Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2016 10:36:24 AM EDT
This will be my fist AR 10 purchase. I have checked the archives as well as current YT videos.

Both guns seemed to have teething problems out of the gate, but I am looking for current owner feedback. The Sig especially, seems like a hit or miss purchase.

What would you buy today ? The SCAR is out of my reach unless I save up for several more months.

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
My Sig 3-gun has performed as I expected.  18" barrel, Geissele trigger and suppressed is a joy to shoot.  I have read the reports and yes some people have had problems.  Sig customer service has resolved the problems - maybe with great aggrevation.  Not aware of any documented failures to resolve a customer problem.  That is not to say it has not happened.  I have had no problems.  Based on my personal experience I can recommend the 716.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This will be my fist AR 10 purchase. I have checked the archives as well as current YT videos.

Both guns seemed to have teething problems out of the gate, but I am looking for current owner feedback. The Sig especially, seems like a hit or miss purchase.

What would you buy today ? The SCAR is out of my reach unless I save up for several more months.

Thank you in advance.
View Quote

I was faced with the same decision, but ultimately picked neither.  I wanted a matched set of ARs in 223 and 308.  The Ruger 556/762 weren't identical, but I felt they would be more accurate rifles than the Sig 516/716, which although identical in configuration, weren't known to be very accurate (actually precise) rifles.  I was leaning toward the Ruger specifically for precision, but ended up ultimately with far more accurate rifles - I got my matched set of Rock River X-1 rifles in 223 and 308.  They're match-grade tack drivers, and priced reasonably well, considering.  There are also other versions of the LAR-8 that are less expensive but also should be quite accurate such as the Varmint A4, which is under $1500 (MSRP).

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the sig 716 patrol. I love that gun. I did change the trigger (stock isnt very good) to a geissele sd-e and it amazing. The gun is heavy but it feels like a real tool in the hands. First thing i did when i got it was clean it and it has never given me a problem.

I heard all the stories and watched all of the videos. I was worried it was a bad gun. The people at 2 shops told me customers had only good reviews..... i bit, and im happy i did. 0 problems and more accurate than i am.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have the Sig 716 Patrol rifle.  I don't have any knocks against the trigger that came with it, but it really is just a stock AR trigger.  Mine is solid, reliable and more accurate than I am.  I never heard a single negative about the 716 until after I'd bought mine; most of the negatives seemed to come from essentially one person complaining in a bunch of different places that he didn't like the rifle.  

No experience with the Ruger.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I work at a small FFL and do occasional armory-level fixes for people. As I recall I've had two Ruger ARs come through the door for repairs and the quality control on both were pretty poor, one of them didn't even have all the retention springs in the receiver. The other hadn't had the buffer tube screwed in all the way and when I opened it up the buffer retaining pin shot out.
Now while this normally might be due to Bubba the gunsmith/tinkerer, I am certain that neither of these two guys were the type to open up the gun. It's hard to explain but it's easy to read when you talk to them, they'll gingerly clean their guns but they're under the impression there's something kind of mystical about working on them, not the type to swap out furniture on their own.
That's just my experience with two rifles, it shouldn't be taken as anything all-encompassing..

The second thing that worries me about Ruger is the use of UTG parts. I hate that they have sloppy QC with their tactical rifles, in my experience/exposure, because they make damn fine revolvers of which I own several.

My friend owns a Sig 716 and we go out and shoot together a fair bit, I've been behind it 6-7 times. Never had any issues with it, and he hasn't had any complaints. The only thing I dislike is how front-heavy it is, but being the owner of two LMT MWS rifles, it's nothing new, a Magpul UBR or PRS stock does wonders to "balance" them out, but it'll always be a heavy pig, relatively speaking.

I'm assuming by your choices you're looking to stick with a piston system? If not the entry level DPMS and new Armalite B models (accept SR-25 pattern magazines), are great for the money. I'll admit I was a little sour when my buddy shot a very close group to mine with his $900 DPMS he added a free float tube to, compared to my $2300 LMT, which is pretty much why I build my own now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#6]
as a rifle I got nothing but good to say about 716. I got my first one asap when they came out. then got an FDE patrol model about four years ago. love them both for what they are. big piston .308 rifles. ( kinda remind me of a civilian m110. )

its accurate, easy shooting, non gassy when suppressed, and a joy to shoot. it is heavy if your comparing it to non a r10 platforms. but the piston system beats out any stoner DI I have seen in any other ar 10.

that said, I sold one already because I shoot my rem 700 more, and ammo is pricey for long range days with a semi:D I just don't think the 716 should be a safe queen, its a solid worthy rifle. well worth the money. and frankly Id go with SIG over any company out there on product warranty.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought one of the Ruger SR762s from the first production run when they came out.

Only things I have changed on it was to replace the trigger with an ALH ACT trigger (stock was just a bit stiff and heavy)  and secondly replaced the stock with a Magpul ACS-L.

Have put about 5000 rounds or so through it to date with zero problems.  It is more accurate than I was expecting ans shoots consistent sub 1MOA out to 200 yards so far (with my handloads).

It has been a solid rifle so far, very happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't help with the SIG. Have a couple pistols and they are great.

The Ruger 762 I did have one and sold it off. Accuracy was terrible IMO. I have a DPMS Oracle that would out shoot it, for groups. Tried about every load I could find plus all my reloads that work great in ALL my other guns. Just wouldn't shoot worth a darn, 2MOA plus at 1000 yds. VERY disappointing. Also was on the heavy side. I would look for something else. There are plenty of 762's to choose from.

Personally I have a S&W M&P 10 308 that is my favorite. Perfect all round rifle, IMHO.  I would suggest you look into those but it's your decision.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an FE Sig 716 patrol for 4 years now. Only changes I made were a Magpul AFG, a Surefire SOCOM MB  and a Geissele SSA-E trigger. Has performed flawlessly. It has a Bushnell ERS FDE G2 3.5-21X50 score on it now and 5 shoot 100 yard groups using 168 grain SMK's are usually 1moa or better.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top