Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2015 12:18:22 AM EDT
Will Hornady ever make any Superformance 6.8 ammo?

I'd love a 120 SST @ 2700 fps from a 16"
or 100gr GMX at 2800 fps

Is there any reason they have not done this yet that is specific to the 6.8?

Right now the DT 110AB and 95TTSX's are the flattest available for hunting.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i dont care for that line. That stuff is hot. The boxes i tried blew primers out and i needed to adj my gas system to be back in the ideal range.
pass on that stuff
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't  see it happening since the .223 superformance line isn't recommended for  gas guns with anything less rifle length gas tube.  Most 6.8 are going to be carbine or mid length gas.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't  see it happening since the .223 superformance line isn't recommended for  gas guns with anything less rifle length gas tube.  Most 6.8 are going to be carbine or mid length gas.
View Quote

I shot 3moa with "75gr superformance MATCH" at 50 yards...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Does OK in my bolt gun, but I don't use it with the semi's.  Apparently the pressure wave is all wrong.

My FN A3G really likes it though.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i dont care for that line. That stuff is hot. The boxes i tried blew primers out and i needed to adj my gas system to be back in the ideal range.
pass on that stuff
View Quote

It's not that it's really hot but as someone already mentioned, the pressure curve is a lot different thus causing issues.  Also seems like the only people that care about it are chasing fps.  Accuracy seems very hit or miss.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#6]
A 120gr , especially that bullet, at 2700fps from a 16" barrel is not going to happen. It is way beyond safe. That would be a 70k psi load. That bullet at 2600fps is pretty much a 60K -62k load, and you would not want to go there that often. The old Barnes 120 banded was not a hot load at 2600fps due to bullet construction.

Most 110gr bullets are going to be near warm at 2700fps. Even with AA2200 I'm at 2700fps with the 110gr Hornady and 2675fps with the Nosler AB. Much warmer and it's too hot.

I'm shooting an ARP 16" Recon, which is about the fastest barrel out there in a 16".

Typically, with Spec II loads, you lose 100fps per 10gr of bullet weight with most bullets. Banded bullets that have less bearing surface will be faster usually.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.  I had no idea superformance was troublesome from gas guns.

Is Doubletap still considered good to go?  They make the 95TTSx and 110 AB loads when you can find them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is Doubletap still considered good to go?  They make the 95TTSx and 110 AB loads when you can find them.
View Quote

I have never bought Double Tap ammo. All I ever bought was SSA, and Hornady. I just bought some XM68GD, and some S&B 110gr.

I pretty much strictly hand load.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]
That stuff is weird. The ammo doesn't seem to work in a gas gun, but the powder is the best thing my friends found for his 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]
My Bushmaster varminter with 24" barrel love the .223 super performance load but it is the only ar I have that will shoot it half decent. The 120 gr SST does pretty darn good out of my daughters 20" Stag upper. I have not choreographed it but it is only a bit off from her 110 gr. V-max dial.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have never bought Double Tap ammo. All I ever bought was SSA, and Hornady. I just bought some XM68GD, and some S&B 110gr.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on what primer they use. (LRP or SRP) That is, if you reload. I haven't shot them either.  Although, 95TTSX & 110 AB are great deer bullets.

120gr SST - I'd go with either; H335, RE 10x, or AA2200.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder how it would do in my 18" 3 groove ARP?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wonder how it would do in my 18" 3 groove ARP?
View Quote

Nobody likes a braggart.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

or 100gr GMX at 2800 fps

View Quote

As others have said superformance doesn't always play well with semi auto's.  But the main problem is hornady is backing the 6.5 grendel and may not want to offer much in the 6.8.  They don't offer a single 260 remington loading because they have the 6.5 creedmor.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As others have said superformance doesn't always play well with semi auto's.  But the main problem is hornady is backing the 6.5 grendel and may not want to offer much in the 6.8.  They don't offer a single 260 remington loading because they have the 6.5 creedmor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or 100gr GMX at 2800 fps

Well if Hornady is backing the Grendel I wish they would get off there ass and put out a GMX and some other offerings. Heck the Grendel only had 2 different rounds target and hunting and That bullet comes apart most of the time.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or 100gr GMX at 2800 fps

lol no.

Hornady offerings for the 6.8 in loaded ammo.

100gr GMX Full Boar - just released recently

110gr BTHP Match , w/ cannelure

110gr V-Max

120gr SST

Hornady 6.5G loaded ammo

123gr A-max

123gr SST

Twice as many offerings in the 6.8 as the 6.5G.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or 100gr GMX at 2800 fps

You have been listening to way to much G fan propaganda.
Hornady is much more vested in the 6.8, and has been for years now.
They have created projectiles specifically for the 6.8, the latest being the recently released 100gr GMX.
The 6.8 has more projectiles created specifically for it than any other variant on the AR15.
By Hornady, Sierra, Barnes, Federal, S&B, Nosler, G&S, Remington to name a few.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or 100gr GMX at 2800 fps

Hornady also sponsors at least 1 6.8 shooter that I know of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tdKioY1TXo&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or 100gr GMX at 2800 fps

Hornaday had no reason NOT to produce ammo in a caliber that they can sell.  They would be fools to "back" one caliber by not producing another..

Doc
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top