Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 82
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Will a CMMG MK3 lower parts kit work in an Aero M5 lower or am I better off finding an Aero kit?
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will a CMMG MK3 lower parts kit work in an Aero M5 lower or am I better off finding an Aero kit?
View Quote
As far as I know all LPK's will work with any DPMS lower. The only things that won't work are the takedown and pivot pins. AERO only on those.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:43:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I jumped on the AP M5 wagon about a month ago when i came across an upper and lower threaded set for $187 at the local gunshow. Way too good of a price to pass up. I almost bought two sets.

Found a 12" handguard for $100 on the EE, and a bear creek 20" nitride tube with rifle gas for $54 from PA.

Im just waiting on the stock and glass to arrive to finish it off.

Hopefully it will have its first shots next weekend.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Does the PRI Gen III handguard & SPR rail work with the M5? I can't find a definitive answer anywhere online. So what I've gathered so far is the Aero M5 is a .210" DPMS high equivalent. It has DPMS barrel but threads, and a 1.318" height from bore center line.

So would the right combination be to use the DPMS handguard with the correct barrel nut and the Armalite SPR rail for the correct rail height?
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I just finished my 14.5 inch M5. Anyone having cycling issues??? Failure to feed/eject. Here are the build specs: Aero m5 matched set, aero BCG, 14.5 BA barrel, Surefire socom 2 with Surefire warden, seekins adjustable gas block, aero carbine buffer and carbine buffer spring. I don’t believe it is a gas issue. The warden adds plenty of back pressure and I have tried the gas block on several different setting.... any thoughts or recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just finished my 14.5 inch M5. Anyone having cycling issues??? Failure to feed/eject. Here are the build specs: Aero m5 matched set, aero BCG, 14.5 BA barrel, Surefire socom 2 with Surefire warden, seekins adjustable gas block, aero carbine buffer and carbine buffer spring. I don’t believe it is a gas issue. The warden adds plenty of back pressure and I have tried the gas block on several different setting.... any thoughts or recommendations?
View Quote
Had the same issue with my 14.5 BA with those same parts. (You are using the short Aero 308 carbine buffer to start with, yes?) The 14.5 BA is very under gassed. The Aero buffer/spring combo is too strong. I figured this out because even with my adj gas block wide open, it wouldn't lock open on empty. However when I mounted a suppressor, it would run fine and lock on empty.

Long story short, I swapped the buffer tube out for an Armalite AR10 length tube (same as A5 length, allows the use of standard AR15 buffers), an AR15 carbine buffer, Tubb flat wire spring and KAK dual ejector BCG. Now it works. The KAK BCG solved the intermittent ejection malfunctions that it was still having with the Aero BCG.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Had the same issue with my 14.5 BA with those same parts. (You are using the short Aero 308 carbine buffer to start with, yes?) The 14.5 BA is very under gassed. The Aero buffer/spring combo is too strong. I figured this out because even with my adj gas block wide open, it wouldn't lock open on empty. However when I mounted a suppressor, it would run fine and lock on empty.

Long story short, I swapped the buffer tube out for an Armalite AR10 length tube (same as A5 length, allows the use of standard AR15 buffers), an AR15 carbine buffer, Tubb flat wire spring and KAK dual ejector BCG. Now it works. The KAK BCG solved the intermittent ejection malfunctions that it was still having with the Aero BCG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 12.5 308 M5. i have the stock parts all from Aero. The only part that is not is the Odin Works ADJ gas block. It gave me plenty of flexibility and takes care of the factory and reloads. It has done me wonders and throws brass right at the 3 o'clock position.

https://www.odinworks.com/Adjustable_Gas_Block_p/gb-adj.htm
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#8]
My 3rd M5 build

Untitled by hoevito, on Flickr

Link Posted: 6/8/2018 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't make up your mind on keymod vs MLOK? I like the black one better
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Can't make up your mind on keymod vs MLOK? I like the black one better
View Quote
Funny you say that, I didn't even want keymod to begin with...but at the time I build it I couldn't find a 12" FDE keymod handguard in stock anywhere to save my life.

Had to settle
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey guys, I've got my build 95% assembled. Just missing a charging handle and magazines at this point.

Which mags do you guys with 6.5 creedmoor builds use?

Pics of rifle:

The lower doesn't match the upper very well but I could not care less. It was an 80% that I finished myself.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#14]
How are you guys liking the M5 enhanced upper/handguard combos?

IIRC, some people had issues with the handguard retention screws breaking.  Is this still an issue?

How are the Aero M5 handguards holding up?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks great!  What barrel are you using?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I am building a similar rifle to your black one, 16" barrel, 12" AP handguard. Have you weighed it? Was your intent to keep it light? BCG choice? Those .308 BCG's sure are heavy!

Both builds look really good!
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, used 16" Faxon big gunner

Quoted:

I am building a similar rifle to your black one, 16" barrel, 12" AP handguard. Have you weighed it? Was your intent to keep it light? BCG choice? Those .308 BCG's sure are heavy!

Both builds look really good!
I actually did yes lol. Went with the Faxon bcg, and the build came in at 8lb 1.5oz with Diamondhead sights and bcm rail panels installed.

Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks, used 16" Faxon big gunner

I actually did yes lol. Went with the Faxon bcg, and the build came in at 8lb 1.5oz with Diamondhead sights and bcm rail panels installed.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1754/41961195654_27d48b33ab_b.jpgUntitled by hoevito, on Flickr
View Quote
Weight is not too bad at all! You happy with the accuracy of that barrel?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Weight is not too bad at all! You happy with the accuracy of that barrel?
View Quote
Weight and handling are great actually...I've played with a Scar 17 on a few occassions and it's nearly the exact same weight but noticeably less front heavy.

Far as accuracy, I have not tested it formally or even tried to shoot tight groups yet honestly. I've shot it once so far just to break it in and check function, which I tend to run around 150-200 rounds of surplus and various steel cased loads in doing so.

I've only shot Malaysian surplus and assorted M80 loads so far, but it showed some pretty decent accuracy potential I'll say. Only shot at 50 yards, but this should at least show that it has some good potential with the right loads. Top left "group" I was still chasing my zero, which I still need to nail down completely. All shooting was done at 50 yards from a bench, no bipod, no bags, just the rifle resting on the mag being shot from the table lol. The bottom right "group" is a mix of M80 and Malaysian surplus mixed in together. I shot 10 round strings, and I'm pretty sure it was likely 6 rounds of m80 and 4 of Malaysian L2A2, or vice versa

I managed to get the second or 3rd mag on camera, shooting characteristics are quite pleasant as you can see. It's a pretty soft shooter, but the concussion kept knocking down my phone (which is what I keep looking to my right for) lol.

https://youtu.be/ZGsUcKH1Tek
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Heres my complete M5. 20" bear creek tube w rifle gas, and threaded Aero upper/lower set i picked up for under $200!

Whole setup was $1050 with glass and weighs in right at 11lbs.

I got a chance to feed her today and some handloads were getting 3100 with varget and 125gn pills. Im happy with it. Cant wait to do more load development!

Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Better pics

Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#22]
@airaddict - keep us posted on your load development...I was Curtiss about that barrel?  Did you weigh it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:33:06 AM EDT
[#23]
@Falfreak

I actually did weigh it before mounting it because i was curious myself. Its about 3lbs cuz its a socom contour and 20" long.

For a $54 barrel, it shoots pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I feel bad seeing everyone else's builds here.

I was able to get a set for just over 200 shipped. So I purposely cheaped out on everything. I love the way it looks and feels. I may change the furniture though.

It's only been on one range trip but it functioned great until the gas block and tube slid forward (gunsmith gave me a trick to dimple so that will be fixed).

It's got a 16" med-heavy kak barrel so it's 9.5# as configured.

Attachment Attached File

M5 black set
Kak barrel
DD fixed sights
A2 flash hider
SAA small parts and charging handle.
Brownells BCG
SAA diy polished trigger
A1 surplus furniture.
Strike dust cover
Tubbs recoil spring
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I feel bad seeing everyone else's builds here.

I was able to get a set for just over 200 shipped. So I purposely cheaped out on everything. I love the way it looks and feels. I may change the furniture though.

It's only been on one range trip but it functioned great until the gas block and tube slid forward (gunsmith gave me a trick to dimple so that will be fixed).

It's got a 16" med-heavy kak barrel so it's 9.5# as configured.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/153775/IMG_20180611_204820991-575575.JPG

M5 black set
Kak barrel
DD fixed sights
A2 flash hider
SAA small parts and charging handle.
Brownells BCG
SAA diy polished trigger
A1 surplus furniture.
Strike dust cover
Tubbs recoil spring
View Quote
@bacon_grease ....the Aero sets have been getting cheaper and cheaper. My threaded receiver set i found for $187 at my local gunshow! Just needed an enhanced barrel nut and i was in business.

Makes me think Aero is getting ready to release something new if all their first gen’s are being discounted.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@bacon_grease ....the Aero sets have been getting cheaper and cheaper. My threaded receiver set i found for $187 at my local gunshow! Just needed an enhanced barrel nut and i was in business.

Makes me think Aero is getting ready to release something new if all their first gen’s are being discounted.
View Quote
Honestly that would be nice. I hope it's something lightweight if they do. I got mine at BK firearms online. They had the sets with handguards for under 300 but they were out of mlok.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Thinking about building my set into a 16” 6.5 Creedmoor from Wilson Combat with intermediate gas with SLR 7. I will be using a SDN6 on this gun.

Has anyone used the Wilson combat barrels or the M5’s?

I know Wilson has a great reputation.

Also thinking of going with a centurion CMR MLOK handgaurd 13”. Anyone run of of these?

Also to add I’m thinking about a few different scopes. I’m torn between the Leupold VX-3i LRP, Nightforce SHV, Vortex Viper PST Gen II.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#28]
What 6.5 reloading dies did you  guys go with loading for the Areo barrel ? Will normal full length dies work or do i need small base ?
I just built a 6.5 creedmoor in a bolt gun also and crap I might need two different sizing dies.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Had some more time for load development with the Aero M5 with the Bear Creek tube.
Used more Varget, tried out 4064, and some more CFE 223 with the 125gn TMK’s.

4064 got me above 3000fps easier than Varget, but my rifle seriously dislikes CFE. Even with mag primers i cant get those loads to group well  or hold decent velocities or SD’s. I was getting ejector swipes through the whole range of powder charges, but none of the loads were below 3100fps.

4064 seems to be the better powder, so ill explore a few charges a bit more and see if i can tighten these groups up a bit. Lowest charge was 2958fps and highest was 3111fps.

First pic is from 6-18-2018 and has 3”round targets, and second pic is from today and has 1” targets.

Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Has anyone tried a CMMG Mk3 upper on their Aero M5 lower? Curious to see how it lines up. I'd like an upper without a forward assist.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#31]
What is the suggested barrel nut torque? I am building a16" faxton barrel upper. I know it's in here somewhere, but can't find it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Just ordered a Faxon 16” 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on sale for $190.

One step closer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Aero Precision Freedom Edition receivers & receiver sets are now on sale.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/freedom-collection.html

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What is the suggested barrel nut torque? I am building a16" faxton barrel upper. I know it's in here somewhere, but can't find it.
View Quote
65 ft lbs
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#35]
anyone in need of some Aero bolt catches and extended mag releases?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you have some that youre selling?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I was going to wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday to build my 308.  I had already decided to go with an Aero Precision receiver set.  Now you do this.  Jerks.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#38]
I broke a bolt catch on my 260 Rem M5 this weekend.

Although I was running suppressed, I have an SLR gas block. It lasted for ~150 rounds.

Anyone know of a machined bolt catch that will fit? All I can find are cast or MIM bolt catches.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
For sure on the Mag release
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Although I was running suppressed, I have an SLR gas block. It lasted for ~150 rounds.

Anyone know of a machined bolt catch that will fit? All I can find are cast or MIM bolt catches.
View Quote
https://www.rainierarms.com/v-seven-s7-bolt-catch-308-dpms-sr-25/
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man; I just ordered one. We'll see how it does.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Holy Smokes, that is a great price!
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Smoking deal. SMOS is top notch.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Would anyone say a double ejector BCG is worth an extra $75?

I was planning on getting a Toolcraft BCG. The double ejector is $75 more for the 6.5 Creedmoor
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 2:33:57 AM EDT
[#46]
AR10 by J M, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Will a 20 round mag work off a bench with a bipod and rear bag or should I get a 10 for bench work?

Right now I only have 3 25 round mags and need something shorter for sight in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Will a 20 round mag work off a bench with a bipod and rear bag or should I get a 10 for bench work?

Right now I only have 3 25 round mags and need something shorter for sight in.
View Quote
20 round mag works. It's all I use
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Got my M5 in .260 Rem dialed in at 100 finally. It only took ~350 rounds to find a freaking load that shot.

Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Built this guy as a fun heavy carbine to bang some steel around.I can shoot the cheaper steel case through this that I wouldn't put through my sr25.I got the chance to run it saturday and it took less than 5 rounds to get the gas block adjusted and running suppressed and un suppressed. Really happy with how the CMT handguard feels

Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top