Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2015 1:40:22 PM EDT
Decided to trade in my MI Rail I had on my Aero M5 for a new SLR 13" Solo lite series rail.  I really liked the solid lockup between the SLR rail and the SLR barrel nut and my MI Rail didn't exactly fit right (top of rail was a hair lower than top of Aero M5 receiver).  I was also upgrading my Syrac has Block to an SLR Sentry 7

So I pulled off the MI rail this morning and put on the SLR rail.  The SLR rail fit perfectly flush with receiver.  It was obviously that the rail was well made but then I ran into a problem.  I tried to put my sling on and the QD swivel wouldn't lock into the QD socket.  The QD swivel was hitting the barrel which was preventing it from locking in.  I'm running a Rainer 16" select barrel.

I tried grinding down the bottom of my swivel but ground into the hole that holds the swivel button spring and ruined the swivel.  

Then I looked at my old MI rail to see why it had not had the same problem.  MI raised the QD socket a little which added enough clearance for the QD swivel to not hit the barrel.

This just sucks all the way around.  The MI rail doesn't really fit right but the QD socket design works.

The SLR rail fits perfect and is really better in every way except for the the rear QD socket.  I checked the other SLR series rails and it looks like the rear QD socket on all of them is flush with the rail
so I'm guessing that all have this same issue.  

Has anyone else run into this?  Are Rainer select barrels somehow "fatter" than normal?  

If you are running an SLR rail, will a QD swivel lock into the rear QD socket on it?  If so, what barrel are you running?

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really an answer, but could you live with using an MLOK sling QD mount just ahead of the QD on the rail?  I know it's not as lean and clean, but sometimes ya gotta do what works.

https://www.magpul.com/products/m-lok-qd-sling-mount
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
FYI... The Rainer barrel is 1.1915" right past the barrel nut under the QD socket.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a few qd stocks , and integrated sockets in handgaurds. My first sling was a paracord home made with uncle mikes swivels. Very different fit between sockets. My magpul ms4 sling fits and locks in every socket I've tried. Maybe try a different sling before ditching the slr
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had a few qd stocks , and integrated sockets in handgaurds. My first sling was a paracord home made with uncle mikes swivels. Very different fit between sockets. My magpul ms4 sling fits and locks in every socket I've tried. Maybe try a different sling before ditching the slr
View Quote

I tried several different swivels, including ALG swivels.  None of them work.  SLR said they think the taper on the Rainer barrel starts further out than normal.

I'm going to try another barrel before I return the rail because I really like the rail if it wasn't for the issue with the QD socket.

Just ordered an 16" QPQ from Aero Precision.   Will have it in a couple days and see how it goes.

Looking at the pic of my barrel on Rainer's site, it does look like the taper starts a ways out

The taper on the Aero barrel in comparison seems to start sooner

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thread title is misleading.
View Quote

Thread title changed until I figure out what's wrong.  Changed to "SLR Rail QD socket won't work with 16" Rainer Barrel".

Fair?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 1:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Edit, didn't read the OP well enough first go around.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I went ahead and made the change to current production 308H MLOK Handguards.
Since it seems Rainier is pushing these barrels and moving a ton of SLR Handguards on their site it was best to go ahead and make a change to avoid this in the future.
OP, I ran another set of 13" Lite Mlok's in 308High and will send you a replacement as soon as it gets back from ano next week.

Thanks
Todd

Btw.. The Ion Series Handguards are available in AR15 and DPMS G2 right now and we are adding 308High and Low by the end of the year.http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u601/SLRrifleworks/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2xvpe2nq.jpg
View Quote

That looks great!

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#10]
and this is why I give SLR my business very frequently. WOW.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
and this is why I give SLR my business very frequently. WOW.
View Quote

Wow. Above and beyond customer service !
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe I can get a replacement. I've experienced this issue and knew it was because of the taper of my rainier match barrel. I figured that it was just a bad mismatch of parts. Perhaps I'll contact slr
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]
While possibly not optimum, couldn't you just relieve a small amount off the bottom of the QD to give it some added clearance?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
While possibly not optimum, couldn't you just relieve a small amount off the bottom of the QD to give it some added clearance?
View Quote

Tried that.  A QD swivel actually has a hole drilled straight down into it that almost but not quite goes all the way thru and out of the bottom.
The hole holds the spring under the push button.

If you grind much off the bottom you grind into the hole, the spring flies out.

fyi.  The SLR rail I got worked fine with an Aero 16" barrel.  The new gen rails should work with any barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top