Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2016 10:03:35 PM EDT
Ive been gathering parts for my new build, so far i have the rifle pretty much together and I need to buy a buffer and spring.

So far my build is as follows.

Mega Maten Billet Upper.
22" Ballistic Advantage 6.5 CM Barrel with rifle length gas system
SLR Sentry 9 adjustable gas block
Spikes Tactical Melonited gas tube
15" SLR Solo Mlok Rail
Silencerco Specwar Break
Griffin SN-ACH charging handle

as for the lower

Mega Maten Billet Lower
Geiselle SSA-E
Battle Arms Billet ambi selector
Battle Arms Billet Mag Release
Rifle Length buffer tube
Magpul PRS Stock.

Which buffer would work best for my build? I was thinking about buying a Heavy Buffer from Slash, and one of his springs, I want some more input before I do.

Thanks, Chris.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a UBR on my MWS in 6.5CM. It had Slash's CAR10 buffer and spring specifically for the UBR. I contacted him as I was changing to a LUTH AR stock and asked for advice. He suggested the XH rifle buffer and extra power spring. I bought both and have only put 5 rounds through the gun. It had no issues I noticed (it would lock back, etc). I was shooting prone and it didn't seem to be throwing the brass very far but was putting them at about a 4 o'clock landing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
An Armalite ar10 rifle buffer and spring should work well. If you decide it needs a heavier buffer, pick up an H3 buffer and swap in a few tungsten weights from the H3.

An Armalite 308 buffer with three steel and three tungsten weights will weigh over 8oz.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm using the armalite ar10 buffer with my 24" criterion barrel right now. Brass looks pretty good. I've seen one primer blow with Winchester match ammo. I made a heavy buffer to play with. I can measure it if you want and get the exact weight. I'm thinking it's 8.3oz.

I tuned the rifle on factory 120gr Amax. I should probably fine tune for different loads.

I'm using a standard Aero M5 BCG, no fancy JP hotness for me
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:13:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ive been gathering parts for my new build, so far i have the rifle pretty much together and I need to buy a buffer and spring.

So far my build is as follows.

Mega Maten Billet Upper.
22" Ballistic Advantage 6.5 CM Barrel with rifle length gas system
SLR Sentry 9 adjustable gas block
Spikes Tactical Melonited gas tube
15" SLR Solo Mlok Rail
Silencerco Specwar Break
Griffin SN-ACH charging handle

as for the lower

Mega Maten Billet Lower
Geiselle SSA-E
Battle Arms Billet ambi selector
Battle Arms Billet Mag Release
Rifle Length buffer tube
Magpul PRS Stock.

Which buffer would work best for my build? I was thinking about buying a Heavy Buffer from Slash, and one of his springs, I want some more input before I do.

Thanks, Chris.
View Quote

Depends on:

* the gas port diameter

* What load you shoot

* What reamer was used for your chamber and how many cycles it had on it

* How the chamber was finished after reaming

* Your bolt carrier group and the competency of the shop who makes it with regard to bolt bore diameter, vent locations and diameters, gas ring quality

* Carrier key alignment

* Gas block attachment method

* Lubrication

I personally like the ArmaLite rifle buffers and springs, or the JP AR10 SCS for the type of stock and extension tube you're using (rifle length).
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Here is a standard Armalite 308 rifle buffer, you can see I've taken it apart and all six weights and the small parts are visible on the scale:

Here is the same buffer with three tungsten weights from an Armalite H3 buffer swapped in.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input. I will post some pictures later on this week. I will just go with the Armalite Buffer and spring and purchase some Tungsten to add to it if  be for fine tuning.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Since you're putting so many quality parts in this build I'm surprised no on has suggested a JP SCS buffer.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:54:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since you're putting so many quality parts in this build I'm surprised no on has suggested a JP SCS buffer.

View Quote

Bottom of the post, 4th up from yours...
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 4:32:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, missed that.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top