to each his own.  I also have cans that don't fit 9/16" threads.
In the AR15 world all gas tubes are gas tubes.  Even the ones at the gunshow work fine.  Only Armalite AR10's are different.
You can by a $40 amazon handguard and Krylon paint and be quite happy on a budget build.  I personally like Midwest Industries and SLR.  BCM is well liked but $$$ as well.  I have Seekins MSVR whatever and it is also very nice, but huge by comparison.  PA has their version of the Seekins on sale for $99 often.  Also have a Samon and don't like it because of its weight and how it "torques up" as you tighten the bolts.

A removable bipod is very nice for a hunting rig.  I like the cheap rail type and I put a rail adapter in my keymod handguards for it.  A sling with good padding is also nice.  AR's get heavy with all the toys on them.  

Don't overpower your scope, but don't UNDERBUY qualty.  I used a 3-9x50 last year.  This year I will be using a 2-7x32 for the wider field of view but I plan on shooting at deer being chased by dogs.  For still hunting a 3-9 is plenty unless you have to make a positive ID on rack size at range.  Even in the stand my scope is always on the lowest power unless I see something far away AND have time to turn the power up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate buying a box of ammo at a time unless I have to due to cost, so I buy on line almost exclusively in order to get the best deals.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#18]
OP asked about 6.5cm and 6.8spc, but chose 6.5 Grendel.

But all the posts about 6.5 Grendel got deleted. Funny. Maybe some people just aren't aware of all the options and it's nice to have people suggest other calibers. I asked about the 26 Nosler in another section here and got steered all over the place, and I'm glad I did. It changed my mind.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I hate buying a box of ammo at a time unless I have to due to cost, so I buy on line almost exclusively in order to get the best deals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too, but for getting started I will, but in different flavors to get what the rifle likes. Then time to buy stock. Im going to plan on buying a case of whatever works best.

What does your rifle like?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What does your rifle like?
View Quote

My rifle has a Black Hole Weaponry .264 barrel.  It may get replaced by a SAAMI barrel.

I've only tried the factory Hornady Amax load (best accuracy), the PPU/Wolf 120 gr load (identical cartridge and performance from either packaging), and the steel cased Wolf (it shot patterns- my LBC barrel hates it).
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's sold out right now, but they have it in quite often.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AW65FMJ100&name=WPA+(WOLF+Performance+Arms)+6.5+Grendel+100grn+FMJ+20rd+Box&groupid=247
I have a 6.8, but I also have an interest in the 6.5G... That war has been going on here for at least 10 years lol. I remember when I was building my 1st 6.8 they were fighting back then. lol.  The nice thing about 6.5G recently is the wolf cheap ammo. my 6.8 cheapest box ammo I've been able to find is PSA every now and then has it for 7.99 or so usually 9.99.  The 6.5G wolf for 5.99
I'm not gonna war over the "better" cartridge.
I wish I had a 6.5G to shoot with my 6.8, but I don't. But I do know what it takes to feed my 6.8
The nice thing about the 6.5G for the OP IMO would be when/if he gets the 6.5CM stocking up on bullets for reloading would be a little simpler. 6.5 for both. Different weights probably, but all 6.5
I'm old and I like simple.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the stripped upper on the way, $75
Found a LPK on the EE for $55
My lower was $75, but did some trading and built that up, so really only $20 lol
Buddy looking into a stock and tube (what buffer are y'all running?)
CH $20 EE

AA barrel is ordered in the AM, still looking at gas block, I saw a few other adjustable blocks that aren't the big $$ JP units (other blocks really worth the try?)
Bolt and carrier, will buy an AA bolt, carrier any different?
Gas tube, Middy so I could do a PSA unit
Hand guard, found a few to look at.

Then scope
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My lower was $75, but did some trading and built that up, so really only $20 lol
Buddy looking into a stock and tube (what buffer are y'all running?)  If you're using the AA 16" MLGS barrel, I would go with an H2.
CH $20 EE

AA barrel is ordered in the AM, still looking at gas block, I saw a few other adjustable blocks that aren't the big $$ JP units (other blocks really worth the try?)  Simple low pro Sadlak is all you need.
Bolt and carrier, will buy an AA bolt, carrier any different?  All other parts are the same but the bolt, barrel, and mags.
Gas tube, Middy so I could do a PSA unit   I like the Nitrided tubes.

Then scope
View Quote

Sounds like you're on your way.

I recommend the BCM Gunfighter Charge Handles, especially once you glass the gun up.  Medium latch is good compromise between accessibility near objective bell, and snag free.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I recommend the BCM Gunfighter Charge Handles, especially once you glass the gun up.  Medium latch is good compromise between accessibility near objective bell, and snag free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buddy looking into a stock and tube (what buffer are y'all running?)  If you're using the AA 16" MLGS barrel, I would go with an H2.
CH $20 EE

AA barrel is ordered in the AM, still looking at gas block, I saw a few other adjustable blocks that aren't the big $$ JP units (other blocks really worth the try?)  Simple low pro Sadlak is all you need.
Bolt and carrier, will buy an AA bolt, carrier any different?  All other parts are the same but the bolt, barrel, and mags.
Gas tube, Middy so I could do a PSA unit   I like the Nitrided tubes.

Then scope

CH is an enhanced latch, which I have used before and like.

If it doesn't work I can upgrade it, and use it as a spare or, well, we all know what happens to spare parts

The gas block, that's good to hear! I've read so much about the gassing and needing to adjust it to run well, the last thing I want to worry about in the woods. I know it will be tested, but still don't want to worry about it. And the price is hard to beat.

Also, thanks for some more clarification, I don't want to buy a BCG and realize it's wrong. I thought it was the same,but knowing for sure is always good. I've only done the .223 AR and new caliber are a new thing for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Upper is here, lower got delayed but seller threw in buffer tube and stock, Blackhawk M4 style stock, something that can be upgraded after the season if I feel I need to. I don't think it has buffer and spring, if it does then it's probably a Carbine buffer, so I will need one anyway.

CH and LPK on the way, hopefully be here around the same time as the lower.  Standard LPK, trigger I can upgrade as well.

Gas block and tube have been found, waiting for it to go on sale for the weekend

I can't find just a carrier, but have found a complete BCG withCH to see if I can sell the bolt itself and CH to recoup for the bolt (pushing the limits on a true budget build lol)

Barrel is ordered(and a gift, free $200!) And then I will order the bolt and mags.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Be sure to post pics when you're done (both of the rifle and the groups you get)
View Quote

Tis in the plans!

CH and LPK are here.

I have not received a shipping notification yet from AA, which isn't an issue, was just curious if anyone knows what the delivery times are usually? I may have to move, and don't know when, so if it's soon then good, or a bit is fine where I can update the new address.

Gas block and tube ordered, and a standard .223 BCG and CH, as described last page, from DOA.

Buffer and spring, handguard, and upper vice block, and parts to show up are needed now!
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Good luck, OP.  My two 6.8s do everything I ask of them...very well.  In my AO, a 300 yard shot on a deer would be the very max.
And if I want something bigger and longer range, I have a .308 big brother that does even better, but with a 2+ lb.weight penalty.
When I made my decision (2007-2009), there was absolutely no comparison with the 6.8 being much better than 6.5G in every category under 400 yards.
Neither one should be used on game beyond that anyway.  At least you didn't choose a 300 blackout.  Welcome to the world of AR variants.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Good luck, OP.  My two 6.8s do everything I ask of them...very well.  In my AO, a 300 yard shot on a deer would be the very max.
And if I want something bigger and longer range, I have a .308 big brother that does even better, but with a 2+ lb.weight penalty.
When I made my decision (2007-2009), there was absolutely no comparison with the 6.8 being much better than 6.5G in every category under 400 yards.
Neither one should be used on game beyond that anyway.  At least you didn't choose a 300 blackout.  Welcome to the world of AR variants.
View Quote

The seller is the LR shooting, not just game. And a 6.8 isn't off the table, just not for this. Purposed hunting rifle, and switch this to more LR duty than absolutely.

Don't take it the wrong way, I know what you're saying and you're absolutely right, and that is a project for another day.

H buffer ordered, EE $30
Once I can get the bolt and turn and sell it I will order the bolt from AA and find a muzzle device, probably just a protector really.

Still looking for a handguard, I'm in at about$325 right now, but the barrel is cheating that number, another$200 there, but being a gift it's not my money .
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#31]
AA barrel is back ordered, and I don't know when it will be ready.

Not knowing when itwill be ready, I cancelled the order so I can get this built quickly for the season. I don't want to spend double because it's a gift and that's not right.

I have a 5.56 bolt ordered, mainly for the carrier. I don't have any other parts set for the Grendel, just a gas block and tube. I could go 6.8, 300, 5.56, or other?? I need something pretty soon, not a special order 6-8 month deal, and $200 max for the barrel. Used is fine as long as it's not a caliber that kills barrels fast (don't want a spent barrel off the bat)
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#32]
There might be barrels left over from the group buy from Faxon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There might be barrels left over from the group buy from Faxon.
View Quote

Good call! Email sent!
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#34]
< Rules Violation, warning and 24 hour ban - F >
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#35]
< Don't quote the stupid, just hit the report button -  F >
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Read of lots of issues, between that and the issues here they are off the table.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#37]
I make no promises about the accuracy of any of these barrels:

Shilen Drop in

Brownell's

Ar-Stoner - The details say both .264 LBC and Grendel II. I'd figure out which one it is. I would probably either go .264 LBC or SAAMI grendel.

18" Saami Spec Satern Cut Rifled

I enjoyed reading this thread because I had a very similar question 4 months back and I came to the exact same conclusion that if you want to hunt with an ar-15 and longer range is on the table, grendel is the way to go. I'm now waiting on a SAAMI spec barrel from satern.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Since you are using an adjustable gas block, you do NOT have to use an extra heavy buffer.  A standard gun show buffer would have been fine.

If you have a CAR gas system 16", then yes go heavy buffer.
Midlength gas system 16" has a lower pressure and less dwell.  You can use a standard weight (or M16) carrier with a standard buffer as long as you can turn the gas down to barely lock back on an empty magazine.

With 6.8spc and 6.5G I do NOT recommend the Taccom lightweight delrin buffer.  Just a hair too much gas on a reduced mass system and your groups might open up a very small amount.

Reduced power buffer springs are also good for making a gun run on less gas.  Those cheap junky gun show springs perform just like the expensive purpose made reduced power springs, but the gunshow ones are larger in wire diameter and probably weight a few grams more (more of a cheaper material?).
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Since you are using an adjustable gas block, you do NOT have to use an extra heavy buffer.  A standard gun show buffer would have been fine.

If you have a CAR gas system 16", then yes go heavy buffer.
Midlength gas system 16" has a lower pressure and less dwell.  You can use a standard weight (or M16) carrier with a standard buffer as long as you can turn the gas down to barely lock back on an empty magazine.

With 6.8spc and 6.5G I do NOT recommend the Taccom lightweight delrin buffer.  Just a hair too much gas on a reduced mass system and your groups might open up a very small amount.

Reduced power buffer springs are also good for making a gun run on less gas.  Those cheap junky gun show springs perform just like the expensive purpose made reduced power springs, but the gunshow ones are larger in wire diameter and probably weight a few grams more (more of a cheaper material?).
View Quote

I don't have an adjustable block, just a standard block. It,  tube,  and bolt carrier group showed today, just need to trade out for a 6.5 bolt and change to a rifle length tube

I have only found a few barrels in my price range for this caliber and they are 18+ rifle gas system. I am debating between 18 and 20, but think 18 is a better brush gun. And I'm not going to lose much in those 2" of barrel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#40]
The Satern barrel Maxim bolt combos are good to go from all the people I know that use them in a Grendel. I have a 22" Satern fluted Grendel barrel and get exceptional accuracy with it. And it weighs in at 2 lbs 8 oz.

I did order a tbox barrel though in 18" for a more Mobile rifle. However it will be around Christmas before that barrel is finished. That one is going to be a 1:7.5 twist.

However I do reload so I have used hornady factory ammo and keep the brass and was able to find some once fired and also am in process of fire forming x39 brass because I found a load for fire forming that still gives me a sub 2" group at 200 yards.

Reloading is fairly easy to get into right now.

From what you say your situation is I think you would be quite happy with 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC.
I ended up going a Grendel because I had intention of going with a 6.5 creedmoor also so staying in the .264 family made sense. Especially having a handful of spare AR parts laying around.

Either way you end up going good luck to you and hope you get to tag your buck this year.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have only found a few barrels in my price range for this caliber and they are 18+ rifle gas system. I am debating between 18 and 20, but think 18 is a better brush gun. And I'm not going to lose much in those 2" of barrel.
View Quote

Why don't you just google jbm ballistics when the site loads in the left hand column click trajectory, and enter the load data, velocity,  and environmental data for the conditions in which you will be hunting. You can then see for yourself the data and make a well educated decision on how much you will be losing at range with an 18" vs a 20". It should he easy to find velocity #'s on factory loads in different barrels with some google fu, or by visiting the ammo manufacturers websites. JBM is a well respected free online ballistic calculator btw, the numbers you get are only going to be good as the data you enter into the calculator. However if you do your part JBM can be a great tool for you while making choices on calibers, loads, barrel lengths, etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#42]
I really like that the wolf started loading an inexpensive steel cased bi-metal jacket in the 6.5G, its great to see you 6.5G shooters get such an affordable option. I also see a lot of 6.5G shooters bring that fact up in caliber related discussions, as it holds some merit. However most of you that I see are running some type of stainless steel barrel, and many of you have primo SS barrels at that. Do any of you actually run wolf's bi-metal jactet round though you SS barrels, in any kind of quantity other than a box here and there? I'd shoot wolf in my chrome linned ar15 barrels but my in SS barrels there's just no way. Which makes me wonder if the wolf being avail. in this caliber is of benifit to most 6.5G shooters
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#43]
There is a group buy on the 20 inch Faxon going on 65G forum, but I registered and can not get onto the forum. Is there anyone that can look into that? I asked Faxon and they said they do them on runs so they don't know without the information.

Link to group buy

Found some more, and I would go in on it if I can get the attachments, can someone open those and pass them along? Knowing Faxon makes good stuff, would this be a good target barrel too, within reason, for the price? I don't mind upgrading down the road, but want to get it up and running and kill deer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Why don't you just google jbm ballistics when the site loads in the left hand column click trajectory, and enter the load data, velocity,  and environmental data for the conditions in which you will be hunting. You can then see for yourself the data and make a well educated decision on how much you will be losing at range with an 18" vs a 20". It should he easy to find velocity #'s on factory loads in different barrels with some google fu, or by visiting the ammo manufacturers websites. JBM is a well respected free online ballistic calculator btw, the numbers you get are only going to be good as the data you enter into the calculator. However if you do your part JBM can be a great tool for you while making choices on calibers, loads, barrel lengths, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because, completely honest,ive never heard of it!

I know there are a bunch of loads out there, and I will buy a few different ones to see what my gun likes best. Knowing the shots taken here for deer it may not effect much, but the distance shots would be effected.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Buffer is here, picking up the lower, tube and grip tomorrow and getting the lower ready to go.

Found a barrel,bolt and some mags for sale at a fantastic price, and going to put upper together on the following Sunday when I get the barrel.

Ordering a handguard this week,lookimg at a GunTec brand rail. Thoughts on those?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Buffer is here, picking up the lower, tube and grip tomorrow and getting the lower ready to go.

Found a barrel,bolt and some mags for sale at a fantastic price, and going to put upper together on the following Sunday when I get the barrel.

Ordering a handguard this week,lookimg at a GunTec brand rail. Thoughts on those?
View Quote
Never heard of them. However, I have an ALG EMR on my Grendel which is in a similar price range, and a fantastic piece of kit which I would not hesitate to recommend.

Here is a pic of mine so you can get an idea of what it looks like.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I really like that the wolf started loading an inexpensive steel cased bi-metal jacket in the 6.5G, its great to see you 6.5G shooters get such an affordable option. I also see a lot of 6.5G shooters bring that fact up in caliber related discussions, as it holds some merit. However most of you that I see are running some type of stainless steel barrel, and many of you have primo SS barrels at that. Do any of you actually run wolf's bi-metal jactet round though you SS barrels, in any kind of quantity other than a box here and there? I'd shoot wolf in my chrome linned ar15 barrels but my in SS barrels there's just no way. Which makes me wonder if the wolf being avail. in this caliber is of benifit to most 6.5G shooters
View Quote

Wolf is all this barrel has ever,and probably will ever see.  Only 600 something rounds though, but still getting 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" groups. I have zero concerns, this AA barrel was less than $200

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:24:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Beerswimmer, where'd you get that extended A2? And what is the thread size?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

V7 for the flash hider. I bought a lightweight adapter here because of the threading on AA barrels. The adapter only weighs a few grams.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

V7 for the flash hider. I bought a lightweight adapter here because of the threading on AA barrels. The adapter only weighs a few grams.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay , what am I missing , I thought AA barrels were 9/16-24 threads

ETA: never mind link was to wrong part, found it
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top