User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 82
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So is there a list of triggers that would fit an aero m5 lower? Looking at cmc and larue. Thinking both fit but just wanted to make sure.
View Quote
I've used Larue and a few Geissele's in mine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just finished reading this thread from post #1 to here (took days - whew!) and learned a lot that helped with my ongoing M5 .308 build. One thing I did not see mentioned is this:

How interchangeable are DPMS style .308 firing pins? I've read that the bolt and carrier ought to be from the same manufacturer to ensure proper fit, but what about the firing pins? If I buy a DPMS ".308 firing pin," will it fit any manufacturer's .308 BCG? What about the firing pin retainers? Bolt gas rings? Are the extractor O-rings the same size as an AR-15s?

I'm assuming that the heftier .308 BCG uses larger gas rings, firing pin and maybe firing pin retainer.

I like keeping spares of these on hand for my AR-15s. I'd like to do the same for my .308 build but I'm not sure how interchangeable these are from one BCG manufacturer to another.
View Quote
Firing pins are often different diameters at the tip. The original DPMS pins are larger diameter than Aero and JP high pressure bcg pins. Aero and JP reduced the diameter of the firing pin and it's hole in the bolt to handle pressure issues from the 6.5.

O rings are normally the same as the 5.56 O rings but are commonly stacked two high.

I think most the gas rings will swap between 308's but they are larger than 5.56 rings.

Retainers are also larger than 5.56 models but usually swap between 308's.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I got my LT 845 and Radius mounted up yesterday!

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
i've seen 2 types of firing pin retainers in 308 BCG's, the hardened spring cotter-pin type, and the nail-like with the split end.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i've seen 2 types of firing pin retainers in 308 BCG's, the hardened spring cotter-pin type, and the nail-like with the split end.
View Quote
My understanding is they can normally be swapped.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My understanding is they can normally be swapped.
View Quote

They can, but the flat-head version is incredibly poorly designed and is notorious for breakage.  Hardened cotter pin type is far superior.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I am a lefty and as such I really like the Magpul BAD lever. I understand it won't fit on the Aero M5. However I saw that Lanbo's has the Phase 5 variant on sale and they made one compatible with the LR308 receivers. Has anybody used these before?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I started putting the list together for my first M5 build.  I'm going .308 and 18" for a complete upper.  I plan on suppressing it so I want to keep the overall length down.  Probably get their nickel boron BCG, a Geissele trigger.  I can't really decide on a stock, I'm torn between a standard A2 style stock or a STR/something similar.  I have a Vortex PST 6-24x50 that will go on it, it's currently sitting on my RPR that will get an upgrade to a Razor GenII at some point.

Now comes the saving money and slowly buying and assembling everything
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Two Aero M5s, one with an 18" barrel / rifle stock and a Primary Arms FFP scope with ACSS reticle (Odin Works rail I believe) , the other rifle is an M5E1 upper with a 16" barrel / carbine stock and a TA33 ACOG with 308 reticle that I got for an absurd price during one of the Amazon blowout sales. Both have Giessele triggers (SSA-E in the rifle and SSA in the carbine). I had some initial issues with a Seekins precision adjustable gas block on the larger rifle (I couldn't find a single gas tube across 5 attempts that would fit into the damn thing) so I scrapped it and got an Aero gas block and haven't had a single malfunction on either rifle since (only about 200 rounds through each).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Those look nice
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Will a clamp on style SLT sentry 8 adjustable gas block fit under my aero m5 hand guard (mlock)?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a link to the gas block you want to use?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got a link to the gas block you want to use?
View Quote
Sorry I had a error in my post. Meant to say SLR Sentry 8 clamp on.
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=624
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Sentry 8 should fit with no problem. I have a Sentry 9 under one of my MI handgaurds which should be smaller than the aero.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sentry 8 should fit with no problem. I have a Sentry 9 under one of my MI handgaurds which should be smaller than the aero.
View Quote
great. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am a lefty and as such I really like the Magpul BAD lever. I understand it won't fit on the Aero M5. However I saw that Lanbo's has the Phase 5 variant on sale and they made one compatible with the LR308 receivers. Has anybody used these before?
View Quote
Yep.  I'm using the one piece phase 5 for 308 on my Aero my without issue.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Can someone tell me where to get a upper parts kit for the m5?  Thnx
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can someone tell me where to get a upper parts kit for the m5?  Thnx
View Quote
Which parts are you looking for?

Ejection port door, pin and spring?  I used a strike dust cover from Brownells. http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j0l9r7onlr00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Frifle-parts%2Freceiver-parts%2Fejection-port-cover-parts%2Fejection-port-cover-assemblies%2F308-ar-ultimate-dust-cover-prod96323.aspx

Forward assist and spring are standard AR15 parts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Which parts are you looking for?

Ejection port door, pin and spring?  I used a strike dust cover from Brownells. http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j0la1o8rbz00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Frifle-parts%2Freceiver-parts%2Fejection-port-cover-parts%2Fejection-port-cover-assemblies%2F308-ar-ultimate-dust-cover-prod96323.aspx

Forward assist and spring are standard AR15 parts.
View Quote
Thank u.  

Im ordering all my parts.  BA barrel comes tomorrow, going w aero lpk, aero bcg and handguard, aero low pro gas block...

Any special tools i may need?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#20]
The main two tools that will be needed is some form of receiver block and a barrel nut wrench.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The main two tools that will be needed is some form of receiver block and a barrel nut wrench.
View Quote
Got it.  Thank u.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought vise blocks from here: PlastiXrevolution
I'm happy with them. Cost a lot less than what I was seeing elsewhere and the upper block holds everything very securely without having to worry about snapping the lugs off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:12:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well I installed mine and there is not a lot of clearance there with my CMC flat trigger. Maybe I need to put in a curved trigger.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Spikes st2 buffer work ok?

Standard ar15 spring?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well I installed mine and there is not a lot of clearance there with my CMC flat trigger. Maybe I need to put in a curved trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a pic of my Phase5 & Geissle SD-E. Personally I didn't have a problem with clearance, even with gloves.
I do place my finger very close to the bottom of trigger.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Spikes st2 buffer work ok?

Standard ar15 spring?
View Quote
No.  There are two primary paths when going for a 308 carbine.

1st is DPMS style with a standard AR15 length receiver extension (buffer tube) and a special short 308 buffer and short 308 carbine spring.

2nd is Armalite style with a standard AR15 length buffer (normally in H3 or higher weight) and a lengthened receiver extension (A5 length).  These use an Armalite style 308 spring or Sprinco Red spring.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

1st is DPMS style with a standard AR15 length receiver extension (buffer tube) and a special short 308 buffer and short 308 carbine spring.

2nd is Armalite style with a standard AR15 length buffer (normally in H3 or higher weight) and a lengthened receiver extension (A5 length).  These use an Armalite style 308 spring or Sprinco Red spring.
View Quote
Is Sprinco Red spring stronger or weaker than Armalite 308 spring (1095)? I got short stroke in my new M5 build and want to see if I can solve the problem by using a weaker spring. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not sure.  I think it would be very close and perhaps a little stronger.

You might try a DPMS 308 spring as it wouldn't reach full compression in an Armalite style 308 setup.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Got it.  Thnx.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#30]
bcg and some other stuff showed up today...  almost ready...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
bcg and some other stuff showed up today...  almost ready...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296599/IMG-1783-1--177360.JPG
View Quote
Looks nice! Which buffer system did you decide to go with?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Looks nice! Which buffer system did you decide to go with?
View Quote
dpms spring
Radical arms buffer

I gta make it a fixed mag top loader
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#33]
That sucks about the fixed mag crap.

I like the longer buffer system personally.  I think they have fewer problems.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#34]
What is the recommended barrel torque for a enhanced M5 upper with a 22" heavy barrel? I'll be using the Brownells reaction rod tool.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Now, use a trijicon 1-8 or a leupold 1-6.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice! I would go Trijicon 1-8 in a Super Precision mount.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Just wanted to let yall know aero has FDE m5 lowers in stock right now
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just wanted to let yall know aero has FDE m5 lowers in stock right now
View Quote
Builder kits also in FDE and Black too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#39]
I started my M5 build, shortly after the receivers were introduced. Installed the Phase 5 EBRV2/30 during the initial lower assembly. I've had no issues at all with it (looks good too!).

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Had some issues with my aero scope mount screws backing off every few mags yesterday. Yep, i used loctite, did nothing. I guess those little mounts dont like 308, who knows. Bought a set of Badger high rings, they oughta do the trick.

Think im at 8.5lbs right now

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Found out the "Aero" NIB 308 BCG is not high pressure (6.5 Creedmoor) compatible.

It would be nice if they called that out more prominently on their website.

Now I've got an email into Monmouth reloading asking for an exchange for the black nitride model.

Their NIB BCG appears almost identical to the toolcraft BCG I already have that blows holes in the primers. I really need the .070 firing pin diameter.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:10:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Found out the "Aero" NIB 308 BCG is not high pressure (6.5 Creedmoor) compatible.

Now I've got an email into Monmouth reloading asking for an exchange for the black nitride model.

Their NIB BCG appears almost identical to the toolcraft BCG I already have that blows holes in the primers. I really need the .070 firing pin diameter.
View Quote
Getta JP bolt.

Go fully broke and get their lmos carrier while you're at it. Its pretty noticeable on weight. No seriously, im not kidding, im probably never buying a non-LMOS carrier again, its that awesome.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#43]
trijicon on

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've had 0 issues with mine and I've put about 100rds through the gun. Did they tell you that it wasn't compatible?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've had 0 issues with mine and I've put about 100rds through the gun. Did they tell you that it wasn't compatible?
View Quote
I've already got a Toolcraft in this 26" build with the .075 firing pin. It blows holes in the primers. My other 24" 6.5 Creedmoor build has the Aero phosphate BCG with the smaller .070 firing pin and doesn't blow holes in the primers.

The Aero NIB BCG I was shipped appears almost identical to the Toolcraft I have. Machining on the carrier is exactly the same as the Toolcraft and quite a bit different from my other Aero BCG. It wouldn't surprise me if Toolcraft is cutting that BCG and Aero is selling them as Aero's after they're coated.

What length is your barrel? I think this issue shows up more on longer barrels because the primers spend more time under pressure.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a 20 and a 22.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Buddy with a WMD BCG in a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor had to swap to an Aero high pressure bcg because his was blowing holes as well.  I would keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
This may explain my issues as well. My Aero NiB BCG kept choking on my 6.5 Creedmoor Upper (22" BA Barrel). It would fail to eject rounds rather constantly. I reluctantly put that BCG back into my 20" .308 upper and it runs flawlessly. So I then drop a much lower cost ($130) Toolcraft Nitrided BCG into my creedmoor upper and it runs like a top. So I am not messing with it and just glad I had the extra parts on hand.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#49]
My bolt is not locking foward after firing a round.  

Any advice?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Sprinco Orange spring will probably provide enough extra juice to make sure it closes.

ETA: It's cycling far enough back to lock the bolt on the last shot?
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top