AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2016 11:28:11 PM EDT
I know this has been discussed before, but

What do you guys like to use?
Any inexpensive option? Don't plan on building more than 1 .308
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#1]
What do guys like to use, or what actually works and comes from a reputable vendor?
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 2:39:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Geissele reaction rod, moly lube, torque wrench, large bench vise, breaker bar.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This

ETA:  You could sell the reaction rod on the EE after you're done.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I'll represent the anti-reaction rod vote. Plenty of threads here on the not-so-great results of using them. They are also crazy expensive for .308.

Here's an option that has zero downsides and is cheap:

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/products/308-ar-10-lr308-pin-upper-receiver-vise-block

Supports the upper on the top and bottom. Just need a good vice wide enough to take it, which they say is only 3.5".

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess I'll represent the anti-reaction rod vote. Plenty of threads here on the not-so-great results of using them. They are also crazy expensive for .308.

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/products/308-ar-10-lr308-pin-upper-receiver-vise-block

Supports the upper on the top and bottom. Just need a good vice wide enough to take it, which they say is only 3.5".

-Stooxie
View Quote

I used one of those last week to install a 6.5 creedmoor barrel and also used on of their barrel vice blocks to install a muzzle brake.  It worked flawlessly and don't think it can be beat for the price.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the above!
Read no so good  things on the reaction rods!
I use the plastx for my 308 builds
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got some delrin blocks from armalite. Works for both ar15 and ar10. Will work with other uppers, but you might need to file a bit on the lower portion. I filed mine and it works on Aero uppers Maten uppers, armalite, tons of ar15 both forged and billet.

I like the ones that sandwich the upper. Have never had an issue with them. A 6" vice is best, or you can get by with a C-clamp, a 2x4, and a sturdy table.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is no other answer than this.  The reaction rod is a great tool.  

Edit...  This is what Midwest Industries uses in the shop.  I trust them to know what they are doing.  That's good enough for me.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

-Stooxie
View Quote

Another vote for this setup.  I also have their simple barrel retention blocks that work great too.  I can't believe how well these blocks works for how simple and inexpensive they are.  I've used mine on AR10's and AR15's with perfect results.  Not knocking the reaction rod, but price for function is kind of hard to beat for the plastixrevolution products.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't use the reaction rod to install a muzzle device. It's meant for barrel installation only.

You can make a cheap barrel clamp to use for installing a muzzle device, or you can do the down and dirty method by clamping the upper between your legs

Barrel clamp:

Get a block of wood about 2"x2" 3x3" or somewhere in between and about 2-3" long.

1. Make a pilot hole in the center

2. Drill the pilot hole with a forstner bit, or a large drill bit that is about the same diameter of the barrel diameter near the muzzle threads or wherever you will be clamping.

3. Cut the block in halves.

Now you can clamp your barrel in the vise with the block of wood.

If you need more grip, Brownells sells rosin that will grip the barrel to the wood a bit better for a more secure fit in the block and won't mar the finish.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're only building 1, then some wood will be fine for you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Brownell's makes a version of the reaction rod that's about half the price. They work great for barrel nut maintenance.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Brownell's makes a version of the reaction rod that's about half the price. They work great for barrel nut maintenance.
View Quote

I almost bought one of those, but it doesn't have flats to keep it from turning in a vise.

You could just add some hardware to make it work, but I still went with the Geissele for simplicity.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I almost bought one of those, but it doesn't have flats to keep it from turning in a vise.

You could just add some hardware to make it work, but I still went with the Geissele for simplicity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ended up buying one. You put the wrench in the vise
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#15]
the Brownell's version doesn't have the vise flats like the Geissele, however, it does have a 1/2" square drive for your breaker bar.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:42:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I have not run into any issues where I'd need a reaction rod. My receiver blocks have worked great for numerous builds. I just can't imagine the need for it. Maybe if i had one in my hands, but doesn't seem simple enough to warrant s new +60$ tool. One that is specific for the small and large frame ARs. I already have specific barrel nut wrenches, why add to it unnecessarily?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could buy a piece of 1/2" key stock and put in the end for the vice.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either of these solutions work.  

I made the red thing out of steel tube scraps and the socket adapter can be had at Harbor Freight for cheap.  Either one clamps in the vise to hold the Brownell's tool.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, now we're really off the deep end. You could just pay 17 bucks for the guaranteed to work solution. No welding necessary.

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok, now we're really off the deep end. You could just pay 17 bucks for the guaranteed to work solution. No welding necessary.

-Stooxie

View Quote

LOL!...still, I do love human ingenuity when it comes to solving problems...even when it becomes more complex.  Stooxie, I think I've said it before, one of the problems with the sub-$20 Plastixrevolution tools is that they're too inexpensive.  There's no way the reasonable person could believe that something so simple and inexpensive could work effectively...until you try it...LOL!  Now, on the other hand, a big price tag, whiz-bang claims, and cool name...who wouldn't love and respect tools like those.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#21]
They also sell this one which does both AR-15 and AR-10. It's the one I bought for my Aero Precision M5E1 build and it worked fine. They sell them on ebay also.

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/collections/ar15-vise-blocks/products/223-ar-15-308-ar-10-upper-receiver-vise-block

Quoted:

-Stooxie
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

-Stooxie
View Quote

I made a vice block out of 2x4 with cut out areas for the top rail and bottom of the upper to fit.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top