BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Redid my matrix arms build on an Aero. I like the hex screw for the forward assist and tensioner screw for upper and lower. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Got my recievers and URX back from cerakote! Upper’s just mocked up, need to send it off to get assembled.

Who is the go to for URX installs now a days? I used to use boltcarrier.com but he’s closed up shop last I saw.

Barrel’s a Criterion 16” rifle gas with SLR adj. gasblock.

Link Posted: 7/27/2018 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got my recievers and URX back from cerakote! Upper’s just mocked up, need to send it off to get assembled.

Who is the go to for URX installs now a days? I used to use boltcarrier.com but he’s closed up shop last I saw.

https://i.imgur.com/Hltu1EZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FbHCWUt.jpg
View Quote
I see you're in Florida. Check out NS defense out of port Charlotte.They're a kac certified armorer and they do great work.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Built this guy as a fun heavy carbine to bang some steel around.I can shoot the cheaper steel case through this that I wouldn't put through my sr25.I got the chance to run it saturday and it took less than 5 rounds to get the gas block adjusted and running suppressed and un suppressed. Really happy with how the CMT handguard feels

https://image.ibb.co/kbUJw8/a2.jpg
View Quote
What barrel are you using? Also curious about the gas settings between supressed and unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What barrel are you using? Also curious about the gas settings between supressed and unsuppressed.
View Quote
Barrel is a faxon 16" big gunner

As far as the gas setting I really just turn it all the way off and then load 1 round in the mag and shoot.I keep doing this and adjusting till the bcg will lock back on empty and I go a tad further to ensure it wont fail on a light load.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice cerakote! What kryptek pattern is that?
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I had BlownDeadline do it. It’s his “BDL blades.” I asked for kryptek highlander colors with a little more green than usual and some burnt bronze highlights.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
that is gorgeous
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone had trouble with KAC mags in their M5? It seems as though my mag well is a little too big causing the mag to wobble enough that it drops loose when shooting.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has anyone had trouble with KAC mags in their M5? It seems as though my mag well is a little too big causing the mag to wobble enough that it drops loose when shooting.
View Quote
All I use are kac and brownells in mine and have had no issues suppressed or un-suppressed
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]
recently put together, basic stuff here.

Aero 18" 5R MLok upper (I might chop it to 16" but it was a good sale so I snagged it)
Aero BCG (in use until I have issues like some seem to)
Vortex Viper GenII 1-6 on Larue mount
Aero M5 Lower
AERO LPK (DPMS bolt catch in the drawer for when mine shatters)
Larue MBT2
Larue Grip
B5 Enhanced Stock (installed since pic was taken)

It'll get a Griffin muzzle device and AGB once I get closer to my suppressor coming in.

Link Posted: 8/4/2018 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As far as the gas setting I really just turn it all the way off and then load 1 round in the mag and shoot.I keep doing this and adjusting till the bcg will lock back on empty and I go a tad further to ensure it wont fail on a light load.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will a 16" .308 run supressed and unsuppressed on the same settings? I know my 22" Creedmore will not. I have to restrict it 2 clicks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Will a 16" .308 run supressed and unsuppressed on the same settings? I know my 22" Creedmore will not. I have to restrict it 2 clicks.
View Quote
Really going to depend on the buffer and spring at that point.This one runs just fine either way on the same setting.Both my sr25's run just fine either way without an adjustable gas block as well.On the other hand I  had a mega maten build with a BA barrel and aero 308 buffer kit that would not.The buffer/spring combo was wrong
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got done putting this together.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
recently put together, basic stuff here.

Aero 18" 5R MLok upper (I might chop it to 16" but it was a good sale so I snagged it)
Aero BCG (in use until I have issues like some seem to)
Vortex Viper GenII 1-6 on Larue mount
Aero M5 Lower
AERO LPK (DPMS bolt catch in the drawer for when mine shatters)
Larue MBT2
Larue Grip
B5 Enhanced Stock (installed since pic was taken)

It'll get a Griffin muzzle device and AGB once I get closer to my suppressor coming in.

https://i.imgur.com/CmnPNP7.jpg
View Quote
Nice looking rig, what can did you go with?

I'm waiting on my supressor as well. You have more patience though. I started switching my hiders and brakes when the check was cashed. Four months into the wait,  so I probably still have a few to go.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Took the rifle out yesterday. Multiple failures to eject and just noticed apparently my BCG is over traveling and impacting the buffer tube threads on the lower.

Yay.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 1:33:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Took the rifle out yesterday. Multiple failures to eject and just noticed apparently my BCG is over traveling and impacting the buffer tube threads on the lower.

Yay.
View Quote
Obligatory picture please. And what parts did you build it out of?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 6:06:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I’ll post pics tonight when I get home of the damage. Now that I think about it it could just be a new buffer system needed. Going to measure some stuff when I get home and order a sprinco set.

Aero M5 receivers
Toolcraft 6.5 BCG
Aero 308 carbine buffer system with buffer spring and tube.
16” Faxon 6.5 Creedmoor barrel
Centurion handgaurd
SLR Sentry 7 clamp on adjustable gas block

I went fully closed on gas and loaded 1 round until reliably locked back and then went 1 more open and then added suppressor

Will add more details when I add pics tonight.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Are there any AP promo codes currently?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice looking rig, what can did you go with?

I'm waiting on my supressor as well. You have more patience though. I started switching my hiders and brakes when the check was cashed. Four months into the wait,  so I probably still have a few to go.
View Quote
Went with Griffin.  Got a Recce 7 and a Recce 5 on order.  I actually did start changing my muzzle devices on my other guns lol.  you're closer to your can than I am I think!
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Went with Griffin.  Got a Recce 7 and a Recce 5 on order.  I actually did start changing my muzzle devices on my other guns lol.  you're closer to your can than I am I think!
View Quote
Sounds good,  post some pics once you can spring it from jail. I picked up a Saker 762 ASR.

Finally broke down and called to check the status... "Pending...". I resisted calling for a while,  but anticipation got the better of me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are there any AP promo codes currently?
View Quote
Not that I'm aware of.  They'll probably have a Labor Day sale though
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Noticed AERO is not in the Industry Forum... they leave?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Ordered a sprinco orange buffer spring and ejector upgrade spring today to see if that fixes my issue. If not a dual ejector BCG is next
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Got it all together, some quick pics for now.

Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:12:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Got it all together, some quick pics for now.
https://i.imgur.com/oq1mzV3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CaGHpWK.jpg
View Quote
Love the Camo and that URX.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Thing looks awsome the kryptek, what barrel you go with?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is the 16” Creedmoor. Got my sprinco orange buffer spring and upgraded extractor spring today and installed them. Not sure when I’ll get back to the range to function test and see if it fixes my ejection issues.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Some better pics and the build list

Aero parts:
M5 upper and lower
BCG
Lower parts
Buffer tube/spring/buffer
FDE scope mount

Magpul:
CTR stock
MIAD grip
MBUS sights
ASAP QD endplate

Misc:
Criterion rifle length 16” barrel
KAC URX 3.1 7.62
KAC URX panel kit
SLR adj gas block
Geissele SSA-E
Geissele DDC charging handle
Surefire procomp brake
Leupold Mark AR Firedot 3-9 x40

Built this to use for deer hunting, replacing my savage hog hunter. Hog hunter was great and but I’ve always wanted a 308 AR.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't know if I posted this yet, just ordered a Faxon 18" barrel for it.

Aero builder's kit
A2 stock
18" Faxon medium taper
Rifle gas
Adjustable gas block (don't remember who's)
JMT Sabre trigger

SpecWar 762 in jail

Still needs BCG and charging handle to make it a shooter.Attachment Attached File

Edit-forgot to hit upload
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1793/28957841207_c837f788fb_b.jpg
View Quote
Hey did you happen to weigh this build?  I don't have a proper scale and wondering what the weight is since we have basically the same setup.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don't know if I posted this yet, just ordered a Faxon 18" barrel for it.

Aero builder's kit
A2 stock
18" Faxon medium taper
Rifle gas
Adjustable gas block (don't remember who's)
JMT Sabre trigger

SpecWar 762 in jail

Still needs BCG and charging handle to make it a shooter.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/227739/20180421_153844-641195.JPG

Edit-forgot to hit upload
View Quote
I put a JMT Saber trigger in my 458 build.  Dry fires feel pretty good.  Be nice to get it out when I finally finish that one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#33]
wow great rifle sir!  I just sold my Savage bolt gun for a 308 AR also.

Quoted:
Some better pics and the build list

https://i.imgur.com/bGGCIq9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qvSdFZ3.jpg

Aero parts:
M5 upper and lower
BCG
Lower parts
Buffer tube/spring/buffer
FDE scope mount

Magpul:
CTR stock
MIAD grip
MBUS sights
ASAP QD endplate

Misc:
Criterion rifle length 16” barrel
KAC URX 3.1 7.62
KAC URX panel kit
SLR adj gas block
Geissele SSA-E
Geissele DDC charging handle
Surefire procomp brake
Leupold Mark AR Firedot 3-9 x40

Built this to use for deer hunting, replacing my savage hog hunter. Hog hunter was great and but I’ve always wanted a 308 AR.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I put a JMT Saber trigger in my 458 build.  Dry fires feel pretty good.  Be nice to get it out when I finally finish that one.
View Quote
I bought it on a whim because I was tired of MilSpec but didn't know which way I wanted to go. There are a lot of good triggers out there, and I figured if I didn't like it here then I could throw a MBT in and put this in either a new build or in a dedicated 22 SBR that I am collecting parts for while I wait ever so patiently for the stamp to come through. I have a Spike's battle trigger for that, but I think that will go in a new build and find a nice one for either this or the 22.

Now I know how my wife feels when I ask her where she wants to go for dinner.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hey did you happen to weigh this build?  I don't have a proper scale and wondering what the weight is since we have basically the same setup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1793/28957841207_c837f788fb_b.jpg
I just weighed it on a postal scale and it looks like just over 8.25lbs with no optic or mag and just over 10lbs with the optic.
I do have 2in less barrel but that can't add all that much.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just weighed it on a postal scale and it looks like just over 8.25lbs with no optic or mag and just over 10lbs with the optic.
I do have 2in less barrel but that can't add all that much.
View Quote
I just tried my floor scale and it said 11.2 with no mag. Yours has to be accurate. I’ll admit this gun does feel heavy tho.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:11:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:37:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I like that
@Demphna2 is that a 22" 6.5 barrel?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#39]
20" Ballistic Advantage. I've been very pleased with that barrel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone shooting a Proof Research stainless (i.e. non-CF) barrel on their M5? If so, how's the accuracy?
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#41]
@Demphna2 : What bipod and brake is that? I like the alternating pattern on the MagPul covers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@Demphna2 : What bipod and brake is that? I like the alternating pattern on the MagPul covers.
View Quote
That's a VG6 muzzle brake and a UTG rubber armored QD bipod. Surprisingly enough, I have put UTG bipods on all of my precision rifles and they have been excellent.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:23:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Bought an M5 lower the other day, figuring out what I want for components.
1: Anybody with a PRS stock that can take an OAL measurement from end of stock to end of barrel?
2: Build list looks like this, anything I'm missing? Goal is a 1MOA rifle out to 600y+; glass TBD.
Lower
Aero stripped lower
M5 LPK -FCG/-Grip
Geissele SSA-E
Hogue overmold grip
JPSCS2-10H2
M5 rifle buffer kit, no stock
Magpul PRS gen 3

Upper
Aero assembled upper receiver
Brownells 308 Nickel Boron BCG
Faxon 18" match heavy/fluted barrel
308H SLR ION 15" Hybrid Handguard- MLOK
5/8x24 KeyMo muzzle brake
Melonite gas tube
Raptor ambi charging handle
SLR .750 adj LP gas block

Glass
TBD

Can
Dead Air Sandman-S

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's a VG6 muzzle brake and a UTG rubber armored QD bipod. Surprisingly enough, I have put UTG bipods on all of my precision rifles and they have been excellent.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
1: Anybody with a PRS stock that can take an OAL measurement from end of stock to end of barrel?
View Quote
Mine is 40.5" from stock to end of muzzle device.
PRS Gen 2
20" barrel
A2 muzzle device

I think the Gen 2 might be about 1/2" longer than the Gen 3
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks twdro!
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been back and forth for months on the whole bolt vs semi thing for a 6.5mm build I've been wanting to do for a while now (and am in no rush).

Then Brownells went and threw the m5 uppers and lowers on sale. So i grabbed an upper (no sense getting a lower, almost NOBODY in this shithole will do transfers on lowers "because it undercuts us too much"....and the 3 or 4 that will charge almost the price of the lower in fees). Guess I'll pick up maybe a fulton armory barrel? I dunno.  Plenty of time to mull it over. Like i said no rush.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've been back and forth for months on the whole bolt vs semi thing for a 6.5mm build I've been wanting to do for a while now (and am in no rush).

Then Brownells went and threw the m5 uppers and lowers on sale. So i grabbed an upper (no sense getting a lower, almost NOBODY in this shithole will do transfers on lowers "because it undercuts us too much"....and the 3 or 4 that will charge almost the price of the lower in fees). Guess I'll pick up maybe a fulton armory barrel? I dunno.  Plenty of time to mull it over. Like i said no rush.
View Quote
You need to step up and get a 5D Tactical UNIVERSAL AR-308/AR-10 80% LOWER RECEIVER JIG or similar.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You need to step up and get a 5D Tactical UNIVERSAL AR-308/AR-10 80% LOWER RECEIVER JIG or similar.
View Quote
Does it come with free anodizing?

K then.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

K then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

K then.
Not sure we're on the same page? I'm saying finish your own 80% lower and forget dealing with your local FFL's and the entire game of registration that isn't registration but it is.
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top