Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2014 11:43:10 PM EDT
Does anyone have one, if so what do you think of it as a hunting round for deer and hogs?

I'm trying to get so info on the 6X45.  Thinking about building one and wanted to get the skinny before I did.  Any help with comparisons to 5.56 or 6.8 and ballistic info is appreciated  

Do they make reloading dies for it yet?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 3 and love them. I've taken deer a hog a javelina and coyotes with it. I run the Sierra 85 hpbt for the bigger stuff. I might switch to the Barnes 80 ttsx. I wish Barnes would give us like a 65gr tsx. They are pretty accurate easy to load. Uses same mags bolt etc as 5.56. I was shooting the 85 Barnes in the 6.8. I went the 6x45 route to shoot lighter pills for coyotes and still have a deer rig.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Lookie here:  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/619352_6MMTCU___AR_project.html

My favorite AR, my is basically 6x45 Improved.  Feeds fine, easy to load for (just fire-form, load and go).

I'll be back with load data later.

Bill in OR
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one... use it for deer... easy to load for.  Plenty of load data out there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I have four of them. Certainly adequate for deer and hogs. Hornady makes very affordab;le dies. I have a couple of those but also use Redding 223's to laod it with. I have shot it for years in matches and done very well with it. Predator Masters has a huge thread with a data on it.  Black Hole makes super barrels that are shooting consistent sub-0.5  MOA groups.

Greg

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have four of them. Certainly adequate for deer and hogs. Hornady makes very affordab;le dies. I have a couple of those but also use Redding 223's to laod it with. I have shot it for years in matches and done very well with it. Predator Masters has a huge thread with a data on it.  Black Hole makes super barrels that are shooting consistent sub-0.5  MOA groups.

Greg

View Quote

What distances are you comfortable with hunting?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my BHW barreled build , have yet to have a target get up and run off
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

Never shot hogs but I wouldn't think 200 would be unreasobanle as not hogs are as big as Hogzilla. A deer would be doable at 300 or so. Shot placement is paramount as you don't want one running off.  It could stetched somewhat based on shooting skill or conditions.  I've got the skills without a doubt but that's a pretty fair poke. Lighter animals like antelpe etc. that are less bullet ressitant would draw a 400 attempt.  Obviously ranging is important when you shoot that far.

Greg
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
What length barrel do y'all recommend for the 6X45?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What length barrel do y'all recommend for the 6X45?
View Quote

I like 22" guns a great deal but many go 20". I like a bit more muzzle weight and with the extra inches you get that plus extra speed.  You can move an 87 fast enough to do serious work on anythof reasonable size.  To me this is definitely not the one I want for hunting at 16". I do shoot one in matches that is a full custom at 17 1/2"  It is a fun little whippy carbine and does well for me. It has a Shilen blank made up as a gift for my wife. She lets me borrow it.
Greg
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I have made 2.  Both are White Oak barrels @18" mid-length gas systems.  They are super easy to load for.  You really put little stress on the brass.  I load mine with 100g Sierra BTSP and they work great.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got 1 off gunbroker, It has a Daniel defense receiver, blackrain charging handle & nickel boron bolt, bcm keymod handgaurd stainless 20in .75 bull brll. I have both bcbs & hornady dies. Very easy wildcat, just neck up 223/5.56 brass. Load data available in sierra, lee, and hogdon annual manuals, also previous handloader issues.
Since moving to TX, the whitetails are small in avg. weight then in NYS. So 6mm is perfect for coyote/deer same load, also not all pis are 400 plus lbs, so if people here use 223 on pigs 6mm is fine too.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top