Magpul MIAD Grip
Seekins Mag Release Button on Armalite AR-10 Mag Catch
Aero M5 LPK
Geissele SD-C Trigger
Battle Arms Safety Selector

Upper Parts:

Aero M5 upper, complete
Aero BCG with FA serrations
BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 ( No fit or binding issues on mine)
BHW 18" Barrel cut to 16" and rethreaded by Adco.
AAC 51 T Muzzle Brake ( AAC 762-SD not pictured)
Rifle length gas tube
SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block
Harris BRM-S 6-9" Bipod
Larue Bipod Mount

Still need:
Fortis SWITCH 14" Rail (Should be here in a day or two)
Optic, undecided as of yet
Optic Mount
BUIS, thinking Magpul or KAC offset

Pics:

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:38:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Care to expound?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not trying to turn this into a hate thread but I was wondering if anyone else has to return an Aero M5 set like it did?

Care to expound?

I received a stripped 308(m5) upper lower set and the metal around the front pivot pin was smashed and dented in not letting the front pivot pin to seat all the way. Then upper and lower in the rear by the top of the lower stuck up an 1/8 higher than the upper. This would have created problems with the charging handle. I sent it back 11/20 and still do not even have a new set even though they said it was clearly out of spec. They say they are working on getting me a new set but it has been over a month and i am a dealer with them. It's starting to leave a bad taste. I have called and emailed them multiple times. I know in the end they will come through. Just taking longer than i would like.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I received a stripped 308(m5) upper lower set and the metal around the front pivot pin was smashed and dented in not letting the front pivot pin to seat all the way. Then upper and lower in the rear by the top of the lower stuck up an 1/8 higher than the upper. This would have created problems with the charging handle. I sent it back 11/20 and still do not even have a new set even though they said it was clearly out of spec. They say they are working on getting me a new set but it has been over a month and i am a dealer with them. It's starting to leave a bad taste. I have called and emailed them multiple times. I know in the end they will come through. Just taking longer than i would like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not trying to turn this into a hate thread but I was wondering if anyone else has to return an Aero M5 set like it did?

Care to expound?

My receiver is on its way to Aero because the bolt catch I received in the Aero LPK would not clear the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#4]
" />" />" />
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice paint job
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice paint job
View Quote

A bit on the glossy side for my tastes.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Scope will be a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32, FFP.  Just waiting on the mount.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice paint job

+1
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Done.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#10]
After 6 weeks I have a new lower set. It took longer than I would like but Aero made it right. I will post up pictures once it is finished.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]
It's been a long road, but I finally got to put this thing together.  Test firing will hopefully happen soon, the weather has been brutally cold lately.  Might get out this weekend as I should see some temps above freezing.

Aero receivers, 16" SS barrel, and BCG...

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's been a long road, but I finally got to put this thing together.  Test firing will hopefully happen soon, the weather has been brutally cold lately.  Might get out this weekend as I should see some temps above freezing.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/hammermill290/EBR/2015-01-09213140_zpscc2a470f.jpg
View Quote

Nice, similiar to what im thinking..How much does it weigh?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/hammermill290/EBR/2015-01-09213140_zpscc2a470f.jpg

Without the optic and mag, just under 8lbs.  It's a little heavier than I would really like, but it's balanced well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#14]
looks good.. mine weighs in just over 10lbs with scope...
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]
i had to dremel my charging handle to clear the upper

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Without the optic and mag, just under 8lbs.  It's a little heavier than I would really like, but it's balanced well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, not too bad..whos barrel?

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Again another nice build...details..
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aero Precision barrel.  The stripped barrel weighs 35.7 oz.  It looks like they've changed their 16" SS barrel profile some when I look at the website.  Not sure why...mine is a good bit lighter than what they have listed now.

By the way, complete rifle with the Leupy 3-9x and Larue mount is 9lbs 5oz.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Again another nice build...details..
View All Quotes

Lower Parts:
Aero M5 lower
KAC SR-15 Buffer Tube w/ QD Sling Mount
Slash's CAR-10 XH Buffer
Magpul STR Stock
Magpul MIAD Grip
Seekins Mag Release Button on Armalite AR-10 Mag Catch
Aero M5 LPK
Geissele SD-C Trigger

Upper Parts:

Aero M5 upper, complete
Aero BCG with FA serrations
BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 ( No fit or binding issues on mine)
BHW 18" Barrel cut to 16" and rethreaded by Adco.
AAC 51 T Muzzle Brake
AAC 762-SD Suppressor
Rifle length gas tube
SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block
Harris BRM-S 6-9" Bipod
Larue Bipod Mount
Fortis SWITCH 14" Rail (Should be here in a day or two)
KAC Micro Front & Rear BUIS
KAC Keymod Rail Covers
ADM Recon Scope Mount
Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32, FFP, mRad

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Making some progress.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey guys, I am still working on my m5 setup and will post pics real soon. Is a nikon buckmaster 4.5×14×40 a good option for this rifle? It will mostly be a range gun, maybe some hunting. I would like to get reach out a little more with this rifle as I already have 2 other .223 ar-15s. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#22]

I'm interested to see how that trigger works.  I'm building my rifle up now and want a good trigger, but don't care for two stage triggers.  Geiselle is the number one choice, but I don't see anything that they offer that is single stage.  That basically leaves JP and CMC that I can tell.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#23]

aero makes a nice set and I like it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:02:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/20141205_194108.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/20141205_194108.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8051.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8051.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8047.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8047.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/IMG_8037.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/IMG_8037.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/20141215_155800.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/20141215_155800.jpg</a>

aero makes a nice set and I like it.
View Quote

Is that a tripod with IR light attached? Could you give the details on it and how you use it? You can pm me. Thanks. Good looking rig.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:13:01 AM EDT
[#25]
yup thats a night spotter set up.  
I hunt coyotes with buddies and most don't have night set ups so if I want to have a shooter spotter combo at night I generally have to borrow out equipment.  You can see the christmas photo with my son the .223 rifle has a monocular in front of the day sight which is an odd configuration generally.  That is because it is not intended for that and I did not want to remove the day sight to move it back for a more proper forward mount.  In front the pvs14 can work fine you just leave it in no magnification.

The tripod has a leupold mk4 and mk4 kit from ashbury precision ordinance.  The stuff they make is stupid expensive but can be found used some times.  I got one of the chassis they make and it was amazingly built as well.

The tripod is a simple slick tripod that I got from precisionriflesolutions.com as part of the saddle kit they make.  They work great and you can actually see the saddle in that picture.  I cannibalized a photography light tripod that was small and weak and used it for a prone position saddle it is great for extended spotter work because the rifle can be laying down range without having stuff hanging off of it for longer shots through grass that require you to hold the rifle up yourself.

On top of the tripod is a mk4 spotter with the pvs14 coupler.  This works relatively well but a 14 with a 3 or 6x magnifier can work great as well.  What is on the side is generally hard to come by but it is a laser illuminator.  To be honest I don't use it in that capacity.  instead I have been using a streamlight IR tac flashlight that is for me as good as a tnvc torch but half the price and a crimson trace ir laser that sits on the rail.  So as a spotter I can spot something then fire the laser and see it through the spotting scope to talk the shooter on.  Generally my mega build gets to do most of the shooting.  It is in 6.5 creedmoor and there is some talk about it some where else in here.

Both are great guns.  The aero kits are nice and the fact that they cost half as much as the mega is even better.  I suggest everyone remember the savings and put it towards a trigger.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm interested to see how that trigger works.  I'm building my rifle up now and want a good trigger, but don't care for two stage triggers.  Geiselle is the number one choice, but I don't see anything that they offer that is single stage.  That basically leaves JP and CMC that I can tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I prefer 2-stage triggers myself on my target rifles. Buddy of mine has a CMC Single Stage 3.5-4#. It's nice but not really my flavor. This one feels amazing. But the test is gonna be when I go to shoot it when the rifle is complete.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Mine is done...well kind of. I received my aero nib bcg yesterday.  I would like to upgrade my bipod and maybe use another scope and mount.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Can anyone attest yet to the accuracy you're getting out of the Aero 308 barrels?  I'm SUPER interested, but I just can't seem to find any real data out there.  I really hope they're good, as I want to give them a chance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Can anyone attest yet to the accuracy you're getting out of the Aero 308 barrels?  I'm SUPER interested, but I just can't seem to find any real data out there.  I really hope they're good, as I want to give them a chance.
View Quote

THIS guy is getting really good results with a Ranier barrel. I'm leaning toward this as well in 16", may get a wild hair and go with a 12.5 SBR for suppressor use.

Browse through this thread to see his groups.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

THIS guy is getting really good results with a Ranier barrel. I'm leaning toward this as well in 16", may get a wild hair and go with a 12.5 SBR for suppressor use.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've actually come across that thread, and have been impressed.  It'd be nice if Rainier made those barrels with a rifle length gas system, but oh well.  

However, I just find it interesting that no one has reported on the accuracy of their Aero Precision barrel(s).  I see the Aero 308 Stainless barrels are sold out quite a bit, so obviously people are buying them, but I'd just like to see how well they shoot.  After seeing all the success with the Ranier barrels, it's temping to just go that route regardless, but I'd like to give the Aero barrels a chance.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I called Aero yesterday and confirmed that their barrels are made by their sister/acquired company, "Ballistic Advantage".  I've heard good things about those barrels, so that's nice.  If you're using an M5E1 type of upper with the Keymod rail, it comes with a custom barrel nut and can be torqued with a 1 and 1/16th crows foot wrenched, torqued to 65ft lbs.

When the stainless 18" 308 barrels are back in stock, I'll order one and post some results one of these days.  The guy on the phone said to expect Sub MOA accuracy, which is good enough for me!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:45:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Where are all the pics..
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:35:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Awesome post and builds, just ordered my 308 set and slowly working out a list for it.....

kinda stuck on a few things

takedown and pivot pin, mag and bolt catch

Also what buffer and spring to use...

Plan on using a B5 or similair
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Awesome post and builds, just ordered my 308 set and slowly working out a list for it.....

View Quote

Use the aero 308 lower parts kit that Aero sells, I plan on using a slash buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Use the aero 308 lower parts kit that Aero sells, I plan on using a slash buffer and spring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Aero lpk still doesn't solve the mag release issue. I bought the kit and still had to spend more money for an Armalite mag release
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Aero lpk still doesn't solve the mag release issue. I bought the kit and still had to spend more money for an Armalite mag release
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. I used a seekins billet mag release button.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Aero M5 Upper and lower. Tactical Ambush 16" barrel, UTG Pro Slim 13" HG. I since gone with a Manticore Nightbrake and a Bushnell AR223 4.5-18x40
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/nsnate02/Guns/IMG_20141114_083410.jpg
View Quote

Nice looking rifle.

What stock is that?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya,
mine works with a Armalite AR10 mag release bar and a DS arms button/spring
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Bump for pics
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Im about to do a writeup on a relatively cheap 18" barrel that im expecting good results from. I will let you guys know soon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 5:02:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:01:48 AM EDT
[#42]
how much longer is the armalite mag release than a standard? put mine together with a standard mag release and the mags seemed to lock up fine but after cycling a few rounds the mags would just drop out....guess i need a slightly stiffer spring as well. side note having the paddle release on or off didn't make a difference as far as lock up was concerned
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
how much longer is the armalite mag release than a standard? put mine together with a standard mag release and the mags seemed to lock up fine but after cycling a few rounds the mags would just drop out....guess i need a slightly stiffer spring as well. side note having the paddle release on or off didn't make a difference as far as lock up was concerned
<a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/user/coolboarder987/media/IMG_0161-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/coolboarder987/IMG_0161-1.jpg</a>
View Quote

The Armalite mag release is just a little longer not a lot. I thought it was going to be longer. Haven't done a function test yet but looks as if it will work just fine.

I'm thinking I might still get a bigger button to go along with it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#44]
What issues are you guys having with the standard mag release? I used a DPMS LPK and a Seekins button and yeah its not threaded all the way but it works just fine
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#45]
My problem ended up being a weak spring... with how far out the button has to be the spring is not compressed enough to put enough tension on the mag. i took mine out and checked a few springs and was able to find a long enough spring with enough tension that it should work now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've built 5-6 rifles on these receivers. Nothing but success.
View Quote

I have one of your SENTRY 7 RAILED GAS BLOCKS and I have to say it is the icing on the cake!  You outdone yourselves
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nice looking rifle.

What stock is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aero M5 Upper and lower. Tactical Ambush 16" barrel, UTG Pro Slim 13" HG. I since gone with a Manticore Nightbrake and a Bushnell AR223 4.5-18x40
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/nsnate02/Guns/IMG_20141114_083410.jpg

Nice looking rifle.

What stock is that?

Ergo F93. It was originally made by Magpul many years ago.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm a huge Aero Precision fan but it's too bad they didn't make the front of the mag well the same angle as the mag on these. Detracts from the whole rifle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:53:24 AM EDT
[#49]
So what is the solution on the mag catch? Is it the Armalite AR10 Mag catch and spring with a closed end button? How much longer is the stud on the Armalite AR10 mag catch vs. the Aeroprecision piece from their M5 LPK? Does the Armalite AR10 mag catch fully thread a standard mag release button? If not, how many threads is it short? What is the best solution?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey guy,

I decided to post my build. I posted some specs below and what I plan on getting to finish it up. Any feed back or comments would be appreciated. My mag release seems to be working fine and holding the mags in as of right now. Still need to shoot the rifle and see if anything will change.
Thanks. These are some great looking rifles.

Budget: lets say $2000 with out glass, around $2500 with.
Aero assembled upper
Aero lower
Trigger: Geissele (SSA-E)
Stock configuration: Magpul CTR
Lower Parts Kit: CMMG
Bolt system: Aero Nib BCG
Phase 5 308 tactical bolt catch
Odin works xmr extended mag release

Still Need
Barrel length: 20" Rainier Arms Match w/ 1:10 twist
Rail system: Rainer Arms/Fortis switch rail
Glass: I need to look and see what would be best. Maybe a NIKON M-308, not sure.
Maybe some iron sights as well, not sure in this either  

Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top