Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2015 6:37:36 PM EDT
I've never shot a 2-stage trigger yet. Never gotten the chance to play around with a Geissele trigger or anything. I'm not going for a super long range gun since my local ranges only stretch out to 200yds.

I'm not trying to be a sub-moa shooter either but it'd be nice to get pretty close at 100yds.

Also what kind of stock do most prefer on their AR10 builds? I have CTR's and STR's on my other AR's, don't know if I should stick with those or spend a few extra for a PRS or something alike.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
A 2 stage trigger will definitely help your groupings and I really like the UBR on my N6.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
def 2 stage.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Personal preference honestly, some shoot a 2 stage better, others prefer a single.  You just need to try both if possible and see what works best for you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Single stage for me.

As far as stocks go, I really like the LaRue RAT stock. Adds a bit of weight to the rear compared to the regular M4 style stock, but not too much, it lets me get a good cheek weld, and has a small recoil pad.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are shooting for accuracy on stationary targets, then I would definitely suggest a 2 stage.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Single stage for me.
View Quote

+1

I like i solid break. Like glass.

Its personal preference. I think i shoot better with a single stage. It feels better anyways. It's like comparing carrots to candy canes
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've never shot a 2-stage trigger yet. Never gotten the chance to play around with a Geissele trigger or anything. I'm not going for a super long range gun since my local ranges only stretch out to 200yds.

I'm not trying to be a sub-moa shooter either but it'd be nice to get pretty close at 100yds.

Also what kind of stock do most prefer on their AR10 builds? I have CTR's and STR's on my other AR's, don't know if I should stick with those or spend a few extra for a PRS or something alike.
View Quote

I like 2-stage triggers.  Have a CMC 2lb/2lb on my Aero M5 build.  I'm running a ACS-L stock with extended buttpad.  I like it well enough, works and it's comfy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:14:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I just pulled the RRA 2 stage out of my precision(ish)15, and dropped in an Elfman 3 gun. The 2 stage might go in a 10 build if I can decide on a caliber. I liked it but I'd prefer it were a little lighter for target shooting.

Also, now my CMC in the other seems lousy.... Darn you Elfman!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I can see where some of this issue can be purely preference driven.  However, it appears more common to see 2-stage triggers in precision and/or target applications...and I guess hunting to a large degree.  However, I have an observation and kind of a question.  I've noticed over time with my AR10's and 5.56 rifles that I have two different preferences in triggers.  I like the 2-stage over a single in my AR10's but seem to prefer a quality single stage for my 5.56 rifles.  Now, while I don't think my AR10's (Armalites) have any aggressive recoil, they obviously have more than my 5.56 rifles.  I've begun to think that my preference is driven by that slightly increased recoil in the AR10's.  Despite what I feel is a total lack of apprehension of the impending recoil when firing my AR10's, it strikes me that I may be feeling more comfortable with the more pronounced "easing into" the hammer drop that a 2-stage offers in the impending "boom" that an AR10 delivers.  With my 5.56 rifles I feel like I can hammer away more comfortably with a nice, quality, single stage trigger.  Now I know that the reset of a quality 2-stage allows easy quick, followup shots, but it's just not something I do with great frequency as compared to the 5.56 guns.

So, is this something that is just peculiar to my situation and preference, or is it something that actually has some basis when talking about triggers in AR10's and AR15's?  Again, I believe preference is paramount to a shooter in trigger application, but my description here is just something that has popped into my mind over some time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, it boils down to personal preference.  I happen to prefer a 2-stage in my AR10.  I shoot it much better than I did the factory single stage that was in it.  Although, a quality single stage would probably be better than what was in it as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
You bring up a good point. I'm the exact opposite with my triggers. I've got an Armalite 2 stage in my AR15 build, and a single stage in my AR10.

On my first AR10, it came with the 2 stage from armalite. Bought a complete lower with it. But then i bought an Iron Ridge "heavy duty" single stage trigger. Broke right under 5lbs. I loved that trigger, but it wouldn't set off hard primers, and i tried to use a Wolff XP spring, but could not get it to install with the Iron Ridge gear. I kept it, but just stopped using steel ammo.

Then on my MaTen, i used the SD-C from Geiselle. Great trigger, but i noticed i started anticipating the recoil with the 2 stage. Purely needed to have more practice, but i didn't like it. With the single stage, you have to commit to the shot. Less time to anticipate recoil, it's just snap*boom.  

I think a finely tuned single stage is better for me. You can practice with both triggers, can be as good with both. I think it's just easier to learn proper technique with a 2 stage. With the single, you have to be meticulous, there's slightly more margin for error with the 2 stage.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#12]
From the answers so far, you've probably sensed a preference for two-stage triggers for precision shooting.  That is not unusual for AR-platform shooters, but I think it's largely due to the way most of us use our ARs.  Few of them are truly "precision" rifles.  That's not that they're not accurate, but if you're talking about serious one-hole shooting, you're usually looking at a dedicated bolt gun.
Our ARs, on the other hand, tend to get a little more flexible use.  Off-hand shooting, field shooting, varmint shooting, speed games...the AR is usually not dedicated to accuracy alone.
Because of that, most of us don't want a trigger pull measured in ounces.  If you build an AR with a 1-pound trigger, you're probably going to be very careful how and where you use it.  You probably won't want to run it in a 3-gun competition.  With a 2-stage trigger, however, you can make that maybe a 4 pound trigger, with 3 pounds in the first stage and 1 in the second.  Now you have a "safer gun" to run around with, but you still get the benefit of a light, crisp, final break.

If I'm building a rifle specifically for the bench, then a perfect 1-stage trigger is wonderful.  But for a more flexible rifle, it's hard to beat a 2-stage.

Incidentally, I just picked up an M&P-10 with a Geissele-installed SSA-E trigger (2.3lbs first stage, 1.2lbs second)--a very nice trigger.

It also happens to have a PRS stock with AccuShot Monopod.  I have PRSs on a couple other ARs and they're a great stock...but they're not lightweight.  And since "lightweight" is half the reason I picked up this M&P, the PRS is about to be replaced with a CTR with extended rubber pad.  I also really like a simple A1 stock on my rifles, but in this case I want the flexible of a collapsible stock so I'm going with the CTR (I hate stocks that rattle).

What you choose, ultimately, should be based on what you want to do with the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#13]
OlGunner covers it pretty well.  In a semi auto platform you can only go so light before doubling becomes an issue.  With a two stage you can break the weight up.  2lb in first stage, 1lb in 2nd stage or similar.  You get a short travel, hit the wall, then a very precise break with just a little more pressure.  

I would go for a two stage on a general purpose semi auto rifle.  I would go for a short reset single stage if it was dedicated to short range blaster and I was just interested in the fastest splits.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1

Its personal preference. I think i shoot better with a single stage. It feels better anyways. It's like comparing carrots to candy canes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Single stage for me.

+1

YUP
single.. no take up, just squeeze, release, squeeze again..
I've actually been very lucky with the standard build kits that I've received from palmetto lately.. very crisp actions..
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#15]
IMO find a G2S and try it out.  The G2S is the Geissele Two Stage entry level trigger.  It's a great trigger for the money (can be found on sale for $95 shipped).  It has the same pull as the SSA.

If you don't like it, sell it and buy a good single stage trigger like the ALG ACT and some JP spring kits and see what weight you like.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

UBR on a N6. I only go 2 positions back but it can extend back to A2 length roughly. It's heavy, but balances out the heavy barrel a bit, and the dang rifle already was a sack of rocks so what's a few extra pounds.  She keeps Enchanted Rock free of pigs so I cut her some slack.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I went with 1 stage TTU for my orc308 since it is more for sub 200m hunting/plinking than long range hunting/target.  16" barrel and 1-4x24 Burris tac30.
Stock would be moe rifle or prs if a longer range but I find the acs to fit well (ubr too but acs is 1/3 price).
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a single stage shooter. I put a Timney 4.5lb trigger in my DPMS LR308 and love it. The gun is very accurate with factory 168gr ammo.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top