Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/30/2015 3:34:50 AM EDT
Has anybody tried a Faxon barrel yet for their build?  

http://www.recoilgunworks.com/faxon-firearms-medium-taper-nitride-ar10-barrel-p-28677.html

They look pretty good for the money.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anybody tried a Faxon barrel yet for their build?  

http://www.recoilgunworks.com/faxon-firearms-medium-taper-nitride-ar10-barrel-p-28677.html

They look pretty good for the money.
View Quote

We have a wonderful thread going in the barrel section with third-party testing results.

Here's our warranty: You don't like the barrel, we fix it or make you right; Its that simple.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Oops! Dupe. Please delete.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, can't beat the warranty and the reviews are good so I ordered the 18" medium weight for my .308.

Thanks Nathan!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats the link to the thread in the barrel section?  Hell I can't even find the barrel section
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Here you go Hootch. I will be using Faxon on my 1st .308 build.

Faxon Barrel thread with Range Results
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Your first? We are honored!

Make sure you get a DPMS-style bolt and check head-spacing. We make sure all our barrels are to nominal, but we have seen more variation in bolt co-bore depths in .308 than in 5.56.

Brownells had a smoking deal on a combo GO & NO-GO Gauges last week. Not sure if they are still available....
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Nathan,

Yes Sir. I will be starting my 1st .308 project. I will be using Faxon Barrels. I still have not made up my mind which one yet!   I am VERY intrigued with your barrels. From what I've seen and read its a No Brainer.

I will be building an Ares Armor DPMS style 80% Billet lower and matching billet upper.

As soon as I get a few more Ducks in a Row I will be pulling the trigger on this build.

Thanks for replying!

PasoGunner
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Make sure you get a DPMS-style bolt and check head-spacing. We make sure all our barrels are to nominal, but we have seen more variation in bolt co-bore depths in .308 than in 5.56.

Brownells had a smoking deal on a combo GO & NO-GO Gauges last week. Not sure if they are still available....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one in 18".  I had a burr in the throat of mine when I first received it, my buddy Jeff and I both bought one from the guy selling them in the EE.  I removed the burr with a flexhone and honestly after that this barrel is amazing.  I only shoot handloads in 308 and this barrel shot 3/4" groups or better with my 165 SST's all day.  Excellent all around.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have one in 18".  I had a burr in the throat of mine when I first received it, my buddy Jeff and I both bought one from the guy selling them in the EE.  I removed the burr with a flexhone and honestly after that this barrel is amazing.  I only shoot handloads in 308 and this barrel shot 3/4" groups or better with my 165 SST's all day.  Excellent all around.
View Quote

Yikes! That is not acceptable to us and I will go down to the floor and make sure our Quality checks are catching that.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention! We love customers who are willing to communicate back with us.

Every bit of feedback makes us better.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I talked to someone from Faxon on Facebook the day of the install due to it scratching the case necks real bad, sent them pics and everything.  They asked for my email and I gave it to them, said someone would be getting ahold of me on Monday.  Never heard back from them so I ordered a 308 flex hone from Brush Research and took care of the issue myself.  Woulda been nice to have been contacted back about it though lol.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I talked to someone from Faxon on Facebook the day of the install due to it scratching the case necks real bad, sent them pics and everything.  They asked for my email and I gave it to them, said someone would be getting ahold of me on Monday.  Never heard back from them so I ordered a 308 flex hone from Brush Research and took care of the issue myself.  Woulda been nice to have been contacted back about it though lol.
View Quote

Certainly not our proudest moment... Sorry for missing the note!

You can reach me direct on here and we'll make sure no wires get crossed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I received my 18" .308 barrel yesterday.  Very nice looking barrel.  It took quite a bit of scrubbing to get the bore cleaned.  A nice snug fit in my Aero Precision upper.  I should be able to get the gun together in the next few days with pics and range report to follow.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey Nathan, I'm going to be getting a FAXON .308 barrel for my build as well.  I was wondering if your guy's barrels can shoot 7.62 NATO as well?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I received my 18" .308 barrel yesterday.  Very nice looking barrel.  It took quite a bit of scrubbing to get the bore cleaned.  A nice snug fit in my Aero Precision upper.  I should be able to get the gun together in the next few days with pics and range report to follow.
View Quote

QPQ is a pain in the ass!

We opt to get them "field clean" (we pass patches and a brush down each barrel) otherwise the price goes up for labor.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey Nathan, I'm going to be getting a FAXON .308 barrel for my build as well.  I was wondering if your guy's barrels can shoot 7.62 NATO as well?
View Quote

Easy!

The relationship between .308 and 7.62 NATO is revered from .223  & 5.56 NATO; .308 is the higher-power cartridge. Shoot and enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Any thoughts on a 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^^^ This
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

^^^^^ This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^^ This

Production was green-lit last week. ETA 5-6 weeks for completed barrels and shipping to dealers and customers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:49:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I got my rifle together a couple of days ago.  A couple things I noticed with the Faxon barrel.  
I chambered a few rounds and noted a lot of scratches on the case neck.  More scrubbing of the bore and chamber seemed to take care of it.  
I also noticed the threads were not concentric to the bore at the muzzle.  Off just a little.  I have an A2 flash suppressor on the gun so not really an issue but it could be with a muzzle brake.

I've had two outings with the gun.  Accuracy seems promising but I was mostly working on sorting out functioning issues.  Turns out I had a weak extractor spring on my new BCG.  I put an Armalite spring with o-ring under the extractor and it now runs fine.

I like the barrel profile and weight.  If it's a good shooter I would likely buy another.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I have their fluted 18", looks good so far,  fit was good into upper receiver(mega maten), waiting on my midwest handguard to put it all together. Had a couple questions and left a voicemail, received a call back swiftly, shipping was fair and they got it out quickly. Looking forward to getting it all together.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I also noticed the threads were not concentric to the bore at the muzzle.  Off just a little.  I have an A2 flash suppressor on the gun so not really an issue but it could be with a muzzle brake.

View Quote

Can you send me an e-mail on the muzzle threads? We test each one prior to leaving the factory to be well within suppressor specifications, so we are curious to see what you have.

How did you determine they were not concentric? What gauging was used?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have their fluted 18", looks good so far,  fit was good into upper receiver(mega maten), waiting on my midwest handguard to put it all together. Had a couple questions and left a voicemail, received a call back swiftly, shipping was fair and they got it out quickly. Looking forward to getting it all together.

http://i61.tinypic.com/303jk8i.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2hdd06u.jpg
View Quote

Ooooooo. That's going to look good with the Mega upper.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Im digging it, always been a sucker for fluting

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:41:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Here are a few pics of the assembled rifle.  Nathan, the flash suppressor does not look concentric visually.  I've looked at it pretty carefully several times.  I guess it could be an optical delusion.

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#25]
CB is that the pencil contour 18" or the fluted one?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Im digging it, always been a sucker for fluting

http://i57.tinypic.com/25jb4mg.jpg
View Quote

He's not the only one. I just shared the photos throughout the company.

Compliments are rolling in!
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here are a few pics of the assembled rifle.  Nathan, the flash suppressor does not look concentric visually.  I've looked at it pretty carefully several times.  I guess it could be an optical delusion.

View Quote

Could be. Those A2 flash hiders are not typically held to tight tolerances when machined (they dont have to be).

If you ever run into an issue, know we are here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Any suggested break in for the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#29]
It's the medium taper 18" barrel with mid length gas system.  I used Aero Precision receivers.  Weigh of the gun with back-up sights and empty mag is 8lb 5.5oz.  I think that is a very reasonable weight for the gun.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:48:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks Nathan.  I have no doubt you will take care of it if I have any problems.  I'm getting to be a wuss in my old age.  I may put a PWS FSC 30 muzzle brake on the gun to tame it a little.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Quoted:

Could be. Those A2 flash hiders are not typically held to tight tolerances when machined (they dont have to be).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Any suggested break in for the barrel?
View Quote

Just posted up on the "main" thread.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's the medium taper 18" barrel with mid length gas system.  I used Aero Precision receivers.  Weigh of the gun with back-up sights and empty mag is 8lb 5.5oz.  I think that is a very reasonable weight for the gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks I am using almost all the same parts. 8lbs 5oz would be nice since my last 308 AR was 13lbs...
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Waiting on the 16"s But wanted to know how well does these barrels shoot 168gr factory ammo?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, I went out and worked with mine (18" medium weight barrel) a little yesterday.  I used my go-to accuracy load of Nosler 168gr match bullets in front of a moderate charge of Varget powder.  The load is one I came up with years ago to approximate Federal Gold Medal Match.  It was not my best day but I still pulled off a few sub 1" groups.  

Quoted:
Waiting on the 16"s But wanted to know how well does these barrels shoot 168gr factory ammo?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well, I went out and worked with mine (18" medium weight barrel) a little yesterday.  I used my go-to accuracy load of Nosler 168gr match bullets in front of a moderate charge of Varget powder.  The load is one I came up with years ago to approximate Federal Gold Medal Match.  It was not my best day but I still pulled off a few sub 1" groups.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its frickin cold here in Cincy. If you pulled off sub MOA in this weather, my props to you sir.

We'd be shaking so much, we'd be lucky for Minute of Barn!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Nathan or anyone else's comments or suggestions are welcome.

Ok here is where I'm at. I just ordered the Ares Armor Signature 80% .308 DPMS Style lower and Jig. Both were on sale!

I know I want to go with a Faxon 18" barrel. I do not plan to shoot 1000yards (maybe??)  but I  do want the most accurate barrel. Should I go with the SS Heavy Fluted or the 4150 Medium Taper Barrel.

Weight is not that big of an issue. Also what are opinions on the Faxon Low Profile gas block? Does Faxon dimple the barrel for the set screws? Is dimpling absolutely necessary? Is the gas block GTG?

Anything I've missed on barrel questions? I have not made my decisions on the upper, or LPK or stocks and such. Taking it slow!

Thanks to everyone,
PasoGunner
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nathan or anyone else's comments or suggestions are welcome.

Ok here is where I'm at. I just ordered the Ares Armor Signature 80% .308 DPMS Style lower and Jig. Both were on sale!

I know I want to go with a Faxon 18" barrel. I do not plan to shoot 1000yards (maybe??)  but I  do want the most accurate barrel. Should I go with the SS Heavy Fluted or the 4150 Medium Taper Barrel.

Weight is not that big of an issue. Also what are opinions on the Faxon Low Profile gas block? Does Faxon dimple the barrel for the set screws? Is dimpling absolutely necessary? Is the gas block GTG?

Anything I've missed on barrel questions? I have not made my decisions on the upper, or LPK or stocks and such. Taking it slow!

Thanks to everyone,
PasoGunner
View Quote

If weight is not an issue, go for the thicker profile. The SS fluted would fit the bill nicely.

No, we do not not dimple. As there is not a standard pattern for blocks in the industry, what may work for one, will offset another.

Quite frankly, its not needed. Most blocks (including our own) use cupped screws. When torqued appropriately, they will "bite" into the steel and combined with a bit of red loc-tite or rock-set, its a permanent install.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Nathan,

Thanks for the info. Is it best to buy directly from Faxon or can I order from say AIM so I can add other build parts?

Thanks again.
PasoGunner

Also what is the time frame for barrel with the gas block installed and delivered?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nathan,

Thanks for the info. Is it best to buy directly from Faxon or can I order from say AIM so I can add other build parts?

Thanks again.
PasoGunner

Also what is the time frame for barrel with the gas block installed and delivered?
View Quote

Please order from any of our dealers. We support them as we would anyone who orders direct.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Nathan
How long before we see a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey Nathan, do your .308 barrels take standard length ar15 gas tubes?  If not what should I order?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Well I just ordered the Faxon 18" SS heavy fluted barrel for my 1st. .308 build! I think it's gonna be awesome.

Now I just gotta figure out buttstock, buffer and spring, and hand guard.

Thanks Nathan for the info and help. I sure wish your low profile gas block was in stock.

Do I get some Faxon Swag? 1st. Time customer and all!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nathan
View Quote

Probably two months or so.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hey Nathan, do your .308 barrels take standard length ar15 gas tubes?  If not what should I order?  Thanks!
View Quote

Yes. Our gas port lengths are standard for the AR and .308 platforms.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well I just ordered the Faxon 18" SS heavy fluted barrel for my 1st. .308 build! I think it's gonna be awesome.

Now I just gotta figure out buttstock, buffer and spring, and hand guard.

Thanks Nathan for the info and help. I sure wish your low profile gas block was in stock.

Do I get some Faxon Swag? 1st. Time customer and all!!
View Quote

If you ordered the beanie, you would have!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#47]
How does your barrel compare to the Mega Arms 18" .308 barrel (with nitride finish)?  I'm concerned about accuracy and longevity.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#48]
If I remember to take pictures this weekend on my first range trip with the Faxon barrel I'll post them here.

My goal was for a lighter weight 308. The 18" Faxon barrel is lighter than the Rainer Arms 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nathan

Awesome!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Nathan,

Been following this thread closely, but I have a quick question for you. Is there a plan to produce a 20" .308 heavy fluted or a bull fluted with a 5/8-24 thread like your 18" heavy fluted? Also, if that is a yes, is there or will there be an option to produce it in a polished 416R? If you plan on doing neither, is there a reason why you went to a mid gas vs. a rifle length? I'm just curious.

I want to pull the trigger on the 18" but I won't do it if I know there will be a 20". Appreciate any answer. Thanks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top