Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 82
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a Sprinco orange on hand to use with my AP 308 carbine buffer kit to hopefully fix my lack of bolt hold open, weak ejection and gouges put into back of brand new magazine follower.

The spent cases appear in slowmo video to hit the deflector then go back into the ejection port and bounce around.

18" BA barrel, AP nitride bcg and SLR adj gas block.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a few parts laying around or on other rifles. I may swap some stuff around and see what I can remedy before buying new parts. I guess this is part of the fun of building a .308?
View Quote
Are you trying to use AR15 parts (mag button, bolt catch) on it? IIRC the 308 parts are proprietary. I used an Aero mag button which is longer and a DPMS 308 bolt catch (Aero's catch seems to break a lot).
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Are you trying to use AR15 parts (mag button, bolt catch) on it? IIRC the 308 parts are proprietary. I used an Aero mag button which is longer and a DPMS 308 bolt catch (Aero's catch seems to break a lot).
View Quote
I mostly pieced my lower parts together in the 308 AR section on Primary Arms. Chalk it up as lessons learned I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I mostly pieced my lower parts together in the 308 AR section on Primary Arms. Chalk it up as lessons learned I suppose.
View Quote
Sometimes it's hard to know on the different mag release parts. Some brands' parts will work on both the AR-15 and "AR-10" platforms but some only work with AR-15s. I've not found a good source of info on which ones are good to go and which aren't.

The Geissele bolt catch you picked up is AR-15 only. You need a standard DPMS-style .308 bolt catch. Seekins makes an enhanced bolt catch which will install fine on the lower, but it won't work with the Aero M5 upper (I learned that one from my own experience). The upper has a recess for the upper paddle of the bolt catch that isn't wide enough for anything other than the standard style so just stick to the standard style. If my Aero bolt catch breaks I'll probably go with a DPMS piece.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
So I've mocked up the complete ass end to an AR 308 build- all Aero except for the MagPul stock, pistol grip, and BCM Gunfighter charging handle. I'm just waiting on the barrel, gas block, gas tube, handguard, and optic.

The Aero recoil spring is super stiff. I have FAL's, a PTR91, and French MAS's, and none of them have even close to that amount of spring resistance. I've tried light coats of grease and oil (switched back to grease. Again, light coat.). Should I trim a coil or two off? Switch springs? Will it noticeably break in with use?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I've mocked up the complete ass end to an AR 308 build- all Aero except for the MagPul stock, pistol grip, and BCM Gunfighter charging handle. I'm just waiting on the barrel, gas block, gas tube, handguard, and optic.

The Aero recoil spring is super stiff. I have FAL's, a PTR91, and French MAS's, and none of them have even close to that amount of spring resistance. I've tried light coats of grease and oil (switched back to grease. Again, light coat.). Should I trim a coil or two off? Switch springs? Will it noticeably break in with use?
View Quote

I'd hold off until you've shot it.  No sense creating a problem if one doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
That's what I'm thinking, but man is this bitch tough to rack (yes, I go to the gym.). It is very smooth, so it doesn't feel like anything is binding anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Can anybody help me out with the AP barrel nut install?
Got my hand guard today, looks great, instructions would have been even better.
Must have been optional.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
When I was trying to help him I didn't even catch that he was installing an AR15 part, so you hit it on the head. 

ConKeeper, you might want to try the Phase 5 Tactical Phase 5 Tactical Extended Bolt Release . This is a 308 part, I have one installed on my Aero, and it works great.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Just wondering what the torque value/range is.
I am seeing anywhere from 35 FT/LBS  for an AR15 to 65 for a 308.  
So what are you guys going by
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just wondering what the torque value/range is.
I am seeing anywhere from 35 FT/LBS  for an AR15 to 65 for a 308.  
So what are you guys going by
View Quote
65 ft/lbs for M5E1. For regular M5 it'll vary depending on your barrel nut and handguard. I've not seen less than 50 ft/lbs for these, and up to 65 ft/lbs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone tried the Forward Controls ABC/R Bolt Catch in an M5?

http://forwardcontrolsdesign.com/ABCR-v2-762mm_p_93.html
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When I was trying to help him I didn't even catch that he was installing an AR15 part, so you hit it on the head. 

ConKeeper, you might want to try the Phase 5 Tactical Phase 5 Tactical Extended Bolt Release . This is a 308 part, I have one installed on my Aero, and it works great.
View Quote
Yeah, the MBC is an AR15 part. The FAQs here at the top of the main page say that an AR15 bolt catch will work on most DPMS/KAC pattern lowers. I either misread it initially, or this one doesn't fall into the "most" category. I'll probably just end up ordering a standard DPMS bolt catch and call it a day.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just got a bunch of parts back from cerakote and I'm starting to assemble. Two issues I may have already. Does anyone have a Geissele maritime bolt catch installed. It fits but isn't moving. Also installed a Strike Industries enhanced mag catch. The button is only engaging the threads by a few turns. Is this normal for either part? Hate to have hit a wall already.
View Quote
You need the AR10 bolt catch, not Ar15... the ones from DPMS are excellent and have been the replacement go-to after several of Aero's M5 bolt catches broke.

LR-308 Bolt Catch
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Figured out my issue: Rifle-length spring in carbine buffer tube. JP spring of the proper length ordered and inbound.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Would not lock back suppressed even with gas block all the way open, but suppressed (at only 5 clicks open), the orange spring made a noticeable difference in felt recoil and ejection improved a lot. Bolt locked back every time.

Quoted:
Got a Sprinco orange on hand to use with my AP 308 carbine buffer kit to hopefully fix my lack of bolt hold open, weak ejection and gouges put into back of brand new magazine follower.

The spent cases appear in slowmo video to hit the deflector then go back into the ejection port and bounce around.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#17]
A little bump in the road during my install...

My Spike's Tactical barrel nut wrench won't fit over my barrel.

Awesome Spike's barrel wrench

This tool is perfect and excellent for removing Colt AR15 barrel nuts you would swear were welded on. Broke every nut free w/o damage. It is a godsend for any tough 5.56 GI barrel nut on a 5.56 barrel.

But won't fit around my .308 Criterion barrel.
The Spike's tool surrounds the barrel nut a bit more than half way, and the greater diameter of the .308 barrel make it a no-go for this job. Not Spike's fault. I was trying to make the tool do something it was not designed to do. It was not meant to fit around a .308 barrel.

So I'll need a wrench to finish this project.
I ordered a Weaponwerx Ar Combo Armorer Wrench today.
This wrench

I hope to get everything torqued down properly when this wrench gets here!
Mocked up
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A little bump in the road during my install...

My Spike's Tactical barrel nut wrench won't fit over my barrel.

Awesome Spike's barrel wrench
http://cdn-us-cf2.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~13.88/userdocs/products/p_100014395_1.jpg?yocs=p_&yoloc=us
This tool is perfect and excellent for removing Colt AR15 barrel nuts you would swear were welded on. Broke every nut free w/o damage. It is a godsend for any tough 5.56 GI barrel nut on a 5.56 barrel.

But won't fit around my .308 Criterion barrel.
The Spike's tool surrounds the barrel nut a bit more than half way, and the greater diameter of the .308 barrel make it a no-go for this job. Not Spike's fault. I was trying to make the tool do something it was not designed to do. It was not meant to fit around a .308 barrel.

So I'll need a wrench to finish this project.
I ordered a Weaponwerx Ar Combo Armorer Wrench today.
This wrench
http://www.weaponwerx.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/9269342539_052daa9080_b.jpg

I hope to get everything torqued down properly when this wrench gets here!
Mocked up
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/355715/AP_mocked_up-305110.JPG
View Quote
Update->
Weaponwerx Ar Combo Armorer Wrench fits and will work for my barrel.  I'll finish this up on Saturday at work.  I left my tools there knowing I'd be back...
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm using the same Sprinco Orange spring with a Kaw Valley 5.6oz buffer, and the bolt slams home with authority (locks up nice and tight with a Phase 5 BHO lever). I've had nothing but excellent performance, and accuracy with my AP 18" rifle, amazing in fact!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Snerticus thanks for the intel on the Weaponwerx wrench. I'll be using it on my upcoming AR10 (AP M5 based) build.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quick question, will the Armalite AR-10A bolt catch fit the M5 lower?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Snerticus thanks for the intel on the Weaponwerx wrench. I'll be using it on my upcoming AR10 (AP M5 based) build.
View Quote
BigBadWolf11B->
You're welcome!  
Weaponwerx shipped priority mail and I had the wrench in 3 days.  
Nice wrench too.  I don't see myself wearing it out or it breaking.  I was pleased w/ the quality feel and the exact fit.

And good luck w/ your build!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quick question, will the Armalite AR-10A bolt catch fit the M5 lower?
View Quote
Disregard. I ordered the DPMS bolt catch.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#24]
So what ammo is good for running through ballistic barrels? I am looking at 146 gr is that too low?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone used an extended rear takedown pin for their M5? I'm working on a build but need an extended rear takedown pin for our garbage laws in NY. Just looking for some ideas and to see maybe what has worked for you guys? Or if you have an extra PM me and we can work something out. But so far, aero builders kit in FDE from Schuyler's, a carbine buffer kit, aero LPK, and a magpul UBR 2 stock on the way.and by the way, It's my first AR-10 build.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone aware of issues with early production 20rd lr/sr pmags not dropping free? I have two with date stamp of 11/2013, both are new in package, neither will drop free from a recent production M5 lower. I went and bought new 20 & 25rd 2017 produced mags and both drop free. I'm going to contact Magpul and I'm sure they'll take care of me, just curious if there were problems early on or if I got a bad lot. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Finally got my build assembled today. Only took me about a year and half to gather all my parts. I just hope it shoots well without any major issues. So here's what I got:

AP M5 upper/lower
Magpul Gen 3 PRS
Armalite buffer tube
DPMS rifle buffer spring
KAK heavy buffer
Larue A-PEG grip
Geissele SSA-E
ArmaSpec short throw selector and anti walk pins
DPMS bolt catch
BCM Gunfighter CH medium latch
AP black nitride BCG
DPMS quad rail (EE score)
JP adjustable gas block
WMD nitromet gas tube
BA Premium 20"
Surefire SOCOM 762 brake

I think that's everything

Oh, and cerakote was done by a friend/coworker/local guy
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Aero Precision M5 FDE Builders Kit
Mega 18" barrel 1/10 Twist
Aero Precision Gas Block
Precision Armament M4-72 Severe Duty Compensator
Radian Raptor FDE 308 Charging Handle
DPMS LR-308 Bolt Carrier Group
Aero Precision 30mm Scope Mount
Trijicon Accupoint TR23-1 5-20X50G
Magpul MLOK FDE Type 1 Covers
Magpul ACS stock w/ Limbsaver Precision Fit Recoil Pad 
MOE+ Pistol Grip
Aero Precision LPK
Geissele God Bless Texas SD-E Trigger
Phase 5 Tactical Extended Bolt Release
Kaw Valley Precision 5.6oz Buffer
Sprinco Orange Buffer
Battle Arms Bad-Ass Ambi Safety
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Last two posts.... NICE rifles!
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:55:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Those last ones are making me think my next build will have to be in FDE.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#32]
My PA-10, gen 2, complete ACS-L lower is on the way.  This thread is relative to my interest.  Want Aero upper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Those last ones are making me think my next build will have to be in FDE.
View Quote
This entire thread has me convinced my next AR build is FDE.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This entire thread has me convinced my next AR build is FDE.
View Quote
Great starting point: M5E1 FDE Builder Set 15" MLOK $350
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks! I'm hoping that scouring this thread for the duration of the build will help me avoid some of the common issues. Hoping to get some glass here in the near future and get it out to the range.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Aero upper and lower
Lantac BCG
BCM mod 4 charging handle
SiCo ASR flash hider
CMT Mod 1 rail
Miad grip
UBR 2.0
Faxon firearms match .308 fluted 20" 5R rifling barrel
Geissele SSA
Aero LPK
Jp silent capture
SLR adjustable GB
Leupold ims mark 4
Leupold mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20

Receivers and rail cerakoted patriot brown. The stock and grip came in FDE. I used Alumahyde magpul fde on the Leupold IMS mount.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
http://i66.tinypic.com/141v960.jpg

Aero upper and lower
Lantac BCG
SiCo ASR flash hider
CMT Mod 1 rail
Miad grip
UBR 2.0
Geissele SSA
Aero LPK
Jp silent capture
SLR adjustable GB
Leupold ims mark 4

Receivers and rail cerakoted patriot brown. The stock and grip came in FDE. I used Alumahyde magpul fde on the Leupold IMS mount.
View Quote
That's sexy! I like it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Aero upper and lower
Lantac BCG
SiCo ASR flash hider
CMT Mod 1 rail
Miad grip
UBR 2.0
Geissele SSA
Aero LPK
Jp silent capture
SLR adjustable GB
Leupold ims mark 4

View Quote
@Steven11b Sweet looking rifle. I love that rail. I have one on a current work in progress build. The only thing I would change about your build would be the UBR swapped out for a SOPMOD. Other then that excellent choice of parts!!!!

This project started with an extra 16" Faxon barrel. I figured I can't let it just lay around, so I started a new Aero build.... :D
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks man!
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@Steven11b Sweet looking rifle. I love that rail. I have one on a current work in progress build. The only thing I would change about your build would be the UBR swapped out for a SOPMOD. Other then that excellent choice of parts!!!!

This project started with an extra 16" Faxon barrel. I figured I can't let it just lay around, so I started a new Aero build.... :D
https://i.imgur.com/UZZS2Y4.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aero upper and lower
Lantac BCG
SiCo ASR flash hider
CMT Mod 1 rail
Miad grip
UBR 2.0
Geissele SSA
Aero LPK
Jp silent capture
SLR adjustable GB
Leupold ims mark 4

https://i.imgur.com/UZZS2Y4.jpg
I used the UBR because I wanted the extra weight added to help balance it out.  

I shot it yesterday for the first time with handloads only, it shot 3 different loads right under 1" at 125yds(grass was blocking my 100yd view). Set the gas block at the 8th click from closed and it was ejecting and cycling perfect across the board(without the suppressor). The brass did have a lot of "rings" blemished all around them for some reason. I am thinking its the coating that Faxon Used?

That Miad 1.1 grip I had to dremel the inside to get it to fit properly and the ejection port cover rod had to be shortened as it hit the rail not allowing it to mate up to the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#41]
What kind of accuracy are you all seeing out of these?  I'm hoping to buy one here shortly and I don't need anything special just accurate enough to build my skill set
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I used the UBR because I wanted the extra weight added to help balance it out.  

I shot it yesterday for the first time with handloads only, it shot 3 different loads right under 1" at 125yds(grass was blocking my 100yd view). Set the gas block at the 8th click from closed and it was ejecting and cycling perfect across the board(without the suppressor). The brass did have a lot of "rings" blemished all around them for some reason. I am thinking its the coating that Faxon Used?

That Miad 1.1 grip I had to dremel the inside to get it to fit properly and the ejection port cover rod had to be shortened as it hit the rail not allowing it to mate up to the receiver.
View Quote
Same observation on the ejection port rod. I took .06-.08 from the end of it with my bench grinder before the handguard would fit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What kind of accuracy are you all seeing out of these?  I'm hoping to buy one here shortly and I don't need anything special just accurate enough to build my skill set
View Quote
I just put together an M5E1 w/ Ballistic Advantage 20" 6.5 CM barrel that really shoots great.  So far I have put 60 rounds of Hornady Black 140gr BTHP and 20 rounds of Hornady 147 ELD-M through it.  The largest groups at 100 yd have been around 1 inch.  Yesterday I shot four groups with the Black which resulted in three groups <0.5 in and the last group right at 1 in.  With the SLR sentry 8 adjustable gas block, it was very easy to get the gas dialed in where it was ejecting at the proper angle.  Only two stovepipes which took place while I was adjusting gas to get it right (had it turned way down to start), so I don't really count those.  From front to back, Rugged Surge suppressor on a Rugged three port muzzle break, BA 20" 6.5 CM barrel, SLR Sentry 8 gas block, M5E1 keymod rail (extremely stiff, I like), Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 MOA in 20 MOA LaRue LT-745, Aero nitride BCG w/ high pressure bolt, RRA varmint 3.5 lb two stage trigger, LaRue RAT stock.  Recoil is exceedingly mild, the gun basically shoots itself.  The only thing I would change would be to have purchased a fluted barrel, but for how much I paid for this one I can't complain.  A scope upgrade will happen in the future when I get off the fence about what I want.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Faxon barrel?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone used the VLTOR RE10-A5SR buffer tube on the M5 build?

Working on an Aero M5 based .308 build and I need the correct buffer and spring type. The reason I ask type is due to the fact I'm using a VLTOR RE10-A5SR extension. I double tapped with Slash and he told me carbine buffer (XH) and rifle length spring. I assume he's the man when it comes to this as that is his business but I'm wondering if anyone else has anything to add. I know it's specifically known that you use a carbine length buffer in a AR10 due to he extra length on the AR10 BCG. I assume you use the rifle length buffer spring due to the longer VLTOR RE10-A5SR extension.

I did roughly measure the VLTOR tube compared to the tube in my present AR15 from the threads back, the VLTOR is about 1/2-5/8" longer than a standard buffer tube. I just need some reassurance I'm not buying crap I don't need. Buy once, cry once.

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Faxon barrel?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Faxon barrel?
I thought it was a Ballistic Advantage barrel?  Whatever the stock, straight from Aero complete gun has.  I'm probably going to get both .308 and 6.5CM uppers but only one lower
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I thought it was a Ballistic Advantage barrel?  Whatever the stock, straight from Aero complete gun has.  I'm probably going to get both .308 and 6.5CM uppers but only one lower
View Quote
No, I used Faxon barrel. Only thing Aero on mine is the recievers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#48]
With the Aero receivers are you guys having to use spacers to get the hand guard nut timed ?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
With the Aero receivers are you guys having to use spacers to get the hand guard nut timed ?
View Quote
I can't comment on the M5 receiver but if it's the M5E1 you don't have to worry about timing the nut except maybe a little bit to make sure the gas tube doesn't hit on one of the "teeth."
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm super tempted to put together one with a pinned and welded 14.5" barrel.

Anyone have one?
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top