Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2016 10:45:43 PM EDT

I am trying to optimize a load for my super-short 300 BLK. It has the KAK 6.25" barrel on it, which means I need as quick a burn as possible to get max velocity out of my 110 barnes blacktip loads. My go-to plan was Lil'gun or H110 but I'm wondering if any pistol powder experts can recommend what's the fastest (safe) powder to get max vel and max burn with a very quick impulse. I'd hate to go max-load H110 (19.0-20.0 depending on the reloader/gun) and then blow huge fireballs and unburnt particles, as that's what I'm trying to get AWAY from afa moving to BLK from 5.56.

Caveats:

>The gas port is .120 or .125 (forgot) and has about 3/4" of dwell time with regards to placement - pistol gas. It is metered with a SLR Sentry 7 Ti.

>BCG is a Boomfab Titane.

>Springs and buffer are MVB ARC standard.

Please advise.

Customary Pic:

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
AR15 Reloading forum

Sounds like your thinking along the right path.

Lots of great into in this area. Theres a post a few pages in that's all 300blk, nearly 100 pages

Nice SBR you have there
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Very cool SBR, I have nothing more to add.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
No normal pistol powder is going to produce maximum velocity from that barrel. Magnum pistol powders will, fireballs will happen in. Barrel that short and loaded to function. Especially running light bullets which require more powder. You'll have to decide what you prefer, less fire or more speed. Personally, I'd look at heavier bullets to keep FPE up and retain function with less powder. You're dealing with .357 magnum pistol ballistics at that length, similar charge weights and capacity. .357 throws fireballs. I've had good luck with Lil Gun, 2400, h110, a1680. Lil gun has gotten too velocity for me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No normal pistol powder is going to produce maximum velocity from that barrel. Magnum pistol powders will, fireballs will happen in. Barrel that short and loaded to function. Especially running light bullets which require more powder. You'll have to decide what you prefer, less fire or more speed. Personally, I'd look at heavier bullets to keep FPE up and retain function with less powder. You're dealing with .357 magnum pistol ballistics at that length, similar charge weights and capacity. .357 throws fireballs. I've had good luck with Lil Gun, 2400, h110, a1680. Lil gun has gotten too velocity for me.
View Quote

Normal pistol powders aren't appropriate for 300 Blackout.  You use magnum powders like Lil' Gun.  Since the 300 Blackout is, when you boil it down, really a magnum pistol round (as are the .30 Carbine and the 7.62 Tokarev).

Definitely check out the Reloading Forum.  There's an extensive thread dedicated to the 300 Blackout that should help you out.

Why such a short barrel?  My short upper has an 8" barrel and it's really, really short!
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Normal pistol powders aren't appropriate for 300 Blackout.  You use magnum powders like Lil' Gun.  Since the 300 Blackout is, when you boil it down, really a magnum pistol round (as are the .30 Carbine and the 7.62 Tokarev).

Definitely check out the Reloading Forum.  There's an extensive thread dedicated to the 300 Blackout that should help you out.

Why such a short barrel?  My short upper has an 8" barrel and it's really, really short!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the responses guys. Can ADMIN/Mods move this thread or do I just have to clone it in the reloading forum? You'd think I'd know by now but I've never had to move a thread.

I guess it comes down to pressure, you can really only get a continuous pressure impulse for time period that the bullet is in the barrel, and you can't exceed pressure limitations AFA chamber/barrel are concerned. I guess I'll just have to try some different combinations of 110 bullet + ? dot, 1680, H110, Lil Gun, and who knows what else.

I went with such a short barrel (and optionally only a thread cap) because I wanted a truck or backpack gun that can truly be carried in the smallest configuration. The weapon is 18.6" collapsed and about 26" extended. Unlike my 7.5" 5.56 w/Law folding adapter, This one has somewhat decent terminal ballistics with regards to FP of energy and hopefully won't be full retard with the fireballs. It CAN also be shot in the super-short configuration. That's my reasoning. Everything down to the grip screw is Ti or lightened other than the MVB Arc. I wish I'd have had my machine shop mill it out to skeletonize it before I had it cerakoted.

I also wish I'd have had them make me some new stock rods. They could be about .8" longer and still not hit the bolt release. Also, MVB needs to fucking melonite their stock rods. The blueing is bullshit and I've already had surface rust-ish. Trying to keep a faint bit of Lucas Extreme gun oil on them.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Normal pistol powders Not appropriate for 300blackout in an autoloader to be more specific. I've shot tons of subs over BE, red dot, 700x, unique, etc... In a single shot or bolt action.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#7]
playing with quickload shows that 2400 may work out. it's only 3000 psi at the port behind h110 and shows 97% burn with a 110 barnes. regardless which powder you choose the hotter the load the higher amount will be burned. also looks like AA#9 may work and it's a flash suppressed powder from what I gather. either way sweet build and look forward to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Lil gun or h110 all the way
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top