Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2015 11:25:44 PM EDT
Is there a company that makes a left handed 300? I would like the whole upper assembly so I can just swap out uppers. I'm running a left handed stag 5.56 now. Or could I buy a left handed stag upper and simply put a 300 barrel on it or are the 300 uppers machine differently for that barrel? I'm fairly confident with 5.56 builds but am brand new to 300 blackouts.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Just grab a 300 barrel and put together an otherwise normal 223 upper and your gtg. I don't know that I've seen a lefty from a manufacturer but I'm guessing they upcharge.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#3]
So I looked at the link you posted and are those stainless steel barrels any good? Cause I was gonna build another 5.56 instead of buying another complete stag but it would have cost more being left handed.

So basically is, if I used one of those left handed uppers for a build, would it be decent for the price?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully someone else will know more about em. I can't vouch for those barrels. I always prefer building but that's just me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:02:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a 300 barrel arrive with a Stag barrel extention. Put it in a friends Stag upper. The extentions fron Stag go both ways.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I have built a couple of LH ARs including a 300blk pistol and have a little info for you. There are two types of lefty AR setups that I'm aware of.

Firstly, Stag has a completely mirrored BCG and bolt that rotates into the lugs clockwise. It is best to have an ambi barrel extension, although not entirely necessary. Keystone also manufactures an upper set up like this that uses Stag BCGs. The Stag BCG is made up of entirely LH parts.

Secondly there is a DPMS set up that uses a LH bolt that works with a standard BCG and rotates into the lugs like a regular AR, it has mirrored only the bolt face with extractor and ejector switched and simply ejects out the left side of the weapon. This is the setup that RedX builds too I believe.

These two systems are not interchangeable with the other.

I prefer the second set up myself. It uses more standard parts that will be easier to fix and replace than the Stag set up. It was also going to be a real pain in the ass to have a stag barrel extension fitted to barrel. At the time Stag didn't sell pistol barrels to the public. I ignored the ambi extension and ran 5.56 through a standard extension on a DD barrel and it worked fine. They say it will wear out the bolt more quickly but I haven't seen it.

The only drawback that I have found with the DPMS type bolt married to a standard BCG is that the firing pin retaining pin is open to the elements, Under heavy use it has backed out until it contacted the upper causing the gun to jam. Not a big deal at all and was easily remedied. In a righty gun the pin is on the opposite or inside of the BCG than the ejection port so it can't walk out.

My current lefty-fav is a slick sided 300blk pistol with the DPMS set up. She's a real sweet shooter.  You'll have fun either way. Life's too short for lefties to run righty guns.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Stag is good to go.  RedX's uppers seem good as well.

The REAL thing to think about is that the ONLY difference between a 5.56mm upper and a 300 Blackout upper is the barrel and gas system.  You can go with any left-hand upper hardware with confidence.  Stag pretty much pioneered the left-hand AR, so I'd lean toward going with Stag myself.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top