Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 2:32:01 AM EDT
Im looking to start my first 308 build. I always went either PSA, RRA, or Aero Prec in 556. I would kinda like to stay close to that path. Can anyone suggest parts and from who to help with the build? Im wanting an 18-20" barrel at most. Standard stock for now. Maybe a HB or medium contour barrel and flat top receiver for a scope. Will regularly be 2-300yds, but would like the ability to put a higher power scope and go further. I may do some reloading at some point but mostly surplus or commercial will be used. Having a HB or medium contour, I don't think a free float will be needed. Appreciate any advice!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:43:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the AR Variants a few sub-threads down.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a Hogan Guns receiver set myself.  It has a built in ambidextrous bolt release.  Buying an Advantage Arms 22" fluted bbl for it and an AIM BCG.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with Ares Armor recievers. I also went with a Faxon Firearms 18" Heavy Fluted barrrl. Black SS mid-length gas
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm very happy with my cmmg setup
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Any receiver set will work as long as you keep it a set and get all proprietary parts from the same manufacturer. For the range and the fact you aren't thinking free float I see no need to go with an 18-20" barrel. A 16" will do just find and save you a bunch of weight on an already heavy platform. I would look at faxxon, rainier arms select, or black hole weaponry for a barrel. Brownells just released some nitrided cmv barrels that might be worth a look. Even a heavy profile 20" barrel will move if rested on drop in hand guard. If you think you might get into some long range precision work I would rethink that. My favorite reasonably priced lightweight ff is Midwest industries.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I just built this one on the Salt Works Rifles set.

" />

And this will be my next one.

" />
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#8]
There's really no reason not to go free-floated.

Start with a quality barrel that has a chamber that will be generous enough to handle gas operation, with the correct port diameter.

Match a quality bolt carrier group to it from a company that has been around for more than the latest ad season.

Choose a reputable receiver set with proven lower parts compatibility.  Things get dodgy when looking at LPK's for .308 AR's.

After all is said and done, you will probably have spent more than some of the complete rifle offerings from companies that have been building reliable guns for decades now, and the chances of the gun actually working off the bat are pretty slim.  After about 2-5 troubleshooting range trips, and several boxes of ammo, you might have a working gun, or one that is still not satisfactory for reliability expectations.  We see this regularly in the variants section.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

How are those salt work sets? They look awesome for the price.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top