Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sprinco Orange spring will probably provide enough extra juice to make sure it closes.

ETA: It's cycling far enough back to lock the bolt on the last shot?
View Quote
Yep.  Im shooting 150's

I will get the Sprinco orange
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Limited Edition Urban Tiger Stripe Builder Set

These just went live today. 15" Keymod and MLOK available. They also have a magpul grip and two magpul stocks coated in same finish for extra.

$599
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep.  Im shooting 150's

I will get the Sprinco orange
View Quote
I think nokick normally has the Sprinco's for $20 delivered.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think nokick normally has the Sprinco's for $20 delivered.
View Quote
Ordered it right from sprinco.  Thank u.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone see any issues with following build specs?

M5E1 builder set
18" BA premium 308
SLR adj gas block
Aero nitride gas tube
BA Aero phosphate bcg
Aero CH
Aero rifle buffer kit
Luth ar stock
Aero LPK
Larue trigger
Ergo tac grip

Will be run suppressed almost always with 160s-170s weights

I wanted to do a BA 20" 6.5 creedmoor (run factory ammo only) but most issues I read about are those trying to tweak large frame 6.5's

I know with my list above I will get a DPMS bolt catch if mine breaks. I hope the standard rifle spring and buffer coupled with adj gas block will be fine suppressed. Would like ambi CH but need to research comparability.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I would get the Aero Phosphate 308 BCG over the BA, simply because of the .070 firing pin.  But it really shouldn't make any difference on a .308.

I've used a MBT in my Aero build and it worked well.  I like Sprinco Red springs for rifle stocked 308 builds.  My BCM charging handle fit great in my M5 upper.  My PRI gas buster had to be sanded to fit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would get the Aero Phosphate 308 BCG over the BA, simply because of the .070 firing pin.  But it really shouldn't make any difference on a .308.

I've used a MBT in my Aero build and it worked well.  I like Sprinco Red springs for rifle stocked 308 builds.  My BCM charging handle fit great in my M5 upper.  My PRI gas buster had to be sanded to fit.
View Quote
Thank you. BCM would be my first choice. Thought I saw last year that there were clearance issues with those. Glad they work now. I would've thought BA BCG would also have the .070 as AP but thanks for bringing to my attention. I'll get the Aero one instead. Will look at the red spring as well.

I'll also keep researching the 20" 6.5 BA barrel. I would love if it would run suppressed with the factory Hornady 140's I already use. If not, FGGM in 308 at .78c vs $1.10 will be perfect. Just punching holes in paper.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thank you. BCM would be my first choice. Thought I saw last year that there were clearance issues with those. Glad they work now. I would've thought BA BCG would also have the .070 as AP but thanks for bringing to my attention. I'll get the Aero one instead. Will look at the red spring as well.

I'll also keep researching the 20" 6.5 BA barrel. I would love if it would run suppressed with the factory Hornady 140's I already use. If not, FGGM in 308 at .78c vs $1.10 will be perfect. Just punching holes in paper.
View Quote
Yeah, first thing I did was check BA's website.  That's where I saw they weren't listing the "High Pressure" feature and the carrier's cuts look like Toolcraft cuts, not Aero cuts.

Here is an Aero 308 phosphate BCG.

Here is an Aero 308 NIB bcg that appears to be made by toolcraft. These have the larger .070 firing pin hole.

Here is a Ballistic Advantage 308 BCG.

Here is a Toolcraft 308 BCG.

Notice that the Toolcraft BCG, Aero NIB and Ballistic Advantage BCG all have very similar carrier profiles.  My guess is that Aero/BA is buying these from Toolcraft rather than building them.  If Aero was building it in house it would have the profile of their phosphate and black nitride carriers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll have to fix the pictures later. Arfcom screwed them up by making them an avantlink  I pulled them straight from Aero Precision's website.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Aero currently has 15% off a good number of their upper and lower parts including the LPKs and 308 BCGs
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Springco orange spring arrived.  Hope this works.

Ive heard of them not locking the bolt back....  
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Springco orange spring arrived.  Hope this works.

Ive heard of them not locking the bolt back....  
View Quote
I think my build may end up similar to yours. Have a few questions if you don't mind.

18" BA barrel? What gas length?
Adjustable gas block?
Which Aero BCG did you go with?
You're using DPMS standard carbine length receiver extension with (now) sprinco spring and Radical 308 carbine buffer?

I'm planning on 18" rifle length BA barrel, nitride Aero BCG, adj gas block and the Aero carbine receiver extension and their spring/308 buffer (changed last minute from rifle length fixed stock set up).

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think my build may end up similar to yours. Have a few questions if you don't mind.

18" BA barrel? What gas length?
Adjustable gas block?
Which Aero BCG did you go with?
You're using DPMS standard carbine length receiver extension with (now) sprinco spring and Radical 308 carbine buffer?

I'm planning on 18" rifle length BA barrel, nitride Aero BCG, adj gas block and the Aero carbine receiver extension and their spring/308 buffer (changed last minute from rifle length fixed stock set up).

Thanks
View Quote
Im no expert, I had to ask many questions...  

mid length gas
i run a standard aero gas block, seems fine
aero phosphate bcg, also works fine.  
yes on the buffer and spring, will try to try it out this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Im no expert, I had to ask many questions...  

mid length gas
i run a standard aero gas block, seems fine
aero phosphate bcg, also works fine.  
yes on the buffer and spring, will try to try it out this weekend.
View Quote
Thank you. Look forward to hearing the range results.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#15]
How reliable are these Aero M5 builds?  Do they go bang everytime?  
I've wanted a .308 AR forever.. and was saving up for a LMT but at $3000 it will probably never happen.
I've priced out the following build copying a few others suggestions in this thread.. and wanted to know what you guys thought before pulling the trigger (pun intended!)

$470 - Aero M5E1 builder in black w/15" MLOK rail
$90 - Aero LPK
$140 - Geissele GS2 trigger
$220 - Magpul PRS stock
$20 - Magpul MOE grip
$50 - Aero Rifle buffer kit
$210 - BA 18" .308 rifle length barrel
$225 - Aero complete BCG in NB
$115 - SLR adjustable gas block
$60 - POF USA .308 Archangel Ambi CH
$35 - Aero barrel nut
$10 - Aero forward assist
$15 - Aero ejection port cover
$15 - Aero gas tube
$15 - 20rnd .308 PMAG
$100 - AAC Brakeout 2.0 FH/Brake (I already have the AAC 762SDN6 can and need a 51T mount)

=$1,800 total.. $1200 cheaper than the LMT MWS .308 dream gun.   And I get to use an 18" barrel.. where LMT only offers 16 or 20" barrels.
Technically speaking I can get a used LMT MWS for around $2,000.. but I'm still stuck with that 16" barrel.  
Best part about the Aero M5 is that I only need to buy the build kit and LPK now.. and can pick up everything else as times goes.  
Plus the more money I save, the more I can spend more on nice glass.

Am I missing anything from this build?  
Any changes you guys would recommend?
Any reason this build wouldn't match in the LMT in reliability? (I know it wont match it in overall quality.. but I don't want a gun that doesnt run 100%.. already been there with an expensive Daniel Defense custom 5.56 build)
Any reason to expect less than 1MOA accuracy?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How reliable are these Aero M5 builds?  Do they go bang everytime?  
I've wanted a .308 AR forever.. and was saving up for a LMT but at $3000 it will probably never happen.
I've priced out the following build copying a few others suggestions in this thread.. and wanted to know what you guys thought before pulling the trigger (pun intended!)

$470 - Aero M5E1 builder in black w/15" MLOK rail
$90 - Aero LPK
$140 - Geissele GS2 trigger
$220 - Magpul PRS stock
$20 - Magpul MOE grip
$50 - Aero Rifle buffer kit
$210 - BA 18" .308 rifle length barrel
$225 - Aero complete BCG in NB
$115 - SLR adjustable gas block
$60 - POF USA .308 Archangel Ambi CH
$35 - Aero barrel nut
$10 - Aero forward assist
$15 - Aero ejection port cover

$15 - Aero gas tube
$15 - 20rnd .308 PMAG
$100 - AAC Brakeout 2.0 FH/Brake (I already have the AAC 762SDN6 can and need a 51T mount)

=$1,800 total.. $1200 cheaper than the LMT...

Am I missing anything from this build?  
Any changes you guys would recommend?
Any reason this build wouldn't match in the LMT in reliability? ...
View Quote
The items in bold won't be needed. The builder kits come with upper receiver already installed with forward assist and port door and the kit comes with barrel nut (at least my M4E1 set did and the M5 seem to as well).

Also since you're using a magpul grip and G trigger, get the LPK w/o fire control group and grip. It's only $45 and currently an extra 15% off (making it $38).

Link to LPK w/o grip and FCG
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The items in bold won't be needed. The builder kits come with upper receiver already installed with forward assist and port door and the kit comes with barrel nut (at least my M4E1 set did and the M5 seem to as well).

Also since you're using a magpul grip and G trigger, get the LPK w/o fire control group and grip. It's only $45 and currently an extra 15% off (making it $38).

Link to LPK w/o grip and FCG
View Quote
Awesome!! :)
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Springco orange spring did not resolve my issue.  

It almost seems the bolt is too tight.  It sticks like crazy, ive lubed n shot a bunch.  Still failing to push the bolt completely closed.  

Opinions?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Closes just fine with no ammunition?

Might be a headspace issue.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Closes just fine with no ammunition?

Might be a headspace issue.
View Quote
Not really.  Still sticky, hard to pull bolt back.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#21]
How many cycles on the rifle?

If not very many, I would probably try hand cycling several hundred cycles and see if it smooths out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How many cycles on the rifle?

If not very many, I would probably try hand cycling several hundred cycles and see if it smooths out.
View Quote
Less than 100rds.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#23]
It may very well be a headspace issue.  

I have no idea how to fix headspace.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#24]
i ended up with a 308 barrel once with too tight of headspace (reputable mfr also).  first of all, caused me to buy several sets (different mfrs) of headspace gauges to verify.  then ended up buying a Live Pilot Finish Chamber Reamer ($130 Brownells).  a couple of very careful twists with that (twist, check, cutting oil, repeat), and it now headspaced beautifully.

yup, i know, that's the "wrong way", shoulda just returned the barrel to the mfr.  coulda saved me a bunch of money.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#25]
what if i just buy a complete upper from Aero?  

I can sell my current stuff.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
what if i just buy a complete upper from Aero?  

I can sell my current stuff.
View Quote
If your problem is only not locking the bolt on empty magazine, it can be fixed with some trouble shooting. I had the same issue with 18" BA barrel and the fix is actually cleaning the chamber with copper brush/CLP and oiling the BCG a lot. But I think you need to fully disclose your setup and problem before anyone can make any suggestion. Does the bolt lock back on empty magazine when you manually cycle the bcg?

if it is short stroke, orange spring will not help; it will make it worse.

You may start a separate thread to troubleshoot if you want to go this route.

a recent thread for a short stroke 308
New-308-build-with-apparent-short-stroking
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If your problem is only not locking the bolt on empty magazine, it can be fixed with some trouble shooting. I had the same issue with 18" BA barrel and the fix is actually cleaning the chamber with copper brush/CLP and oiling the BCG a lot. But I think you need to fully disclose your setup and problem before anyone can make any suggestion. Does the bolt lock back on empty magazine when you manually cycle the bcg?

View Quote
My understanding of his problem is the bolt is failing to close - with our without a round being pushed into the chamber.  It's locking back after every shot which indicates short stroking isn't the problem.

If it was just failing to close when loading ammunition it might have been tight headspace(or slightly oversized brass on reloads).  Since it has issues closing without ammunition present it indicates parts are tight between the bolt/receiver extension/cam pin/carrier.  This could simply be tolerance stacking that will quickly wear in or it could be an out of spec/oversized part.

That's why I said I would probably try and cycle the bcg open/close a few hundred times.  It's free besides some time and after a few hundred cycles it would hopefully smooth out and work great.  If not it should start showing wear on the parts that are an interference fit.  At that point you could decide to lap the parts or replace them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
bolt locks back fine on an empty mag.

the problem is, it will not close the bolt on a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc round.  all rounds are factory loads, no reloads.

all parts are new and 99% aero parts.

i have an email into aero before i buy a complete upper, but i may just buy it and be done, not worth the hassle plus i want to be able to shoot
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Yay! I finally get to play this game!
Just finished my M5e1 build:

M5e1 15" upper/lower
Faxon 16" midlength medium taper 4150 nitride barrel, BRT pinned MicroPin gas block, SI King comp
Sunny State nitride BCG, Raptor CH, Fortis RAP (rail mount forward QD socket)
Magpul FCS, SL grip, Pmag 25, Pro offset buis
PSA carbine RE, DPMS 308 carbine spring, Radical 308 H buffer
PSA EPT trigger and AP 308 LPK
Weaver 3-9x V9 classic, Nikon M223 mount
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I finished my .308 Aero build and it seems to have a headspace problem.

I'm using a BA stainless 20" barrel and Prime Weaponry’s 308 AR Titanium Nitride Bolt Carrier Group. After assembly and before the range, I cycled it hundreds of times, oiling and cleaning periodically. It works very smoothly.

But once I chambered a round at the range, the bolt did not go into battery and the carrier was jammed up tight. Had to do the old slam-the-charging-handle-on-the table-edge to break it free.

At home, with the breakdown pin removed, and a round in the chamber, the bolt carrier protrudes maybe 3/8" from the end of the upper receiver. It is the same with the extractor and ejector removed. And very tight even just pushing the BCG forward by hand. It jammed.

Where headspace is concerned, it it always the barrel or might the bolt be out of spec?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I finished my .308 Aero build and it seems to have a headspace problem.

I'm using a BA stainless 20" barrel and Prime Weaponry’s 308 AR Titanium Nitride Bolt Carrier Group. After assembly and before the range, I cycled it hundreds of times, oiling and cleaning periodically. It works very smoothly.

But once I chambered a round at the range, the bolt did not go into battery and the carrier was jammed up tight. Had to do the old slam-the-charging-handle-on-the table-edge to break it free.

At home, with the breakdown pin removed, and a round in the chamber, the bolt carrier protrudes maybe 3/8" from the end of the upper receiver. It is the same with the extractor and ejector removed. And very tight even just pushing the BCG forward by hand. It jammed.

Where headspace is concerned, it it always the barrel or might the bolt be out of spec?
View Quote
It can be either or both.  If I had a spare BCG, or another .308 type rifle that used the same BCG type I would try swapping it in to see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I think I'll be getting a set of the Clymer 308 headspace gauges to check my components before I assemble. Will be using BA barrel and aero BCG.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I had a spare BCG, or another .308 type rifle that used the same BCG type I would try swapping it in to see what happens.
View Quote
As would I. Unfortunately, this is the first .308 I've put together and I've no intention of building another, so I did not invest in go-no-go gauges.

At this point, I'm tempted to order another BCG - a different brand -- and see if the problem persists. I just have to buy it from somewhere that accepts returns. If another BCG works, I can probably return my original to Brownell's. I hope.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#34]
What torque are you all using on the barrel nut for the M5e1? I just finished assembling mine a week ago, and assumed it was the same barrel nut torque specs as an AR (no instruction with the M5e1 set... c'mon AP), so I set it to 50 ft/lbs. Now I find, after research, that Aero recommends 65 ft/lbs. I guess now I'll have to take out the gas tube (PITA with this upper, as fit is ultra tight) and do it again
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What torque are you all using on the barrel nut for the M5e1?  
View Quote
I use the Aero-recommended 65 ft-lb, though now it's zero as I have removed the barrel from the upper.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#36]
@WMichelsen
Brownells has a no questions asked return policy.  I'm sure they will take it back without any issues.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Dang, upon disassembly (have to re do the torque to 65), I notice that my gas tube DOES touch the teeth on the barrel nut (M5e1). I thought you didn't need to "time" these on the M5e1? Maybe it doesn't necessarily require timing, but dang it scrapes the gas tube (as in visible scrape). No wonder it's such a PITA to get the gas tube in this thing. Talk about "scraping by"! Ah well, it is what it is.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Dang, upon disassembly (have to re do the torque to 65), I notice that my gas tube DOES touch the teeth on the barrel nut (M5e1). I thought you didn't need to "time" these on the M5e1? Maybe it doesn't necessarily require timing, but dang it scrapes the gas tube (as in visible scrape). No wonder it's such a PITA to get the gas tube in this thing. Talk about "scraping by"! Ah well, it is what it is.
View Quote
Who makes your gas tube?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just make sure the gas tube isn't catching on the carrier gas key.  It can cause unusual wear issues if they're off center and constantly rub.  It can also keep the bolt from closing properly.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Who makes your gas tube?
View Quote
I'm not sure, but I think Anderson. They're what I usually use, and I grabbed it out of my spare parts bin.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#41]
It can be the ammo. If you are using reloads you need to turn the sizing die down more to bump the shoulder a couple thousand more inches.

This is rarely ever an issue with newly manufactured ammo.

I bump the shoulder back .004" of an inch from the fired case measurements. Another option is to set the ammo headspace at SAAMI minimum (go gage) -.001". That will insure that it fits in any rifle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Anyone else have issue getting the take down and pivot pin in? I finally had to set them aside. Oiling/working back and forth/clean and repeat got one side ok (a lot of the bare shiny metal is showing now on the pivot pin) but other doesn't really budge. Must just try another set or get out the sand paper.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#43]
got the new complete upper in yest.  
hopefully no more issues.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
got the new complete upper in yest.  
hopefully no more issues.
View Quote
Nice. Did they say what the issue was caused by with your original set up?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nice. Did they say what the issue was caused by with your original set up?
View Quote
nope.  i never heard back from Aero.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Can someone give me a link or source to the aero recommended barrel torque?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#47]
^   Unfortunately (at least for me, since now I have to retorque mine), they do not include instructions. However, if you go to AP site, they state (in description) "torque to 65 ft/lbs" (at least for the M5e1, I'm sure it's probably the same for M4e1 versions too). For non e1 versions... I'd assume the usual "30-80 ft/lbs" applies (since timing a standard mil spec barrel nut will be required with non e1 versions).
It would be nice if they included instructions, since the torque spec for e1 versions is usually NOT in the description with vendors other than AP's site.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:16:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
^   Unfortunately (at least for me, since now I have to retorque mine), they do not include instructions. However, if you go to AP site, they state (in description) "torque to 65 ft/lbs" (at least for the M5e1, I'm sure it's probably the same for M4e1 versions too). For non e1 versions... I'd assume the usual "30-80 ft/lbs" applies (since timing a standard mil spec barrel nut will be required with non e1 versions).
It would be nice if they included instructions, since the torque spec for e1 versions is usually NOT in the description with vendors other than AP's site.
View Quote
ok thanks. I see it now. It is in the description on this page http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j1q95bf2rb00zk8a02gtd&mi=13601&url=https%3A%2F%2Faeroprecisionusa.com%2Fm5e1-enhanced-upper-receiver.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#49]
tested my new upper.  same issue.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
tested my new upper.  same issue.

View Quote
Still having failure of the bolt to lock when dropped from the bolt catch, even with an Orange spring?Does it tap close with a little help from the forward assist?
Page / 82
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top