Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2015 10:13:46 PM EDT
I have had a AR 10 since 2012 and I bought a number of P-Mags for it at that time, then I found it could only use Armalite metal Mags so I got some of them.  Armalite had a sale on a collapsible stock so I bought it and then they said I would need a different buffer.... okay I finally got one, but Areo Precision then come up with a stripper lower and I got it.  I am just gathering parts right now, but instead of building a whole new rifle right away, I was wondering if I could put the Armalite Upper on the DPMS style lower for awhile?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:46:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope,won't work.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:31:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I think backbencher figured out some way to make it work. I'll send the link for this th read to him so he can chime in.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC there will be a gap between the receivers because the Armalite has the angled AR-10 style cut to it while the DPMS has the rounded AR-15 style cut to it. Also there is some milling that needs to be done to the interior of the Armalite to get it to work. With has many affordable DPMS styled receivers out there it's not worth the hassle IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I figured something that seems simple...... I do not want to modify anything.  It will just take more parts and time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  IIRC there will be a gap between the receivers because the Armalite has the angled AR-10 style cut to it while the DPMS has the rounded AR-15 style cut to it. Also there is some milling that needs to be done to the interior of the Armalite to get it to work. With has many affordable DPMS styled receivers out there it's not worth the hassle IMHO.
View Quote

I think it was AR15barrels of AR15Barrels.com that figured out how to make it work & did one years ago.  There will be a gap @ the rear of the upper, due to the straight angle of the Armalite upper and the curved receiver extension boss of the DPMS lower.  Also, the magazine stop ribs on the inside of the upper will need to be milled out.

This is one of his earlier threads:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/265951__ARCHIVED_THREAD____More_AR_10_and_DPMS_compatibility___.html

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
It was the magazines lips that were my only concern. I wasn't intending to carry the rifle in a tactical training environment.  Just in the pickup.  I like the Armalite too well to mess with it.

I could just put the Stock and JP buffer on the Armalite, but why do that when I have a excellent excuse to build a new 308
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  It was the magazines lips that were my only concern. I wasn't intending to carry the rifle in a tactical training environment.  Just in the pickup.  I like the Armalite too well to mess with it.

I could just put the Stock and JP buffer on the Armalite, but why do that when I have a excellent excuse to build a new 308
View Quote

The least expensive route to a functional .308" AR receiver I'm aware of:

http://www.theflatspot.net/308-receiver-flat-dpms-style-like-ar-10.html  $33 + $6 flat rate shipping.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for that link.  I can afford it just not in one chunk as I have lots of other things to mix into my priorities like most of us.  I will spend some money on a trigger next and eventually get a Aero Precision upper and proceed.  Hey thanks all!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top