Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2016 8:26:37 AM EDT
I have a DPMS that is a slick side, bull barrel. I would really like to improve the upper I have.

What do you guys think of this complete upper:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPF30818U8459900

I'm guessing that since it's Pro Fab I shouldn't expect too much.

So, then my next question is what upper would you suggest instead? I'm looking to do some longer range shooting but also want to use it for hunting.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a proFab review that is up to 4 pages now. That is a nice looking upper especially for the price (with a rail). I didn't like the dpms slick side uppers, I bought the Lite Hunter, still has the dust cover, free float and 2 stage trigger. The weak spot is the aluminum gas block which can be replaced...

Profab says it is compatible with Palmetto. There are cosmetic lines that don't match up between, your dpms lower has a thick line around the top surface of the lower which corresponds to the upper. Palmetto lacks this, so there is overhang. I'd imagine the profab is the same.

Might be better off finding a dpms upper stripped or cheap and rebuilding it to what you want (new barrel and free float). Be aware of Extra high, high and low rail heights with DPMS uppers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#2]
From the range reports they are not bad.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
What would you suggest if I started with a stripped upper and built it from there? I'm open to the idea but am new to the .308ar so I don't know what components I would build with. If I can get something better by building it myself for around this price I'm open to the idea.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What would you suggest if I started with a stripped upper and built it from there? I'm open to the idea but am new to the .308ar so I don't know what components I would build with. If I can get something better by building it myself for around this price I'm open to the idea.
View Quote

Try to find an AERO m5 upper...or

This is on the equipment exchange. You could break this down, sell the barrel and handguard and replace with a 20" barrel and get a new rail.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is on the equipment exchange. You could break this down, sell the barrel and handguard and replace with a 20" barrel and get a new rail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

tactical machining has stripped uppers in stock but alot of stuff is scarce right now. Red X arms too...

FYI, you are going to need a barrel wrench and vice black too if you are going to a DIY route.

Fulton has some nice looking complete uppers in stock... but they run as much as quite a few complete rifles. http://www.fulton-armory.com/FAR-308-Complete-Uppers.aspx

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top