Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2016 11:53:37 PM EDT
hi there, i have been poking around the site for quite some time and decided to join. ive built 5.56 rifles in the past and know a little bit about that platform. i have recently purchased a dpms oracle 308 and was wondering which parts, if any, are the same as the 5.56 platform. i would also like to know the best place to get 308 parts. i plan on changing the stock, grip, forend, muzzle brake, forend, and possibly a few other things. thanks for any help in advance.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Look at the top of this board. Open the thread called caliber specific faq.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#2]
" />

This is my .308 Oracle

As you can tell it has been customized. I'll try remember everything that I did

Geissele SSA trigger
Tac ops charging handle
Apex forearm
ergo grip (if I remembering right)
PRI adjustable gas block
Magpul stock (can't remember model)
Topped with an Bushnell 2.5-16x50 6500 elite
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
how far out were you with that group? and thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Midwest Industries has some things for you
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=189
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how far out were you with that group? and thanks for the info.
View Quote

Thats a 10 round group at 100 yards with my 168 gr A-Max load. Currently working on a 175 gr TMK load that might just blow this one out the water. These rifles are more accurate than a lot of people realize. I'll post my OCW target here in a little bit, have to upload to a hosting site.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a 3 round group at 100 yards. I'm going to the range today to see its repeatable and stepping up to 5 round groups now that I've settled on a powder charge. Going to work with the cartridge length as well to see if things improve any or not.

" />
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#7]
that is very nice! I knew these were fairly accurate from the little bit of research I did. theres a video of a guy shooting a dinger from 600 yards out and it was still a tight group
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:38:32 AM EDT
[#8]
They are very accurate for what they are. I'll say I'm MUCH happier with the 308 dpms than the 5.56 I own.
The group pictured was 10 shot group(100 yards), the 1 off was a cold bore, with the stock horrendous dpms trigger.

168 federal gold metal match, could tighten this up with my loads and a decent trigger(which I already have)

To answer your question, stock is the same(commercial- changed mine out to a milspec vltor re10 tube with h3 buffer),

grip is the same, handguard is Midwest industries- they have lr308 specific rails- (newer ones need the 'low' rail height)

Most ar15 triggers should work as well

Muzzle brake needs 30 Cal 5/8-24 threads

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]
hmm that's very interesting about the stock. im guessing that the stock dpms buffer tube is larger, I was not able to fit the 6 position stock from my 5.56 onto my .308. so from what you are saying I should be able to put a 556 buffer tube and stock on?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top