Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2015 1:39:27 AM EDT
They've been out in the wild now. Wondering who's put a thorough (not " I shot a box or two and it's so awesome"; more like a case or two) amount of rounds through them, any issues, etc.

Looking for another AR 308 to add, and these have kept my attention with the smaller reciever and dimensions.

Been looking at the Hunter GII.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Stopped cleaning my GII recon about 450 rounds ago. It's got approximately 600 rounds through it. Took it apart to replace the handguard and gas block, did not clean anything but the surfaces necessary to do the swaps.

It gets a shot of CLP on the parts that need it, and that's it. (Edit: Ok, that's a lie, I clean the bore.)

Went through hunting season, 9 days of being rained on, snowed on, and passing above/below 32* many times without being stripped or lubed to keep rust at bay, year 2. Put about 50 rounds through it at the end of the season.

Complaints I have thus far are mainly that manufacturers appear to not want to spend the extra money for stainless black oxide fasteners (Scope mount and hand guard) so all the screws started to rust to varying degrees. The Magpul BUIS springs also rusted. It's to be expected I suppose, but if I had to lube this thing every time it got wet, I'd be pulling it apart all the time.

In regards to the rifle itself, the only rust I saw was a tiny bit forming on the take down pins and the bolt/carrier, and only where water had gotten past the dust cover. All of that rust was where normal wear had taken the finish off. The bolt finish has held up far better than I expected, as it just appeared to be black paint.

The issues seem to be pretty well documented. Early guns with the larger firing pin tunnel show cratered primers, the dust cover does not open normally when hand cycling the bolt, the bolt catch hits the upper receiver at rest, and pmags can cause rapid wear of the bolt catch if not modified. There are other issues that some experience(d) that I'm not mentioning or forgetting, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind as being consistent.

Edit: I suppose I didn't really answer the question. The only malfunctions I've had were my own doing. Bad ammo that had casings that were not sized to spec, and firing with the gas block shut off. The rifle cycled some VERY weak ammo (180grs going 2200FPS) so IMO they are pretty over-gassed. But that ensures reliability. We'll see if that also contributes to wear and tear on the brass. I was getting some pretty nasty tears in the brass with hotter loads (edit: tears pre-adj. gas block that is).

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I purchased my GII hunter at the beginning of this year. I have about 800 to 900 rounds through it.

The rifle began not so accurate and now shoots 3 shot groups about the size of a nickel at 200 yards with handloads using the 165grn Nosler BT.

I sent the rifle back to DPMS because I was getting punctured primers with FGGM 168grn. The rifle was returned to me all better. The smith polished the chamber, fixed the firing pin tunnel and custom fit 2 firing pins.

I have had no function type failures with this rifle. I did install an adjustable gas block on the rifle to tame the recoil and the bolt speed down and now I can get my sight picture on a target and fire without the scope leaving the target.

I used the GII to hunt deer this year in sleet and freezing rain. No problems.

The GII has had a few growing pains but don't bother me at all. My son and I go out to the forest and find safe targets of opportunity, do all the ballistic stuff and hit targets out to 1100 yards so far. We are shooting at 6500 to 7200 feet above sea level.

When I become rich and famous, or when the prince in Africa finally comes through, I will buy other GII uppers or complete rifles.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Got about 350 rds through my G2 Hunter. Not a blip so far. Recoil was smooth and "soft" as long as factory match loads were being used, i.e. Federal Gold Match.

But hot handloads really ramped up the sharpness of the recoil impulse. No surprise as .308 AR's are reputed to be over-gassed. So I put on an adjustable gas block which made a noticeable difference. But it had to be adjusted depending on the powder. The bullet weight didn't seem to matter to adj gas block as much the powder.

Ran into some issues with PMags not locking the bolt back. But IWI (polymer) and DPMS metal mags work fine.

I have a feeling that my chamber is on the tighter. Pressures seem to show up sooner than with my other 308 rifles. Hornady Superformance will not be fired in it any more!!

Still love it and love the balance specifically of the G2 Hunter.

ps. I replaced the trigger with a Rock River but have a LaRue trigger on order.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
my g2 recon had a week trigger reset and a crooked dust cover that dpms took care of both under warranty. but other than that 1,000 rounds down range within 4 trips to the range and not one single issue. as a left handed shooter i ordered a adjustable gas block finally to keep from getting hit in the right cheek ever 5 or 6 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool beans. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Keep em coming.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
500 rounds, early rig. runs all mags no issues. shoot suppressed some as well.
rust on forward assist. couple spots on barrel that wont clean off ( recon model) Did not clean promptly after a hunt.
very accurate.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine has a tight chamber. Broke a couple ejectors and the ejector roll pin as well.
DPMS sent new parts.
I'd like to get a new barrel at some point.

Im willing to keep it around because it's so darn light.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u601/SLRrifleworks/Mobile%20Uploads/03B0F856-D6F9-4E3F-B1D3-FFFB87773247_zpshjl7naau.jpg
View Quote

I asked about that rifle in the pic thread. Detail on the cut chop barrel, any gas port mods, buffer, etc? Also, round count on the ejectors? Or do you mean extractors?

As I said in the pic thread; it rustles my jimmies
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I mean ejectors.
Extractor is fine.
Both Ejectors broke a couple of times and bind up the springs keeping them depressed. The retaining pin for the ejectors have been very brittle as well.
DPMS has sent new parts each time.
I cut a 24" barrel to 10" car gas with .090" port and a Sentry block. I put a H3 buffer in the BCarrier to add some weight and get some more dead blow to combat bolt bounce in F/A.
Also JP red low power hammer spring to help with bolt bounce.

Runs fine but sticks steel cases like crazy. Brass cased is fine but we don't shoot much brass. Couple thousands rounds a month in F/A is too costly.

6Lb .308 is not as nice to shoot as my MaTen 8 pounder but IF I were to lug it around the weight savings is huge.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u601/SLRrifleworks/Mobile%20Uploads/E2D3E16F-BF74-49D2-ACBF-26F0F211F346_zpsig3c4ryg.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine has a tight chamber. Broke a couple ejectors and the ejector roll pin as well.
DPMS sent new parts.
I'd like to get a new barrel at some point.

Im willing to keep it around because it's so darn light.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u601/SLRrifleworks/Mobile%20Uploads/03B0F856-D6F9-4E3F-B1D3-FFFB87773247_zpshjl7naau.jpg

I asked about that rifle in the pic thread. Detail on the cut chop barrel, any gas port mods, buffer, etc? Also, round count on the ejectors? Or do you mean extractors?

As I said in the pic thread; it rustles my jimmies

I mean ejectors.
Extractor is fine.
Both Ejectors broke a couple of times and bind up the springs keeping them depressed. The retaining pin for the ejectors have been very brittle as well.
DPMS has sent new parts each time.
I cut a 24" barrel to 10" car gas with .090" port and a Sentry block. I put a H3 buffer in the BCarrier to add some weight and get some more dead blow to combat bolt bounce in F/A.
Also JP red low power hammer spring to help with bolt bounce.

Runs fine but sticks steel cases like crazy. Brass cased is fine but we don't shoot much brass. Couple thousands rounds a month in F/A is too costly.

6Lb .308 is not as nice to shoot as my MaTen 8 pounder but IF I were to lug it around the weight savings is huge.

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u601/SLRrifleworks/Mobile%20Uploads/E2D3E16F-BF74-49D2-ACBF-26F0F211F346_zpsig3c4ryg.jpg

Great info. Thanks for taking the time. Gonna own one of your rails one day too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a MOE that has just over 2000 rounds of various surplus ball and Wolf steel case ammo through it. The only issues I've had with it is magazine related. The Brownells 20 round had feeding issues (returned those) and some feeding issues with the D&H 20 round that may have worked themselves out (they worked fine on last outing). P Mags of any generation and the Israeli mags have been 100%.

I have added a ALG ACT trigger, Slash heavy buffer with a Sprinco USA spring and a BCM MOD-1 compensator.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Where did the ejectors break at?  Did the pins fracture along the shaft where the recess is cut to captivate them with the roll pin?

I've never heard of that before.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#14]
So far mine mine has been a great rifle. I had to replace the firing pin. Mine will puncture primers if the loads are on the hot side.
How do you know if you have the larger firing pin tunnel?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Thought the GII concept was cool when these first came out: AR10 power in roughly AR15 package. However, I seem to recall being skeptical about these because — If memory serves — the bolt has less mass than a standard AR10 bolt, and so I wondered how bolt life would hold up under a battle rifle cartridge. Am I remembering the bolt correctly?

I suppose there's no reason to think DPMS didn't do their engineering homework, but either the bolts on these are holding up much better than I thought or the round counts are still relatively low.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I asked, but really didn't get much feedback on serial numbers so I could try and narrow down what serial number and later got the newer bolt design. I *assume* that other visible differences of the boltdenote the smaller firing pin tunnel, but I can't guarantee that. The "later" bolts I've seen pics of have what appear to be remnants of the milling operation that cuts the bolt lugs. Small cuts on the bolt body just to the rear of the bolt lugs. These do not exist on earlier ones, at least mine and others I've seen.

I have no problem weighing the bolt/carrier of the GII if someone wants to put up numbers from an AR. I could see maybe the carrier having less mass, but the bolt itself I suspect has more. BTW, the firing pin tunnel diameter is obviously different. I believe someone posted up the two diameters on here, probably LRRP.

The round count on the GII Recon run in one of James Yeager's class was high 2000 or 3000, videos are on youtube. Short story they said 2 malfunctions the entire time, suspected magazine issue, double feeds.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one of the Adams Arms GII rifles. It has been a pretty good rifle thus far.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top