Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2015 4:57:27 PM EDT
Just put a GII Light Hunter on layaway at Bud's. I need a steel gas block to mount a Troy flip up on the barrel. I'd also like to add a sling swivel as well.

This is the rear sight I want:https://troyind.com/products/dioptic-folding-sight-tritium-blk

This is the front sight I want: https://troyind.com/products/gasblock-hk-sight-tritium-blk

So I'd like to get a steel gas block that will allow me to mount the front sight and a sling and have the front sight be on the same plane as the rear sight.

Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
No one?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out yankee hill machine. I believe they have what you seek. You could even go with their flip up sight gas block and cut out the middle man. I have one on an AR15 and it's as sturdy as a Troy flip ups.

BTW That front sight you linked is not a same plane sight, it's for a gas block rail that sits lower than the reciever
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out yankee hill machine. I believe they have what you seek. You could even go with their flip up sight gas block and cut out the middle man. I have one on an AR15 and it's as sturdy as a Troy flip ups.

BTW That front sight you linked is not a same plane sight, it's for a gas block rail that sits lower than the reciever
View Quote

Thank you!

I looked at YHM, not sure they have what I need, but they do have some nice looking stuff, I've used it before.

They have a "same plane" version of that front sight, I probably just clicked on the wrong one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:20:10 AM EDT
[#4]
You might ask SLR, they seem to be wiling to make what people want in many cases, perhaps your desire is one they could accommodate.

Personally I think something along the lines of the upper portion of Magpul's BUIS (being plastic and light) integrated into an adjustable low-profile set screw gas block would be a good option. Keep the weight down, adjustable for those who want to mess with the gas settings, and integral "iron" sights that don't require a handguard with a rail section.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]

They have a "same plane" version of that front sight, I probably just clicked on the wrong one.
View Quote

Just makin sure you realized that so you didn't order the wrong one. And lookin at the hunter model i can't tell what the gas port profile is. I'm thinking it .750 but I don't see any specs. I would get it in hand and measure it before ordering anything given the proprietary nature of the GII. You might wanna give DPMS a call, they might have some options for you as well. Good thing it doesn't have a muzzle device on it because I've been hearing that DPMS puts them on with Thor's hammer and are a pita to remove.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I would not use the Troy front sight with QD swivel attachments, since that will place stress on the barrel.

The G2 is meant to have the same rail height as an AR15, and the Hunters use .750" gas block journals.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Once I explained what I wanted to the guy from Troy, he told me most of what I needed to know. It looks like I can use a JP JPGS-2B if I don't want to mount a sling swivel to the gas block. Alternatively, YHM has their YHM-9390A which has a top and bottom rail. I do want to put a sling on it, and I want to keep the carbon fiber tube style handguard. So I have to come up with some sort of solution there. I do hope that DPMS or a top quality aftermarket company will be making barrels, uppers, and other parts for this rifle.

Unfortunately, I have not heard back from DPMS about my inquiry.

Thanks to everyone who replied with help, answers and suggestions. I'm looking forward to getting this thing out. I want to get all the parts here when or before the rifle gets here. I want to take a buddy who had a bad injury out shooting, as soon as I get it, it will be good medicine for him. He's been riding me about there not being a rifle in that tactical case we bought last time we went to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I do want to put a sling on it, and I want to keep the carbon fiber tube style handguard. So I have to come up with some sort of solution there
View Quote

Requires some drilling and two part epoxy but here's my solution
" />
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Put the Magpul M-LOK QD socket on the handguard.  I just did it to another carbon fiber handguard, and it's excellent.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:43:14 AM EDT
[#10]
From my experience with carbon fiber spars on sailboats I would never recommend drilling a hole in load bearing carbon fiber. It was always a huge no no to drill any types of holes, even one that wouldn't put any extra load on the spar (I have seen masts come down from such holes). If there was a hole it was built into the design and properly reinforced. It might look good or work for light duty use but you are destroying the structural integrity of it, especially of a cylinder. Not only is the handgaurd designed to take the load of you holding it or rested under recoil. But you are applying additional force of the sling. I know people think it is way stronger than steal by weight, but the strength is in the interlocking of carbon strands(weave), and not just in it's elemental properties. You are asking for a crack that will start at the hole. That being said I hope it works out for y'all that have done it, I just want others to think about the possible drawbacks. I also realize the downfall of pulling on the gas block with the sling. I'm sure people have been attaching bipod to these things in similar ways, I would look into that to see if there has been any issues.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The G2 hand guard is thick and strong. I don't think you will have any problems with what you have done
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From my experience with carbon fiber spars on sailboats I would never recommend drilling a hole in load bearing carbon fiber. It was always a huge no no to drill any types of holes, even one that wouldn't put any extra load on the spar (I have seen masts come down from such holes). If there was a hole it was built into the design and properly reinforced. It might look good or work for light duty use but you are destroying the structural integrity of it, especially of a cylinder. Not only is the handgaurd designed to take the load of you holding it or rested under recoil. But you are applying additional force of the sling. I know people think it is way stronger than steal by weight, but the strength is in the interlocking of carbon strands(weave), and not just in it's elemental properties. You are asking for a crack that will start at the hole. That being said I hope it works out for y'all that have done it, I just want others to think about the possible drawbacks. I also realize the downfall of pulling on the gas block with the sling. I'm sure people have been attaching bipod to these things in similar ways, I would look into that to see if there has been any issues.
View Quote

Those are actually very valid points.  I used the existing holes in a PRI handguard for the bolts to go through, which thread into flat nuts on the inside, which distribute force over a wide area.

The hole was drilled only for clearing the QD shaft.  On something like a sail mast, where we're talking thousands of pounds of load on several axes, I can see how drilling holes that were never part of the design considerations would cause some serious problems with the structural integrity.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think I'll put enough load on the carbon fiber tube to hurt it with the only load on it being the weight of the rifle on the sling. I'm not going to add much weight to the rifle.

I may go with that MagPul sling mount. I was also looking at putting a JPI heat dissipator on it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I picked my rifle (GII Lite Hunter)up today, noticed the carbon fiber hand guard has a sling swivel mounted on it, and the MOE stock is fitted for a sling.  The plan is to stick an optic on it this weekend, time and weather permitting, and check it for function and reliability, probably won't have time to do a real accuracy test, or the room, probably 50 yards at best. I'll post results as soon as I have something worth posting.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#15]
All of my Magpul stuff is finally here. For the front sling mount, I simply removed the OE sling mount, and used a 10-32 machine screw to mount a Magpul QDS ambidextrous swivel mount in its place. So I now have the QDS MS4 sling and ambidextrous swivel mounts for it at the front and rear of the MOE stock and a single swivel  mount at the front of the carbon fiber hand-guard.

I think I could have used the sides of my Troy front sight, but I don't like mounting anything to the barrel, especially since DPMS went to the trouble of floating it.

I'm real happy with my GII Lite Hunter, so happy in fact that I'm seriously considering a Compact Hunter if I can find one. It should fit real nice on the other side of my case. I can use the Lite Hunter for a long range style battle rifle and the Compact Hunter as a CQB style rifle. I've learned a lot from this rifle already, and most are good things.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top