Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 9:44:28 AM EDT
I've read posts and arguements for days. i'm going to build one, and hope to avoid some common pitfalls. here's what i'm going to use for certain;

1. Mega Arms upper/lower/rail
2. 18" Barrel to be determined
3. A2 Stock, buffer tube/buffer/spring to be determined (I do like Tubbs springs)
4. Iron sights if I use optics it will be Aimpoint in combo with Troy
5. Standard LPK to be determined (obviously one that will work with the Mega
6. BCB to be determined

what I don't want

1. adj gas block
2. not a match grade weapon, doesn't need a mondo expensive trigger

so, if a concensus can be reached on the "to be determined" parts I would appreciate it. I already have a PSA/PTAC 18" that shoots well, but the fit annoys me. I will be running IMI ammo thru it, perhaps some Federal,,all FMJ

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I've read posts and arguements for days. i'm going to build one, and hope to avoid some common pitfalls. here's what i'm going to use for certain;

3. A2 Stock, buffer tube/buffer/spring to be determined (I do like Tubbs springs)

6. BCB to be determined

what I don't want

1. adj gas block

so, if a concensus can be reached on the "to be determined" parts I would appreciate it. I already have a PSA/PTAC 18" that shoots well, but the fit annoys me. I will be running IMI ammo thru it, perhaps some Federal,,all FMJ

View Quote

3. have you looked at http://heavybuffers.com/   For buffers & springs?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6. BCB to be determined

what I don't want

1. adj gas block

No but I will now, sounds interesting. Do you have hands on experience with these parts?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If going A2 stock, use the Armalite buffer system. Get their spring and buffer. Slash buffers are expensive and not necessary unless your going to be using a suppressor.

I'd also recommend Armalite lpk. Very good triggers for the money.

I pretty much recommend Armalite for everything but the receivers. Bcg, lpk, buffer system. Will make a very reliable and smooth shooting rifle
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If going A2 stock, use the Armalite buffer system. Get their spring and buffer. Slash buffers are expensive and not necessary unless your going to be using a suppressor.

I pretty much recommend Armalite for everything but the receivers. Bcg, lpk, buffer system. Will make a very reliable and smooth shooting rifle
View Quote

thanks, appreciate it. will the BCG work with the DPMS barrel type? looking at Mega's site seems everything is now DPMS, thought i'd read earlier somewhere there was once 2 upper types depending on the barrels chosen
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
You may have seen this...
http://www.megaarms.com/maten/compatibility/

Armalite receiver extension, buffer and spring get much respect.
Verify with Mega on fitment for Armalite bolt catch AR10A or AR10B ??

The AR10A bolt catch for example, will not fit the M5 recess....it is a beefy bolt catch, though.
While the AR10A mag catch works great in the M5.

For your trigger why not the QMS ($45) or ACT ($65) ?
Decent mil spec triggers that can be gussied up with JP springs and a trigger adjuster screw, if a lighter pull is wanted.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
You may have seen this...
http://www.megaarms.com/maten/compatibility/

Armalite receiver extension, buffer and spring get much respect.
Verify with Mega on fitment for Armalite bolt catch AR10A* or AR10B* ??

The AR10A bolt catch for example, will not fit the M5 recess....it is a beefy bolt catch, though.
While the AR10A mag catch works great in the M5.

For your trigger why not the QMS ($45) or ACT ($65) ?
Decent mil spec triggers that can be gussied up with JP springs and a trigger adjuster screw, if a lighter pull is wanted.

*AR10A - Pmag compatible
*AR10B - Original, modified M14 mag compatible
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#7]
ALG ACT trigger

Faxon Firearms Barrel I built one with 18 " Heavy Fluted Black SS. Way lighter than the SASS barrel It's a Work of Art

AIM Surplus Nitride BCG (Faxon recommended)
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No but I will now, sounds interesting. Do you have hands on experience with these parts?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

6. BCB to be determined

what I don't want

1. adj gas block

Well I have them in my hands, but 0 experience using them YET. They were recommended to me by someone on here. Still working on my build.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

So Slash's stuff is a waste of money IF you're not going to run it suppressed?

So i could have just bought this http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-AR15-M16-A2-Rifle-Stock-Kit-p/stock%20a2%20kit%20-%20black.htm  along with these? http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA1095&ReturnUrl=Categories2.aspx?Category=50a463c3-eb12-4543-85f9-548c0aee3d90     &     http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA1090&ReturnUrl=Categories2.aspx?Category=50a463c3-eb12-4543-85f9-548c0aee3d90      ?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

thanks, appreciate it. will the BCG work with the DPMS barrel type? looking at Mega's site seems everything is now DPMS, thought i'd read earlier somewhere there was once 2 upper types depending on the barrels chosen
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armalite and DPMS are two different receiver extensions.............not advisable to mix or match
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Armalite and DPMS are two different receiver extensions.............not advisable to mix or match
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not entirely correct or incorrect. DPMS and Armalite both use the same RIFLE extension. DPMS users an Ar15 carbine extension, shortened buffer and spring. Armalite uses an extended carbine extension, the same operating spring for rifle and carbine, and a regular H3 style ar15 carbine buffer.

They both use the same size rifle length buffer, but different weights.

For the utmost reliability, use an Armalite rifle length gas tube, even on a "DPMS" barrel. The barrel extensions are dimensionally the same, gas port locations are the same. Armalite uses a slightly longer tube because it gives a better seal on the gas key. Check headspace just because it's good to. Armalite bcg with DPMS extension works fine. You don't want to mix and match bcg parts. Use the entire thing. Everything else can pretty much be swapped around.

Do your research, but in the end, build your MaTen with all Armalite parts and you won't regret it. Buy once with Armalite, and you won't cry.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:41:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not entirely correct or incorrect. DPMS and Armalite both use the same RIFLE extension. DPMS users an Ar15 carbine extension, shortened buffer and spring. Armalite uses an extended carbine extension, the same operating spring for rifle and carbine, and a regular H3 style ar15 carbine buffer.

For the utmost reliability, use an Armalite rifle length gas tube, even on a "DPMS" barrel. The barrel extensions are dimensionally the same, gas port locations are the same. Armalite uses a slightly longer tube because it gives a better seal on the gas key. Check headspace just because it's good to. Armalite bcg with DPMS extension works fine. You don't want to mix and match bcg parts. Use the entire thing. Everything else can pretty much be swapped around.

Do your research, but in the end, build your MaTen with all Armalite parts and you won't regret it. Buy once with Armalite, and you won't cry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with using as many ArmaLite Inc. components as possible.  Depending on what gas system length you go with for an 18" barrel, you will need to look at different gas tubes lengths.

ArmaLite Inc. has well-engineered critical components, and has been around in this industry since 1996 when Eagle acquired the ArmaLite name.  The .308 BCG market has been de-tuning with evryone and their brother trying to jump on the bandwagon, even though BCG's are the most compatible components across the majority of SR25/AR10/LR-308 rifles.  People simply don't have a handle on the critical dimensions, gas vent locations and diameters, bolt lug lengths, firing pin hole dims, extractor metallurgy, spring metallurgy, basic finish work on the bolts to eliminate burrs in areas that will bind, etc.

The idea is that you simply slap on some Nickel Boron, and all of a sudden a no-spec, "guess who" BCG becomes a premium BCG.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are correct on the receiver extension.........my brain went blank...........I was meaning the barrel extension..........which are different on DPMS and Armalite...........Armalite BCG with DPMS barrel is NOT recommended by some............and with that said, I wouldn't do it.............That's the problem with this platform............limited commonality of parts..........but if some parts interchange it is by chance and not design.......
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the input, this topic is part of my "research" and i appreciate the info. single sourcing as many of the critical parts is critical to me. i want to keep it simple and hassle free, end up with a rifle that performs nearly as well as any one of the many M14's i used to hump around
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#15]
The DPMS LR-308 buffer, spring and AR15 receiver extension tube can be had for < $40
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#16]
so far seems to be a consensus for;

1. Mega Arms upper/lower/rail (this one was set in concrete already)
2. Armalite buffer extension tube,buffer,spring, and stock (88 bucks at armalite page)

leaving:

1. barrel (wish ARP made one)
2. BCG
3. LPK
4. gas block if i decide to go adjustable
5. muzzle brake/flash hider
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top