Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Liberty does not guarantee ANYTHING.  

I bought one of their $150 bolts and it was the worst investment of my life.

Not only did it look like shit but it didn't work and I ended up selling it on ebay for $45 just to take away the sting.

I will say this though, out of all the 7.62x39 bolts that I bought (there were a lot from 2 cheap eBay bolts to a tactical ambush, to the liberty) the LMT was the ONLY one that worked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I see a lot of people attacking the OP, but they don't seem to be arguing that LMT does test their bolts or that LMT does warranty them.  Might it be because he is right?

Then yo have other people claiming all steel case ammo is corrosive?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I want to thank you expressly for this post.  Everyone looking at 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel needs to really stop and take a look at this.

These pictures explain exactly why you don't use a .125" bolt face depth with cartridges that are this wide at the trim, with that rim thickness.

It's not a critique on LMT, because they have to make bolts that will work with the chambers out there, and nobody that I know of aside from Colt made chambers for a deeper bolt face.

Look at how much material is sacrificed to accommodate the thicker extractor rim, which is very apparent when you see the 7.62x39 extractor next to the 5.56 extractor.

You can also see what I was asking about:  Wear from the barrel extension teeth on the outside of the extractor adjacent to the reinforcement spine/lug of the extractor.  This happens during chambering, as the extractor has to snap over the cartridge rim when going into battery.

Since the barrel extension geometry was designed around the tiny little 5.56 case, it leaves little room for larger cases when looking at extractor snap-over.

I had this conversation with Bill A. years ago, and would have never thought about that as just a consumer.  You learn really quick that when someone actually tests their products, and knows what to look for, they see all kinds of issues rearing their heads when you try to stuff something bigger into the AR15 critical pressure-containment components.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use a standard 5.56 extractor, works fine.

Round count?

Does your extractor have wear on the outside of it next to the reinforcement spine?

Can you explain a little more about what you are thinking here?

I BOUGHT Kuo1225's LMT BOLT with broken extractor for research purposes.

Edit; ok i just somewhat made the connection with the charts you had drawn above.
What I seem to see on these LMT Extractors Is that there is not much material opposite of the rim hook at the tip.

This is KUO's pic but i am not sure if the lack of material is as drastic as it shows but do agree to a point that is seems really thin at the back side of extractor.

http://i63.tinypic.com/v5zof6.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/4r6w0j.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ihuy3c.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2hrhc49.jpg

I want to thank you expressly for this post.  Everyone looking at 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel needs to really stop and take a look at this.

These pictures explain exactly why you don't use a .125" bolt face depth with cartridges that are this wide at the trim, with that rim thickness.

It's not a critique on LMT, because they have to make bolts that will work with the chambers out there, and nobody that I know of aside from Colt made chambers for a deeper bolt face.

Look at how much material is sacrificed to accommodate the thicker extractor rim, which is very apparent when you see the 7.62x39 extractor next to the 5.56 extractor.

You can also see what I was asking about:  Wear from the barrel extension teeth on the outside of the extractor adjacent to the reinforcement spine/lug of the extractor.  This happens during chambering, as the extractor has to snap over the cartridge rim when going into battery.

Since the barrel extension geometry was designed around the tiny little 5.56 case, it leaves little room for larger cases when looking at extractor snap-over.

I had this conversation with Bill A. years ago, and would have never thought about that as just a consumer.  You learn really quick that when someone actually tests their products, and knows what to look for, they see all kinds of issues rearing their heads when you try to stuff something bigger into the AR15 critical pressure-containment components.

Wonder if I can file the lug that interacts with the extractor rib(for clearance) and make(tig) a beefier hook end on the lobster tail extractor?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Steel ammo breaks ARs. Use brass cases.
View Quote

Not my 5.45.  I'm at 30k rounds on my original bolt.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wonder if I can file the lug that interacts with the extractor rib(for clearance) and make(tig) a beefier hook end on the lobster tail extractor?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use a standard 5.56 extractor, works fine.

Round count?

Does your extractor have wear on the outside of it next to the reinforcement spine?

Can you explain a little more about what you are thinking here?

I BOUGHT Kuo1225's LMT BOLT with broken extractor for research purposes.

Edit; ok i just somewhat made the connection with the charts you had drawn above.
What I seem to see on these LMT Extractors Is that there is not much material opposite of the rim hook at the tip.

This is KUO's pic but i am not sure if the lack of material is as drastic as it shows but do agree to a point that is seems really thin at the back side of extractor.

http://i63.tinypic.com/v5zof6.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/4r6w0j.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ihuy3c.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2hrhc49.jpg

TIG runs at 11,000 * F.  That's not going to be helpful at all when applying that kind of heat to an extractor.

Once an extractor is toast, it's toast.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I see a lot of people attacking the OP, but they don't seem to be arguing that LMT does test their bolts or that LMT does warranty them.  Might it be because he is right?

Then yo have other people claiming all steel case ammo is corrosive?
View Quote

I called LMT a while back and they said they test all their bolts. I called them because i received it and it seemed like it was slightly used.

LMT is very reputable  I can't see them as the company that refuses to replace a defective product, even if it isn't in their warranty policy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Guess we'll just have to find a source for EXTRACTORS FOR LMT 7.62X39 BOLTS.

Broken LMT 7.62X39 extractor from kuo1225, new 7.62X39 extractors on bottom.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
That lip looks a lot longer.  Are those from LMT?

How does the ledge line up with the bolt face?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That lip looks a lot longer.  Are those from LMT?

How does the ledge line up with the bolt face?
View Quote

Sorta from LMT. Pre LMT maybe, LWS marked.
Pic below of kuo1225' LMT bolt that had the broken extractor,
with new LWS X39 extractor installed on it now.
Hook gap was the same as a new LMT extractor.
Is that pic what you wanted?

Edit, all pics of kuo1225 LMT 7.62X39 bolt that had the broken extractor with new LWS X39 extractor.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Does it snap over the rim well and how much does the extractor protrude after snap-over?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Hand cycled 15 rounds all went good.
Shoved a case into the bolt face and extractor snaps over shoulder easily.
I'm not sure I understand the protrusion question.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting read .
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does the extractor stick up at all AFTER its snapped over the case?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does not appear to have raised any at all after snapping over the case rim,
And if it does raise at all, it looks like maybe 1 or 2 thousandths.

EDIT; Looks the same as the LMT bolt with LMT EXTRACTOR.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who's LWS and here did you get the new extractors?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#16]
LWS is LWRC.

I think LWS came before LMT but I am not sure of the timeline.
I have 2 LWS 7.62X39 bolts and 2 LMT bolts.
I have a source for the extractors.
They may require a little hand fitting of the lobster tail end.
The wing of the LWS is a thousandth of an in wider than the LMT extractor.

I have a LWS extractor installed on a LMT bolt but haven't been able to get to the range with it.
It does hand cycle correctly. I will update when I get some rounds on it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#17]
OP's pics

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#18]

This isn't GD.

I put 150 rounds on the LMT bolt from KUO1225 with LWS extractor last night.
Ran on my pistol build and Ran just fine.
So if any of you guys want to get trid of your LMT bolts for cheap...
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This isn't GD.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This isn't GD.

Can you share your extractor source? It would be nice to have 2 extra x39 extractors.

Also Sons of Liberty Gunworks sells these for $150 shipped. Which is nearly $100 off what LMT sells them for.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#20]
If there's a source for replacement lobster tail extractors for the LMT 7.62x39 bolts I'm listening. Been looking for a spre for years with no luck.

I Goggled 'LWS lobster tail extractor 7.62x39 bolt' and the only hit was this thread.

I'm surprised Sons of Liberty is selling the LMT enhanced 7.62x39 bolt. I thought LMT was the only source for these.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This isn't GD.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This isn't GD.

Obviously. I was trying to fix his pictures using his own picture host but it didn't seem to work very well.

Open the pictures I posted in a new window and it should show fine. I'm on my cell phone and it works fine that way. Hell, even clicking the link you quoted me in works.

Here, I uploaded them to my own photobucket.

OP,you need a new image host.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Obviously. I was trying to fix his pictures using his own picture host but it didn't seem to work very well.

Open the pictures I posted in a new window and it should show fine. I'm on my cell phone and it works fine that way. Hell, even clicking the link you quoted me in works.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/angelbeast6/Mobile%20Uploads/68ad324f78f0f736a1eb975d0255b319eac4139a%201_zpssy3zicnm.jpg
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/angelbeast6/Mobile%20Uploads/059521385343fbf2c8297d7fb87eca8064388fab_zpscxgvdtiv.jpg
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/angelbeast6/Mobile%20Uploads/91afe1160924ab180a5e93773dfae6cd7a890b6b_zpsbl0yvz4e.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't GD.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/angelbeast6/Mobile%20Uploads/68ad324f78f0f736a1eb975d0255b319eac4139a%201_zpssy3zicnm.jpg
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/angelbeast6/Mobile%20Uploads/059521385343fbf2c8297d7fb87eca8064388fab_zpscxgvdtiv.jpg
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/angelbeast6/Mobile%20Uploads/91afe1160924ab180a5e93773dfae6cd7a890b6b_zpsbl0yvz4e.png

I apologize. I thought you were being an ass as the pics I saw were some chinese jibberish.
Thank you for posting those pics. mp
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Good luck trying to get a replacement wtih Liberty Gun Works. Has had complaints with BBB too!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just had an email exchange with LMT last evening and this morning.
They do not sell extractors seperately for their 7.62X39 bolts.

Yes, i called them today, and  like I said, I do not recommend people here to buy this bolt from them. they no longer manufacture this bolt and there is no warranty with it. it is almost 200 dollars, so I d say maybe that to use the same amount of money to buy 3-4 normal bolts is a smart move. I also consider Liberty's enhanced bolt. at least they guarantee something with it.

I really think that the reason LMT quits the market is because the design of 7.62X39 AR is far from being robust. They might have many issues with this bolt back then.

ps I bought a Model 1 bolt for temperary use. I will upgrade to Liberty's bolt and we will see what will happen.

Good luck trying to get a replacement wtih Liberty Gun Works. Has had complaints with BBB too!

Had a Liberty bolt lug break at about 3000 rds. sent it back to Liberty in May, still waiting even after i was told at one point "it will be going outt next week" now he does not answer my e mails.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Had a Liberty bolt lug break at about 3000 rds. sent it back to Liberty in May, still waiting even after i was told at one point "it will be going outt next week" now he does not answer my e mails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just had an email exchange with LMT last evening and this morning.
They do not sell extractors seperately for their 7.62X39 bolts.

Yes, i called them today, and  like I said, I do not recommend people here to buy this bolt from them. they no longer manufacture this bolt and there is no warranty with it. it is almost 200 dollars, so I d say maybe that to use the same amount of money to buy 3-4 normal bolts is a smart move. I also consider Liberty's enhanced bolt. at least they guarantee something with it.

I really think that the reason LMT quits the market is because the design of 7.62X39 AR is far from being robust. They might have many issues with this bolt back then.

ps I bought a Model 1 bolt for temperary use. I will upgrade to Liberty's bolt and we will see what will happen.

Liberty and Sons of Liberty Are both different companies right?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I just compared my LMT Enhanced 5.56 and 7.62 (just received it from SLGW) Bolts. They are exactly the same besides the extractor. It also appears to have been test fired (carbon was on the bolt tail, which is normal for LMT bolts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#26]
So which vendor has the better x 39 extractors ? In stock?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am trying to figure that out. But to be honest, their customer service sucks and do not purchase from them.
View Quote

Thanks for your interest in Arfcom. Making an account just tell everyone not to buy form a manufacturer.

Not to mention one of the best ones...

Also, I don't believe your round counts.

Also, 7.62x39 in a standard sized AR is stupid. But the main point of that is, LMT makes a bolt that will usually hold up much better than any. Also, your barrel extension might not be supporting the bolt lugs evenly. Can't see the pics at work so don't know. But you run a junk gun in a caliber the system wasn't ever meant for, and usually breaks; then complain when the LMT bolt breaks...
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks for your interest in Arfcom. Making an account just tell everyone not to buy form a manufacturer.

Also, 7.62x39 in a standard sized AR is stupid. But the main point of that is, LMT makes a bolt that will usually hold up much better than any. Also, your barrel extension might not be supporting the bolt lugs evenly. Can't see the pics at work so don't know. But you run a junk gun in a caliber the system wasn't ever meant for, and usually breaks; then complain when the LMT bolt breaks...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am trying to figure that out. But to be honest, their customer service sucks and do not purchase from them.

The LMT BOLT did not break. I am using his LMT bolt in one of my guns as matter of fact I shot it yesterday.
His extractor broke, and I found a replacement since LMT doesn't warranty, sell or replace extractors.
Aother fact, Colt made a 7.62x39 AR maybe 30 years ago and some of them are still running just fine.
What makes a gun a "junk gun" as you say?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#29]
LMT x39 bolts spent years and many rounds developing the stellar reputation they have.  This thread changes none of that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:49:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I have several LMT bolts.  I'd like some spare extractors.  Anyone have a source?  LMT chronically sold out / not available.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I have over 390 flawless rounds on my LWS EXTRACTOR in my LMT bolt from kuo1225.
It did require a little trimming of the lobstertail width to fit inside the LMT.

********I have a Small lot of spare extractors available for sale here in the ee.*******
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You're probably the first person in history to have a bad experience with LMT

I call BS
View Quote

nailed it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

nailed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call BS

nailed it.

I have the broken extractor.
Are you saying the extractor isn't broken?
BS what?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

BS what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call BS

nailed it.

BS what?

no no, the CS.

I find it quite hard to believe someone has had such a horrible experience with LMT's customer service that they did not address it with a supervisor at LMT, but came here to create an account and openly bash LMT and tell people not to purchase from them. I have never spent a dime with LMT yet, but have had nothing but positive experience with them... I had a bolt chip a couple lugs, sent a couple emails, pics, and explained that I didnt purchase it directly from them. They asked me to send it in for verification, They sent me a new one for free and then turned around and took care of something else. They engaged me in personal conversation and went above and beyond in my opinion.

So yes, I call BS on the CS experience. I know people have bad days, but all it takes is another phone call or an email to the right people to get an issue handled...

For reference I didnt sift through 4 pages of this.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm not sure of his experience but I called and emailed LMT and they told me they do not have extractors to sell me and they don't warranty them.
They told me they could sell me another complete X39 bolt at a small discount.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm not sure of his experience but I called and emailed LMT and they told me they do not have extractors to sell me and they don't warranty them.
View Quote

Reading this thread make me worry a lots. My LMT x39 bolt was only shot 80 rounds. If my bolt extractor decides to take the early retirement, I waste 165 bucks.

LMT still lists the x39 bolt on their website for $247 bucks. I think I got a good deal when I bought my x39 bolt few years ago. I just don't understand LMT business model. If LMT still has the bolt forsale, I think that LMT should sell the spare parts to support their customers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Reading this thread make me worry a lots. My LMT x39 bolt was only shot 80 rounds. If my bolt extractor decides to take the early retirement, I waste 165 bucks.

LMT still lists the x39 bolt on their website for $247 bucks. I think I got a good deal when I bought my x39 bolt few years ago. I just don't understand LMT business model. If LMT still has the bolt forsale, I think that LMT should sell the spare parts to support their customers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got it at sons of liberty gunworks for nearly half the price.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top