Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2015 10:33:23 AM EDT
Hey,

I posted once before but I had a PSA Lower with an Aero Precision upper -- decided to fix that before it arrived. While I was at it, I figured I should probably upgrade the stock and trigger as well. What are your opinions on my new AR-10 ? It's not  built yet but I was kinda curious where it stands quality wise. Possible half MOA rifle ? What kind of things would you guys upgrade for accuracy?

Upper:
Aero Precision stripped billet upper
Aero Precision charging handle
Rainer arms match NIbX BCG
Shilen 22" nation match grade fluted barrel- 1/10 twist
Lancer adjustable muzzle brake
Bcm low profile gas system
Odin gun works 15" keymod rail

Lower:
Aero Precision stripped lower
CMC flat face single stage match trigger 2.5lbs
Luth-Ar A2 buffer kit
Luth-Ar B3 Stock
ERGO Tactical Pistol grip w/ Palm Shelf

Glass: Nikko Stirling 6-24X56 Nighteater (will upgrade eventually)

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]
.5 MOA is a pretty aggressive accuracy goal.  Best of luck with that.  

I presume you will be using a rifle-length gas system with a 22" barrel?  What is the gas port diameter on the Shilen barrel.  An adjustable gas block could be required to fine tune the cycling of the weapon.  See how it operates after assembly.

Why do you want to use an adjustable muzzle brake?  No brake and a crowned muzzle will provide the greatest accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Recoil management for faster shots. Just a personal preference I suppose, not to mention the appearance of it. I am getting the diameter for you -- should know tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't even mount the Nikko-Stirling scope to it.

They are bottom of the barrel optics.  For the money you are spending on gun, it really is best served with an optic that will hold up, won't turn the turrets when you put the caps back on, etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't even mount the Nikko-Stirling scope to it.

They are bottom of the barrel optics.  For the money you are spending on gun, it really is best served with an optic that will hold up, won't turn the turrets when you put the caps back on, etc.
View Quote

+1

I've always looked at it like this, spend at the very least, 50% of what you put into the gun. With the 308, it never pays to pinch pennies. This will bite you in the ass real quick.

Naked muzzle with a good crown is best for precision, as stated above. A tunable brake really is a bandaid for poor form and technique. If you're wanting quick follow up shots, 2 port brakes work very well. But don't look as pretty as others.

I'm going with the BCM Mod1 for my AR10. Haven't tried it yet, just picked it up today.

You gotta determine what the goal of the rifle will be. 0.5 moa is achievable with many barrels out there, it's the schmuck behind the trigger 90% of the time. That's why Armalite doesn't give MOA guarantees. They can't guarantee YOU can shoot sub MOA. But they can guarantee you'll shot 1.5-2MOA. If not, that's on you, not the gear. Most of the time anyways.

With a 22" barrel, free floated, with a good trigger and solid stock, you'll be able to get 1 MOA or better. If you can't, you gotta figure out where you're messing up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
To be clear, I wanted this to replace my Remington 700P with a 26" heavy barrel. I know I'd lose a little bit on accuracy with it, but I also wanted to make it look a little nicer. You could scoff at that, but realistically everyone has a preference and I didn't like the way the Remington looked (each to his own). The crown would increase accuracy -- I agree. I just wanted a good looking muzzle brake.

The optic I am definitely going to upgrade but I need some time to recoup. This was my no regrets build but I didn't have 3-4k to justifiably put down right before my daughter was born. I could only afford 2k and to use my existing optic. I'll probably buy/trade my way to a nicer one. Alternatively I do have a Vortex 1-4X PST that I have on my AR-15 currently. Do you guys think I should put that on the AR-10 ?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
That vortex wouldn't be able to use the fun potential of the 308, BUT the vortex would be miles ahead of the cheapo nikko.

Aesthetics are the main reason i choose to build vs buy. Nothing to scoff at, you get to build it how you want. I personally think the Lancer muzzle is ugly. Just preference, i like the looks of the Lantac and BCM. The BCM is plain Jane get the job done, the Lantac just looks cool.

I understand the budgeting involved with a newbie. Mine just turned 3 months a couple days ago. She's the reason i haven't gotten mine together yet. That and i have to drive literally across houston to pick up my upper from vandenberg customs, his and my schedule don't match up, so gotta setup a time i can get there.

Anyways, build it how you want. Everyone else be damned. Just use quality parts, and research research research.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top