Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
TAG this is awesome. I always wanted a calico when i was younger.

I often imagined walking the prairie and junipers with a calico laying waste to jackrabbits.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:10:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The periscope to a red dot sounds really cool.  That might work for an LER scope as well.  Could we see a good pic of that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Still pondering on a sighting system. never really like the calico over drum set up. It can be incorporated, buuuuuuuut........

The periscope to a red dot sounds really cool.  That might work for an LER scope as well.  Could we see a good pic of that?

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#4]
very cool sir.  make sure to keep this thread from going in to archive as time goes by.  I am also in support of the downard ejection concept.  

FYI, you can host pics for free w/ no sign up or antying at tinypic.com, then you can imbed those pic urls on arfcom.

I would like to see pictures of the upper and the neat periscope design.  Is the upper a calico upper or a mac upper or something you fabricated yourself out of sheet metal or what?  You said that you are using a mac bolt and barrel right?

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Something of my own design. Really really basic design at this point. Uses 0.075 for the sides, 0.060 for top and bottom. Using an mpa 9mm bolt, Side charger. Standard mac/cobray 9mm barrels will work, of any length. If you saw it up close, its really crude. But at this point I have all the measurement to make water jet cut parts and crank them out. For waaaaay cheap. most expensive part will of course be the bolt. Everyone seems to like the downward ejection, But remember, for those of you thinking of sticking a gutted AR magazine in there. The smallest drum is 50 rounds. Unless you get a gutted surefire mag, 60/100? I don't know if they can hold all the empty 9mm brass.

Im working on a semi version bolt at a local machine shop. He is doing some cad files for me, for a right hand ejection. But might change that to a downward ejection, But if I do that...... You know im gonna have to go with ambidesterous charging....

Depending on the length of barrel, you can have a pistol or carbine

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCcTtBBNOzw[/youtube]

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the most beneficial aspect to downward ejection is for left handers. No need to worry about brass ever hitting their face or crossing their vision. The magwell would act as a kind of shield and prevent the ejection port from ever being obstructed and causing a malfunction.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Good point....
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Something of my own design. Really really basic design at this point. Uses 0.075 for the sides, 0.060 for top and bottom. Using an mpa 9mm bolt, Side charger. Standard mac/cobray 9mm barrels will work, of any length. If you saw it up close, its really crude. But at this point I have all the measurement to make water jet cut parts and crank them out. For waaaaay cheap. most expensive part will of course be the bolt. Everyone seems to like the downward ejection, But remember, for those of you thinking of sticking a gutted AR magazine in there. The smallest drum is 50 rounds. Unless you get a gutted surefire mag, 60/100? I don't know if they can hold all the empty 9mm brass.

Im working on a semi version bolt at a local machine shop. He is doing some cad files for me, for a right hand ejection. But might change that to a downward ejection, But if I do that...... You know im gonna have to go with ambidesterous charging....

Depending on the length of barrel, you can have a pistol or carbine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCcTtBBNOzw

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#9]
IM still not too computer savy.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  IM still not too computer savy.....
View Quote

Quite all right.  You keep posting the links, we'll take care of the rest.  You're doing God's work, pissing off the liberals no end.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Its my mission in life. I live in los angeles county calif. And of course they band all magazines over 10 rounds and no grandfather clause. I just want to know when, "WE THE PEOPLE" push back....?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  Its my mission in life. I live in los angeles county calif. And of course they band all magazines over 10 rounds and no grandfather clause. I just want to know when, "WE THE PEOPLE" push back....?
View Quote

When the ballot box and the courts stop working.  We win some, we lose some.  We've got plenty of fresh air and room here in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the most beneficial aspect to downward ejection is for left handers. No need to worry about brass ever hitting their face or crossing their vision. The magwell would act as a kind of shield and prevent the ejection port from ever being obstructed and causing a malfunction.
View Quote

i disagree.  a bottom ejector is better for transitioning from L to R shoulders as when shooting around various corners.  Also, bottom eject means less of a chance to cause a stoppage if the port is bloocked suuch as in some awkward retention shooting position.  

That might be a good use for a surefire 60 rdr lol.  isnt there probably a little brass sack for the magwell of the ARs that use the 5.7 mags?

sir, does this thing use the AR action apring or does the bolt just stay in the upper rec only?

ETA: i watched the vid, I see that the unit is contained in the upper and does not reference or need the RE
(buffer tube)

What is the barrel length on that summbitch in the video?  i loke the looks
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
On the builder forums a couple of guys asked about the downward ejection, and it's possible. I will talk to the machine shop tomorrow. They have already started a cad file for right hand ejection. But might as well ask about the downward ejection. If  that's what people want. I hope they don't throw the bolt at me and say hit the road....

Master piece arms was sold out of their 16" 9mm barrels, And I couldn't wait to make a test video in a carbine version. So I welded and pinned on a steel 16" tube so I could make a carbine version and use a butt stock.. That whole idea that you can make a pistol a rifle, but not a rifle into a pistol. I did my home work.

I will call tomorrow.....

Thanks everyone for your help and input... It is appreciated.

I would like to make something that others would like to have. Not planning on getting rich or anything like that. Just want to be the guy that came up with something new and unusual. I have heard a few times that , many have thought about it, but no one has done it till now.... It's not for everyone, I understand. But to have something that weighs the same as an uzi SMG with a loaded 25 round magazine, but with 4 times the ammo, and not buying a whole new weapon system, is appealing.....

Let me know your thoughts.... Should I keep at this?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep @ it, but the probability is you won't make any money on it.  Keep it low volume production and you won't lose a whole lot either.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:43:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Exactly..... I don't plan on dumping my life savings into this..... But if it makes someone happy, I will be happy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Going on a little camping trip... more in a week.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Since LA. city has made any magazines over 10 rounds illegal in 60 days. I think I am finally going to have to relocate. This city is lost.
NO GRANDFATHER CLAUSE!!!
So ME and CARMAC, are going to have to relocate, to do further testing on my design...

Uh boy....
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I hate this state more and more every day. Good luck man.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I cannot do further construction or testing here. The smallest drum is 50 rounds. So.... IM out. 60 days puts a full stop on my progress. Ok... 10 round limit. ok. But stop there? NOPE... ALL MAGAZINES OVER 10 ROUNDS....! ALL OF THEM!!!! PISTOLS, glocks, sigs, ar's, you name it. In the land of home invasions... They limit you... Really? This place is a feeding ground..... Wheather it be taxes, thieves or unscrupulous laws, it costs you something some where. So from a Californian seeking a more free state. Please don't hate Californians fleeing this insanity. Because im fleeing! Tired of the illegal immigration.... don't get me started. Illegals trying to break into my car right in front of me, Caught one in the yard trying to steal scrap, or the bum that busted the wine bottles on the ground and chased me around a parked car 5 times, AND NOW THIS? WOW....

I feel like a man without a country here....
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#21]
You are at least getting a storage unit or safety deposit box out of state to keep all of your "evil" mags in until you can escape, right?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#22]
At the very least..... That's what im gonna do. Looking at Prescott AZ. IM looking for property. Something with a shop or 2 car attached garage. Something surrounded by trees. Tired of the city life. I have lived on the same block here in venice, all of my life, AND IM A CALIFORNIA INDIAN AND, "I" WANT OUT!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Had a long time friend come by today from Prescott AZ, and I told him my dilemma. He says he has a small workshop for me to continue with testing and building. Will be making a trip to go check it out in the next couple weeks...
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#24]
BTW,
I just wanted to point out that if you can get this as  downward ejection unit, it could be easily made into a fully ambi bull pup such as a PS90 easily since the action is completely contained in the upper.

One would just have to maybe do the butt so as not protect the tension release button on the back of the drum I guess.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Ambi is the direction we are going. Makes sense, Ambi charging and safety selector would be nice.

The magazine tension release is inoperable when installed on the weapon. There is an alignment pin that centers the magazine on the weapon. On the front on the drum you will notice a round recessed hole. The alignment pin goes in there. If you look at a calico it has a raised depression. Mine is a simple allen head screw that aligns the drum and prevents the tension release rod, which runs the length of the drum , from moving forward. I wondered about that myself in testing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ambi is the direction we are going. Makes sense, Ambi charging and safety selector would be nice.

The magazine tension release is inoperable when installed on the weapon. There is an alignment pin that centers the magazine on the weapon. On the front on the drum you will notice a round recessed hole. The alignment pin goes in there. If you look at a calico it has a raised depression. Mine is a simple allen head screw that aligns the drum and prevents the tension release rod, which runs the length of the drum , from moving forward. I wondered about that myself in testing.
View Quote

It has been a while since i have handled a calico.  I seemed to recall that the there was a button on the back that would release the spring tension, like it is a wind up mag like an AK drum, if you bumped it, making it to where one would have to take care not to let the back of the mag bump against ones shoulder when firing, particularly if you were using the 100 rd drum w/ the pistol version.  

Are you saying that you modd'd the drum mag or that you have something behind the back of the drum mag that blocks the area of concern?  If the latter, what about the 100 rd drum?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#27]
You may have had an older calico. But yes, if you bump the release button it will un-wind. But if it is mounted to the weapon and properly seated to the weapon. You can push that release button until the cows come hoe and it will NOT release spring tension. When the button is pushed at the rear, it has about 3/16 of movement before it releases, as you push the button, an internal rod that runs the length of the drum will protrude at the front of the drum, in a recessed hole. Now, I have noticed, on some older calicos. They did not have the protrusion on the magface to prevent the this from happening, and it would unwind. Just like some older calicos didn't have the drum retention tabs at the front top of the drum.

If you would like, I could make a demonstration video tomorrow....
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You may have had an older calico. But yes, if you bump the release button it will un-wind. But if it is mounted to the weapon and properly seated to the weapon. You can push that release button until the cows come hoe and it will NOT release spring tension. When the button is pushed at the rear, it has about 3/16 of movement before it releases, as you push the button, an internal rod that runs the length of the drum will protrude at the front of the drum, in a recessed hole. Now, I have noticed, on some older calicos. They did not have the protrusion on the magface to prevent the this from happening, and it would unwind. Just like some older calicos didn't have the drum retention tabs at the front top of the drum.

If you would like, I could make a demonstration video tomorrow....
View Quote

I think I undersatnd, when  the mag is inserted, something rests on the front of the mag that blocks a full length rod from moving forward even if pushed on the back side.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes exactly. If you look at a calico, you will see the protrusion on the weapon. Its in centerline with the magazine. Kind of a nifty feature....
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Pretty neat OP.

I agree with the bottom ejection idea but I think if you could get it to feed from one side or the other that would be cool so you could use with regular sights.

If you want to move, keep in mind WI is always looking for a 2A supporter.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pretty neat OP.

I agree with the bottom ejection idea but I think if you could get it to feed from one side or the other that would be cool so you could use with regular sights.

If you want to move, keep in mind WI is always looking for a 2A supporter.

View Quote

pretty sure the gun would twist in the hand w the mag on one side.  maybe op could make it feed alternately from dual side mounted mags
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#32]
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:5th_02.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:5th_04.jpg

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:5th_02.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:5th_04.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I just don't know about a side mounted mag. The drum is over half the weight. Awkward at best....
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Did some measuring, and im quite hopeful I can make downward ejection happen....
Leaving this week to go look at a shop so I can crank out a few...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:00:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Expect to see a cnc aluminum prototype bolt soon.. For downward ejection. It is only for fit and function. If it works, steel bolts will soon follow.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  Expect to see a cnc aluminum prototype bolt soon.. For downward ejection. It is only for fit and function. If it works, steel bolts will soon follow.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Expect to see a cnc aluminum prototype bolt soon.. For downward ejection. It is only for fit and function. If it works, steel bolts will soon follow.....
View Quote

you mean you are gonna hand cycle it w the aluminium bolt?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes. The aluminum bolt is for fit and function only. Im not that insane to try and fire an aluminum bolt...
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#40]
If you haven't seen the first test fire in the pistol version. Here it is:

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yes. The aluminum bolt is for fit and function only. Im not that insane to try and fire an aluminum bolt...
View Quote

DO IT!

BTW, you might have things like that 3d pri ted if you are designing that sruff on the computer.  there might even be someone here who would do that for you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:  If you haven't seen the first test fire in the pistol version. Here it is:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:58:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Just got back from AZ. Secured a shop in AZ. Moving operations there. Take a flying leap CALI! I can vote with my feet too!
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  Just got back from AZ. Secured a shop in AZ. Moving operations there. Take a flying leap CALI! I can vote with my feet too!
View Quote

Hurrah!  Outstanding!
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Hurrah!  Outstanding!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Just got back from AZ. Secured a shop in AZ. Moving operations there. Take a flying leap CALI! I can vote with my feet too!

Hurrah!  Outstanding!

Congrats!

Looking forward to updates.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just got back from AZ. Secured a shop in AZ. Moving operations there. Take a flying leap CALI! I can vote with my feet too!
View Quote

Cool. You're going to be a lot happier in AZ.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Well.... How long does it take to cad a simple mac/cobray bolt with downward ejection? A week? 2 weeks> 3 weeks? a month? Put a 700 dollar deposit. Sent an email Thursday, that made 3 weeks. No word. I brought the design in because they seemed to be concerned I was making a machinegun. And now I think they are wasting my time while they design up their own design of my concept. I LOVE CALIFORNIA!!!!! They are a shop that makes lowers and handrails. Even the 9mm lowers for glock mags.... Meanwhile im getting a shop ready in AZ. My get it in the butt, if I get out done by people who want cheat me..... What do I do next?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well.... How long does it take to cad a simple mac/cobray bolt with downward ejection? A week? 2 weeks> 3 weeks? a month? Put a 700 dollar deposit. Sent an email Thursday, that made 3 weeks. No word. I brought the design in because they seemed to be concerned I was making a machinegun. And now I think they are wasting my time while they design up their own design of my concept. I LOVE CALIFORNIA!!!!! They are a shop that makes lowers and handrails. Even the 9mm lowers for glock mags.... Meanwhile im getting a shop ready in AZ. My get it in the butt, if I get out done by people who want cheat me..... What do I do next?
View Quote

Kalifornia Killdozer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:04:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Well... One week. no e-mail reply. looks like im going to go down there, ask for my bolt any money back. I get the feeling they are trying to figure out my design behind the scenes. Havent heard a word. They said they would send e-mails of the updated cad drawings for approval on a weekly basis. They have my phone number and e-mail....
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Did you get a Non-Disclosure signed with them?
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top