Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 82
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Aero build number five completed... this time, she ran 100% from the start, no tweaks required.

Did this one in the discontinued Magpul foliage green, and because I was so impressed with the BA 16" SS barrel's performance from another build, I chose it for this build.

Not sure on optics... the other four have the following: MK IV 4.5-14x50, MK IV 1.5-6x20, TA11E ACOG, and an Aimpoint PRO.

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great looking build!  Let us know how the Rainier barrel shoots!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got everything put together this weekend.  Wont get to shoot until next weekend.  Hoping everything functions well.
https://goo.gl/Z8uj4s
Great looking build!  Let us know how the Rainier barrel shoots!
Range Report:

When out this morning to shoot.  Went through 100 rounds, 100% function after I got the gas block dialed in.  Took about 5 rounds to get the SLR7 block set.  I used a few magpul mags and a DPMS mag, without issue.

Started out shooting 147gr HERT and was getting 3-5in groups at 100yrds.  Tried out some Monarch 150gr soft points I have had for forever and it shot great, surprisingly enough.  Was consistent around 2-3in groups.  Also shot some Serria Match King 168gr, with significantly better performance, groups at 1.25-2in.  All in all I am very happy and want to spend some more time getting comfortable.  I was shooting 5 shot groups.  I know the rifle/barrel is certainly capable of being sub-MOA, but at this point I am not a sub-MOA shooter.  Certainly not consistent enough to put 5 shots sub-MOA.   Hell, this was my first time shooting a rifle in several months.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Range Report:

When out this morning to shoot.  Went through 100 rounds, 100% function after I got the gas block dialed in.  Took about 5 rounds to get the SLR7 block set.  I used a few magpul mags and a DPMS mag, without issue.

Started out shooting 147gr HERT and was getting 3-5in groups at 100yrds.  Tried out some Monarch 150gr soft points I have had for forever and it shot great, surprisingly enough.  Was consistent around 2-3in groups.  Also shot some Serria Match King 168gr, with significantly better performance, groups at 1.25-2in.  All in all I am very happy and want to spend some more time getting comfortable.  I was shooting 5 shot groups.  I know the rifle/barrel is certainly capable of being sub-MOA, but at this point I am not a sub-MOA shooter.  Certainly not consistent enough to put 5 shots sub-MOA.   Hell, this was my first time shooting a rifle in several months.
View Quote
Sounds like you have good rifle!  Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]

I went with the Proof Research SS barrel.  Superlative gas blocks are on back order but I like everything so far.  M5 builders combo.  Aero BCG.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Just ordered the M5 builder's set after reading this thread.  3 days off and on!  Lots of solid information.

Thanks everyone for sharing your ups and downs.

I'm leaning toward a 16" BA Hanson profile barrel, SLR adjustable gas block and a TA11H ACOG or an Aimpoint PRO.
VLTOR RE10-A5SR w/ an H2 buffer / Sprinco Orange action spring.  Aero phosphate BCG.  Mid-length gas tube.

No decision on the stock.  I have and like Magpul's Fixed Carbine Stock and STR.  I also have A1 and A2 fixed stock ARs.  Maybe a VLTOR EMOD or IMOD stock.

The lower parts kit from Aero looks good.  I planned to use a Geissele trigger but this will not be a precision build and the Aero trigger is getting nice reviews for an OEM trigger.  The bolt stop/release is concerning though.   DPMS or V seven S7 tool steel are options.

BCM charging handle.  I have the medium on 4 AR's now and like it.  Will the medium work on the Aero A5 or would the large handle be a better choice with the .308 carrier/spring?  Opinions?

BCM pistol grip w/ back strap.  I like them.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/styger17/media/IMG_20170715_174112_1.jpg.html][/URL]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just ordered the M5 builder's set after reading this thread.  3 days off and on!  Lots of solid information.

I'm leaning toward a 16" BA Hanson profile barrel, SLR adjustable gas block and a TA11H ACOG or an Aimpoint PRO.
VLTOR RE10-A5SR w/ an H2 buffer / Sprinco Orange action spring.  Aero phosphate BCG.  Mid-length gas tube.

No decision on the stock.  I have and like Magpul's Fixed Carbine Stock and STR.  I also have A1 and A2 fixed stock ARs.  Maybe a VLTOR EMOD or IMOD stock.

The lower parts kit from Aero looks good.  I planned to use a Geissele trigger but this will not be a precision build and the Aero trigger is getting nice reviews for an OEM trigger.  The bolt stop/release is concerning though.   DPMS or V seven S7 tool steel are options.

BCM charging handle.  I have the medium on 4 AR's now and like it.  Will the medium work on the Aero A5 or would the large handle be a better choice with the .308 carrier/spring?  Opinions?

Thanks again!
View Quote
I didn't find the Aero trigger anything to write home about. Nothing wrong with it. It's about like any other mil-spec, though maybe a little better. It was the first thing I changed in mine (to a Geissele, coincidentally). You're right on the bolt catch. Some have problems with breakage (I haven't yet), and the DPMS bolt catch usually solves the problem. The Seekins enhanced bolt catch will not work with an Aero upper (will install on the lower fine, but there's interference with the upper when it's installed), in case you were thinking of one of those.

I have the BCM Mod 3 (large) charging handle. I'd actually go with the medium if I did it again. The large handle works fine but sticks out further than I'd really like.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I didn't find the Aero trigger anything to write home about. Nothing wrong with it. It's about like any other mil-spec, though maybe a little better. It was the first thing I changed in mine (to a Geissele, coincidentally). You're right on the bolt catch. Some have problems with breakage (I haven't yet), and the DPMS bolt catch usually solves the problem. The Seekins enhanced bolt catch will not work with an Aero upper (will install on the lower fine, but there's interference with the upper when it's installed), in case you were thinking of one of those.

I have the BCM Mod 3 (large) charging handle. I'd actually go with the medium if I did it again. The large handle works fine but sticks out further than I'd really like.
View Quote
I year you on the trigger. Changed mine to ALG ACT with JP enterprises reduced power Springs. Breaks right at 3lbs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]

I cant embed the photo?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Photobucket is all effed up now. Can't embed anywhere without paying them a ton of money for their upgraded services. Imgur works pretty good for now.

ETA: Your build looks good so far. Some of these builds I've been seeing have me thinking my next one will have to be something in FDE. That Luth-AR stock is really growing on me too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
An adjustable gas block will fix the broken bolt catch issue. I read all about that and put an SLR adjustable gas block on mine before taking the first shot. I'll be running my SD-N6 on it and needed an adjustable gas block anyways.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Just received a tracking number from Schuyler Arms for my upper/lower/handguard!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Just picked up my stripped lower yesterday. Can I use any FCG or do I need a .308 specific trigger?  I know the lpk has some M5 only items. 

Also, recommendations for a 20in precisionish .308 barrel that won't break the bank(under 500)
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just picked up my stripped lower yesterday. Can I use any FCG or do I need a .308 specific trigger?  I know the lpk has some M5 only items. 

Also, recommendations for a 20in precisionish .308 barrel that won't break the bank(under 500)
View Quote
Standard FCG will work.

For a barrel, I'd look at Ballistic Advantage... affordable and accurate.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:46:19 AM EDT
[#16]
How worried should I be about head space?

Planning on Ballistic advantage barrel, Aero Nickel Carrier and JP enhanced bolt.

I dont have the tools to assemble the gun myself and will be having a smith do it anyway.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my 6.5CM Aero assembly back from cerakote, reassembled it.  Rezeroed it, and she's turning out to be a shooter.

Swapped my VG6 Gamma out with a Silencerco ASR brake mount now that my Omega is out of jail

Shot three at a different target,  adjusted the scope, shot the five shot group at the center, adjusted three more clicks (down and left) and shot the bottom right one.

With Hornady ELD-X extreme hunters shooting this nicely, I'm not sure if I need to start reloading for this just yet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#18]
How much are these 16" builds typically weighing with out optics?  I have an uncle that wants one but weight is a big issue for him
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Any potential problems with a 20in barrel/rifle gas on a carbine length buffer assembly?  I'm thinking about doing adjustable gas, JP BCG, and JP SCS. But this is all new to me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How much are these 16" builds typically weighing with out optics?  I have an uncle that wants one but weight is a big issue for him
View Quote
The 15" M-lok M5e1 I assembled with Faxon 16" med taper barrel and SI Kingcomp came to about 8.25 lbs naked.
My PA-10 gen1 with Odin Works 15.5" M-lok with Faxon 16" pencil barrel and SI Kingcomp comes in at about 7.10 lbs naked.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Any potential problems with a 20in barrel/rifle gas on a carbine length buffer assembly?  I'm thinking about doing adjustable gas, JP BCG, and JP SCS. But this is all new to me.
View Quote
You should be able to get it to work fine. I'd worry about that setup being pretty front-heavy though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#22]
What's the consensus on the M5 Enhanced uppers?  The biggest problem I see with it is that it ties you down to the Aero handguards.  Other than that it looks like an excellent design.

With that said, do you guys feel the Aero FF ha guards are good to go?  Are there any issues with them?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What's the consensus on the M5 Enhanced uppers?  The biggest problem I see with it is that it ties you down to the Aero handguards.  Other than that it looks like an excellent design.

With tha said do guys feel the Aero FF ha guards are good to go?  Are there any issues with them?
View Quote
I don't have an enhanced upper but I like the aero handguard

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

With tha said do guys feel the Aero FF ha guards are good to go?  Are there any issues with them?
View Quote

I've said it before, it's the closest thing you can get to a monolithic upper without paying a monolithic price.  
It truly is an excellent design.  Absolutely rock solid, and the handguard and rail match up perfectly with the upper.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

With that said, do you guys feel the Aero FF ha guards are good to go?  Are there any issues with them?
View Quote
Weight and size are the more common complaints I've seen. It's definitely not the lightest setup out there. Mine with 20" barrel, 15" handguard, Magpul PRS stock, and a scope is over 12 lbs. The handguard is pretty chunky too. Some guys don't care for that, but I quite like it myself. Otherwise, it's a nice setup and pretty solid. Really easy to put together too if you're assembling the upper yourself.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I read through this thread multiple times before I got fed up and pulled the trigger on a lower! Less than a day after ordering from Schuyler Arms I already have a tracking number. Can't wait to see how this pans out! You can only build so many 5.56 or 300BLK before you just have to go bigger.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Crappy ipotato pic. But you get the idea.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#28]
AP is out of the lower parts kit for the AR10, can anyone suggest another parts kit that will work with there upper and lower

Thanks
Greg
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:10:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Aero Precision M5 (.308) Lower Parts Kit

I've ordered from him a few times. he's good to go.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Aero Precision M5 (.308) Lower Parts Kit

I've ordered from him a few times. he's good to go.
View Quote
Thanks,appreciated
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks again!
View Quote
Reading too many good things about Criterion Barrels and changed up my build a bit.  Out w/ the BA Hanson profile and in w/ the Criterion 16" Hybrid Contour.  Order placed tonight.

This is now officially a piecemeal build!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Just picked up my lower from my local gun shop that AP shipped it to.
Had the upper parts in the mailbox when I got home.
The fit of the upper to lower was very impressive.
Charge handle and BCG fit was also very nice.
Forward assist, piece of cake.
Dust cover, not so much so.
Will not close unless I depress the detent in a ways with a toothpick, once closed it opens relatively easy.
Not to impressed with the finish either.
I would rather spend a few more bucks on something that fits and looks better.
Any suggestions from those of you who may have been down this path would be appreciated.

Thanks, Greg
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok, found out that I can very efficiently close it with my thumbnail and forefinger.
No big deal "sometimes it just bees that way" I guess.
Onward and upward
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ok, found out that I can very efficiently close it with my thumbnail and forefinger.
No big deal "sometimes it just bees that way" I guess.
Onward and upward
View Quote
It'll work normally after you do it a few times. I've had that happen on several Ar15 uppers of various make.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

Potato pic.

Aero everything except the SLR adjustable gas block and nitride gas tube.

16" Hanson barrel

Initial accuracy testing looks really good.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435001/20170813_122433-291969.JPG

Potato pic.

Aero everything except the SLR adjustable gas block and nitride gas tube.

16" Hanson barrel

Initial accuracy testing looks really good.
View Quote
That is a very unique and nice looking build.
Reminds me of a time I was turkey hunting and set down my camo coated Benneli  and it literally took my 5 minutes to find it
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#37]
So........  WHat is the best round for the ballistic advantage barrel? I haven't had time to get out a lot, or pick up ammo I have 4 rounds I think.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Reading too many good things about Criterion Barrels and changed up my build a bit.  Out w/ the BA Hanson profile and in w/ the Criterion 16" Hybrid Contour.  Order placed tonight.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again!

Ordered some stuff over the last couple days->

-LaRue MBT-2s trigger.  Ordered last Wednesday @ the 'Don't need it now price'.  Shipped on Friday with the sale price.  Thanks LaRue!  Saved me $25 on a trigger I had already decided I wanted.
-Magpul UBR2 stock, 2x20s and 1x10 mags
-H2 buffer, Sprinco Orange spring
-BCM Mod 3 pistol grip, medium 7.62 charging handle
-SLR Series 7 adjustable gas block
-mid length gas tube w/pin, and A2 flash hider w/ crush washer
-AP parked BCG and lower parts kit  w/o gip & fcg
-Forward Controls Design mag release buttons (EMR-C & EMR)  I keep reading of issues w/ the AP mag release button being flush in the lower.  Either of these parts will bring the mag release to a useful height.  And a nice guy to boot!

And a chamber brush for an AR10 .308!

Might have everything by Friday and assembled, if the stars align!
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#40]
I also orders MBT on Wed. with the" I am in no hurry" option.
Friday I received an email from Larue saying they were on sale and that they had some stock on hand.
I sent them an email asking if they could tell me when mine would ship.
Received an email back with tracking number and they gave me the sale price also, was not expecting that.
Also ordered my SLR gas block Wed from the SLR website, nothing back on shipping though.
All other parts will be here by the end of the week, cant wait
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got a bunch of parts back from cerakote and I'm starting to assemble. Two issues I may have already. Does anyone have a Geissele maritime bolt catch installed. It fits but isn't moving. Also installed a Strike Industries enhanced mag catch. The button is only engaging the threads by a few turns. Is this normal for either part? Hate to have hit a wall already.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just got a bunch of parts back from cerakote and I'm starting to assemble. Two issues I may have already. Does anyone have a Geissele maritime bolt catch installed. It fits but isn't moving. Also installed a Strike Industries enhanced mag catch. The button is only engaging the threads by a few turns. Is this normal for either part? Hate to have hit a wall already.
View Quote
If the screw is only engaging a few turns, that usually means the catch isn't lining up properly in order for the bolt catch screw to fully screw into place. I had the same problem when I installed a Phase 5 bolt release. Try re-aligning the catch, and start trying to screw it back in, moving the bolt catch while you are doing so.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Sorry, I should have separated my paragraph. The magazine catch installed, but the button is only engaged by a few turns. It doesn't seem to stick out very far either. I thought this was one of the interchangeable parts?

The bolt catch also installed without issue. The little set screw (instead of roll pin) screwed right in with no problem. The issue is that the bolt catch doesn't really move as it should. Again, should be an interchangeable part right?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sorry, I should have separated my paragraph. The magazine catch installed, but the button is only engaged by a few turns. It doesn't seem to stick out very far either. I thought this was one of the interchangeable parts?

The bolt catch also installed without issue. The little set screw (instead of roll pin) screwed right in with no problem. The issue is that the bolt catch doesn't really move as it should. Again, should be an interchangeable part right?
View Quote
Photo's would help, IE: Assembled, parts set to the side, etc... It could be that the spring is worn (unless it is a brand new one), also make sure the bolt catch buffer is installed as well. Pull the bolt catch assembly out, and try to install just the bolt catch screw all the way in until it's flush, that rules out that piece as the culprit, then install the rest. It's a start.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll try again here in a little bit. Sitting down with a drink right now. Also just found out that the Larue APEG does not fit either. Even got the 308 one. The bevertail area is too high so there's about a quarter inch gap at the top of the grip and base of the receiver where the detent and springs would be.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Photo's would help, IE: Assembled, parts set to the side, etc... It could be that the spring is worn (unless it is a brand new one), also make sure the bolt catch buffer is installed as well. Pull the bolt catch assembly out, and try to install just the bolt catch screw all the way in until it's flush, that rules out that piece as the culprit, then install the rest. It's a start.
View Quote
I just tried it again. The bottom of the bolt catch button is sitting flush against the receiver. No room to push it in and carry out it's intended purpose...
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I just tried it again. The bottom of the bolt catch button is sitting flush against the receiver. No room to push it in and carry out it's intended purpose...
View Quote
Have you tried just a regular bolt catch, and a regular pistol grip? Some grips may not fit because of the curvature, I know my MOE+ was a little off, but I took a heat gun to it, very briefly. If the regular bolt catch works, than you might need to call Geissele &/or Aero to try to figure out why it won't work. That's the best I can do without actually seeing pictures/or the parts myself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The magazine catch installed, but the button is only engaged by a few turns. It doesn't seem to stick out very far either. I thought this was one of the interchangeable parts?

The issue is that the bolt catch doesn't really move as it should. Again, should be an interchangeable part right?
View Quote
the Aero M5 mag catch button is extra extra tall to allow use with the readily-available short stud length of the std AR-15 mag catch.  if you don't want to use the Aero M5-specific mag catch button, you could alternatively use the DPMS LR-308-specific mag release, which has the extra long stud instead.  one or the other, either the very tall button, or the very long stud.

also, the whole Aero-DPMS platform bolt catch scenario is well documented.  the AR-15 part doesn't work in the Aero M5.  if you don't want to use the Aero M5 part, then a solution that works is the DPMS LR-308 specific bolt catch.  i don't know of other bolt catches that function in the Aero M5 platform, i haven't looked lately, but others may.

with respect to the Aero M5 platform, i've found that the DPMS-length pivot pins, and take-down pins don't function well.  I recall the front pivot pin was too short, it fits, but it doesn't protrude from the lower rcvr, so it's difficult to push in without a tool.  if you don't mind using a tool every time, then you're all set.  on the rear take down pin, from my experience, the detent recesses in the pin aren't in the right place so that you don't get the pin to lock in place.  it can be fixed with a dremel very small grinding bit.

your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I've got a few parts laying around or on other rifles. I may swap some stuff around and see what I can remedy before buying new parts. I guess this is part of the fun of building a .308?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'll try again here in a little bit. Sitting down with a drink right now. Also just found out that the Larue APEG does not fit either. Even got the 308 one. The bevertail area is too high so there's about a quarter inch gap at the top of the grip and base of the receiver where the detent and springs would be.
View Quote

According to Aero Precision, the standard AR15 grip is what fits their M5 lower.  If you have a standard APEG laying around, it should fit fine.
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top