User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 82
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Noticed these the other day. Aero Precision has released the M5 ATLAS S-ONE M-LOK Handguard and the M5 ATLAS S-ONE KeyMod Handguard. Both are listed in 12" and 15" lengths.
View Quote
Yeah I just saw those. When I build a shorter upper for my M5 I'll probably use these. They are pretty awesome on the -15 platform.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm jumping in here. Getting an Aero M5E1 receiver kit with 15" Aero handguard for Christmas. Likely using an MBT. Still deciding on caliber but thinking 20" 6.5 Creedmoor by Faxon or Ballistic Advantage. PRS or LutherAR stock. Will likely go with a VG6 muzzle device. Add other odds and ends and I'll be left glass shopping.

Excited. Oh yeah can't forget reloading gear ouch

It will be a while before I have pictures and a range report, but this thread has been helpful to learn about parts compatibility and what I should be focusing on
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
here is my latest Aero Precision M5E1 freedom build:

Aero freedom builder set with 15'' M-lok handguard  (Schuyler arms $285.00) link:
Aero LPK & CH & gas block & tube
Hiperfire 24E trigger with the light springs (about 2lbs)
magpul MOE stock with limb saver recoil pad
PSA 10 buffer tube, Tubbs spring and H3 buffer
hogue grip
tool craft BCG
Criterion 22'' nitrided stainless hybrid barrel 1 in 11 twist
radical firearms brake (i know but PA had them for $15.00)
Meopta Meostar 4-16x44 diamond mil-dot scope in a Leupold mount.

sorry for the crappy pics but my camera broke and I had to use my phone.

Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#4]
M5 Atlas for the win. And btw what happened to the Aero industry forum? Did I miss something?

Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Who has, or occasionally has the best deal on stripped M5 lowers? Thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
M5 Atlas for the win. And btw what happened to the Aero industry forum? Did I miss something?

https://image.ibb.co/iU6Fsq/2-DB91-CFB-AC61-46-B4-B0-E7-96-F864-B6-F543.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/nBLasq/3-FC778-F7-9858-4-F66-A3-C7-174-D0-DF7-C1-D9.jpg
View Quote
Pretty sure you'll want to turn your bipod around
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Ready to assemble.  I have <$800 in it.  18" 308, and I may add a geiselle trigger I have around here.  SSA-E

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
@mk4dubbin armorally is pretty tough to beat.  I got mine from Brownell's during a sale (and i was getting other stuff at the time so it made sense to just add it on) but armorally is almost the same price all the time essentially.  Give 'em a whirl.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@mk4dubbin armorally is pretty tough to beat.  I got mine from Brownell's during a sale (and i was getting other stuff at the time so it made sense to just add it on) but armorally is almost the same price all the time essentially.  Give 'em a whirl.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
cool. thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://image.ibb.co/iU6Fsq/2-DB91-CFB-AC61-46-B4-B0-E7-96-F864-B6-F543.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/nBLasq/3-FC778-F7-9858-4-F66-A3-C7-174-D0-DF7-C1-D9.jpg
View Quote
How sturdy is the Atlas Rail with the Bipod?  My next purchase for my 308 is a hand guard and have been looking at that one.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
AERO PRECISION FREEDOM M5E1 BUILDER SET W/ 15" BLEM M-LOK HANDGUARD $300

This was just $285 a couple weeks ago. These guys are consistently the lowest priced around for a builders set.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:43:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This was just $285 a couple weeks ago. These guys are consistently the lowest priced around for a builders set.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bought my set from them. Very smooth transaction.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought all my stuff from Schuyler, except the lower.  Bought it from brownells for 90 bucks
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:09:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone tried using a noveske switchblock from an ar15 on their m5? Sounds like they use the same gas block and gas tube,so...
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Alright y'all I'm getting a builders kit for Christmas. Help me with what cartridge I should build it for.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Alright y'all I'm getting a builders kit for Christmas. Help me with what cartridge I should build it for.
View Quote
six five creedie.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
308 for <500 yards, 6.5creedmoor for anything over that.

Side question: is there a BAD lever for 308 platforms? The normal magpul one isn't compatible.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you have the opportunity to stretch its legs, 6.5 Creedmoor all the way.

My Aero receivers and rail and 6.5 barrel have proven to be an absolute tack driver.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Armorally has M5 receiver set for $182 with free LPK minus FCG.
clicky
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#20]
A question for the group:  What BCGs are you using and does the forward assist work/engage the BCG?  I put my M5 build together with an AIM Surplus NiB BCG and my I've noticed that the forward assist doesn't engage the notches on the side of it, so it doesn't do anything.  Ideas?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A question for the group:  What BCGs are you using and does the forward assist work/engage the BCG?  I put my M5 build together with an AIM Surplus NiB BCG and my I've noticed that the forward assist doesn't engage the notches on the side of it, so it doesn't do anything.  Ideas?
View Quote
The forward assist engages my Aero Precision nitride bcg. It’s one of the reasons I chose to stick with matching components for a M5e1 build as opposed to a typical AR build...
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Aero NiB carrier. It works with the FA, but I have a plug for that that I want to install.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
LANTAC .308 E-BCG + Aero M5 receiver results in a functioning forward assist.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Brownells NiBoron for mine.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
the problem is your forward assist.  the pawl doesn't reach over far enough to engage the serrations.  it'll work in a AR-15, but is unfortunately on the short spec side to be functional for the LR-308.  Most AR-15 FA's will work in the AR-308, but there's some out there that where the pawl doesn't reach.  try swapping out the FA with a different one, one that was purchased at a different time, different vendor, i.e., not from the same batch.

presuming that your carrier has the FA serrations, of course.

was pretty common a couple years back, not so common nowadays, or at least, I haven't heard of its' recurrence lately.  JIMHO.

I know Aero got stuck with a bunch of M5 uppers that had the deficient FA in them a few years back.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Ordered everything for my 12.5" M5E1 pistol build, I got the camo November special builders kit.
AIM gold BCG
FDE SBA3
cmc flatty
superlative ADJ GB

Just got to cut the hand guard down and get the cut painted.

Then going to build a dedicated upper for a 6.5 CM 20"

308 will have a 1-6 razor
6.5 will have a 4.5-27 razor
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ordered everything for my 12.5" M5E1 pistol build, I got the camo November special builders kit.
AIM gold BCG
FDE SBA3
cmc flatty
superlative ADJ GB

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
AIM gold BCG
FDE SBA3
cmc flatty
superlative ADJ GB

View Quote
I really want to make a 12.5" M5E1 pistol with all these sales. I literally have a holosun optic sitting in a box with nowhere to go. That's reason enough right?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I really want to make a 12.5" M5E1 pistol with all these sales. I literally have a holosun optic sitting in a box with nowhere to go. That's reason enough right?
View Quote
It would be irresponsible not to do a build for a lonely optic...

My MBT came in for my 14” pin and weld M5 so that one will be finished up and damn if these sales aren’t calling out to start another one!

My wallet hates me and the ole lady may not be to far behind...
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do it! I parted out my 12.5" SBR. I already miss it. Just a fun blaster/battle rifle. With how great the braces are you really don't have an excuse.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do it! I parted out my 12.5" SBR. I already miss it. Just a fun blaster/battle rifle. With how great the braces are you really don't have an excuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate you all. Didn't realize how well a flash can would fit to a 12" rail with 12.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone bought/installed the new Aero M5 Atlas handguard?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for that info on the short FAs.  The upper and it's components are also Aero from a couple years ago.  I'll try the different FA.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I hate you all. Didn't realize how well a flash can would fit to a 12" rail with 12.5" barrel.
View Quote
I'm cutting down a 15" camo handguard to give mine a perfect fit with the Sig 762 mini break I'm going to run.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#35]
So if I wanted to make a M110 clone this set is good to go? I would just use the lower and upper not the Atlas rail set.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Any Black Friday complete upper deals?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Are receiver extension kits universal for large frame guns? Stag has one in sale but didn't say what pattern it's for so want to verify before I buy
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#38]
NM, figured it all out..
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hi.  Does anyone have a good set of instructions for assembling an aero lower?  It seems some stuff screws together.  I don't want to foul this up.
View Quote
Other than the bolt hold-open latch pin screwing in and the rear takedown pivot and spring inserting from the bottom next to the selector detent and spring hole, assembly is identical to any other standard-pattern AR.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Are receiver extension kits universal for large frame guns? Stag has one in sale but didn't say what pattern it's for so want to verify before I buy
View Quote
Yes, just be sure that you are using an appropriate buffer for the receiver extension length, i.e. carbine -> carbine, rifle -> rifle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hi.  Does anyone have a good set of instructions for assembling an aero lower?  It seems some stuff screws together.  I don't want to foul this up.
View Quote
The assembly is the same except for the following parts:

Lower: Bolt catch is a threaded pin, get a snug / good fitting Allen wrench and install bolt catch like you normally would. It’s a blind hole so I get it lined up with a punch then remove the punch and thread the pin in. Do NOT use loctite or over tighten! Just snug it, it won’t back out and you do not want to strip it or break the pin.

Lower: The rear take down pin detent hole is next to the selector detent hole (closest to the RE) and is threaded 8 x 40, buy some 8 x 40 x 1/8” long set screws and clip an 1/8” of the detent spring and use the set screw to capture the detent and spring and thread it in. Easy peasy...

Upper: Forward assist is the same as the bolt catch. Push the forward assist assembly in, line it up with a punch, remove punch and insert threaded pin in and snug it up. No loctite or over tightening!!!

Your all set, if you get stuck or need help, shoot me an IM, or post your questions... You got this!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Lower: The rear take down pin detent hole is next to the selector detent hole (closest to the RE) and is threaded 8 x 40, buy some 8 x 40 x 1/8" long set screws and clip an 1/8" of the detent spring and use the set screw to capture the detent and spring and thread it in.
View Quote
There is a set screw in the LPK.  It seems the spring is way too long.  Are you saying cut off 1/8 inch of that spring and use what is left to secure the takedown pin?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#43]
LPK w/o PG or FCG was 32 bucks on armorally.  Couldn't pass that up.  Slow build, not a massive priority, but when there's a sale (or i look on armorally since they're ALWAYS ridiculously well-priced on aero stuff) I'll grab something.

also got one of their basic .308 charging handles for my MATEN, since the Mega one got bent.  Bolt catch never worked either, so I just took that part off.

The Aero isn't even built yet and I already can tell it's better than the Mega.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There is a set screw in the LPK.  It seems the spring is way too long.  Are you saying cut off 1/8 inch of that spring and use what is left to secure the takedown pin?
View Quote
Good deal on the set screw, my Aero lpk didn't include it...

Start with clipping an 1/8" ( length of the set screw). If I remember correctly I did end up clipping off an additional 1/8" or so because the spring is long in that configuration ( M5 ). Just clip a bit at a time till it assembles correctly and the tension feels right on the take down pin.

Line up the takedown pin, insert the detent ( make sure it is lined up correctly / slot - detent), insert the clipped spring, rest the setscrew on the spring and compress and tighten flush ( .050 allen wrench) and check tension on takedown pin. It doesn't take much tension for the detent to do it's job and it shouldn't be to difficult to compress and tighten the set screw, if that makes sense...

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
LPK w/o PG or FCG was 32 bucks on armorally.  Couldn't pass that up.  Slow build, not a massive priority, but when there's a sale (or i look on armorally since they're ALWAYS ridiculously well-priced on aero stuff) I'll grab something.

also got one of their basic .308 charging handles for my MATEN, since the Mega one got bent.  Bolt catch never worked either, so I just took that part off.

The Aero isn't even built yet and I already can tell it's better than the Mega.  
View Quote
Did you have a coupon code or anything?

@armedferret
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Did you have a coupon code or anything?

@armedferret
View Quote
For what?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

For what?
View Quote
Free shipping. Anything.  looking at the same lpk for a 6.5C build
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The assembly is the same except for the following parts:

Lower: Bolt catch is a threaded pin, get a snug / good fitting Allen wrench and install bolt catch like you normally would. It’s a blind hole so I get it lined up with a punch then remove the punch and thread the pin in. Do NOT use loctite or over tighten! Just snug it, it won’t back out and you do not want to strip it or break the pin.

Lower: The rear take down pin detent hole is next to the selector detent hole (closest to the RE) and is threaded 8 x 40, buy some 8 x 40 x 1/8” long set screws and clip an 1/8” of the detent spring and use the set screw to capture the detent and spring and thread it in. Easy peasy...

Upper: Forward assist is the same as the bolt catch. Push the forward assist assembly in, line it up with a punch, remove punch and insert threaded pin in and snug it up. No loctite or over tightening!!!

Your all set, if you get stuck or need help, shoot me an IM, or post your questions... You got this!
View Quote
I have had threaded bolt catch pins back out. I do use Loctite on mine.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Free shipping. Anything.  looking at the same lpk for a 6.5C build
View Quote
Jesus christ it's like 7 dollars.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Jesus christ it's like 7 dollars.
View Quote
$7 is $7 LOL
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top