Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2016 9:28:29 PM EDT
Thinking about putting together a precision AR in 260, but seems there is not a lot of them out there.

I want to put together a lightweight rifle that is right at, or just under 7lbs with a 20' Lilja barrel.

Anybody shooting 260? Velocity? Results? Things to look out for?

ETA: Not interested in 6.5G, 6.8SPC, or 6.5CM.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
With something that light, you might want to start with the 2A xanthos receiver set and a bunch of ti parts. That's pretty ambitious for an AR10.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thinking about putting together a precision AR in 260, but seems there is not a lot of them out there.

I want to put together a lightweight rifle that is right at, or just under 7lbs with a 20' Lilja barrel.

Anybody shooting 260? Velocity? Results? Things to look out for?

ETA: Not interested in 6.5G, 6.8SPC, or 6.5CM.
View Quote

The biggest black gun nut I know has a very fine 260 WIN build using primarily LMT wares, but it certainly is not a lightweight piece.  He uses it primarily as a bench rest weapon.

He uses a 22" 1/10 twist barrel, and 90gr pills over RL-15 get pushed to about 3220 fps.  Using 130gr pills over H331 (short cut), those get pushed to about 3030 fps.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With something that light, you might want to start with the 2A xanthos receiver set and a bunch of ti parts. That's pretty ambitious for an AR10.
View Quote

That is exactly what I'm lookin at, and I put together a spreadsheet that shows it is possible.

Xanthos receivers
V7 Ti BCG
SLR Ti Adjustible gas block
SLR Solo Ultralight hand guard
Vltor Imod
and as much Ti or reduced weight parts as I can find.

Most of the weight will come from the Lilja barrel which comes in at 2.7 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That is exactly what I'm lookin at, and I put together a spreadsheet that shows it is possible.

Xanthos receivers
V7 Ti BCG
Vltor Imod

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Xanthos receivers
V7 Ti BCG
Vltor Imod

Almost anything can be acomplished with the right amount of $.
It is ambitious goal  as BOR mentioned.
I'm gonna guess that you will sacrifice in the buffer, though.
My bet is your'e gonna need a heavy buffer, even with adjustable gas..just a hunch.
And while a cool toy, its gonna have a lil recoil, sounds like fun though.

If 2A comes out with an A10 bcg with with adj gas like the one I just used in an AR15 build, that would save alot of weight.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm almost done with a nearly identical build; I'll post an AAR once it's fully together.

Specs:
Aero Precision M5 Lower/Stripped Upper
Aero Precision NiB BCG
Lilja 20" .750 barrel
Silencerco Specwar/ASR Brake
SLR adjustable gas block
15" SLR Solo
Magpul PRS stock
Magpul MIAD
Timney Trigger
American Defense 20MOA mount
Vortex PST 6-24x50

Still waiting on the LPK and buffertube/buffer/spring from Aero, but once that arrives I'll be ready.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top