Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2016 11:37:29 AM EDT
A good friend wants me to build him a 243 ar10. He has looked at the Remington r25 and doesn't like it, too long and too heavy. He wants it as short and light as possible but for it to still be accurate, it's going to be a hunting rifle, shots will very rarely be 300 yards. Most will be 200 or less.
I found that black hole weaponry has made to order 243 barrels that are 16" so here come the questions.......

Does BHW make quality barrels that will be accurate?

What twist rate is best for 243 in a 16" barrel, the options are 1/8, 1/9 & 1/10 ?

What length gas system carbine or mid?

If it is a light profile would it be OK to have it fluted?

Thanks guys, before it's brought up I have tried to convince him to get a different caliber but he is dead set on the 243
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I tried the .243 20" barrel setup in one of my Armalite AR10's...purchased new as a .243.  Great shooting cartridge, and I still have a bolt gun in that caliber for which I reload.  I ended up shooting my 20" .308 Armalite AR10 way more even though it's not as "fast" and "flat" as the .243.  I swapped the .243 barrel for a 16" pencil Armalite .308 to get a carbine AR10 and love it.  The .243 barrel is sitting in the closet and will probably remain there.  I love .243, but it's mainly in a good bolt rifle.  I agree with you trying to talk him out of it.  Not a bad AR10 cartridge, but there are better semiauto cartridges out there for the big AR's.

Edit:  I'll add something else here.  His wanting a 16" barrel .243 is not generally considered anything close to optimum for that cartridge.  Even in the new Ruger Precision Rifle in that caliber, a 26" barrel is the way to go.  I'm not saying that one needs a 26" barrel to make .243 work, but it's very obvious it's a longer barrel cartridge for good performance.  Anything less than 20" in an AR10 .243 is probably a waste.  If he wants 16", the .308 is a cartridge that does quite well in a shorter platform.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an armalite ar 10 .243.  Mine is accurate but a tad heavy.  Really notice it when lugging it around all day.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A good friend wants me to build him a 243 ar10. He has looked at the Remington r25 and doesn't like it, too long and too heavy. He wants it as short and light as possible but for it to still be accurate, it's going to be a hunting rifle, shots will very rarely be 300 yards. Most will be 200 or less.
I found that black hole weaponry has made to order 243 barrels that are 16" so here come the questions.......

Does BHW make quality barrels that will be accurate?

What twist rate is best for 243 in a 16" barrel, the options are 1/8, 1/9 & 1/10 ?

What length gas system carbine or mid?

If it is a light profile would it be OK to have it fluted?

Thanks guys, before it's brought up I have tried to convince him to get a different caliber but he is dead set on the 243
View Quote

Muzzle blast will be terrible! For .243 I would not go shorter than 20" mirrors on your vehicle will not like 18 1/2" or shorter in that caliber.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I think going to an 18" barrel will be OK with him. I don't think he will want to go 20, that being said I think the r25 he looked at had a 24" barrel so 20 might work but I think 18 would be preferable if the cartridge will perform at the ranges above and be accurate
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
BHW does make very accurate 243  barrels that will fit the bill for your needs. Their site has so many choices it makes your head spin. If he won't go past an 18" I would go carbine if it were my build but the blast, as noted, wil be a bit heavy IMHO
Greg
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BHW does make very accurate 243  barrels that will fit the bill for your needs. Their site has so many choices it makes your head spin. If he won't go past an 18" I would go carbine if it were my build but the blast, as noted, wil be a bit heavy IMHO
Greg
View Quote

I would think a longer gas system would be better. They don't even offer carbine length in an 18" barrel length. Probably for good reason. It is a really overbore cartridge. Rifle length would make sense. It would be a crazy amount of port pressure at carbine. If it were a 5.56 based round and not .308 based then I could understand carbine or mid (like 6x45).

I would probably go with 1:8 twist to make up for the barrel length.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would think a longer gas system would be better. They don't even offer carbine length in an 18" barrel length. Probably for good reason. It is a really overbore cartridge. Rifle length would make sense. It would be a crazy amount of port pressure at carbine. If it were a 5.56 based round and not .308 based then I could understand carbine or mid (like 6x45).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Greg

You are right on the gss. A mid would be better.  I think too much about smaller capacity  rounds.  I would also go 1:8 on the twist.  I find myself clicking that on anything over s 6X45.

Greg
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You are right on the gss. A mid would be better.  I think too much about smaller capacity  rounds.  I would also go 1:8 on the twist.  I find myself clicking that on anything over a 6X45.

Greg
View Quote

Rifle would be even better.  1/8" 18" light profile with rifle length gas would make a great hunting rifle.  Pair it up with a 2A Arms receiver set and a lightweight rail and stock.  The 1/8" twist would also allow him to use 105gr rounds if he ever decided to stretch its legs.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Rifle would be even better.  1/8" 18" light profile with rifle length gas would make a great hunting rifle.  Pair it up with a 2A Arms receiver set and a lightweight rail and stock.  The 1/8" twist would also allow him to use 105gr rounds if he ever decided to stretch its legs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are right on the gss. A mid would be better.  I think too much about smaller capacity  rounds.  I would also go 1:8 on the twist.  I find myself clicking that on anything over a 6X45.

Greg

I think on the big frame light is always good.

Greg
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When we were making 243 uppers for our LAR-8, a 20" 1:10 HBAR with a rifle-length gas system gave us the best overall performance with most commercially available factory loads.
Steve/RRA
View Quote

On my Armalite, all the research I could find about .243 AR10 seemed to indicate that 20" was about optimal for a semiauto.  Even though .243 uses the .308 parent case, it has some decently different ballistic characteristics and requirements from what I've learned in my limited exposure with bolt and semiauto .243 and loading for that cartridge.  I would really encourage the OP's friend to not go less than 20" for a .243 AR10, and frankly, I'd really suggest going to another caliber in the bigger AR platform.  In that platform I'd go with 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Rem or the tried-and-true .308 before doing another .243.  I'm keeping my .243 bolt gun.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a DPMS AR 10 243. Heavy pig. Sold it. Have him lift one if he can find one. Think he will change his mind after lifting it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had a DPMS AR 10 243. Heavy pig. Sold it. Have him lift one if he can find one. Think he will change his mind after lifting it.
View Quote

I have a 15 lb AR15.  I also have one that's sub 4 lbs.  AR10s are no different, just because one is heavy doesn't mean they all are.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have a 15 lb AR15.  I also have one that's sub 4 lbs.  AR10s are no different, just because one is heavy doesn't mean they all are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree fully with Josh here. If you pay attention to weight you can make a AR-10 pretty trim
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top