Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 82
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Can someone who has a m5e1 m-lock hand guard measure the width in the middle area of the hand guard?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:22:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Indeed I was. Thanks for the correction.
View Quote
Hope my reply didnt come across harsh, just making sure the guy got his question answered for his build.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can someone who has a m5e1 m-lock hand guard measure the width in the middle area of the hand guard?
View Quote
I found 1.72 rail from the barrel nut forward on the enhanced version on aero's site.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#4]
1.72 is the i.d.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
You want the outside diameter?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, please. I'm debating between using regular M5 receiver sets with the 12" DD 7.62 lite rail that I already have versus a M5E1 set with the m lock handguard.  The lite rail is 2.25" wide and feels a little fat, but if the m lock isn't much narrower, I  will just stay with the quad rail.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, please. I'm debating between using regular M5 receiver sets with the 12" DD 7.62 lite rail that I already have versus a M5E1 set with the m lock handguard.  The lite rail is 2.25" wide and feels a little fat, but if the m lock isn't much narrower, I  will just stay with the quad rail.
View Quote
1.925" across the flats
approx 2.3" bot to top rail
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hope my reply didnt come across harsh, just making sure the guy got his question answered for his build.
View Quote
You aren't gonna hurt my feelings, not that I took your post as malicious. Peace!
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#9]
So, now it's decision time....
Is the coolest 308 rail ever worth the extra 3/8" in width...
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#10]
If your debating over the width your better off going elsewhere.  I have the standard enhaced on a aero pistol build its nice I also have the solo on my M5.  I personally prefer the solo with its low weight and easy grab-ability
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Just finished this 6.5 CM on an 80% lower

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I dig it
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Just built a new upper with Black Friday sales parts.

Love the new Atlas S-One rail.

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I like quality wood furniture, but, damn, does it look out of place on an AR of any sort.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like quality wood furniture, but, damn, does it look out of place on an AR of any sort.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Disagree 1000%, looks great. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if yours is wrong
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Disagree 1000%, looks great. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if yours is wrong
View Quote
That's nice, buttercup.

@Doug_262 Is that optic a Leupold? Good lookin' rig.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@Doug_262 Is that optic a Leupold? Good lookin' rig.
View Quote
Thank you.  Yes a Leupold CQ/T in a Larue mount.  I like them. 1-3x.  They are battery powered & really tough.

16” barrel in a 15” rail.  VG6 brake.  Magpul Pro sights, ACS stock & K2 grip. Larue MBT.  Caldwell brass catcher mount right before optic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to group it since I've gotten it running. Life/job has prevented that. And I didn't bother trying to group it the day I broke it in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does yours shoot?
Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to group it since I've gotten it running. Life/job has prevented that. And I didn't bother trying to group it the day I broke it in.
A little update. Had the afternoon off and it was a nice day, so I went to the range. I was just using Hornady bulk 140gr 6.5 Creedmoor American Gunner. I'm still getting used to this rifle, and had to tighten up the mount because it did shift a little bit. It was throwing random fliers, partially because of me (still getting used to the LaRue MBT, wish it was a tad lighter), but I imagine shooting factory bulk ammo might have something to do with it too. But aside from the fliers, it was running between .5" to 1.25". It did short stroke a couple rounds, but I just need to open up the gas block a tick. Could've done it there, but I just ran with it. I imagine if I get the time to work up a load for it, it'll perform much better.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Current build I'm working on

Aero M5 builders set - lower and upper receivers, handguard
Aero LPK
Ballistic Advantage 22" Premium 6.5 Creedmoor barrel
LaRue MBT
Luth-AR 'Chubby' grip
Luth-AR A2 buffer kit
VG6 Gamma 6.5 muzzle brake

I just ordered most of what I'll need to finish the build.  Only thing I'll need after this is a gas block...researching SLR vs Superlative Arms....
Luth-AR MBA-1 stock
Aero nickel boron 308 BCG  
Raptor charging handle
PMags

Rattlecan color is Rustoleum Metallic 'Soft Iron'...I really like it.  Was going for a tungsten look.  Pictures don't really do it justice and I was getting weird lighting outside...I'll get better pictures when it's done.

Link Posted: 1/1/2019 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#21]
That thing turned out awesome. Now I miss my 308 SBR. That I hardly ever shot. And definitely don't need again......
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Can anyone give me their weight on

16 inch 308 M5 upper with 12 inch Aero Rail/ROne rail

20 inch M5 upper with 15 inch R one rail

Carbine lower with SLS stock or similar magpul offering

A2 m5 lower with A2 stock

They don’t have weights listed on their website
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#23]
What are y'all using for big bolt catches? I tried the Maritime and it doesn't fit
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm using a v seven NP3 coated catch however it is sorta small for the application.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What are y'all using for big bolt catches? I tried the Maritime and it doesn't fit
View Quote
The Aero Precision catch that came in the LPK that I bought. It works, although I don't have a whole lot of rounds through my M5 yet either.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 3:09:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Possibility of trading the assault weapon ban for the wall got me spooked into buying an M5 receiver set.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Aero Precision catch that came in the LPK that I bought. It works, although I don't have a whole lot of rounds through my M5 yet either.
View Quote
I agree the standard bolt catch is fine, I'm looking for an oversized
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice Rig Doug!  What buffer spring/buffer are you running?  What BCG??  does it run well???
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone have a 12" S1 or R1 handguard? I need to know if it is a true 12" long. I'm building another .308 pistol and want to use the 12" R1/S1 handguard but I have to determine what length barrel will work with enough thread poking out the end on the barrel to put a brake or possible can mount.

I built my first .308 pistol using the Ballistic Advantage 14" barrel and the 12" Quantum handguard. Looking to go a little shorter, and the wife kinda took over shooting that one. More reason to build another.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I agree the standard bolt catch is fine, I'm looking for an oversized
View Quote
Isn’t the standard one probe to failure, especially when shooting suppressed?  I bought a DPMS backup just in case since I’ll be shooting suppressed once the fucking government opens up and starts approving forms again.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Isn’t the standard one probe to failure, especially when shooting suppressed?  I bought a DPMS backup just in case since I’ll be shooting suppressed once the fucking government opens up and starts approving forms again.
View Quote
Only if you don't tune the carrier speed down when the can increases gas in the system.  At that point *ANY* catch is prone to failure.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Only if you don't tune the carrier speed down when the can increases gas in the system.  At that point *ANY* catch is prone to failure.
View Quote
You’re right but it seemed like people had failures and then did not when they went with a non Aero part, even if nothing else was changed to slow the carrier. I’m just going on what I’ve seen and read online, mine has operated just fine so far.

Pic just cuz!

Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice Rig Doug!  What buffer spring/buffer are you running?  What BCG??  does it run well???
View Quote
I bought the complete lower from Aero a couple years ago.   It actually arrived without the buffer & spring.  A quick call to them & they sent it out right away to me.  Other than swapping out the furniture for Magpul, installing a Larue MBT & Seekins Mag Release Button the lower is all Aero.
The BCG is also Aero.  I originall built it with a 6.5 Creedmoor 24” target upper that should be pictured earlier in this thread.  Same BCG.
The 6.5 CM upper has a Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Block & after dialing to its sweet spot runs everything great.
This new 16” 308 upper I just built runs everything great as well.  i was a little concerned because it was pretty much an all Black Friday sale build.  Cheap barrel, gas block & gas tube.  And the tube is a little short in the receiver than what I am used to.  But its runs grear & has not had a single problem yet.  I really like that new Atlas Handguard.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#34]
My first .308 and my first AR-10!  The specs (dunno why there's a massive space before the table -- sorry):

LOWER
Aero PrecisionAPAR308003C M5 stripped lower receiver
Aero PrecisionAPRH100386C M5 .308 Lower Parts Kit, Minus FCG/Pistol Grip
Geissele05-101 Super Semi-Automatic (SSA) Trigger (2 of 2 in order)
Kaw Valley PrecisionKVP-AR10-MILSPECKIT-5.6 AR-10 6pos Mil-Spec Carbine Stock Hardware Kit w/ KVP 5.6oz Buffer
MagpulMAG-520-BLK MIAD Gen 1.1 Grip Kit Type 1 - Black
MagpulMAG470-BLK STR Carbine Stock - Mil-Spec - Black
LimbSaver10025 buttpad to fit Magpul stock
-
UPPER
Aero PrecisionAPAR308503C M5 stripped upper receiver
Aero PrecisionAPRH100003C Forward Assist Assembly Kit
Aero PrecisionAPRH100107 AR 308 Ejection Port Cover Kit
Aero PrecisionAPRH308186C .308/7.62 Bolt Carrier Group, Complete - Black Nitride
RadianR0007 AR-10/SR25 Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle - Black
Faxon10A810R20NPQ 20", PENCIL, .308 WIN, Rifle-Length, 4150, Nitride
SLR RifleworksSA7-CM Sentry 7 Clamp On Adjustable Gas Block - .750
Spike's TacticalSUGT0M4 melonited rifle-length gas tube
Yankee Hill MachineYHM3080W 5/8' Crush Washer Steel Black
Brownell's704000081361 A2 Flash Hider 30 Caliber 5/8-24
Odin WorksF-17-ML-O2-308 O2 Lite Free Float AR10 M-LOK Forend, QD, High Profile, Black, 17.5 in (I had some issues with this forend -- see this thread for my experience and suggestions)
-
OPTICS
Midwest IndustriesMI-QD30SM-BLK 30mm QD Scope Mount w/ 1.5in Offset, Black
Primary ArmsPA4-14XFFP308 4-14X44mm ACSS Riflescope - ACSS HUD DMR .308/.223 Reticle, Black
-
OTHER
BUISMagpul MBUS sights I already had
BipodATLAS PSR bipod BT46LW17
-
WEIGHT
Bare 8lb 3.1oz (no sights, no magazine, no bipod, no bipod picatinny section)
As shown12lb 1.5oz (including full 10-round magazine)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Very nice looking build Scrappy
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Very nice looking build Scrappy
View Quote
Thanks, Goody454!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:00:40 AM EDT
[#37]
What charging handles do you guys prefer?  I have 2 m5 builds I'm working on.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Take this FWIW, as my experience is quite limited WRT AR-10 parts.  I have two AR-15s and have used many others, but the only AR-10 I've even handled is the one I recently assembled.

When the NRA Annual Meeting was in Atlanta a couple of years ago, I tried out as many AR parts as I could (as in they were on rifles you could handle and manipulate) and found that I liked the LWRC Ambi Charging Handle the best of all.  However, they don't make those for AR-10s, so my other top choices were a Radian Raptor or a Geissele SCH.  I found a Raptor at 60% of the price of a Geissele, so that's what I got and am very pleased with it.  My brother is a lefty and just got himself a Raptor for his 6.5 Creedmoor build.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm using a Radian Raptor on mine. It's nice, but I like the BCM Gunfighters I have on my other ARs better, so my next M5 build will probably have a BCM instead (I have a couple more lowers to built up).
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Raptor user here on my M5
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I like the BCM Gunfighters I have on my other ARs better, so my next M5 build will probably have a BCM instead.
View Quote
It looks as if BCM only shows handles for AR-15s:  https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-s/123.htm
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It looks as if BCM only shows handles for AR-15s:  https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-s/123.htm
View Quote
Yeah they changed the design and killed the large-frame line.

Both of which are a shame.  I don't like the new ones.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m looking at the Seekins DNA handle, as I don’t need an ambidextrous but still like the look.
I would prefer the BCM, but as mentioned they’re no longer available.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Strike Industries needs to get off their butts and release a latchless charging handle for large-frame ARs. I have one on each of my 5.56 ARs.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Took my M5 build out to the range again today. 25 yards (indoor), pretty good accuracy and got it dialed in (strelok says 7 clicks up from a 200 yard zero, moved it 7 clicks from the stop and got it dialed in) with the can (Sandman-S) on it. BUT...

Had the same damn feeding issues. Some rounds (not every round) would get hung up going into the chamber (bolt hold open, load mag, release the bolt, get caught up). Some rounds wouldn't extract (wouldn't extract and the next round would run into it, or the bolt would catch it on the way out.
The BCG was thoroughly cleaned this morning.
Adjustable gas block was not played with. May be the source.
Any other thoughts? Its a JP SCS heavy spring, faxon match 18" 6.5CM barrel, brownells NiBoron BCG, Sandman-S.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#46]
16" M5 on the right (runs like a champ):

Link Posted: 1/17/2019 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Took my M5 build out to the range again today. 25 yards (indoor), pretty good accuracy and got it dialed in (strelok says 7 clicks up from a 200 yard zero, moved it 7 clicks from the stop and got it dialed in) with the can (Sandman-S) on it. BUT...

Had the same damn feeding issues. Some rounds (not every round) would get hung up going into the chamber (bolt hold open, load mag, release the bolt, get caught up). Some rounds wouldn't extract (wouldn't extract and the next round would run into it, or the bolt would catch it on the way out.
The BCG was thoroughly cleaned this morning.
Adjustable gas block was not played with. May be the source.
Any other thoughts? Its a JP SCS heavy spring, faxon match 18" 6.5CM barrel, brownells NiBoron BCG, Sandman-S.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its on the same setting as it was before with the 308 barrel, and adjusting it didn't seem to help then either. I'll be closing it off and testing more next range trip. Probably tomorrow. Just didn't have the ammo with me to try different settings today.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Its on the same setting as it was before with the 308 barrel, and adjusting it didn't seem to help then either. I'll be closing it off and testing more next range trip. Probably tomorrow. Just didn't have the ammo with me to try different settings today.
View Quote
I experienced this with my 6.5. it was extremely over gassed. I think I settled about 4-5 clicks from fully closed to cycle great with a superlative AGB.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
my preference is for ambi CH's:  Rainier Avalanche, and Badger Ordnance.  The Badger Ordnance requires some slight modification to fit.
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top