Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2015 11:54:37 PM EDT
Does the gas tube have to seat all the way to the back of the gas key. If it is 1/8 short will it cause cycling problems. I bought a rainier select barrel .308 mid length and a rainier mid length gas tube (which on their website states that is 11 7/8, but really measures 11 3/4") and it is about 1/8" from being fully inserted into the gas key.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:14:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Take a picture of the inside of the upper receiver with the charge handle installed and fully forward and I'll tell you if you have enough gas tube protrusion.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#2]
It's fine.  You don't want the gas tube to bottom out into the carrier key as it might prevent the carrier from fully seating.

Question marks are your friend.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a picture of the inside of the upper receiver with the charge handle installed and fully forward and I'll tell you if you have enough gas tube protrusion.
View Quote

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/kmts1017/library/?view=recent&page=1

The shorter tube is a Rainier mid length tube...supposed to be 11 7/8 but actually measures 11 3/4.

The longer tube is a Windham Weaponry mid length and measures 12 1/16....the bcg will not seat with this tube.

I am using an Aero M5 upper with a Rainier 18" mid length.308  select barrel and a JP adjustable gas block.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's fine.  You don't want the gas tube to bottom out into the carrier key as it might prevent the carrier from fully seating.

Question marks are your friend.
View Quote

It seems very short. I added a picture.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sticks out as far as my Maten with rainer 20"match w/ rifle gas. Mine cycles just fine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sticks out as far as my Maten with rainer 20"match w/ rifle gas. Mine cycles just fine.
View Quote

Ok...thanks for your response. I will test it out and see how it works...I really don't have any other options.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:56:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps you require one of these. AR10 carbine gas tube is 3/16" or 1/4", can't recall specifically right now, longer than a standard AR15 mid tube.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:56:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Perhaps you require one of these. AR10 carbine gas tube is 3/16" or 1/4", can't recall specifically right now, longer than a standard AR15 mid tube.
View Quote

According to the armalite website, their carbine length gas tube is 12 1/16". That was the same measurement of the windham weaponry tube I posted. But the rainier website says their tube is 11 7/8 and it is really 11 3/4 so who the hell knows. I sent Rainier a facebook post stating that their website is wrong and they should really be building .308 gas tubes at 11 7/8 and 11 15/16. I don't get these companies.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

According to the armalite website, their carbine length gas tube is 12 1/16". That was the same measurement of the windham weaponry tube I posted. But the rainier website says their tube is 11 7/8 and it is really 11 3/4 so who the hell knows. I sent Rainier a facebook post stating that their website is wrong and they should really be building .308 gas tubes at 11 7/8 and 11 15/16. I don't get these companies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When dealing with big framed ARs you have to take in account that there is no standard like there is in the AR15 market.

There is only a few companies that actually make "308" gas tubes. Armalite makes theirs for their AR10s and Dpms designed their gun to use existing AR15 tubes.

Now as for companies listing gas tube lengths different than what's being sent out then that's another thing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#10]
What are Rainiers tolerances on the part?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know what their tolerances are. But I when I first questioned the disparity between what is listed and what it actual measures, they had to go measure one to find out the actual length.

This is a rainier mid barrel and a rainier mid tube...if they are going to make .308 barrels, maybe they should make .308 tubes...between 11 7/8 and 11 15/16...that will work in any DPMS style gun.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't know what their tolerances are. But I when I first questioned the disparity between what is listed and what it actual measures, they had to go measure one to find out the actual length.

This is a rainier mid barrel and a rainier mid tube...if they are going to make .308 barrels, maybe they should make .308 tubes...between 11 7/8 and 11 15/16...that will work in any DPMS style gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You either will use an Ar10 gas tube or a Dpms gas tube. Dpms uses the same tube as an Ar15.

Again there is no standard in the 308 market.

When you are building a Ar10 or LR308 you have to do your research. Certain manufacture's parts work awesome together while others don't.

As for your gas tube being .125"  short I doubt that it'll cause you problems. And just FYI a gas tube directly from Dpms for their 308s is 11 3/4".
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:34:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You either will use an Ar10 gas tube or a Dpms gas tube. Dpms uses the same tube as an Ar15.

When you are building a Ar10 or LR308 you have to do your research. Certain manufacture's parts work awesome together while others don't.

As for your gas tube being .125"  short I doubt that it'll cause you problems. And just FYI a gas tube directly from Dpms for their 308s is 11 3/4".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/16". It's .0625" different.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was talking about the difference between what Rainier had listed (11 7/8")and what the actual mesurement was (11 3/4").
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#15]
You should use the Armalite tube. Windham uses the same length for a reason. The standard is there, but people choose not to follow it.

Use Armalite pattern operating parts. Bcg, lower parts kit, gas tubes, buffer systems. Use SR25 mag. Boom. Standard. Deal is done, problems solved, everyone will have functioning, reliable, accurate rifles.

Oh, and SR25/Armalite/High DPMS rail.

Also, don't shop the bargain bin for 308 parts. Leave the clearance rack stuff alone. Don't trust ebay or Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You should use the Armalite tube. Windham uses the same length for a reason. The standard is there, but people choose not to follow it.

Use Armalite pattern operating parts. Bcg, lower parts kit, gas tubes, buffer systems. Use SR25 mag. Boom. Standard. Deal is done, problems solved, everyone will have functioning, reliable, accurate rifles.

Oh, and SR25/Armalite/High DPMS rail.

Also, don't shop the bargain bin for 308 parts. Leave the clearance rack stuff alone. Don't trust ebay or Amazon.
View Quote

Ok...so I can use an armalite bcg in an AERO Precision M5 upper with the 12 1/16 gas tube? Why would a 12 1/16 work with an Armalite bcg but not the radical bcg in dpms. Would the armalite bcg/gas tube require a different barrel?

I have tried to stick to good parts.
AERO M5 Upper/Lower combo
CMMG LPK 308
BCM Buffer tube Assembly
JP Silent Capture Spring
JP adjustable gas block
Rainier 18" Select Mid
CMC 3.5-4 trigger
Griffin Flash/Comp

I went with the Radical arm BCG because it was the only one available with in my price range...I was going to get AERO BCG or a Rainier BCG but they have both been sold out.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Haven't installed my barrel yet, but on my Aero M5 I bought an Armalite rifle length gas tube. Hope it works out.

My barrel will have rifle length gas.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#18]
just emailed aero last night and got this response. asking what length gas tube (for a Rifle length barrel).

"You simply need the rifle length gas tube, not the Armalite length."
Standard AR15 rifle length gas tubes should work on an dpms patterned
308 receiver with a rifle length barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top