Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2015 9:20:59 PM EDT
I am having problems with my p mags with 300 blackout.  When I load them the bullet seams to sit nose down alittle and causes feed problems.  I have 4 mags and all do this.  Some times they seam fine and feed well. I can shoot one or two mags and then the feed problems start.  Some times it starts right away?  I have taken mags apart and checked springs.  Put .223 in it and worked fine.  

Is there a secrete to loading 300 blackout into a mag?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#1]
ammo?  I have never had any trouble out of either of my .300s, and I only use pmags with them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Pmags are GTG.........Im not a big fan of them.........I have two 300 Blackouts and prefer Lancer........or D&H
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Reloads or factory?  And when loading; your pushing them to the rear of the magazine?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Mostly on reloads.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Pmags have always been  good for me.. my only problem have been with lancer (most people dont)

Yes i would also wonder if it happens with different ammo. .. If they are with the reload ammo is if the OAL is reduced i would wonder if that would help.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:01:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mostly on reloads.
View Quote

What's the load?  There ate some good FAQS out theternal for seating depth.  Key is to have the bullet deep enough to where the diameter is the same as the .223 case at the "nub" in the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Never any problems here. Hopefully you have a go-no go gauge. Tagged for solution.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#8]
If you use certain ogive projectiles loaded long, the ogives will drag on the guide ribs of the mags, and cause nose-down binding, even with anti-tilt followers.

Seat your projectiles a little deeper and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you use certain ogive projectiles loaded long, the ogives will drag on the guide ribs of the mags, and cause nose-down binding, even with anti-tilt followers.

View Quote

This.

You can also take an empty shell (open end) put it over the point of the bullet and make a grove in the bullet head.  Now seat the bullet so "that grove" lines up with the guide on the inside of the pmag.  That's a good way to find OAL.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am having problems with my p mags with 300 blackout.  When I load them the bullet seams to sit nose down alittle and causes feed problems.  I have 4 mags and all do this.  Some times they seam fine and feed well. I can shoot one or two mags and then the feed problems start.  Some times it starts right away?  I have taken mags apart and checked springs.  Put .223 in it and worked fine.  

Is there a secrete to loading 300 blackout into a mag?

Thanks in advance
View Quote

I had the same problem using PMAG gen 1 & gen 2 with Remington 220gr.

I bought an order of the Lance AWM and visually, the ammo seems to load with the tip a bit higher.

FWIW, I use a LULA.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#11]
The issue is that 5.56 mags were made with a forward guide rib that is designed to locate and control a stack of 5.56 cartridges.

The critical dimension that the forward guide rib is meant to locate off of is based on a .253" neck diameter for 5.56x45.

If you seat a .308 projectile in 300 Whisper/BLK out too far, you now push into that guide rib with enough resistance to make things go whacky on you.  This is one reason why the Barnes VOR-TX has such a secant ogive.  Not only does it help with external ballistics, but it helps with being able to seat out long, and get good charge weight behind it for supersonic.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had the same problem.  Switched to Lancers for 300blk and didn't have the problem anymore.

In my experience, this problem is more pronounced with 300blk subs wit ha larger projectile.  Supers never really gave me a problem.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Or you could switch to C Products mags, like I did there are no ribs to worry about (AND you have your 300blk ammo in identifiable mags should you have both a 5.56 and 300blk rifle at the range at the same time)
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Haven't shot any 300 BLK from my p-mags . Loaded a few with 110 V-Max and 147 M80's and used the .250 mark on the bullets lined up with magazine humps and also the recommended length by others. In all my Gen2 magazines the rounds on the right side are loose and not under spring tension. Rounds on the left are snug but the ones on the right side of at least 6 Gen2 mags will slide forward and back and are loose. Didn't even want to test them but I've had no issues in aluminum mags with different manufacturers. Can't  understand how rounds on the right are loose.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:25:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I had heard the P mags need to be filed so I only use the old style aluminum mags, never had any problems.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I use 20 round mags on my pistol.  Went to day to shoot a 100 rounds.  Loaded 20  the 1st 15 shoot great as fast as i can pull the trigger.  The last 4 or 5  will not feed.  even if I pull out the mag and take the 4 or 5 out and put back in.  the nose of the ammo has a slight down ward slant to it.[

URL=http://s270.photobucket.com/user/chopperbobby/media/IMG_0469_zpsskybpks5.jpg.html][/URL]

This happens with both of my 20 round mags?  I have two 20 round lancers on the way and will try them.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top