Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 1:56:24 PM EDT
So things are getting interesting in the world of 7.62X39mm AR15s.

You have the CMMG Mk47 "Mutant"

The RRA LAR-47

The Mk47 looks like it would be more likely to accept AK drum mags, which is cool, but apparently their charging handle is proprietary

I think I might prefer the mag release of the LAR-47, but I would have to handle both weapons to be sure.

The LAR-47 features a "16 inch Chrome Lined HBAR" barrel.
The Mk47 features a "16.1" Medium Taper Profile 4140 SBN .311 Groove Diameter, 6 Groove Rifling" barrel.

I definitely like the trigger guard on the Mk47 better, but it is obvious why RRA had the use the trigger guard shape that they went with.

I know that I will buy from which ever company is the first to produce a stripped lower, or a pistol configuration.
I have no need for a 16" rifle in this flavor.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Bugger!!! Now watch the price of 7.62x39 ammunition go through the roof..
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Make one that'll reliably cycle lacquered steel-case over the long term and I'm in.

I don't see how either of these could do that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd love to have one of those factory rifles that take AK mags...BUT,  I'm left-handed, so until there are ambi charging handles for them, I'm staying with my home-built AR-47 that uses more standard AR-15 kit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Local FFL had one of the RRA rifles in stock awhile back for $1200 but I never got a chance to check it out. One thing I didn't like is that the magazine latch is weird and inside the trigger guard.

The mutants larger ar10 style bolt should add some longevity to the setup.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make one that'll reliably cycle lacquered steel-case over the long term and I'm in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why?

Quoted:
I'd love to have one of those factory rifles that take AK mags...BUT,  I'm left-handed, so until there are ambi charging handles for them, I'm staying with my home-built AR-47 that uses more standard AR-15 kit.

Are you sure the LAR-47 doesn't accept ambi charging handles such as the raptor?
I know the Mk47 uses a proprietary charging handle, but I haven't heard anything about the LAR using a proprietary charging handle.

Would you care to talk about your own home build, and why you feel it is a better option than these two offerings by comparison?

Quoted:
Local FFL had one of the RRA rifles in stock awhile back for $1200 but I never got a chance to check it out. One thing I didn't like is that the magazine latch is weird and inside the trigger guard.

The mutants larger ar10 style bolt should add some longevity to the setup.

I haven't handled the ALR either, but I kinda thought having the mag release inside the trigger guard would make it a little more similar to AR operation than what CMMG did with the Mk47.
Their solution is just fine if you are used to running AKs, but I am not.

Let me know if you get a chance to play with one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#7]

WOW!

It always amazes me what can be found beneath the piles of GD threads.

THANKS FOR THE LINK!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Because both the Mk47 and AR-47 have AR chambers with tolerances designed for an AR.

Steel-cased is fine for plinking in an AR chamber but if you run it long, hard and get it hot, let it cool off and repeat, it’s eventually going to choke.

Steel-cased doesn’t fully expand in an AR chamber (whereas brass does).  That clearance lets more fouling contact and collect on the chamber walls than with brass.  No problem while it’s hot.  Once it cools, it hardens.  That's when you start getting stuck cases, FTEs.  Run it hot enough and, to a lesser extent, you get lacquer (or poly) residue collecting too.  

You can run steel-cased all day in AKs, hot, cold whatever.  That durability comes with its own set of limitations but consistently eating steel-cased ammo isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you sure the LAR-47 doesn't accept ambi charging handles such as the raptor?
I know the Mk47 uses a proprietary charging handle, but I haven't heard anything about the LAR using a proprietary charging handle.

Would you care to talk about your own home build, and why you feel it is a better option than these two offerings by comparison?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine is a fairly basic upper build that I drop onto an existing lower (for now), Tactical Ambush barrel, bolt, and adjustable gas block...using ASC 20 round steel mags...and as posted, I'm left-handed, so an ambi charging handle and ambi safety selector are required. I prefer to also have a functional last-shot hold-open with a bolt release.

I don't really know for sure if the LAR-47 uses a standard or proprietary charging handle as I have not found any really in-depth reviews, just 1-3 minute quickies, though I have seen a couple that show issues with standard AK steel mags and AK P-mags.

The CMMG would be great if it had a functional bolt catch since AK mags can be upgraded with new followers for last-shot hold-open.

As long as I can get functional mags and maintain standard AR ergos, I don't really mind not using AK mags.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because both the Mk47 and AR-47 have AR chambers with tolerances designed for an AR.

Steel-cased is fine for plinking in an AR chamber but if you run it long, hard and get it hot, let it cool off and repeat, it’s eventually going to choke.

Steel-cased doesn’t fully expand in an AR chamber (whereas brass does).  That clearance lets more fouling contact and collect on the chamber walls than with brass.  No problem while it’s hot.  Once it cools, it hardens.  That's when you start getting stuck cases, FTEs.  Run it hot enough and, to a lesser extent, you get lacquer (or poly) residue collecting too.  

You can run steel-cased all day in AKs, hot, cold whatever.  That durability comes with its own set of limitations but consistently eating steel-cased ammo isn't one of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

I have not had a single issue with ammo yet, mine eats anything I feed it, and shoots accurately too.  I went almost 2k rounds over a few weeks without cleaning it, until just recently, specifically to try to foul it...didn't happen.

I imagine that it could get fouled up, but it would take a LOT of rounds without cleaning to do so.

It may not be as tough as an AK, but its as good or better than many other ARs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Where do people come up with this stuff??
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:24:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

.... both the Mk47 and AR-47 have AR chambers with tolerances designed for an AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

.... both the Mk47 and AR-47 have AR chambers with tolerances designed for an AR.

Please elaborate.
I thought their chambers were designed for 7.62X39mm "AK" ammo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:32:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

WOW!

THANKS FOR THE LINK!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

WOW!

THANKS FOR THE LINK!

Quite welcome.  I hope to own 7 of those mags, and a lightweight 7.62x39mm upper in the future.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:21:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have not had a single issue with ammo yet, mine eats anything I feed it, and shoots accurately too.  I went almost 2k rounds over a few weeks without cleaning it, until just recently, specifically to try to foul it...didn't happen.

I imagine that it could get fouled up, but it would take a LOT of rounds without cleaning to do so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Additional build up from steel-cased is pretty common but that alone doesn’t always equal malfs.  Some ARs have very few troubles with it and some have malfs early on.  

I'm not rooting for the Mutant to hiccup.  Maybe it’ll run long-term as well as (or close to) an AK.  Time will tell, I’ll check on it down the road.  As I said earlier, I just haven’t seen an AR do that yet when pushed hard over time.   Glad yours is running strong.  

Quoted:
Please elaborate.
I thought their chambers were designed for 7.62X39mm "AK" ammo.

Yes both chambers are cut for 7.62 Russian.  But the bolt and chamber still lock up like a traditional 7 lug + extractor AR, which was designed to chamber and extract brass.  

MK47’s BCG is enhanced to overcome issues of the traditional smaller, thinner walled 7.62 x 39 AR bolt.  I suppose time will tell if that equates to an AK’s 2 oversized lugs + massive extractor.  Can't say much about the LAR-47, haven't seen much about its specs besides being a DI AR.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#15]
The mutant from my testing no matter what seems to be the most reliable.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I own both Sig & Rock River rifles but the design of the Mutant is the most interesting of the bunch. Already have a great 7.62x39 upper that runs just fine so I won't be buying any of these anytime soon, but I'm still gonna watch to see how RRA & CMMG perform in the real world. All of these rifles are priced competitively with high end AKs so i think there's a demand for these.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked up a 556R (gen 2).  It's not perfect but IMO it came closest to combining AK (piston, AK bolt) and AR (better optics, ergos and safety).

M+M M10X looks to be worth watching too.  Strong features (mono upper, piston, FF barrel, ambi charging handle and safety).  I want to see more about the internals.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/158101_Interesting_AK_based_rifle_coming_from_MandM.html
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#19]
The modified  (shortened) .308 bolt and correspondingly beefier barrel extension in the Mk47 practically guarantee durability and reliability. It requires a proprietary charging handle because the receivers are slightly longer than the true AR. No true AR modified for 7.62X39, even the ones that take AK mags, can compete with the Mk47 because of the heavy-duty bolt and carrier. Shooters are finding the Mk47 to be an extremely smooth shooter because of the much greater mass of the bolt and carrier. I expect this is the end of the road for ARs converted to 7.62X39 using the 5.56 bolt. I'm not buying a Mk47 at this time only because I just bought a SIG 556R (7.62X39) last year, but I'd say there is probably going to be a trade in my future. I like the SIG, and it combines AR and AK traits too, but the heavy gas piston over 12" of the barrel makes it uncommonly front-heavy. But because the recoil spring is on the gas piston, there is no rear buffer tube, allowing a folding stock, which it has. So there are trade-offs every way you go, but it comes down to what suits you. I have come to realize that the AR suits me better than the AK or SIG-style rifles. They feel better to me and I shoot better with them. So, I'm now just waiting for the opportunity to pick up a Mk47 at the show and see how it feels. I'll tell you a quick test I've made before when shopping for rifles; Seeing an AR/AK/SIG 16" type on the table, I'll pick it up by the pistol grip only - thereby hangs the tale. The front-heavy rifles make this difficult, while generally the D.I. ARs and regular AKs are very much easier. I remember doing this with a SIG and noticing how heavy it was in the front - and ten years later I bought one anyway. We'll see how long it stays here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Some thing is missing on both. What are the price range on these? Didn't have time to watch the vid 100% to the end.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#22]
The M&M M10X looks pretty nice. If it works it will be knocking out Sigs market share a good bit. I certainly hope this is the case as I would prefer the M&M M10X to the Cmmg MK47.  I hope they sell upopers alone eventually, i would love a 12" SBR M10X
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top