Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2014 3:58:16 AM EDT
First, the rifle. The barrel is a Sharps Rifle Co. 20" stainless steel mounted on a PSA "blem" upper receiver using a PSA BCG. The lower is a Precision Aero with an Ergo grip an A2 stock. The fore end is a Yankee Hill Machine Co. rifle length model.

I installed a Jard 2 pound adjustable trigger. It took a bit of fine tuning but the trigger is pretty decent after getting it right.

The scope is a Sightron SII 36x42 AO.

The rifle:

100 yard targets. Group measurements can be found above or below the black. Most were shot with IMR-4198 powder but two were with IMR-8208BR powder.

200 yard target. The group measures 1.018" C-C or under 1/2 MOA.

300 yard target. The group measures 1.956" C-C. This target was shot with a Sightron 6~24X40 SII Big Sky scope.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Good shooting.....looking forward to building my own 25x45 Sharps set up
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you'll like it.  Other than the barrel, everything else remains .223 as far as the rifle. The rifling is of the octagonal or "ratchet" type. It distorts the bullet less than conventional rifling and also increases velocity because of less friction.

I bought the Redding dies. When forming brass using the sizing die, I used a Q-Tip with motor oil on it to lube the inside of the .223 case necks. Lube one and then run 5 through before lubing another. That made up-sizing the necks smooth and prevented necks collapsing. Once the cases were formed, I washed them in hot water and dish washing liquid to remove the oil residue. I also cleaned the die expander plug with alcohol.

The cartridge seems capable of excellent accuracy and is certainly good out to 350 yards and likely 400.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think you'll like it.  Other than the barrel, everything else remains .223 as far as the rifle. The rifling is of the octagonal or "ratchet" type. It distorts the bullet less than conventional rifling and also increases velocity because of less friction.

I bought the Redding dies. When forming brass using the sizing die, I used a Q-Tip with motor oil on it to lube the inside of the .223 case necks. Lube one and then run 5 through before lubing another. That made up-sizing the necks smooth and prevented necks collapsing. Once the cases were formed, I washed them in hot water and dish washing liquid to remove the oil residue. I also cleaned the die expander plug with alcohol.

The cartridge seems capable of excellent accuracy and is certainly good out to 350 yards and likely 400.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to clear up a few things. The barrels are made by Black Hole.  The rifling is POLYGONAL as are all of our barrels.  This cartidge was SAAMI'd a couple years ago by Sharps.   You can find it on the SAAMI website if you like to look at the straight skinny.    BHW has been chambering it for about four years or so. They are faster than a standard Enfield rifled barrel.  You will find they clean easier than regular barrels also.  Across the board you will find top accuracy frequently occurring at the higher velocities.

Enjoy it and shoot it hard. Post up some targets and let everyone enjoy your choice.

Greg
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:04:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just to clear up a few things. The barrels are made by Black Hole.  The rifling is POLYGONAL as are all of our barrels.  This cartidge was SAAMI'd a couple years ago by Sharps.   You can find it on the SAAMI website if you like to look at the straight skinny.    BHW has been chambering it for about four years or so. They are faster than a standard Enfield rifled barrel.  You will find they clean easier than regular barrels also.  Across the board you will find top accuracy frequently occurring at the higher velocities.

Enjoy it and shoot it hard. Post up some targets and let everyone enjoy your choice.

Greg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

Greg, thanks for your reply. I did mean polygonal so thanks for correcting that. So far I'm really impressed by the groups I'm getting and, as you can see from my posted targets, the groups show great promise. I'll be using my rifle in a local bench rest match against other ARs. This would be an excellent varmint cartridge and with a properly constructed bullet, a very good deer cartridge IMO.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the clarification GLShooter......I'm looking forward to my 25X45 Sharps build
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Excellent groups OP!  

BHW, you guys make some quality stuff!  So far we have also had great results with accuracy!

Just as an FYI, Sharps is now offering complete uppers on their site for pre-order.  We just got one a day or so ago from SRC, and will be taking it to WV for deer at the end of the week.

I killed a couple of coyotes with it (one on video) earlier this year and it thumped them (not surprising with the 87 grain bullet).

Eric  

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Eric.....are you reloading?  If so, what is the powder and measure you are using for an 87 grain bullet?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Eric.....are you reloading?  If so, what is the powder and measure you are using for an 87 grain bullet?
View Quote

I was using the factory ammo, but I have the dies (including the resizing die) and will be loading for it next year.

There is some good information in this thread about the wildcat version, along with some reloading information (page 52 has some good info):

As always, being that this is a bit different, you should ask in that thread about reloading.

Eric  

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top