Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2015 6:10:27 PM EDT
Looking at getting back into the battle rifle world and considering the two piston offerings from Ruger and Sig.

I'm looking for a 16-18" general purpose rifle that can be used out to 500 yards that I'll be putting either a 1-4/6x scope or an ACOG on. Not a precision build, particularly.

It seems the AR platform is the winner here: wider aftermarket support, better accuracy, more gunsmiths who know the rifles, but I still have a soft spot for the ole FN FAL (I like the ergonomics of the left hand charger and the theoretical ruggedness of the gun, even though I could never get mine to run right when I built one years ago). However, the accuracy potential you give up wit the FAL (bad trigger, skinny flip-floppy barrel, tilting bolt, and loose tolerances) may offset the potential reliability gains, not to mention the fact that steel case ammo in FALs are a no-go, while ARs will typically eat that crap all day.

So, looking at these two or three options, which is going to be the obviously better choice, if any?

1. Which gun is more reliable - or rather, which is know to break down in classes or out in the field? It seems the Ruger got a slow start, but has figured out its problems.

2. Which gun has more proprietary parts? Granted, that's the name of the game with the piston systems, but what about the rest of the gun? I know Sig has that proprietary charging handle.

Or should I say "eff it," and go with the proven FAL?

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Either should do fine. I have a couple of Sig pistols that I really like and given the right price and the right specs would buy a Sig AR. That being said, I did the same thing in comparing the Sig 716 to the Ruger SR762. I ended up with the Ruger based on four criteria, the lighter weight of the Ruger, a nice factory carry bag, three Pmags, and I liked the factory front hand guard. The dislike was the sorry trigger, which was helped by polishing and eventually replaced by one of the new Ruger trigger/LPK kits that are now out. The accuracy is outstanding and is probably better than I can shoot. Reliability has not been an issue especially with the later serial numbers (56104500 and up s/n). As far as parts, I believe both will give you the same options as far as after market parts including a milspec buffer tube, standard LPK, SR25/DPMS mags, and 5/8x24 threaded barrel. The 7.62 BCM Gunfighter charging handle will fit the Ruger. Most of the other parts (upper/lower receiver, bolt assembly. forward handguard, etc) are proprietary. My advice would be to go and handle each, check the price, and buy the one that trips your trigger.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Ruger SR762, Sig 716 DMR, and Sig 716 3-Gun in the safe right now that belong to my dad.  All 3 have Geissele triggers and Surefire brakes.  They all shoot very well.  Personally I prefer the Ruger due to the lighter weight and lower cost.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top