Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2016 3:02:35 PM EDT
Hey fellas....have any of you tried putting the PRI hand guard on the new DPMS G2? If so, do you have any pics?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think they've made a barrel nut for it yet. I'd imagine it would be easy, their design is pretty simple.

I had the Delta style in my MaTen. I really like that handguard. Almost got it again for the Armalite, but decided against it. Was trying to go for a semi affordable build instead of balls to the wall.

I'm waiting for receiver sets, carriers, and third party barrels before i get into the GII platform. My armalite is still manageable, not any more cumbersome than my AR15. Both are 20" barrels, the AR10 only has 1.5lbs on the AR15 unloaded. Can't tell the difference when picking them up, but the AR10 is more center heavy. It's balance better. My goto AR15 is a little front heavy. I held a GII hunter i think. Whatever the 20" one is, and it felt just like my 15, a little front heavy. Would be fixed with a different stock.

In itching for another build. Too many choices. Is either a pistol caliber AR, a short duty driven 308 upper, maybe 338fed upper in 12.5", or something else entirely. I would love a compact 338fed in the GII.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:maybe 338fed upper in 12.5", or something else entirely. I would love a compact 338fed in the GII.
View Quote

+1. I'm in the same boat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I am gonna go with at least a 20" barrel. There was an article in Recoil magazine a few years ago that had an AR-10 with the PRI rail and a 22" Proof Research barrel made of carbon fiber. I really want to replicate it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I run the PRI on my DMR 556

it is very light weight and very stable

according to DMPS:

INCREASED .223 PLATFORM HANDGUARD ADAPTABILITY</h5>

Accepts more 2 piece MSR handguards than previous LR-308. Newly designed barrel nut allows the use of .223 diameter free float handguard systems.

I would ask someone at PRI but it sounds like the 556 PRI barrel nut should fit

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I run the PRI on my DMR 556

it is very light weight and very stable

according to DMPS:

INCREASED .223 PLATFORM HANDGUARD ADAPTABILITY</h5>Accepts more 2 piece MSR handguards than previous LR-308. Newly designed barrel nut allows the use of .223 diameter free float handguard systems.

I would ask someone at PRI but it sounds like the 556 PRI barrel nut should fit

View Quote

I had heard/read that same thing, too. You read my mind.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#6]
No 5.56 barrel nut will fit the GII.  I don't know what thread pattern the GII is, but it's not 1.25x18.  It's smaller than an LR308, but larger than the AR-15.  You could possibly have a smith open up a 5.56 barrel nut to fit the GII.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
the main issue I see with the PRI set up is that it existed before
the advent of the spr cantilever scope base

Is there a need for the unitizing rail set up?

or does the larue mount solve the scope placement issue?

It does look quite cool

but it is a sexy beast

the carbon and aluminum railed PRI tube is 13-16 ounces

an ALG handguard weighs about the same at half the cost

The industry has moved on in the last 10 years

a buddy has a rock river with a quad rail aluminum solid tube handguard

it must weigh 2 pounds
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the main issue I see with the PRI set up is that it existed before the advent of the spr cantilever scope base

Is there a need for the unitizing rail set up?

or does the larue mount solve the scope placement issue?

It does look quite cool

http://www.precisionreflex.com/UIImages/10026/mark12_8.jpg

but it is a sexy beast

http://i43.tinypic.com/2u40h8m.jpg

the carbon and aluminum railed PRI tube is 13-16 ounces

an ALG handguard weighs about the same at half the cost

The industry has moved on in the last 10 years

a buddy has a rock river with a quad rail aluminum solid tube handguard
it must weigh 2 pounds
View Quote

Wes at MSTN told me the same thing, essentially. Still, it is one of my favorite hand guards both visually and functionally. I'm shooting for a build that mimics the Mk12 Mod H, but in a 7.62 version and without the collar and Ops Inc brake. Of course there was never such a beast in 7.62, so calling it a "clone" would be incorrect. Just kind of a crazy idea I have had floating around in my head since seeing that article in Recoil magazine with the Armalite. Instead of the DPMS, I may be forced to use one of the newer Armalite Defender 10's or go with an A-Model.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Funny, I just had the same idea and this turned up on a search. I may give it a try, the barrel nut looks easy enough to make.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]
No, it won't work.  You need a custom barrel nut made, unless the PRI will dress up on the existing free float nuts for the GII.

The PRI handguards are pretty dated.  For carbon fiber, they are bulky and heavy, two of the main problems the GII intended to address by going smaller and lighter.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, it won't work.  You need a custom barrel nut made, unless the PRI will dress up on the existing free float nuts for the GII.

The PRI handguards are pretty dated.  For carbon fiber, they are bulky and heavy, two of the main problems the GII intended to address by going smaller and lighter.
View Quote

Dated or not, it is still my favorite handguard.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've almost begged them to make a "Delta 2" version, a little lighter with a standard top rail height. They could change to a newer style barrel nut at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

I almost went with these guys but here were running a bit heavier than my APEX.  I opted to stay with the Apex...but darn it, one of the newer Deltas would have looked nice.

That being said.....the Apex is pretty hot, too.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I can agree that these are semi obsolete. They aren't the lightest, and everybody and their brother makes an uninterrupted top rail with modular sections. With that said, I love them. So solid, and dead sexy. I have 4 at the moment. Gen3 round tubes on a SPR 5.56 build and an 18" 308. Deltas on a A2 dissy and a 308 dissy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:56:11 AM EDT
[#16]
You will however notice on the cantilevered scope mount
that you can easily push the scope bell with your thumb

on the spr rail it is much more stable scope position
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top