Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/26/2015 7:40:53 PM EDT
Hello this is my first post. Thought I'd give my thoughts on the RF 7.62 upper.

First let me say I am no expert on anything "guns". But I have read up on the AR platform and this gun represents my first build - if you can call it that. I also have a S&W M&P15T, that was my first go around with the AR platform.

What led me to the 7.62 upper was my SKS that was given to me years ago by a friend. I don't really like to shoot the gun, but I like the idea of the round.
Mind, I only shoot paper so keep that in mind with my comments.  

I also realize that building the 7.62 AR is like pushing a rope, but at the pice RF sells them I thought I'd take a chance.

So I bought some ACS magazines, ten rounders and a Bushnell TRS-25.  I also bought and Anderson lower and built that from Anderson kit  - got my TulAmmo and went to the range. I went through 8 magazines. But had about 20% misfires. However zero failures to feed or eject.

One thing to note, prior to shooting I dremeled the M4 ramps to 7.62, eased all the leading edges, and polished them up.  I believe this helped greatly in the smooth loading of the rounds.

So I just ordered the Wolf spring and the enhanced firing pin to see if that clears up things.

As for accuracy, I just go the rounds on paper and didn't want to waste anymore until I get the firing pin sorted out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Hello this is my first post. Thought I'd give my thoughts on the RF 7.62 upper.

First let me say I am no expert on anything "guns". But I have read up on the AR platform and this gun represents my first build - if you can call it that. I also have a S&W M&P15T, that was my first go around with the AR platform.

What led me to the 7.62 upper was my SKS that was given to me years ago by a friend. I don't really like to shoot the gun, but I like the idea of the round.
Mind, I only shoot paper so keep that in mind with my comments.  

I also realize that building the 7.62 AR is like pushing a rope, but at the pice RF sells them I thought I'd take a chance.

So I bought some APC magazines, ten rounders and a Bushnell TRS-25.  I also bought and Anderson lower and built that from Anderson kit  - got my TulAmmo and went to the range. I went through 8 magazines. But had about 20% misfires. However zero failures to feed for eject.

One thing to note, prior to shooting I demeled the M4 ramps to 7.62, and polished them up.  I believe this helped greatly in the smooth loading of the rounds.

So I just ordered the Wolf spring and the enhanced firing pin to see if that clears up things.

As for accuracy, I just go the rounds on paper and didn't want to waste anymore until I get the firing pin sorted out

I have a radical firearms 7.62x39 16"upper.  I replaced the firing pin right away with a extended on so can't comment on how the one it came with worked.  My ACS mags were about %90 until I filed down the front a bit they are now %100.  CPD 30 rounders were perfect out of the box.  I have went about 400 rounds now without a single failure.  Mine shoots pretty damn good with wolf ammo 2 inch 10 round group at 50 yards.  Tula is about softball sized at 50 yards not as accurate in my gun.  Still no issues breaking clays at 50 yards with any ammo.  Mine runs hollow point, soft point whatever I put in it brass or steel.   I wouldn't put the wolf extra power spring in until you try the extended pin first thats all I needed to make mine run with steel case and the hammer spring will effect trigger pull.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Pictures or it didn't happen!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
This is all I've got for a photo of it.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I am very happy with my RF barreled upper. It is as accurate as I need it to be and has not had one ftf since I have had it. I did splurge for the Cason bolt though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm quite happy with my RF 7.62x39 as well.  I bought the BCG from Radical as well - it allegedly includes an 'enhanced' pin.  I've fired several different offerings from Wolf, Bear, and even some old steel-core Norinco.  Nary a mishap.  Surprisingly accurate too...

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
How are they selling their stuff so cheap? Are their parts foreign? I heard through the grapevine that alot of these "cheap" companies are using imported parts, the barrels being the number 1 import.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but i don't like the idea of foreign made ar15 parts.

Any merit to these accusations?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How are they selling their stuff so cheap? Are their parts foreign? I heard through the grapevine that alot of these "cheap" companies are using imported parts, the barrels being the number 1 import.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but i don't like the idea of foreign made ar15 parts.

Any merit to these accusations?
View Quote

They say on their website that they are a manufacturer first and the retailer second so I'm supposing they make their own barrels
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I am pretty sure they use green mountain barrels.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be willing to bet ESS barrels, actually.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#10]
whatever barrel they use, mine is good for 2in groups at 100 with a 1-6x34 scope and cheap as wolf steel case.Who knows what she would do if I put her on a diet and fed her good brass cased ammo? 10.5in barrel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone thought about shooting corrosive ammo through one?

I have some M67 and have been thinking about picking up a RF upper to help me go through it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#12]
What is an RF upper ??
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#13]
RF : Radical Firearms
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone thought about shooting corrosive ammo through one?

I have some M67 and have been thinking about picking up a RF upper to help me go through it.
View Quote

I've been shooting Yugo M67 thru an Alpha Shooting Sports AR upper for about 4 years now, no issues. I have plenty of other rifles in 7.62x39 to shoot commercial steel ammo thru but I run most of my M67 thru the Alpha as it's my most accurate rifle.

Just be sure to flush your upper with lots of hot water to get all the salt out. I first tried to give my rifle a thorough cleaning with a good CLP but after a few trips I got some rust around the gas tube and bolt face. So I went with hot water and no rust since. I also switched to Balistol as a lubricant, since it's water soluable it seems to rinse out easier and take more of the carbon with it than a CLP.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#15]
So I took the 7.62 to the range again, but this time I had the enhanced firing pin. I'm happy to say no issues whatsoever with about 100 rounds of TulAmmo through it. Finished zeroing in the bushnell @ 50 yards and it held reasonably tight group - 1-2 inches. Just as a reminder, my only other mod is I widened the M4 ramps.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I might have to pick up one or these to make my primary deer rifle, its between this or a PSA upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top