Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/5/2016 4:18:32 PM EDT
I searched for reviews of Live Free Armory 308s and didnt come up with much. Neither on ARFCOM or the googles. Not much out there that I found on this manufactures products.

Curious if anyone has any experience with them? Thoughts? Seems like a well put together rifle for the price vs say, an Armalite. I am in the market for a prebuilt 308 AR but on a budget of around $1000 (obviously excluding any optics)

http://www.livefreearmory.com/product/lf308-18-verse/

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Good looking rifles.  They appear to be built on Matrix Aerospace uppers and lowers (the same Ruger uses for their 762).
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:25:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good looking rifles.  They appear to be built on Matrix Aerospace uppers and lowers (the same Ruger uses for their 762).
View Quote

Thanks for the insight. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

How did you know about the Matrix receivers? I didn't see that on the website. Do you have another source for info/specs?

Anyone else have any thoughts on the rifle?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I just received my LF308 PR20. Haven't shot it yet, but it appears to be well-made, with the exception of the charging handle (latch sticks open, easy to correct). I sprang for the NiB BCG and Muzzle Rise Eliminator. Ordered in 2 boxes each of 5 different types of Match ammo, we'll she which one she has a taste for.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just received my LF308 PR20. Haven't shot it yet, but it appears to be well-made, with the exception of the charging handle (latch sticks open, easy to correct). I sprang for the NiB BCG and Muzzle Rise Eliminator. Ordered in 2 boxes each of 5 different types of Match ammo, we'll she which one she has a taste for.
View Quote

Awesome. Did you go with a colored cerekote finish? If so, how does it look? I read one or two reviews that said the rifle arrived with scratches on the finish.

Please keep us updated on your thoughts once you shoot the rifle. Looking forward to hearing how she shoots!
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Awesome. Did you go with a colored cerekote finish? If so, how does it look? I read one or two reviews that said the rifle arrived with scratches on the finish.

Please keep us updated on your thoughts once you shoot the rifle. Looking forward to hearing how she shoots!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered black. No scratches, finish looks great.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Still haven't shot the PR20,but thought I'd post up my impressions so far.

Sticking points:

1. The sticking charging handle latch was cured with a small drop of CLP.

2. The takedown pin detent doesn't assemble from the rear, it assembles from below like the safety detent (maybe all .308 ARs are like this?). The hole for the spring is threaded 6-32, but no retention screw was used to retain the spring. This was alleviated in short order by shortening the spring and adding a short 6-32 set screw.

3. The safety/selector lever wasn't clearanced enough on the backside to clear the boss on the receiver, and wore the finish off very quickly. Swapped for another safety lever and the problem went away.

Observations:

1. I wish it was offered with an A2 stock. I ordered mine with the collapsible Rogers stock, since the optional UBR didn't appeal to me Swapped it out with an A2 assembly (you'll need a .308 rifle buffer and spring to do this).

2. I opted for the LFA Muzzle Rise Eliminator, which seemed like a no-brainer at $40. I don't see this as an option on their current webpage, however.

3. I also opted for the Nickel Boron BCG, which again seemed like a no-brainer at $40.

4. Shipped in a hard case.

My opinion so far:

Despite some minor annoyances, I'm not ready to say this isn't a good deal. If you MUST have perfection out-of-the-box, it probably isn't for you. If you're not unwilling to do a couple minor tweaks, I don't think you'll be scared away, especially considering the price point.

Obviously, a rifle that won't shoot well isn't a value at ANY price point. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to shoot it, but as mentioned above, I've got 200rnds of 5 different types of ammo. I topped it with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 in an Aero mount.

I'll report back once I've sent some lead downrange. In the meantime, I can answer any questions anyone may have about the rifle itself.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]
My CMMG Mk3 has the detent under the grip like yours.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Any updates? I was thinking of purchasing one very soon.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump, I'm looking at one too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How did you know about the Matrix receivers? I didn't see that on the website. Do you have another source for info/specs?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked them and they told confirmed it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Found this today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eacCGfnzIMs
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 2:16:33 AM EDT
[#14]
On 10-24-16, I ordered a LF308 PR20. I was told since they build and Cerakote each rifle, it would ship in 3-5 business days. I thought, no big deal. On the 5th business day, I asked if the rifle was shipped and if so, supply a tracking number so I could forward that to my FFL dealer. They replied that they had an influx of orders and it should ship "today or tomorrow". A couple days passed and still no notification of shipping. I noticed they had 20+ listings on Gunbroker in different configurations (mine included) each listing lasting for 24 hours, so I asked why not send a rifle that did not sell on Gunbroker after the auction ended. They replied "all rifles are backordered". I thought that interesting: they are auctioning rifles that they don't have in stock. IMHO, no business should be listing auction items that are backordered. On business day 10, I got an email from the co-owner of the company stating they had a machine go down and it would be at least another 5 days. I promptly had them refund my money.

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I ordered one and drove an hour or so over to their shop to pick it up. Mine was ready to pick up in 4 days. Pretty small place. Everyone I came in contact with was polite and friendly, talked to the owner for a bit and he was pretty cool too (gave me a free t shirt ). It was my first AR platform rifle so he also showed me how to break it down etc. Overall it was a positive experience although I haven't shot it yet it looks good.

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone else have experience with these. I'm looking for something I can shoot 200 yards very accurately with for deer next year.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its listed in the middle of their homepage.  click   "Among our list of well-regarded customers are Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, BAE Systems, Barnes Aerospace, Sturm, Ruger & Co. and General Dynamics."

EDIT:  Just relized how old the replies are

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:13:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Its listed in the middle of their homepage.  click   "Among our list of well-regarded customers are Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, BAE Systems, Barnes Aerospace, Sturm, Ruger & Co. and General Dynamics."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bumped it, my fault. I was looking for some range reports now that they have been out for a while.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine, a 20"-barreled LF308 Hunter in tungsten...
http://www.livefreearmory.com/product/lf308-hunter/
...will arrive in Phoenix tomorrow the 28th.  Took a couple weeks longer than I expected, but the owner, Christopher Riedeman, was fairly communicative and friendly.  I'll take along factory ammo and my cleaning kit and shoot it that afternoon, so we'll know at least if it works.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mine, a 20"-barreled LF308 Hunter in tungsten...
http://www.livefreearmory.com/product/lf308-hunter/
...will arrive in Phoenix tomorrow the 28th.  Took a couple weeks longer than I expected, but the owner, Christopher Riedeman, was fairly communicative and friendly.  I'll take along factory ammo and my cleaning kit and shoot it that afternoon, so we'll know at least if it works.  
View Quote

Please report back with a range report. Are you going to use irons or a optic? Shoot out to 200 if possible  
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Please report back with a range report. Are you going to use irons or a optic? Shoot out to 200 if possible  
View Quote

I'll be using a scope, but I won't be going to a range tomorrow, just to a 'local' shooting spot to see that it works and to get some bullets thru the barrel.  The range will be open Wed., but it'll be Thurs. before I can get there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:59:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Got out Tuesday; see http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/706004_Live_Free_Armory_AR308__my_impressions.html

So far so very-good!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top