Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2016 11:59:41 PM EDT
Just finished putting together my first AR build today in 6.8 REM SPC, with help from a black gun nut friend of mine.  Parts used:

- PSA CTR complete lower (blem)

- Aero Precision complete upper (blem)

- Black Hole Weaponry 18" 3R 1/11" twist medium length barrel

- Alex Pro Arms NiB BCG

- Anderson Arms adj. gas block

- Diamondhead 13" rail

- Wilson Combat flash hider

- Vortex 1-6x24 Strike Eagle glass

Question for those of you who use Anderson Arms adjustable gas blocks.  Were the set screws really hard to move when first installing the unit?  I ask because the angled set screw that holds the gas adjuster screw in place was in so tight I stripped it trying to pry it open for its first adjustment.  So now I have to buy a new set screw, and I'm not even sure of its size.  But other than that, I'm really happy with the way the build came together.

After breaking the barrel in and rolling some loads for it, I'm hoping the groups I get with this piece will be as good as some of the others I've seen in 6.8 REM SPC.  Thanks for reading.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks nice. Let me know about how the recoil is on that vs. the 556. I cannot deal with the higher recoil thus why I stick with the 556. Although I haven't tried the 25-45 yet but want to.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#2]
nice looking rifle. I can't answer the gas block question but I bet anderson would send you out a new screw if you asked them.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I was just looking at one of those barrels yesterday.  Let us know how it works for you.  It looks like a solid build to me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice looking rig. As mentioned, I would call the manufacture for info and/or the set screw. Most are pretty good and help you out either way.

Keep us updated on its performance.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice looking rifle.
I have that handguard in a 15in on one rifle and really like it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks nice. Let me know about how the recoil is on that vs. the 556. I cannot deal with the higher recoil thus why I stick with the 556. Although I haven't tried the 25-45 yet but want to.
View Quote
My 50 lb. 8 year old son hunts with a 16" 6.8 SPC II using handloads that I load pretty hot and he can handle the recoil. It isn't much more than 5.56.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was just looking at one of those barrels yesterday.  Let us know how it works for you.  It looks like a solid build to me.
View Quote

Really hard to go wrong with BHW barrels.  I've got three and all shoot well and punch above their class, in terms of length.

OP - very nice looking setup.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
That is a sharp looking rig. I'm looking forward to a range report.

Greg
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#9]
is that a Rem Spec 1 chamber or the spec 2?

I would suspect that your new rifle should shoot sub MOA just like the 5 (banned manufacture) uppers I have
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
is that a Rem Spec 1 chamber or the spec 2?
I would suspect that your new rifle should shoot sub MOA just like the 5 (banned manufacture) uppers I have
View Quote

SPEC II

Greg
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#11]
<Read the tracked threads - F >
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My 50 lb. 8 year old son hunts with a 16" 6.8 SPC II using handloads that I load pretty hot and he can handle the recoil. It isn't much more than 5.56.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 16" midlength 6.8, and I would have a hard time telling the difference between it and my 16" carbine length AR shooting 5.56 loads.  Now, my carbine is a pretty light rifle and my 6.8 is heavier, but between a pretty modest weight difference and gas length the recoil virtually evens out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice looking rifle.
I have that handguard in a 15in on one rifle and really like it.
View Quote

that 15" will be going on my build in progress, if it ever comes in stock. I'll pay the higher price if it comes to waiting on it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks to all for the compliments...I'm pretty stoked about it!  I was lucky enough to get both the handguard and the glass from the same black gun nut who helped me put this together.  He's on a completely different level when it comes to The Male Barbie, so suffice it to say it worked out well for me.

Right now the rifle is a really expensive paperweight given my issues with the gas block, but I'm hoping to get the set screw I need (and spares) in by next weekend so I can take it to the range.

Speaking of range time, I'll be sure to post up chrono and group data from both the Federal factory and rolled cartridges I'll have with me.  I might have to discount the accuracy results until the BBL is properly broken in based on what my black gun nut friend said (he has two BHW barrels in different builds), but the velocity data should be good.

I'll also have to discern what performance difference (if any) exists between the Federal (small primer) and Remington (large primer) brass I'll be using.  There will also be pill weight differences in addition to primer size difference; the factory Federal will have 115gr FMJ pills, and my rolled cartridges will have 110gr FMJ pills.  I'm familiar with the different size primer issue with 45ACP, but the powder quantity is much greater with rifle cartridges (more to burn).  We shall see...

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I ask because the angled set screw that holds the gas adjuster screw in place was in so tight I stripped it trying to pry it open for its first adjustment.  So now I have to buy a new set screw, and I'm not even sure of its size.

View Quote

Follow up this observation.  After contacting Anderson Arms (they responded to my email first thing this AM), it turns out that being the n00b I am at AR builds, by removing that screw I ended up ruining a perfectly good gas block.  That screw I removed was never meant to be removed in the first place, so that was a big-time FAIL.  Just wanted to clarify...this was strictly "operator error" when it came to my gas block follies.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Follow up this observation.  After contacting Anderson Arms (they responded to my email first thing this AM), it turns out that being the n00b I am at AR builds, by removing that screw I ended up ruining a perfectly good gas block.  That screw I removed was never meant to be removed in the first place, so that was a big-time FAIL.  Just wanted to clarify...this was strictly "operator error" when it came to my gas block follies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ask because the angled set screw that holds the gas adjuster screw in place was in so tight I stripped it trying to pry it open for its first adjustment.  So now I have to buy a new set screw, and I'm not even sure of its size.

did they offer anything other than "you're dumb" ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope...but I figured since I was the one who ruined it, I really had no expectation of receiving anything more from them.  The package didn't come with any instructions, so maybe that could have been helpful.  Then again, people who order gas blocks for AR builds should know what they are doing, right?  But the good news is the black gun nut ordered another one from them, and will just trade blocks with me (he will repair the one I have now).
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nope...but I figured since I was the one who ruined it, I really had no expectation of receiving anything more from them.  The package didn't come with any instructions, so maybe that could have been helpful.  Then again, people who order gas blocks for AR builds should know what they are doing, right?  But the good news is the black gun nut ordered another one from them, and will just trade blocks with me (he will repair the one I have now).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's odd to me that no instructions at all, like you're just supposed to know that removing the screw kills it.  glad you'll be ok through the benevolence of a friend.

also glad I learned this about their gas blocks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

it's odd to me that no instructions at all, like you're just supposed to know that removing the screw kills it.  glad you'll be ok through the benevolence of a friend.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, it seems very strange there wasn't at lest a little piece of paper saying "Don't remove the screw or you'll destroy your gas block!"
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#20]
When you say "Anderson Arms" do you mean Anderson Manufacturing?

Hard to believe something gets ruined by removing a screw. I don't know what you did but if it were mine I would be attempting to fix it by re-threading it the next size up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I suppose the block still works fully open; it's the adjustability piece that is now questionable, and I certainly I don't want to try and experiment with my investment. Once that set screw is replaced, it should work again; hence the reason why my black gun nut friend wants to swap this out for me and repair this one.  And yes, I meant Anderson Manufacturing.  I'll post pics of this set screw when I swap blocks out so others don't make the same mistake I did.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#22]
OK, so I finally got around to replacing the gas block that I broke.  Here's a pic of what that screw I mistakenly removed from the block is supposed to look like installed:

And here's the aftermath of my forced removal:

Notice the spring coming out...not good.  So, in brief, don't take this screw out, and you'll have an adjustable gas block that works great.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Was finally able to take this rig out to make sure it works after installing the new, unbroken-by-me gas block.

I haven't had time to roll any cartridges for this piece, so for the test I used 20 Federal (American Eagle) 115gr FMJ cartridges.

All shots taken from 50 yards on a bench with rear sand bag and plastic front rest.  Initial glass sighting in:

After glass was good, then another 10 shots:

Very happy with the results using factory loads and crappy MILSPEC trigger.  I fully expect to get much better results once barrel is broken in, and the use of handloads/better trigger.

I did see ejector marks on the brass, so I'm assuming this is from the action being over-gassed...would this be correct?  If so, I'm assuming this is why everyone told me to get an adjustable gas block:

I also had some feed issues with the 10 round mags I was using.  The C Products mag seemed to work better than the ASC mags, but they both had feed issues.  Could this be the length of the factory cartridges, or are mag issues common in this caliber?

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Was finally able to take this rig out to make sure it works after installing the new, unbroken-by-me gas block.

I haven't had time to roll any cartridges for this piece, so for the test I used 20 Federal (American Eagle) 115gr FMJ cartridges.

All shots taken from 50 yards on a bench with rear sand bag and plastic front rest.  Initial glass sighting in:

<a href="http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/trashysquid/media/68%20REM%20SPC%20Build/Sighting%20In%206.8%2013%20May%2016_zpsvv2yybv2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/trashysquid/68%20REM%20SPC%20Build/Sighting%20In%206.8%2013%20May%2016_zpsvv2yybv2.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/trashysquid/media/68%20REM%20SPC%20Build/50yd%20Zero%206.8%2013%20May%2016_zpsszjvh3id.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/trashysquid/68%20REM%20SPC%20Build/50yd%20Zero%206.8%2013%20May%2016_zpsszjvh3id.jpg</a>

Very happy with the results using factory loads and crappy MILSPEC trigger.  I fully expect to get much better results once barrel is broken in, and the use of handloads/better trigger.

I did see ejector marks on the brass, so I'm assuming this is from the action being over-gassed...would this be correct?  If so, I'm assuming this is why everyone told me to get an adjustable gas block:

<a href="http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/trashysquid/media/68%20REM%20SPC%20Build/20160513_194926_zpsatpzmeoa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/trashysquid/68%20REM%20SPC%20Build/20160513_194926_zpsatpzmeoa.jpg</a>

I also had some feed issues with the 10 round mags I was using.  The C Products mag seemed to work better than the ASC mags, but they both had feed issues.  Could this be the length of the factory cartridges, or are mag issues common in this caliber?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/trashysquid/media/68%20REM%20SPC%20Build/Sighting%20In%206.8%2013%20May%2016_zpsvv2yybv2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/trashysquid/68%20REM%20SPC%20Build/Sighting%20In%206.8%2013%20May%2016_zpsvv2yybv2.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/trashysquid/media/68%20REM%20SPC%20Build/50yd%20Zero%206.8%2013%20May%2016_zpsszjvh3id.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/trashysquid/68%20REM%20SPC%20Build/50yd%20Zero%206.8%2013%20May%2016_zpsszjvh3id.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/trashysquid/media/68%20REM%20SPC%20Build/20160513_194926_zpsatpzmeoa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/trashysquid/68%20REM%20SPC%20Build/20160513_194926_zpsatpzmeoa.jpg</a>

It could be you just need to break it in.
I always run the charging handle 200 times before firing any new build.
20 rounds is not enough for a break in.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What parts(s)...the mags or the BCG/charging handle?  And I know this piece is far from being broken in; from what I gather, the barrel needs about another 80 rounds or so before cleaning to get enough copper in the lands to ensure proper performance.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks promising to me, considering you haven't sent to many rounds down range yet.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Looks promising to me, considering you haven't sent to many rounds down range yet.  

View Quote

Thanks!  But pills that were accurate today might not be once there's a layer of copper built up in the lands after break-in, but you are right in that it definitely looks promising!  I've read nothing but good things about Black Hole Weaponry barrels, and given this result I'm starting to see why.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What parts(s)...the mags or the BCG/charging handle?  And I know this piece is far from being broken in; from what I gather, the barrel needs about another 80 rounds or so before cleaning to get enough copper in the lands to ensure proper performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use the charging handle to work the BCG a couple hundred times.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top