User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Put mine together last night (20" light profile barrel with the black finish, rifle gas, Troy gas block, ALG handguard, A2 lower, 3-9x Nikon scope) and shot it this morning.  Fired 32 rounds of Hornady SSTs, and cleaned it every 5 rounds or so per BHW's instructions. No failures.  Did initial sighting in at 40 yards and then final zero at 250 yards.  The five shot groups at 250 yards were about 3" (prone with sandbags).

This is my first AR that is not a 5.56.  I am pleased so far.  I tried to chronograph some shots, but it was too early in the morning for the chronograph to work.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
waiting for a 12 +/-  inch barrel myself...
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
waiting for a 12 +/-  inch barrel myself...
View Quote

They offer several SBR lengths for .264 LBC on their site.

I'm sure they can do Grendel SBR's the same way, since they appear to be made to order anyway.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Put mine together last night (20" light profile barrel with the black finish, rifle gas, Troy gas block, ALG handguard, A2 lower, 3-9x Nikon scope) and shot it this morning.  Fired 32 rounds of Hornady SSTs, and cleaned it every 5 rounds or so per BHW's instructions. No failures.  Did initial sighting in at 40 yards and then final zero at 250 yards.  The five shot groups at 250 yards were about 3" (prone with sandbags).

This is my first AR that is not a 5.56.  I am pleased so far.  I tried to chronograph some shots, but it was too early in the morning for the chronograph to work.
View Quote

that is my exact build, except mine has the LBC chamber, try shooting some PPU or wolf gold 120gr
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got back from out of town and opened up the package.

Looks ok but someone had the shakes when they did the graphics on the barrel. I thought my eyes were messed up.

Test fit very tight on the upper. Now I sit waiting on the rest of the parts to show up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I got mine put together last night. It's 8 lbs 11 oz as it sits right now. My goal was a 7 lb rifle with optics. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I'll get the specs listed later this evening.

Specs:
Upper:
18" Slim profile mid length gas
Mega upper (painted KG kote Knights Brown)
ALG 13" V1 (painted KG kote Knights Brown)
Troy low pro gas block (getting changed out for an adjustable gas block)
LMT M-16 bolt carrier ( getting changed out for a low mass carrier)
Forward assist plug
Strike Ind. dust cover

Lower:
Stag lower (painted KG kote Knights Brown)
Geissele SSA
6-pos buffer tube (painted KG kote Knights Brown)
H2 buffer
B5 Bravo (been ordered)
Ergo grip.

Optics:
Vortex PST 2.5 - 10 x 32 MRAD
Badger Ordnance 30mm unimount 1.3 height

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Did I hear there was going to be a 20% off sale on Black Friday?
I'm thinking this would make a fine Whitetail rifle for my 11yo daughter .

AR15 6.5 Grendel 20" with .136 headspaced bolt
Item #: AR15 6.5GR 20
Twist: 1x8
Threads or Crown: 5/8 24 tpi
AR15 Gas system: Rifle
Profile: Light (.750 gas block)
Barrel Finish: BLACK SHOT PEENED (Adds 2-4 weeks to lead time)
Fluting (adds 2-4 weeks to lead time): No fluting
Fluting finish: No fluting

$364.95
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
For an 11yr-old, I would go 16" or 18" max, light profile.

Just spent 5 days out hunting carrying the Grendel, and I took my 18" gun that weighs 7lbs 12oz with optics.

It was perfect for carrying in the mountains at least.  Great little set-up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

$364.95

View Quote

Well 20% off wouldn't be a big sale at BHW , JP we need a big Black Friday special to add a large frame to the mix maybe a 7-08 for the wife
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well 20% off wouldn't be a big sale at BHW , JP we need a big Black Friday special to add a large frame to the mix maybe a 7-08 for the wife
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$364.95

I haven't heard of anything but it's way too early for that decision. Time will tell..lol

Greg
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just spent 5 days out hunting carrying the Grendel, and I took my 18" gun that weighs 7lbs 12oz with optics.

View Quote

You're right 18" MLG light is what it will be, hate I missed the sale, I love my 18" I have now.
I may have to pull the trigger early, I need to finish it by youth weekend (11/14) and have just about everything else.
Which break would you recommend, the PWS I'm running now is loud!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You're right 18" MLG light is what it will be, hate I missed the sale, I love my 18" I have now.
I may have to pull the trigger early, I need to finish it by youth weekend (11/14) and have just about everything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BHW allows discounts for members of various sponsored boards, such as AR15Armory, etc.  I'd call them and let them know on which board you spoke to Greg and see what they'll do.  (It can never hurt to ask.)
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't normally put brakes on AR15's, especially guns meant for hunting, and even more so for youth.  The Grendel is so light recoiling, that it doesn't need one.

I have the JP SCS in mine, which feels more smooth during recoil and hand cycling.  I can spot my own hits on target easily, even with such a lightweight gun, and there is still substantial retained energy on target.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I'm impatient and impulsive and after my wife gave the go ahead last night after our daughter said she  did want to try hunting again, I pulled the trigger on this since youth weekend is in three weeks.
Caliber: 6.5 Grendel Type 1
Barrel Length: 18" H-Bar (Standard Profile)
Gas System: Mid-Length
Barrel Material: 416 Stainless Steel
Barrel Finish: Matte Black
Rifling: 1:9 Polygonal 3 groove
M4 feed ramps
Under handguard: 0.88 inches
In front of gas block: 0.73 inches
Threading (TPI): 5/8x24"
And I added the bolt

http://www.surplusammo.com/black-hole-weaponry-ar-15-18-mid-length-stainless-steel-6-5-grendel-1-9-poly-barrel-free-shipping-stripped-upper/

Now is this a different chamber or different bolt? Did I screw up by not going direct?
I'm new to this caliber and don't currently reload but plan on it one day.
This Rifle will spend most of its time on a 4 wheeler or in a box stand with 300yards max shot across the field.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well I'm impatient and impulsive and after my wife gave the go ahead last night after our daughter said she  did want to try hunting again, I pulled the trigger on this since youth weekend is in three weeks.
M4 feed ramps
And I added the bolt

http://www.surplusammo.com/black-hole-weaponry-ar-15-18-mid-length-stainless-steel-6-5-grendel-1-9-poly-barrel-free-shipping-stripped-upper/

Now is this a different chamber or different bolt? Did I screw up by not going direct?
This Rifle will spend most of its time on a 4 wheeler or in a box stand with 300yards max shot across the field.
View Quote

This IS NOT A GRENDEL! !   It is a 264 LBC.  It is false advertising. It uses the 7.62X39 bolt. It will shoot well using Grendel factory ammunition but it us not a Grendel.

Black Hole sells both. The Grendel is sold as a package with the deeper 0.135  bolt.  SAA does not have any true BHW Grendel barrels nor have they ever had any.

Greg
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This IS NOT A GRENDEL! !   It is a 264 LBC.  It is false advertising. It uses the 7.62X39 bolt. It will shoot well using Grendel factory ammunition but it us not a Grendel.

Black Hole sells both. The Grendel is sold as a package with the deeper 0.135  bolt.  SAA does not have any true BHW Grendel barrels nor have they ever had any.

Greg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M4 feed ramps
And I added the bolt

Greg

Well shit!!
It looks like I'll be returning it, BHW should say something to them!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#17]
They have.  More than once.  

Greg
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Message sent to both, don't know that I have the time for factory and hope I can get a painless refund,
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Message sent to both, don't know that I have the time for factory and hope I can get a painless refund,
View Quote

Six to eight weeks typically but something might be on the shelf.  Be pro-active and call them on the phone.  Tell them Greg told you to call.

Greg
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Six to eight weeks typically but something might be on the shelf.  Be pro-active and call them on the phone.  Tell them Greg told you to call.

Greg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

Calling them both in the morning, or Tuesday if they take every holiday off.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

Thanks

I doubt if BHW is taking off.  But since I don't work there I'm not sure.  I miss all the picnics.

Greg

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

Thanks

I've had great luck with get things that were in stock on the shelf
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

Thanks

Lots of barrels get sold that way.  They are building up a supply of the most common choices to speed things up for the shooters.  

Greg
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

Thanks

I'm hoping they have this laying around,  I spent 8 hours in a bow stand today worrying about finishing this rifle, and pissed...I'll just leave it at that until tomorrow.

AR15 6.5 Grendel 18" length with .136 headspaced bolt
Item #: AR15 6.5GR 18
AR15 Gas system: Mid

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Luckily they had what I wanted other then the standard vs light in stock and order placed with BHW. I had no trouble canceling my other order thankfully and should have it built in time for season.
Mags,ammo and scope ordered only need a a mount for the scope to have everything. I'm throwing a temporary 13" ALG on there until my credit card cools off enough to order a 15".
I'm kinda pumped about this rifle again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Luckily they had what I wanted other then the standard vs light in stock and order placed with BHW. I had no trouble canceling my other order thankfully and should have it built in time for season.
Mags,ammo and scope ordered only need a a mount for the scope to have everything. I'm throwing a temporary 13" ALG on there until my credit card cools off enough to order a 15".
I'm kinda pumped about this rifle again.
View Quote

I'm glad it came together for you. Congratulations.  Holler if you need any other assistance.

Greg
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Greg
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Any black friday sales coming?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rumor now says yes but not a firm decision on what.  PM me.

Greg
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wallet is ready, do it!
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#31]
They put up a bunch of ready to ship barrels on their website. 15% off.

Greg
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#32]
maybe i'm just confused, but I have looked all over bhw's site and cannot find the 6.5 Grendel barrels. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
maybe i'm just confused, but I have looked all over bhw's site and cannot find the 6.5 Grendel barrels. any help would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

They are waiting on a shipment of bolts so they took it off the other day.  I was looking to get another one and called to see what was up. They have been selling like hotcakes according to the fellow I talked to.

Greg
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They are waiting on a shipment of bolts so they took it off the other day.  I was looking to get another one and called to see what was up. They have been selling like hotcakes according to the fellow I talked to.

Greg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

Ok, thanks for the heads up.  I'll keep checking back to see when they are available.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ok, thanks for the heads up.  I'll keep checking back to see when they are available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

Doesn't look like they are making it in time for the sale
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Looking into a 6.5 upper, anyone used this barrel?

Eta:  Nvm I see this is not a true Grendel barrel
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a BHW .264LBC barrel. It is OK, except it won't play nicely with the steel cased 6.5G ammo. The 1:9 twist is also IMHO too slow.

All things being equal, I'd go with a barrel chambered in true 6.5 Grendel with the compound throat vs .264LBC or Grendel II. I'm also not a huge fan of BHW not contouring the barrel slightly thinner from the gas block journal to the muzzle; if you put any kind of coating on the barrel the gas block becomes fairly difficult to get on and off with the straight contour.

Alexander Arms has their 16" lightweight barrels on sale right now, and I can tell you from experience that the difference between a 16" and 18" barrel is, at most, 50fps. That's a difference you'll never notice. Plus, since Alexander Arms is the original 6.5 Grendel manufacturer, you'll be sure to get a true 6.5 Grendel chamber with the correct twist rate for Grendel-weight bullets.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a 264LBC from BHW (in fact 2) and love them both.  But I don't and won't shot steel case ammo.  Just a personal preference.  I shoot Grendel ammo most all the time.  Have not worked up any god reloads yet.  The 123gn HDY on both amax and SST are very accurate in my barrels.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have a BHW .264LBC barrel. It is OK, except it won't play nicely with the steel cased 6.5G ammo. The 1:9 twist is also IMHO too slow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get a 1:8 twist in a BHW barrel. Either 264 LBC or Grendel chamberings are offered in 1:9 or 1:8.  As son as the bolts come in the G. will be back on the site. They ran through the first 100 in a couple of weeks.

Greg
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:10:07 AM EDT
[#41]
BHW 6.5 in a LaRue Chassis. I call it a "PlayAR"

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top