User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:26:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Another round of testing this last weekend. More failure. Couldn't get it to fire. Fired before. Installation of the ejector may have pushed the shell farther forward. Got light primer strikes. Still working the bugs out. Firing pin retention spring hole is drilled in the wrong spot too. Should be .75 not .62. Getting closer.

Still waiting on ATF-FTB letter.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#2]
It's still beautiful.  Is the upper still steel?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Working on a better upper design with a sighting system. The new upper will be tested after the ATF letter comes in for final bolt design.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 3:12:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Got some material today. started goofin around. Startedcutting aluminum rect. tube. Claenup with mill end. Started making the front mount. This will be a hybrid. aluminum and steel. See if i cant get the weight down. Been 3 months. Stilll waitig for ATF approval letter, so this on will utilize the AR buffer. for giggles to see if I can make it work.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/10zofvm.jpg

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Getting a little more advanced with the alpha model.

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a pretty bad ass pistol, bud.  Looks like there's room up front to lower the top rail?  The periscope is pretty cool, however.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a successful test fire, using the downward ejection bolt. My computer crashed. Purchased a new one. So give me a little bit of time to post a youtube vid.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:50:47 AM EDT
[#8]
No worries.  Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 2:46:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a successful test fire, using the downward ejection bolt. My computer crashed. Purchased a new one. So give me a little bit of time to post a youtube vid.
View Quote

I could lower it. but then sights would be useless. You wouldn't be able to see them. TOO LOW. If you rest your cheek on the drum, it's perfect and feels natural. I guess you gotta shoot it and see. Its smaller than it looks.... On the builder forums some thought it was gonna weigh 12 lbs. Not even close...

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:57:05 AM EDT
[#10]
All the testing, measuring, swearing, cursing and jumping up and down, has gotten me this far. IM ready to make the leap to a full steel bolt. All the measurements are done. IM still waiting for ATF approval letter. If it ever comes. I would like to see a full 1000 round test without failure, with the steel bolt.

So here is the folley and frustration. I go to AZ every 2 weeks.  Its been fun. A lot of failure, and some success. But I think I am finally there.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB3bCtvYjj4&feature=youtu.be

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Still no word from ATF-FTB. Any ideas on what to do? Do I need to contact an 04 05 06 07? IM going to machine shop tomorrow to get the process started to make the steel bolt. But if ATF wants a prototype for approval in the future. I don't know what to do next. I can start making them. But will I get into trouble if I sell them?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:30:49 AM EDT
[#13]
The concern is whether the upper on it's own is a firearm or not?  You're using the hammer from the AR lower, which is the firearm.  The upper can't fire on it's own, correct?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:15:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes. Just an upper design. The question is.... Is it a gun? like the calico. The lower is not the firearm, the upper is. The trigger pack is not serialized on a calico, but the upper is.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes. Just an upper design. The question is.... Is it a gun? like the calico. The lower is not the firearm, the upper is. The trigger pack is not serialized on a calico, but the upper is.
View Quote

you know, the default place is usually the part that holds the FCG and ammo feeding.  Of course, various firearms designs get an exception to this norm and have the SN etc put on another location, e.g. the ruger Mk 22 pistol or the SCAR rifle.  Sometimes this is just to make Mfg easier as the SN has to be in metal, by law, and the mark 2 frame is all plastic so it was just easier for Ruger to make the upper the seriliazed part.  W/ the Scar, it is so that, theoreticalally, the end user could could swap the lower receiver out to swap between 223 & 308.  I do not know what the rational is for making the calico upper the serilaized part, is the lower not metal??
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:13:47 AM EDT
[#17]
No, the calico lower is plastic with internal metal trigger parts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Great read.... Interesting on how he built it. He used the buffer and recoil spring of the m16. But of course he used a registered m16 to avoid legal issues. Essentially, that's one of the ways I asked ATF-FTB, on construction without being a gun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:00:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No, the calico lower is plastic with internal metal trigger parts.
View Quote

I suspect the reason why the Calico has the serial number on the upper part is so that they did not have to put a metal plate in the lower receiver to have the serial number on it. It's just a cost-saving measure most likely.of course the ammunition also feeds through the upper receiver right the magazine clips into the upper receiver?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Exactly. That's why the determination letter. I need to be clear before I sell one. My friends love to shoot it, and everyone that see's it in person are saying "that's cool". Just being able to pop it on and go, is cool. And after bump firing 100 rounds without malfunction, shows reliability. And with the downward ejection, any jam can be cleared by just opening the bolt and have it drop free and clear. I cant wait to get the steel downward ejection bolt. That's when I believe I will be happy with it. Ambi side charger is a plus. Ambi selector lever is a plus. Then IM just gonna shoot the crap out of it. I would love to have a failure.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Well... I'm making the move. Moving to Prescott AZ. Don't know how long ATF approval letter will take, so in the mean time project is on hold. Judging by the over 21,000 views, there is some interest in this design... Any way.... more to come down the line.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  Well... I'm making the move. Moving to Prescott AZ. Don't know how long ATF approval letter will take, so in the mean time project is on hold. Judging by the over 21,000 views, there is some interest in this design... Any way.... more to come down the line.
View Quote

Welcome to the free world.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Nothing to report. Still standing by..... Have a great weekend everyone.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 2:41:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  Nothing to report. Still standing by..... Have a great weekend everyone.....
View Quote

Have a solemn Memorial Day.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow..... 22k views......
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top