Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2016 12:17:54 AM EDT
Been wanting a AR-10 for awhile now, got an email from PSA, scored a blem upper and lower. Been reading that the PSA uppers and lowers are GTG.

My question is, how much do I need to spend to get a decent barrel? What are some decent barrels, that don't break the bank? Is chrome lined a necessity? I've been looking at this barrel,  PSA SS 16" barell

What LPK's will work with the PSA stuff, all of there LPK's are OOS?

Not looking to build the Uber rifle here, just a good shooting reliable build.

Thanks, Dave
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:37:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I just started a 308 build and have the same goals as you...just a solid reliable rifle.  Take a look at ballistic advantage barrels.  After lots of research, I settled on them and picked up the premium model from AIM for $179.  The stats look good and BA guarantees <1 moa with match ammo, so you can't go wrong.  The reviews that I've found are positive.  Anyway, worth it for you to take a look.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:39:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh no, I'm still loving the RPR. I just wanna get a AR in .308 while I still can, one in every flavor I say.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Been wanting a AR-10 for awhile now, got an email from PSA, scored a blem upper and lower. Been reading that the PSA uppers and lowers are GTG.

My question is, how much do I need to spend to get a decent barrel? What are some decent barrels, that don't break the bank? Is chrome lined a necessity? I've been looking at this barrel,  PSA SS 16" barell

What LPK's will work with the PSA stuff, all of there LPK's are OOS?

Not looking to build the Uber rifle here, just a good shooting reliable build.

Thanks, Dave
View Quote

The bolt catch for sure has to be PSA, probably the pivot and takedown pins as well.  All the rest can be AR15 stuff.

I would stick with a PSA upper, saves the headache of trying to figure out if this upper mates to that lower.  (The FA for a PSA upper is unique to PSA, btw)

Mate your bolt carrier group to the barrel extension, Armalite pattern-Armalite pattern or SR25 pattern-SR25 pattern, that saves worrying as well, but not as critical, it just may not headspace correctly.

Is chrome plating necessary?   Well, that will surely start a debate.  

Millions of Garands, M1903s, SMLEs, No4s, M1917s, and match M14s say no, it is not necessary.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thinking about just going with the PSA barrel and BCG, upper and LPK.

What style is the PSA, DPMS or Armalite? Looks like DPMS, looking at hand guards, may have to call PSA Tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thinking about just going with the PSA barrel and BCG, upper and LPK.

What style is the PSA, DPMS or Armalite? Looks like DPMS, looking at hand guards, may have to call PSA Tomorrow.
View Quote

DPMS low.

Only the bolt catch, pivot/takedown pins, and mag catch are proprietary (though the mag catch looks like a standard part...)

link
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool, I got the pins, mag catch, and bolt catch kit in My cart.

DPMS low? what do You mean by low? Looking at a MI handgaurd.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up one of their blem lowers too.  Not sure what I'm going to do with it, thinking maybe a lightweight 16" rifle with a 1-4 or 1-6 scope for deer hunting.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:40:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

DPMS made two rail heights (top of the rail relative to the bore axis) low and high, PSA used the "Low" rail height...

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:08:36 AM EDT
[#10]
So the .150 upper tang would be low, and .210 upper tang would be high, I take it.

MI FF rails
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

DPMS made two rail heights (top of the rail relative to the bore axis) low and high, PSA used the "Low" rail height...

http://i47.tinypic.com/w8u9og.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

There's 3 rail heights in the LR-308 series.

The first one was really high on the LR-308.  Then there are the two you showed.  I used to think there were only 2 heights, and didn't know they made two different types of lower ones.  This is all pre-GII.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#12]
PSA is DPMS low.....If you want a decent barrel that wont break the bank..........check out what Anderson MFG has to offer.........I used one of the 20 inch barrels they sell on a PSA build and it was a tack driver.............

read the reviews......I left one..........
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The first one was really high on the LR-308.  Then there are the two you showed.  I used to think there were only 2 heights, and didn't know they made two different types of lower ones.  This is all pre-GII.

http://weespeed.com/pictures/forsale/upper6.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

It gets more confusing the more you learn.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Just when I thought I had a handle on it, someone pointed this out to me about the 3 different receiver heights on the LR-308's and AP4's.  I've been tracking these rifles before and after they were introduced to the market as well, so I was arguing with the person who tried to point it out to me since I remember the switch from LR-308 original to AP4 with the forward assist and ejection port cover.  He then explained, "No, there are two different heights for the AP4, a low and a high."

Then people say if we would just adopt the "DPMS standard", the industry would be good to go....

Keep in mind, that's before the GII was even discussed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#15]
There is definitely more to it then a regular old AR.

I got a PSA upper and lower, bolt catch, pins, mag catch. MI 15" M-lok rail, low (.150").  I got a ALG trigger, a leftover Hogue grip and left over detents and all that.

I got a left over MIL-spec tube, Magpul MOE stock.

I'm looking at the Anderson 16" barrel, seems to be a good deal. IDK, I'm thinking of buying the barrel and BCG from the same Manufacturer, just not too sure about how I feel about a Anderson BCG, probably no different then a PSA BCG.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There is definitely more to it then a regular old AR.

I got a PSA upper and lower, bolt catch, pins, mag catch. MI 15" M-lok rail, low (.150").  I got a ALG trigger, a leftover Hogue grip and left over detents and all that.

I got a left over MIL-spec tube, Magpul MOE stock.

I'm looking at the Anderson 16" barrel, seems to be a good deal. IDK, I'm thinking of buying the barrel and BCG from the same Manufacturer, just not too sure about how I feel about a Anderson BCG, probably no different then a PSA BCG.
View Quote

I think you'll find you want to go with the PSA over the Anderson bolt carrier group...
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked up the PSA 16"SS barrel and BCG, with a Rainer charging handle. Should be just about everything I need for now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#18]
AR15 mil spec buffer tube, or 308 mil spec diameter buffer tube? Either works, but the AR15 tube requires a shorter buffer...
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I need to look into the buffer tube, buffer and spring. Also probably need to order a gas block and tube.

I'm thinking about an adjustable gas block, suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I need to look into the buffer tube, buffer and spring. Also probably need to order a gas block and tube.

I'm thinking about an adjustable gas block, suggestions?
View Quote

Look into Slashes Heavy buffers.

http://heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Check out the BA barrels from Androcorp. They have a discount for site members.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:27:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I already bought the PSA16" barrel and BCG.

What if I put this ACE M4 SOCOM on it? The 9.5" - 11.5" length. What buffer and spring then? Rifle length spring and buffer is what ACE recommends. Since This is longer and has room, can I just go to a regular rifle buffer and spring?

Thanks, Dave
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#23]
i bought a KAK Industry 16" barrel and KAK BCG for my PA10

http://www.kakindustry.com/lr-308-parts/308-upper-parts/308-upper-receiver-parts/kak-industry-bcg-308

http://www.kakindustry.com/lr-308-parts/kak-308-16-inch-mid-melonite-barrel

and a Magpul UBR

I already have another upper reciver,so now im a complete lower away from another PA10
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#24]
KAK BCG

KAK Barrel

My lower got to the FFL today, upper was delivered to Me.

I got the butt stock, rifle spring, rifle buffer and charging handle. waiting on the lower parts, barrel and BCG.

Got a notification from Midway the one of the AR Stoner barrels that I wanted came in. Now that barrel will go on My "good" AR, I'm thinking take the DD 16" barrel to one of the Anderson set, with the new butt stock.

Decisions, decisions.............
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:16:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Is a PSA PA-10 buffer tube different then a AR-15 buffer tube?

PSA P-10 tube

The forward assist is in stock, so I'm going to grab one, grab a PA-10 tube while I'm at it, if it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:49:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Screw it, after reading all the HorseSh*t about it all, I just ordered the whole buffer tube, spring, buffer kit.

This is kind of a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a PA10  stripped lower and PSA finally had the lower parts kits, A2 buffer-tube kit and 20" upper in stock a couple of days ago. I ordered everything from them so that I know it will work together. It would be really nice if they would standardize the 308 Ar like the AR 15 is.

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#28]
PA10 tube is a little longer,and says PA10 on the bottom
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#29]
the only oddball parts are the pivot and take down pins,and the bolt catch. the springs,de-tents,safety,fire control group,mag release/catch,and receiver extension buffer retainer, spring,and plunger and spring for the bolt catch are all run of the mill lr-308/ar15. I own both the PA10 and PA15/AR15,plus I have the luxury of working on the other side of town from their Mt.Pleasant store in Charleston,so Ive tried to use every standard AR15 part on my PA10. Ive also tried the dpms 308,and armalite ar10 bolt catches,which the ar10 would work if you were willing to notch the mag well from the top.the only other bolt catch that kind of worked was the badger ordnance,but the magazine follower on badger ordnance bolt catch was to far to one side for my comfort. the only thing that i would recommend with the stock PA10 bolt catch,is to bevel the back of the paddle to prevent it from making contact with the upper receiver. i would recommend at $10 or so for a bolt catch,you buy more than one,and maybe find someone with a belt sander.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
the only oddball parts are the pivot and take down pins,and the bolt catch. the springs,de-tents,safety,fire control group,mag release/catch,and receiver extension buffer retainer, spring,and plunger and spring for the bolt catch are all run of the mill lr-308/ar15. I own both the PA10 and PA15/AR15,plus I have the luxury of working on the other side of town from their Mt.Pleasant store in Charleston,so Ive tried to use every standard AR15 part on my PA10. Ive also tried the dpms 308,and armalite ar10 bolt catches,which the ar10 would work if you were willing to notch the mag well from the top.the only other bolt catch that kind of worked was the badger ordnance,but the magazine follower on badger ordnance bolt catch was to far to one side for my comfort. the only thing that i would recommend with the stock PA10 bolt catch,is to bevel the back of the paddle to prevent it from making contact with the upper receiver. i would recommend at $10 or so for a bolt catch,you buy more than one,and maybe find someone with a belt sander.
View Quote

But by using the PSA PA-10 buffer tube, buffer and spring, it should all work. No short buffers, weird springs, etc.......

I've heard of beveling the bolt catch, other then that, by going with PSA upper, lower, barrel, bolt, buffer tube kit, pins, mag catch, and bolt catch, I should be able to just put the rifle together without to much hassle.

Am I right on this?
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I used a Faxon 16" barrel and SLR 7 adjustable gas block.  Got the AIM .308 BCG but I'm pretty sure it's just a re branded Anderson.  Rifle runs best with a carbine buffer and gas setting 5.   This is on a complete PA-10 blem lower and upper.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#32]
as far as i know,the only reason the buffer tube is longer,is so you/us/they can use a standard AR15 carbine buffer and spring instead of creating the need for a special or exotic buffer/spring combo. the kak lr308 BCG is the same length as the PA10 BCG,so I know the PA10 uses a standard lr308 style BCG. I prefer the Magpul rifle stocks on my PA15,but using it on my PA10 makes the length of pull a little to long,and yes ,it uses a standard rifle length receiver extension and buffer. I bought a Magpul UBR for my PA10 that came in yesterday. emailed Magpul to find out about ordering their special buffer spring combo from them. My ocd got the best of me.I went through 10 PA10 bolt catches before I got it right,and the only reason that happened is because i went to harbor freight and bout a table top belt sander and set up a little jig to get the angle right,and to make sure it sanded straight on the back.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Can You take a pic of the modification You did? I got a Bench top sander, I do a lot of metal work, so not to worried about that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#34]
i dont think itll let me post a pic
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I wouldn't bother beveling the bolt catch it just leaves a small ding in the upper.  Battle rifles get dings.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I just ordered a BA 18" barrel for my PSA build.  I know the gas block is a .750 diam, but does it have to be specifically a .308 block or will normal AR15 blocks work?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just ordered a BA 18" barrel for my PSA build.  I know the gas block is a .750 diam, but does it have to be specifically a .308 block or will normal AR15 blocks work?
View Quote

Regular gas block.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I had a PA10  stripped lower and PSA finally had the lower parts kits, A2 buffer-tube kit and 20" upper in stock a couple of days ago. I ordered everything from them so that I know it will work together. It would be really nice if they would standardize the 308 Ar like the AR 15 is.  
View Quote

Not even the original ArmaLite prototype guns, nor the Dutch guns were standardized.

The AR10 was never really ironed out the way it needed to be, and as a result, was less reliable than the AR15, even though it came first.

Military adoption and working out the little bugs along the way really makes the difference between the AR10 and AR15.

The market is only going in the direction of specialization, not standardization, because all these companies see how they lose rifle sales when making everything compatible with everyone else's guns like with the AR15.

It makes zero sense to make a rifle compatible with everyone else's in the .308 world, if you want to sell rifles.  If you want to sell parts, then you try to decide who made the cheapest and the most, and go that way, even though the engineering was never done on the cheapest design to make it even reliable.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
AR15 mil spec buffer tube, or 308 mil spec diameter buffer tube? Either works, but the AR15 tube requires a shorter buffer...
View Quote

Sprinco ORANGE spring with the shorter. 308 buffer.  Really only two choices for the shorter 308 buffer.  DPMS 308 carbine buffer.  Abt 29.95.  Too light imho.  Weighes about the same as a standard carbine H buffer.  And the Slash's CAR -10 heavy buffer.  Abt. $100  This is the best option.  weighed about the same as a standard carbine H3 buffer.

Other option is longer PSA PA-10 buffer tube, standard H3 buffer.  Not really sure what the best spring is for the setup.  The "kit" for the PSA PA-10 buffer tube, buffer, and spring I got came with a H buffer.  I swapped it out for an H3 buffer and and swapped out the spring for a Sprinco GREEN spring.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:36:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sprinco ORANGE spring with the shorter. 308 buffer.  Really only two choices for the shorter 308 buffer.  DPMS 308 carbine buffer.  Abt 29.95.  Too light imho.  Weighes about the same as a standard carbine H buffer.  And the Slash's CAR -10 heavy buffer.  Abt. $100  This is the best option.  weighed about the same as a standard carbine H3 buffer.

Other option is longer PSA PA-10 buffer tube, standard H3 buffer.  Not really sure what the best spring is for the setup.  The "kit" for the PSA PA-10 buffer tube, buffer, and spring I got came with a H buffer.  I swapped it out for an H3 buffer and and swapped out the spring for a Sprinco GREEN spring.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why, did the PA-10 buffer kit not work?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I use a PSA blem upper and lower.The mag catch,take down pins and polished  trigger from PSA.Brownnells SASS DPMS barrel and brownells 308 bolt carrier. UTG A2 stock some cheap hand guards.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#42]
UPS showed up  Now to decide on what scope to get. Like I said in my earlier post, I ordered all parts from PSA (except the PRS stock). It was 5 days from ordering to delivered and fit and finish was good. I cycled a full 20 round mag of ammo by hand through it without any problems. PSA is definitely getting better on shipping.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It "worked" but when you collapse the stock on the longer tube the stock does not collapse all the way to the castle nut.  Leaves some threads showing.
That bugged me for some reason but I'm just like that:)

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not even the original ArmaLite prototype guns, nor the Dutch guns were standardized.

The AR10 was never really ironed out the way it needed to be, and as a result, was less reliable than the AR15, even though it came first.

Military adoption and working out the little bugs along the way really makes the difference between the AR10 and AR15.

The market is only going in the direction of specialization, not standardization, because all these companies see how they lose rifle sales when making everything compatible with everyone else's guns like with the AR15.

It makes zero sense to make a rifle compatible with everyone else's in the .308 world, if you want to sell rifles.  If you want to sell parts, then you try to decide who made the cheapest and the most, and go that way, even though the engineering was never done on the cheapest design to make it even reliable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some things will slowly standardize, for example, the AR-10 modified M14 magazines have pretty much been supplanted by the SR-25 pattern magazine.

Other stuff, really is off the average shooters radar, they buy a built rifle, and that's that.  They don't care if the buffer in long or short or swaps out with another .308 rifle, etc., that headache is reserved for the minority that likes to assemble stuff from a pile of parts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#45]
There is absolutely a huge parts market though, and it is very competitive with fully assembled rifles in initial sales, even if the customer ends up with a home-built money pit that isn't reliable.

I've seen very knowledgeable guys end up with a gun they think is awesome, not knowing they were slamming the trash out of their lower with carrier rail impact due to a short buffer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, I have received everything, all fit together pretty good. Pretty nice, may not be the high end, but it all fits nicely together.

I am ditching the MI rail for a J&L Billet rail, I just can't stand seeing the barrel nut. Didn't notice that when I bought it. Oh well, life goes on.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
as far as i know,the only reason the buffer tube is longer,is so you/us/they can use a standard AR15 carbine buffer and spring instead of creating the need for a special or exotic buffer/spring combo. the kak lr308 BCG is the same length as the PA10 BCG,so I know the PA10 uses a standard lr308 style BCG. I prefer the Magpul rifle stocks on my PA15,but using it on my PA10 makes the length of pull a little to long,and yes ,it uses a standard rifle length receiver extension and buffer. I bought a Magpul UBR for my PA10 that came in yesterday. emailed Magpul to find out about ordering their special buffer spring combo from them. My ocd got the best of me.I went through 10 PA10 bolt catches before I got it right,and the only reason that happened is because i went to harbor freight and bout a table top belt sander and set up a little jig to get the angle right,and to make sure it sanded straight on the back.
View Quote

Sorry to drop in like this. I noticed you said the KAK LR-308 BCG should work on the PA-10. I am a barrel and BCG away from completing my PA-10 build, and Palmetto is back ordered on BCGs. It seems parts are hard to get right now. I am considering getting the KAK BCG instead. Specs sound better, and it has the forward assist notches too.

Sounds like you know your shit. How sure are you that the KAK BCG will work in the PA-10?

I am also holding on back order for an SASS DMPS barrel with Brownel's on sale at $199 from the holidays. Not hung up on the heavy fluted barrel.

Any suggestions on an alternate barrel, 18 or 20 inch mid-length without going $300 plus on the price?

Thanks in advance...

TSG
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sorry to drop in like this. I noticed you said the KAK LR-308 BCG should work on the PA-10. I am a barrel and BCG away from completing my PA-10 build, and Palmetto is back ordered on BCGs. It seems parts are hard to get right now. I am considering getting the KAK BCG instead. Specs sound better, and it has the forward assist notches too.

Sounds like you know your shit. How sure are you that the KAK BCG will work in the PA-10?

I am also holding on back order for an SASS DMPS barrel with Brownel's on sale at $199 from the holidays. Not hung up on the heavy fluted barrel.

Any suggestions on an alternate barrel, 18 or 20 inch mid-length without going $300 plus on the price?

Thanks in advance...

TSG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance...

TSG

Palmetto uses DPMS "type" barrel extension,  check and see if the  KAK BCG is compatible  with that type of barrel extension

Link Posted: 3/11/2016 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Palmetto uses DPMS "type" barrel extension,  check and see if the  KAK BCG is compatible  with that type of barrel extension

View Quote

The KAK BCG webpage does not say that specifically, but it mentions the DPMS forward assist compatibility, so I assume that's a positive clue.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance...

TSG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance...

TSG

Take a look at Ballistic Advantage barrels.  They are <200 bucks and guarantee 1moa with match ammo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top