Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2015 6:22:20 PM EDT

Summary:

- Used AR10 (T) for sale locally on clearance.

- The rifle has the look of a ban era gun.

-- Fixed A2 stock

-- Carbine length carbon fiber solid freefloat handguard

-- ~16 inch barrel with a clearly pinned 3 baffle brake

Today, a pinned device is an indicator of a barrel that would otherwise be <16 inches. However, during the ban, the same logic applied to remove the 'threaded' barrel from the 'bad' features, so finding a pinned brake on a 20 inch barrel was common. The staff wasn't much help, and I had nothing to measure it with. Tomorrow I may return with a 16 inch brass rod to take an official measurement.

I wonder if this is a 16.1 inch barrel that Armalite pinned with a brake to make it a non 1994 AW. It would help me if any of you experts knew if Armalite made any <16 inch barrels before Sept 2005. I've got no interest in SBRing it, and I'd like to think I could take that brake off without any legal problems.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two ban-era AR10 carbines with the pinned 3-baffle brakes on 16" barrels.  Its factory.  I believe the vast majority, if not all, of the Armalite AR10A2/A4/T carbines were made that way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
My '04 EagleArms had a pinned & welded brake which I removed.  The barrel is 16 1/4".
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an AR10 with an a2 stock, 16" barrel and pinned brake but it's not readily available to me. I think there is a 16" under there but am not sure
View Quote

It should be if it is factory.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all!  This is what I would have thought.  Looks like a return trip and an official measurement is in order.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#6]
It is in fact over 16 inches, but just barely. It passes both the breech face test, and even just barely passes the pure length test, but just barely.

I went over it fairly closely and could find only one issue.  This rifle doesn not appear to have been fired much, but the gas rings (a single coil) are not especially tight.  Given the minor wear on the normal wear points, this is the only thing that is a bit out of place.  It's clean, and if you point the bolt/carrier straight up with the bolt extended, the ring tension just barely holds it out.  If you jar it, the bolt will retract.

$950... Since we have rules:

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, that how I remember them back in the ban era.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#8]
they sure did.  My first was thusly.  Dark times they were
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a  McFarlin gas ring and that's normal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like the old gasblock as well...a true classic.  Anybody got a 20-round mag with a plunger in the follower that he can purchase for $100?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:04:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks like the old gasblock as well...a true classic.  Anybody got a 20-round mag with a plunger in the follower that he can purchase for $100?
View Quote

Nope, I filled it w/ liquid nailes and made it a lower receiver vise block, its best use theretofore
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's a  McFarlin gas ring and that's normal.
View Quote

Ok, Thanks! Is there a reason it's "loose" compared to what I'm used to with AR15s?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks like the old gasblock as well...a true classic.
View Quote

Is there a known problem with the old block? One thing's clear, it's not on the same plane as the upper's rail. I think they still do that though.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is there a known problem with the old block? One thing's clear, it's not on the same plane as the upper's rail. I think they still do that though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem that I'm aware of.  Just noticed it was the older contour versus the squared off block they on mine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Memories...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No problem that I'm aware of. Just noticed it was the older contour versus the squared off block they on mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem that I'm aware of. Just noticed it was the older contour versus the squared off block they on mine.

You are right.  New ones appear to be a 'clamp on' style, and this one is pinned (single pin).

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just happen to have one of those!  Came with my rifle, PO said he paid $80 for it.  It actually works 100% so I use it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top