Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2015 4:12:24 PM EDT
I bought the AP M5 upper lower combo from DOA Arms in VA Beach. The Idea for the Rifle is a between 400-600yd maybe longer rifle. Longest Range to me that allows me to shoot 400 yds is only 40-50 minutes away. the 1000yd is 1hour 20 minutes plus I have to take a class as well my rifle must pass their inspection for capability of accurately shooting that distance with out damaging their range or equipment that's down the range.

In-Hand
Aero Precision Stripped Upper and Lower
RRA Stage 2 Match Trigger
AP Parts (Dust Cover, M5 Takedown/Pivot Pin)
Armalite Mag Catch
BA-E Billet Mag Button
Magpul MIAD Pistol Grip (May change it out....had it laying around)
HEX Ambi Safety Selector

Build Plan
LOWER
AR-308 PRS Butt-stock Kit FDE w/ Buffer Tube, Buffer Weight and Spring
Phase 5 Tactical Extended Bolt Release V2-308 DPMS

UPPER
AXTS Raptor Ambidextrous 7.62MM
Fulton Armory 24" Bull Barrel 1x10 Stainless Match / Threaded Gray (Criterion)
Gas Block Low Profile .936
DSG Forward Assist Kit
SLR Rifleworks 15" 308 Solo lite Handgaurd - Keymod
Surefire Socom SFMB-762 5/8-24 Muzzle Brake
Rifle Length 308 Gas Tube .325" longer then AR-15 Tube
Aero Precision 308 BCG w/ Forward Assist
Fulton Armory Bolt 308 Complete
Harris Bipod 9-13" With Leg Notches w/ Keymod Adapter
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 EBR 1 MRAD Scope

One of the big questions I have been trying to find in all the AP M5 posts I don't seem to see an answer for is.
Does the AXTS Raptor charging handle require the drilling spots like the BCM Charging handle????

Also the RRA Pins did fit fine in the AP Lower. The Trigger pin went in by just pushing it in. The Trigger Pin required slight tapping. Trigger functioned the way it should have.
I will have pictures hopefully this weekend. As long as nothing comes up from work.

Thanks,
Will post pics this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good. You got the Armalite gas tube, Armalite mag catch, only thing i would suggest different is to use an Armalite AR10 rifle buffer and operating spring since you don't have an adjustable gas block listed.

If going fixed gas block, i highly recommend the Armalite buffer system. Very smooth, very reliable. If you want to tame the recoil, get the adjustable has block, Armalite rifle buffer and spring, remove the weights from the buffer, and tune away.

i Don't think the raptor handle needs to be filed down at all. The BCM has 2 tabs on the underside of the handle, these got in the way of the earlier Aero sets, but they fixed this issue.

On the trigger pins, usually they need a little persuasion. If it dropped in so easily, you might want to check or the receivers pin holes. All 3 RRA kits over used required some effort with the trigger pin. Not much, but enough to notice. RRA is known for tight tolerances, so for me, I'd double check that lower.

Aero makes good stuff, but the M5 has given them a ton of petty issues that have slowly been worked out. If everything feels fine, give it a shot. Just keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:23:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know Aero revised that issue with the BCM Charging handle. I may opt for the BCM CH instead.

Yeah for the RRA Trigger it didn't go in easily but I was able to push it in with some force with out having to tap it with a small hammer. The pins required more effort than the ACT Defense Triggers on my last couple of AR15 builds.

Yeah the stock part of the rifle I am a little iffy on. I do want the Magpul PRS stock which Brownells has a Kit that comes with a 308 Buffer and spring and Rifle Tube. I don't know for sure if the buffer and spring are DPMS or Armalite.....I'm gonna say probably DPMS. But if the Armalite Buffer and spring are better then I will definitely purchase that instead.

I've read people praising adjustable gas blocks helping reduce recoil. Is it that big of a difference? Never shot anything with an adjustable gas block unless the Saiga 410 counts? Though that isn't much recoil to begin with.

Thanks for all the info so far. It will help me in the long run with this build.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:08:02 AM EDT
[#3]
If your iffy on the stock check out the Luth-AR
I'm using it in my build.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't know Aero revised that issue with the BCM Charging handle. I may opt for the BCM CH instead.

Yeah for the RRA Trigger it didn't go in easily but I was able to push it in with some force with out having to tap it with a small hammer. The pins required more effort than the ACT Defense Triggers on my last couple of AR15 builds.

Yeah the stock part of the rifle I am a little iffy on. I do want the Magpul PRS stock which Brownells has a Kit that comes with a 308 Buffer and spring and Rifle Tube. I don't know for sure if the buffer and spring are DPMS or Armalite.....I'm gonna say probably DPMS. But if the Armalite Buffer and spring are better then I will definitely purchase that instead.

I've read people praising adjustable gas blocks helping reduce recoil. Is it that big of a difference? Never shot anything with an adjustable gas block unless the Saiga 410 counts? Though that isn't much recoil to begin with.

Thanks for all the info so far. It will help me in the long run with this build.
View Quote

not so much about reducing the recoil, as it is about tuning the gas system, and ensuring proper cycling, and eliminating overgas.

ensuring minimal "extra" recoil is a side effect, you don't have to worry about tuning the buffer spring or buffer.

you can tune your rifle to run lower powered rounds, where as a fixed gas rifle may encounter issues, with adj. gas, the issues become fixed with
the turn of a set screw, no matter which end of the spectrum they crop up on.

its just all around less headache, buy once, cry once.

highly recommend the SLR Sentry 7. after running it on a 7.5" AR pistol, i'd run nothing else - YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#5]
If you order the AR10 mag catch, you will likely get their B model mag catch which was not designed for Pmags.
I'm going to try the AR10A mag catch since that's the one that was designed for Pmags.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The raptor does not need to be filed, it's drop in.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you order the AR10 mag catch, you will likely get their B model mag catch which was not designed for Pmags.
I'm going to try the AR10A mag catch since that's the one that was designed for Pmags.
View Quote

Crap yeah I got the B model......o well it was only 8 bucks lost.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah that is my back up. I have that on my RRA which I converted to a DMR. Great stock for the price.
I also ordered the parts I need to help finish the lower (Extension Tube, Armalite Rifle Buffer, Armalite Buffer Spring, and Armalite A mag catch.

All I need now is a bolt catch and will order the phase 5 dpms 308 next week.

I read in another forum someone had issues with it not locking the bolt back? Anyone have any issues with this not locking the bolt back?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One member here has reported that he has the AR10B mag catch working in the M5.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah that is my back up. I have that on my RRA which I converted to a DMR. Great stock for the price.
I also ordered the parts I need to help finish the lower (Extension Tube, Armalite Rifle Buffer, Armalite Buffer Spring, and Armalite A mag catch.

I read in another forum someone had issues with it not locking the bolt back? Anyone have any issues with this not locking the bolt back?

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I wouldn't throw too much bling at it until I got it running reliably.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:55:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Kinda have to agree with this one. As many posts of people having problems with their build. Go as easy on the bling as possible.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Kinda have to agree with this one. As many posts of people having problems with their build. Go as easy on the bling as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Yeah, understandable.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Pictures as promised

Pic below shows lower with PMAG20 in. I don't know how to tell what Gen Mag it is but I have 2 PMAG25 that fit perfect as well with Windows.
Now the Armalite B mag catch is what is installed and all 3 mags lock in and are solid. I tried to push and pull the mags out and they are not budging with out having to push the mag release. So I don't know what the difference is. I have taken 2 extra pics of the inside mag well and the lined up mag to the lower. The 2 PMAG25 mags drop freely but the 1 PMAG 20 requires a little wiggling to make the mag drop.

Pic 1 of Mag locked in mag well.

Inside mag well of Armalite B mag catch

Magazine lined up with Mag catch

Upper and lower using AP Pins

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Also I miss read the info about the Phase 5 308 bolt catch lever. It was the persons lower receiver that prevented it from moving into the locking position which his lower was not a Aero Precision setup. From the AP Setups no one that I have read has had a issue with it unless I have missed a topic but from the other one I have read it seems it was the AP bolt catch was had some issues.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I also endorse the advice of ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK.

My M5 build was SUPER nice tuning the gas from over-gassed & DEFORMED mouths of brass cases to gassed just right and non-deformed brass.

It didn't affect/effect recoil though.

I highly recommend it.

~Will
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My M5 build was SUPER nice tuning the gas from over-gassed & DEFORMED mouths of brass cases to gassed just right and non-deformed brass.

I highly recommend it.

~Will
View Quote

Wow I didn't know it would be over gassed that badly to be deforming the brass that much. Ok this will be something I definitely look into for the upper part of the build.

I'm surprised though with a rifle length gas system......is this due to the smaller gas tube diameter that really is made for 223/556? Just Wondering.

Thanks for the insight.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wow I didn't know it would be over gassed that badly to be deforming the brass that much. Ok this will be something I definitely look into for the upper part of the build.

I'm surprised though with a rifle length gas system......is this due to the smaller gas tube diameter that really is made for 223/556? Just Wondering.

Thanks for the insight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My M5 build Assembly was SUPER nice tuning the gas from over-gassed & DEFORMED mouths of brass cases to gassed just right and non-deformed brass.

I highly recommend it.

~Will

Thanks for the insight.

My M5 Assembly (I didn't cut, grind or remove any metal, or weld any metal so technically not a "BUILD")

M5 Upper & Lower (assembled - by AP)
Magpul MIAD
Magpul PRS (.308)
DPMS Rifle Spring & Buffer
Giesselle DMR
Extended Mag Release
Noveske/Magpul 45* safety

CMMG Mk 3 - 15" KeyMod Rail
18" Rainier Ultra Match barrel (Mid length Gas)
SEEKINS Adjustable gas Block
AiM NiB BCG (no serrations)
PWS PRC muzzle brake
Magpul back-up (plastic) sights
BCM ono-Kine Grip
Ass't panels

SCOPE
LT-745 (30mm 10MOA)
SuperSnipper 3-9x42

In this pic the hand guard is pushed forward a bit, for easier access to tune the adjustable gas block from the starboard side.

Deformed brass during break-in & zeroing scope:

Brass at the end of zeroing & gas adjust:

Sixth case from the bottom has a dent in the neck/shoulder from a failure to eject/double feed.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My M5 Assembly (I didn't cut, grind or remove any metal, or weld any metal so technically not a "BUILD")

Magpul MIAD
Magpul PRS (.308)
Giesselle DMR
Extended Mag Release

PWS PRC muzzle brake
BCM ono-Kine Grip
Ass't panels

SCOPE
LT-745 (30mm 10MOA)
SuperSnipper 3-9x42

http://imageshack.com/a/img909/8144/MMrr4U.jpg

In this pic the hand guard is pushed forward a bit, for easier access to tune the adjustable gas block from the starboard side.

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/6279/QWmjYp.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/5447/QHNs1y.jpg

Sixth case from the bottom has a dent in the neck/shoulder from a failure to eject/double feed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My M5 build Assembly was SUPER nice tuning the gas from over-gassed & DEFORMED mouths of brass cases to gassed just right and non-deformed brass.

I highly recommend it.

~Will

Thanks for the insight.

Magpul MIAD
Magpul PRS (.308)
Giesselle DMR
Extended Mag Release

PWS PRC muzzle brake
BCM ono-Kine Grip
Ass't panels

SCOPE
LT-745 (30mm 10MOA)
SuperSnipper 3-9x42

http://imageshack.com/a/img909/8144/MMrr4U.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/6279/QWmjYp.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/5447/QHNs1y.jpg

What kind of accuracy and velocity are you getting out of that barrel? I've got the same one and my assembly is still ongoing...just curious what I can expect when all is done.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What kind of accuracy and velocity are you getting out of that barrel? I've got the same one and my assembly is still ongoing...just curious what I can expect when all is done.
View Quote

I haven't put the rifle through its paces yet, just got 50 rounds through the barrel to break it in (personal habit, not based on any data) and get the gas tuned.

M80 ball at 25 yards is grouping good!  But thats off a bench, shooting for mechanical function and brass recovery & not for accuracy.

It will be a while before I chrono & shoot beyond 25 yards.

~Will
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Everyone is saying adjustable gas, adjustable gas. I bought a regular gas block, and will be using it suppressed and unsuppressed. Should I be looking into adjustable?

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Everyone is saying adjustable gas, adjustable gas. I bought a regular gas block, and will be using it suppressed and unsuppressed. Should I be looking into adjustable?

View Quote

Yes...
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you planning on keeping and reloading your brass?

If NO, I wouldn't worry about it, let the scrubs who pick through your range detritus moan about the case mouths.

If YES, I would recommend getting an adjustable gas black, so that you aren't moaning about your horribly miss-shapen brass.

Suppressed?  I would think an adjustable gas block would be very nice, but again, it depends on how your rifle functions and if you get alot of blowback through your upper receiver.

Individual Results May Vary.

This is with a 5.56 platform, but is a great video SYRAC ADJ GAS

I was able to dial in my gas and watch the brass do the same thing with my ejected brass!

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If NO, I wouldn't worry about it, let the scrubs who pick through your range detritus moan about the case mouths.

If YES, I would recommend getting an adjustable gas black, so that you aren't moaning about your horribly miss-shapen brass.

Suppressed?  I would think an adjustable gas block would be very nice, but again, it depends on how your rifle functions and if you get alot of blowback through your upper receiver.

I was able to dial in my gas and watch the brass do the same thing with my ejected brass!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since I already bought a non adjustable, I'll give that a try first and see how it goes. I reload, so if it chews up brass, something will have to change.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Since I already bought a non adjustable, I'll give that a try first and see how it goes. I reload, so if it chews up brass, something will have to change.
View Quote

What barrel length & gas length do you have?  Also if you can, measure your gas port diameter.

I have a .308 18" Rainier Arms Ultra-match barrel with MID-LENGTH gas system, and it NEEDS an adjustable gas system.

My .308 21" DPMS "HUNTER" barrel with RIFLE LENGTH gas system, not so much needed...

~Will
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What barrel length & gas length do you have?  Also if you can, measure your gas port diameter.

I have a .308 18" Rainier Arms Ultra-match barrel with MID-LENGTH gas system, and it NEEDS an adjustable gas system.

My .308 21" DPMS "HUNTER" barrel with RIFLE LENGTH gas system, not so much needed...

~Will
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Will

18" mid length gas. What's the port size on your barrel?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Will

Port diameter is 2.02mm or 0.0795 in measured on a Mitutoyo digital caliper.

~Will
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm thinking of going with either the Syrac Ordinance adjustable gas block or the SLR Rifleworks one & having Ranier Arms pin it for me when i order the barrel & bolt. Pinning a good idea or waste of $45 lol?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I used the Odin Adjustable gas block . Seems like a nice quality product. A little cheaper in cost. I haven't installed it yet.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I used the Odin Adjustable gas block . Seems like a nice quality product. A little cheaper in cost. I haven't installed it yet.
View Quote

That does seem like a nice one, wonder if they could pin that one also?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think so, it has set screws. When I ordered my barrel from Rainier they dimpled my barrel. Should be good to go.

You could ask, they answer pretty quick on their forum.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

~Will
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

~Will

~Will

Will,

What rail are you using?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I don't think so, it has set screws. When I ordered my barrel from Rainier they dimpled my barrel. Should be good to go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome thanks, are you going to use loctite or something else on those set screws?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Awesome thanks, are you going to use loctite or something else on those set screws?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot I have blue Loctite.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem lol.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Will,

What rail are you using?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Will,

What rail are you using?

15" CMMG Mk3 Rkm15 Rail: RAIL

Quoted:
Quoted:

They PROBABLY COULD, I mean if they are drilling the barrel, they could PROABABLY drill the gas block too...  All depends on how much you want to spend!

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
They PROBABLY COULD, I mean if they are drilling the barrel, they could PROABABLY drill the gas block too...  All depends on how much you want to spend!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will,

What rail are you using?

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want my gas block pinned, i like a bomb proof system lol. On that rail how does it fit up to your Aero Precision upper receiver?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will,

What rail are you using?

Quoted:
Quoted:

On their web site I believe it says $30 to pin. Now I'm not sure about this gas block. I don't see how its going to move with the dimples for the set screws. They said there were only one dimple, I asked for the second dimple.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

On their web site I believe it says $30 to pin. Now I'm not sure about this gas block. I don't see how its going to move with the dimples for the set screws. They said there were only one dimple, I asked for the second dimple.
View Quote

Its not so much the 'movement' its the potential error in installation.  I have DPMS FACTORY dimples on my barrel as well, yet the gas block was misaligned and choked off the gas...

About the only way a pinned gas block can be put on incorrectly is BACKWARDS or trying to remove or install the pins in the wrong direction.

You should be good on your barrel, if it was dimpled for that gas block.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will,

What rail are you using?

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did Ranier Arms charge you for dimpling?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will,

What rail are you using?

Quoted:

They told me all their barrels had one dimple. I noticed the gas block had two set screws and I put in the comments to add the second dimple. I didn't get charged. What great customer service. Got the SLR ultra lite rails, that block just fits in like a glove. Cant wait to shoot this thing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#41]

SWEET! Thanks for the heads up, pretty sure im going to order a Ranier barrel & SLR adjustable gas block from Ranier.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
SWEET! Thanks for the heads up, pretty sure im going to order a Ranier barrel & SLR adjustable gas block from Ranier.
View Quote

I got an 18" rainier match barrel. $315 doesn't seem too bad for a match barrel. I've seen some stupid high prices too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:23:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Here is my AP M5 in its CURRENT configuration:

I liked the 18" Rainier Ultra-Match barrel, but, it looks (and probably will shoot) better in my MATEN 12" Keymod Upper.  That receiver is TIGHT!

WHAT I REALLY WANT IS THE MATEN SET with the 16" M-LOK RAILED UPPER THOUGH...

I have a nice 21" Lothar-Walther barrel that I am contemplating sending to Marvin Pitts to have dimpled that would look & SHOOT great in that set-up

~Will
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Here is my AP M5 in its CURRENT configuration:

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/7291/tLBkF6.jpg

I liked the 18" Rainier Ultra-Match barrel, but, it looks (and probably will shoot) better in my MATEN 12" Keymod Upper.  That receiver is TIGHT!
WHAT I REALLY WANT IS THE MATEN SET with the 16" M-LOK RAILED UPPER THOUGH...

I have a nice 21" Lothar-Walther barrel that I am contemplating sending to Marvin Pitts to have dimpled that would look & SHOOT great in that set-up

~Will
View Quote

Will, looks very nice! Does your lower receiver have the upper tensioning screw in it? IF not is there any play in your upper/lower receivers?

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top