Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2015 7:55:24 AM EDT
Has anyone fitted MOE handguards on either the Faxon 18" medium taper mid-length barrel or the 20" medium taper rifle barrel?

Rifle barrel

Mid-length

I have a DPMS upper and would like to use my spare DPMS delta assembly but I am willing to get another delta assembly to be able to use the MOE handguards.

When I first bought my DPMS rifle, I was able to install MOE carbine handguards with no problem but when I built a second upper using a 20" rifle barrel, I found I could not use rifle length MOE handguards.  So, I figured I would ask before I wasted money on parts that won't fit.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Faxon uses standard AR15 style gas tubes for their 308 barrels.

So if you use a mid-length handguard on a mid-length barrel or a rifle length handguard on a rifle length barrel you should be good.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So if you use a mid-length handguard on a mid-length barrel or a rifle length handguard on a rifle length barrel you should be good.
View Quote

Correct. We have installed a mid MOE handguard system on our 308 barrels without issue.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Correct. We have installed a mid MOE handguard system on our 308 barrels without issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just how does everyone else handle this?

Is it the DPMS Delta assembly?  I am seeing about a quarter of an inch too much that keeps me from installing MOEs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Can we see the bare gas block and photos of the front interface?

Its common to not have the front caught in the retaining ring which creates that 1/4" gap.

-Nathan
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I really think the issue is the length of the delta assembly.  Can anyone that has used a MOE on the Faxon middy tell me where they bought their delta assembly?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Will Faxon ever offer other caliber barrels for AR10 type?  Looking to put together a 6.5CM.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Will Faxon ever offer other caliber barrels for AR10 type?  Looking to put together a 6.5CM.
View Quote

Yep. We are trying to catch up on demand before creating more!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
That does look like a long delta ring. I had my ops guys check on another barrel and it fit without issue.

We have a formal DPMS ring (from a long time ago) that we used for the testing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That does look like a long delta ring. I had my ops guys check on another barrel and it fit without issue.

View Quote

Does anyone have a recommended assembly I could buy?

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send me an email (Not a PM, please).

May have something lying around.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I tried to email but AR-15.com won't let me.  

"----- Forwarded Message -----

This is the Spam Firewall at mailfilter.ar15.com.

I'm sorry to inform you that the message below could not be delivered.
When delivery was attempted, the following error was returned."

This what I tried to send:
I appreciate your assistance in helping me identify my problem.  I swear I am not looking for free stuff.  If you tell me where to buy the assemble, I would buy my own.  As a matter of fact, I will be glad to send my assembly to you to see who made it and what to look for in the future as it appears to be useless to me.

I do intend on disassembling the delta and seeing if the nut is too long too.  Once I determine that I will be looking for a new assembly to finish this rifle.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I appreciate your assistance in helping me identify my problem.  I swear I am not looking for free stuff.  If you tell me where to buy the assemble, I would buy my own.  As a matter of fact, I will be glad to send my assembly to you to see who made it and what to look for in the future as it appears to be useless to me.

I do intend on disassembling the delta and seeing if the nut is too long too.  Once I determine that I will be looking for a new assembly to finish this rifle.

Thanks,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

It made it through. Replied.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Update:

I bought another delta assembly from PSA and it appears that may be where I bought the first one (not DPMS).  The second delta assembly has the exact same problem.  I decided to take a different approach since the MOE thing was pissing me off.  I decided on a 9.25 Samson Evolution free float.  I was hoping to be able to retain the YHM folding front sight and keep the weight down as well.  

Anyway, here is what it finally looks like.  I hope to test fire later this week.  

I also want to say thanks to Nathan at Faxon.   He (and they) have really shown interest in a lowly single build like this.  

This what the "parent" rifle looks like with the new upper to compare.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top