Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I'd go with one of the hotrod offerings from ar15performance.com if youre a reloader. His 6.5 BRX will leave all these other cartridges discussed in the dust. 200fps over a grendel with a higher BC pill than a 6.8, win, win if you reload and dont mind a little case prep.
View Quote

If you want to shoot past 400 yards AND are willing to reload, yes indeed.  The 6.5 BRX is a great cartridge.  I have found that my non-556 ARs are mainly used around hunting season and for target shooting at long ranges.  So reloading is not an issue for me as volume is low.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Not this again

OP I have 4 AR's in 5.56 I also have some in 300 AAC, 7.62x39, 6.8spc, 6.5 grendel, 22lr, and 9mm.  I would just get what ever caliber is easiest for you to get ammo for....because eventually you will build another AR and another and another,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With all the great deals out there now I have started to think about 6.8 SPC. I had thought about 6.5 Grendel but I have a Mega MKM with damn near every thing except my 6.5 CR barrel and optic.

I have the
16" and 14.5"  5.56's
8.2" 300BLK SBR

You are covered on 5.56 blasters it looks like.  You already have a 300BLK 8.2" SBR.  I'm not sure why there is any discussion about 300BLK, since you have one currently.

Get the 6.5 Grendel and be done with this mess.  You will have affordable factory ammo you can shoot from close range, to farther than you thought an AR15 was capable of.  You won't be shooting much factory ammo through a 6.5 CM, because it just doesn't do well in gas guns.

6.5 Grendel makes an excellent medium game hunting cartridge, which has also been used to take large game.  You will also be able to share projectiles between it and the 6.5 CM.  It doesn't make sense to add more diversity to your reloading bench if you don't have to.

That will have all your bases covered.

5.56 blaster carbines...check

300 BLK SBR...check

Lightweight High Performance Intermediate Cartridge Carbine capable of medium game hunting for deer, yotes, wolves, pronghorn, fun target shooting at distance, and even large game.....currently empty

Long-range, heavy, precision semi-auto....in progress

If you are looking for a range toy, you won't be able to feed any of the other options as affordably as you will with steel case 6.5 Grendel, which would be cool from an SBR with your 762 SDN-6.  $7.99/box  is hard to beat, and the load works great for killing things.

And this my friends, is why......... the OP didnt ask about the Grendel, he asked about the 5.56, 300BO and 6.8
I agree with the OP, with a 6.5 Creedmore a lesser 6.5 would be a dust collector.

Not this again

OP I have 4 AR's in 5.56 I also have some in 300 AAC, 7.62x39, 6.8spc, 6.5 grendel, 22lr, and 9mm.  I would just get what ever caliber is easiest for you to get ammo for....because eventually you will build another AR and another and another,

/thread
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The .277 has a long way to go before it even can come close to what the 300BLK offers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have two 6.8s and absolutely no benefit of the .300 BO.  I'm about to order another 6.8.

Really no benefit? Unless you are suppressing, none, only limitations What limitations?

So having a rifle that doesn't need a special bolt or special magazines is no benefit? A Corvette doesn't wear the same tires as a FiestaBolts for the 6.8 don't cost any more than bolts for the 5.56 if of the same quality, and mags for the 6.8 can be had just as cheap Point is you have to buy more parts that are not common with the ubiquitous AR-15 that you can find parts for anywhere. But if you think that adding more non standard parts to a gun is better then you might want to look into a little know rifle called the .308. It is a much more capable rifle than the 6.8 and it too doesn't use the same bolt or magazines as the AR-15 so it must be the Ferrari in this comparison.

Having a rifle that you can reload much cheaper for is no benefit? Unless you are casting, it really isn't more than a penny or two B.S. show me where you can get a thousand 6.8 bullets for under $120 because last I checked the cheapest plinking rounds for the 6.8 were closer to $200 with most well into high $200. That is hardly just a penny or two.

Having access to hundreds of millions pieces of brass is no benefit? We have plenty thanks, this isn't 2009 The point is when it drys up again there will still be plenty of .223 brass compared to 6.8 and just the scale of production ensures the brass for the 300BLK will always be far cheaper than that of the 6.8.

Having much cheaper brass to reload from is no benefit? With that brass you must add a step to processing

Being able to shoot both supersonic and subsonic is no benefit? We can do it, not as well. 99% of your rifles can't do that not even "not as well"

Being able to use one of the most widely available bullets (.308) including military surplus is no benefit? We have mil surp 6.8 pulls, and .270 ain't hard to find HAHA What military is that again? Once again you missed the point is that the 300BLK has more variety and cheaper bullets to choose from and if you can find the .270 then it is really really easy to find the .308.

Now what are the benefits of the 6.8 again...Oh ya longer range but my 300BLK will take anything your 6.8 will inside of 300 yards and is capable of reaching out to 700 yards if needed. So if you want to target shoot at longer ranges than 300-400 yards then yes the 6.8 has ONE benefit over the 300BLK.
We can kill anything a .300BLK can kill, only deader, and much further out If you looking to go further out then 400+ yards the 6.8 is not the rifle you should be looking at. Can it be done yes just like the 300BLK could easily take deer at 500 yards but the .308 is a much better rifle to make things deader than the 6.8 at those ranges and even at the shorter ranges if more deader is what you want.

So, if you want the ability to do everything a 6.8 does for a cheaper price with less modifications with cheaper and more brass/bullets availability all while being able to shoot subs and supers except a lesser extent, as long as it isn't real far off, yeah. lol

Suppress it, .300, non, 6.8, no question. Pay more, more non standard parts, less reloading capabilities 6.8, great medium range rifle with less fuss 300BLK, no question.  

Or, .277 Wolverine, 6.8 SAAMI power, still well better than the .300, but, in a .223 case, .223 mags, and a .223 bolt.
The .277 has a long way to go before it even can come close to what the 300BLK offers

I appreciate the honorable mention, and yes, we have a ways to go with the .277 Wolverine but I wouldn't call it "long".  Come June it will be down to "a little ways to go".

That being said even though I developed my own cartridge I don't have cartridge envy, cartridge insecurity, or whatever the issue always seems to be.

OP, I would suggest the 'ole pros and cons list on paper, and then actual research rather than asking opinions from a few very opinionated people. Most of the folks around here are great, and some will take to their corners and come back swinging.

The above statement is not pointed at anyone in particular here.  There is a ton of great knowledge here but if you sit at a bar and ask a group of guys "blond, brunette or red head", "chevy, ford or whatever", expect the same responses.

To add to the technical part of this discussion I will say that if you use your intended use pros and cons list, cross check that with ballistic data, cross check that with parts and components availability and cost, you will get your answer.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Please show me where you can buy 6.8 brass for less than $100 for a thousand. I can find a lot of 300BLK brass ready to load for that price.

No one has to cut down their brass to make 300BLK. There are plenty manufactures making it ready to fire. So, please stop with that tired argument that anyone who owns a 300BLK will have to cut, form and anneal to get brass.

The advantage of the 300BLK is that if you have cheap excess .223 brass then you can cut it down to use in the 300BLK. What cheap brass can you do that with the 6.8? Oh that right there is none so you can't.

You keep saying you can do subsonic but you really can't as 99% of the 6.8 rifles being sold are unable to use, cycle or stabilize subsonic ammo. This is no different than subsonic .223 except that the majority of .223 can stabilize the subsonics even though they won't cycle. Once again a tired argument for what the 6.8 can truly do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh, $11.99 reloadable plinker ammo is nice.
But, I have plenty & a variety of brands of 6.8 brass & I didn't have to cut, form & anneal it.
Subsonic factory 6.8 ammo. Expensive, yeah, but, hey we can do subsonic too.
http://www.corbon.com/corboncart/corbon/performance/pm68115s-20

Please show me where you can buy 6.8 brass for less than $100 for a thousand. I can find a lot of 300BLK brass ready to load for that price.

No one has to cut down their brass to make 300BLK. There are plenty manufactures making it ready to fire. So, please stop with that tired argument that anyone who owns a 300BLK will have to cut, form and anneal to get brass.

The advantage of the 300BLK is that if you have cheap excess .223 brass then you can cut it down to use in the 300BLK. What cheap brass can you do that with the 6.8? Oh that right there is none so you can't.

You keep saying you can do subsonic but you really can't as 99% of the 6.8 rifles being sold are unable to use, cycle or stabilize subsonic ammo. This is no different than subsonic .223 except that the majority of .223 can stabilize the subsonics even though they won't cycle. Once again a tired argument for what the 6.8 can truly do.

Nope,, not yet. Huh,I'll be dern. $100 for 1000. cases.
I was talking about cutting down .223, not factory 300 brass.
I just said there was a factory subsonic for the 6.8 & the Bison platform.. I did not say the 6.8 was as good as the 300BO(Whisper) at subsonic shooting. Which it clearly is. Yes, 99% of 6.8 ammo is supersonic. It is not it's forte`. So, no real argument there.

Really the 6.8 is mainly a General Purpose Cartridge. Not great at subsonic, or have really great match high BC for long distance(600+ yards) of the Grendel. But, it will do both, just not as well.
(Goldilocks approved, LOL)

All the alternative AR Calibers have their pros & cons, They are true alternatives to the .223/5.56. Allot of development & experimentation involved, (Mainly in the top 3 non-pistol cal. alternatives 6.5G/.264 LBC, 6.8 SPC & 300 Blk). All 3 will kill a Whitetail Deer within the 200y the common Eastern deer hunter's range.

PS I am disappointment no one wanted to see the HWC TV & Archer's paradox videos. LOL!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:57:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Blocked from the forum...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:57:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Personally I'd go with one of the hotrod offerings from ar15performance.com if youre a reloader. His 6.5 BRX will leave all these other cartridges discussed in the dust. 200fps over a grendel with a higher BC pill than a 6.8, win, win if you reload and dont mind a little case prep.
View Quote

even more confusion.

But as another said buy which ever you will eventually build another AR.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:20:09 AM EDT
[#7]
PRI 6.8 mags cheap.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/pri-25rd-6-8-spc-magazine.html
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Blocked from the forum...VA-gunnut

View Quote

Until this thread I didnt know anyone even thought the 300 BO was competition for the 6.8.

It does not reach enough speed for me to consider it for anything but a sub.

Interesting

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

even more confusion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

even more confusion.

Thats alot more than a little case prep if you want to shoot any numbers.
I hate trimming let alone those steps in any quantity.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
PRI 6.8 mags cheap.http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/pri-25rd-6-8-spc-magazine.html
View Quote

This is actually one of the main reasons I stayed out of the 6.8 game.  I hate metal mags and they always make a lot of noise when hunting with them.  

If the 6.8 is the best thing since slice bread then why doesn't Magpul make mags for it?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is actually one of the main reasons I stayed out of the 6.8 game.  I hate metal mags and they always make a lot of noise when hunting with them.  

If the 6.8 is the best thing since slice bread then why doesn't Magpul make mags for it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PRI 6.8 mags cheap.http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/pri-25rd-6-8-spc-magazine.html

They do.  but they only fit in the lwrc 6.8 recievers

https://www.lwrci.com/p-354-magpul-pmag-six8.aspx
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand it's the magazine stack angle.
The thicker walls of a Magpul plastic magazine cause the stack angle to be more severe.
This can cause feeding issues.
For this reason Magpul will not make a plastic magazine for any of the cases fatter than the .223/5.56. (in an AR15)
They cannot insure it would feed with total reliability.

This is why LWRC created the Six8 when the contract with the Arab states called for P-Mags.
The mag well is wider to accommodate the thicker plastic of the P-mag.

FYI the PRI mags are solid welded not spot welded and as such are very strong and made to a higher degree of precision.
I have mags for my 6.8 from CPD, ASC and PRI. The only ones I have ever heard rattle that I own are the CPD's.

As by now you all know I have a passion for the 6.8SPCII, I do not think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
I do however think it's the best all around variant in an AR15.
There are others that do certain things better, but it can do all things well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never had a mag rattle in my 6.8.

OK, the old C Products did rattle if I didn't tap the back of the mag on my hand or something. The CPDs I had didn't. The Barretts didn't. The PRIs don't. I'm assuming you're talking about ammo in the mag.

Lot's of my .223 metal mags have rattled.

If mag to magwell, None of my 6.8 mags rattled, though I never tried them in any receiver but the one. With Aluminum .223 mags, some do, some don't, it varies between receiver and mag, but really not rattle per se, more of a looser fit in some, but still a solid fit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is why LWRC created the Six8 when the contract with the Arab states called for P-Mags.

FYI the PRI mags are solid welded not spot welded and as such are very strong and made to a higher degree of precision.
I have mags for my 6.8 from CPD, ASC and PRI. The only ones I have ever heard rattle that I own are the CPD's.

As by now you all know I have a passion for the 6.8SPCII, I do not think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
View Quote

Except subsonic
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

even more confusion.

Yes, if you prep your own 300 BLK brass, you will need to cut, size, trim.

But that's a one time deal.  After that it's no different than reloading 6.8, 6.5, 223, etc.  Size and trim like every other cartridge.

OP, if I was to build another 6.8 sometime down the road.  I'd lean towards something in the 10.5"-12.5" range.

ps. Or you could purchase prepped 300BLK brass from a reputable seller for relatively cheap.

ymmv
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But that's a one time deal.  After that it's no different than reloading 6.8, 6.5, 223, etc.  Size and trim like every other cartridge.

OP, if I was to build another 6.8 sometime down the road.  I'd lean towards something in the 10.5"-12.5" range.

ps. Or you could purchase prepped 300BLK brass from a reputable seller for relatively cheap.

ymmv
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

even more confusion.

ymmv

Read the above a bit more carefully.
We were talking about the 6.5 BRX from AR Performance and the case work and fireforming involved.
The OP already has a 300 BO
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Except subsonic
View Quote

11.5in Bison Recon BSP
"11.5” Recon profile BSP (Subsonic / full power) 6.8 SPC barrel with threaded muzzle for AR-15 platform rifles.
This barrel shoots both our 200 grain 6.8 BSP bullets at subsonic velocities and standard full-power factory 6.8 SPC loads flawlessly, easily cycling subsonic ammunition with a silencer. While the 16" BSP barrel will cycle 200 grain bullet subsonic ammo without a silencer, the 11.5" BSP barrel has too little dwell time to make this work. A silencer is needed for fully reliable cycling with the 11.5" BSP barrel when using subsonic ammunition."

6.8mm BSP Bullets
"The recommended load when using these bullets is: 14.0 to 14.5 grains Hodgdon H4895. OAL 2.260 inches. Their muzzle velocity is 1050 fps, and they will cycle the action of a 16" 6.8mm SPC rifle with carbine gas without further modification or a silencer. These bullets perform optimally with our 6.8 BSP Barrels"
16in Bison Recon BSP

So yes the 6.8 will do subsonic and super from the same barrel. As well as cycle with or without a suppressor if need be.
If I decided to switch so shooting subs with all the 6.8 stuff I have it would just be a barrel and then some projos to make it happen.

The next thing that will be said is the projos are not in stock, that is correct.
However they will be very soon.
As well they are other .277 heavier projos a guy could play with.
After all thats half the fun is it not.

Not to say having a 5.56 (which everyone should have first and keep IMHO) a 6.8 SPCII and then a .300 BO is a bad thing.
My personal preference is to have a 5.56 and a 6.8 first then add others as desired.
ymmv
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

11.5in Bison Recon BSP
"11.5” Recon profile BSP (Subsonic / full power) 6.8 SPC barrel with threaded muzzle for AR-15 platform rifles.
This barrel shoots both our 200 grain 6.8 BSP bullets at subsonic velocities and standard full-power factory 6.8 SPC loads flawlessly, easily cycling subsonic ammunition with a silencer. While the 16" BSP barrel will cycle 200 grain bullet subsonic ammo without a silencer, the 11.5" BSP barrel has too little dwell time to make this work. A silencer is needed for fully reliable cycling with the 11.5" BSP barrel when using subsonic ammunition."

6.8mm BSP Bullets
"The recommended load when using these bullets is: 14.0 to 14.5 grains Hodgdon H4895. OAL 2.260 inches. Their muzzle velocity is 1050 fps, and they will cycle the action of a 16" 6.8mm SPC rifle with carbine gas without further modification or a silencer. These bullets perform optimally with our 6.8 BSP Barrels"
16in Bison Recon BSP

So yes the 6.8 will do subsonic and super from the same barrel. As well as cycle with or without a suppressor if need be.
If I decided to switch so shooting subs with all the 6.8 stuff I have it would just be a barrel and then some projos to make it happen.

The next thing that will be said is the projos are not in stock, that is correct.

Not to say having a 5.56 (which everyone should have first and keep IMHO) a 6.8 SPCII and then a .300 BO is a bad thing.
My personal preference is to have a 5.56 and a 6.8 first then add others as desired.
ymmv
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except subsonic

11.5in Bison Recon BSP

6.8mm BSP Bullets
16in Bison Recon BSP

ymmv

2 barrels made differently then any other 6.8 barrel in order to get one projectile to function does not in anyway equal 99% of 300 blk barrels able to shoot numerous heavy gr subsonic bullets.  
I can easily give the 6.8spc all kinds of props.  subsonic is not one of them  And this 200gr woodleigh does not expand if I am reading correctly.  

Quoted from here: 6.8spc bison armory subsonic
Shooting 6.8mm Subsonic

The 1:7" twist of the 6.8 BSP barrel is just fast enough to stabilize our 200 grain bullets. At 100 yards, you will notice that the bullet holes in your target are somewhat oval, rather than round, which shows that the bullet is coning a small amount in flight. Since bullet expansion is typically poor at subsonic velocities, a slightly coning bullet is very effective, as it will produce a devastating injury.

So not only does it not expand but they are counting on tumbling for the wound effect. Which I have been told by countless individuals poo-pooing the 300blk sub, is not effective and a bad idea.   Ironically I actually agree and I don't count on tumbling and rely on properly designed bullets to expand at subsonic velocities. Now there are only 4 current 30 caliber heavy gr subsonic expanding bullets, but there are countless heavy gr 30 cal bullets that can be used for other purposes. Don't get me wrong I know for a a fact the kind of damage a tumbling bullet can do.  But I also know that I like the results from a bullet that expands even if just a little.  Because I have also found that if you have a subsonic that expands or opens up even just a little I can and do get consistent secondary effect of tumbling.

other then the 200gr 6.8 woodleigh there is how many heavy gr .277 bullets?  Midway usa list 2 bullets over 150 a 160  nosler and a 180 woodleigh.  so even if you can get the 180s to work subsonically, they are no better then plinkers and at $37 for 50 that makes them more then  twice the price of the .308 208gr amax which is one of the most popular subsonic loads for the 300blk

Also from their own page that same bullet they warn against shooting in anything but the 1/7 twist Bison Barrel.  where as that same concern does not cover 99% of 300blk barrels.  that means it is useless to a vast majority of 6.8spc shooters

Again I give 6.8spc all kinds of props 175 fps faster with the same bullet weight makes all the difference at 100 yds, which ironically is longer distance then 87% of guys shoot 87% of the time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We were talking about the 6.5 BRX from AR Performance and the case work and fireforming involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

even more confusion.

ymmv

Alright, I see that, but was addressing that case prep in general,  is a one time thing.  After that, reloading any caliber becomes the same.

Size and trim.  Done.

btw- what's the going rate for once-fired, sized, trimmed 6.8spc brass per 1k?

I'm generally curious.

Also, does anyone have ballistics comparing a 110gr 6.8spc bullet fired from a ~8/8.5" barrel and a 110gr 300blk bullet fired from a ~8"/8.5" barrel?

Or 120gr/125gr....I'd just like to see what an apples to apples comparison (equivalent bullet weights and the shortest "standard" barrel length for these cartridges, ~8"/8.5") looks like in MV, KE and trajectory.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Alright, I see that, but was addressing that case prep in general,  is a one time thing.  After that, reloading any caliber becomes the same.

Size and trim.  Done.

btw- what's the going rate for once-fired, sized, trimmed 6.8spc brass per 1k?
View Quote

I have never looked for fully processed 6.8 brass.
I would rather get it once fired with spent primer intact.
I bump the shoulder back for my weapon not to saami specs.
Less wear and tear on the brass that way.

For a 300BO I get why you would want fully processed brass.

The 3500+ cases I have cost between .20 and .35 each depending on brand.
Although right now I would buy S&B loaded ammo for $11.99 at Palmetto before I bought brass.
The S&B is some of the best brass I have used and at .60 each its hard to justify not buying and firing factory ammo then reloading it.
.04 for a primer, .10 for powder, .18 for a projo thats .32 and I have to build it.
Figure S&B brass is worth .35 each and its cheaper to buy the loaded S&B and sell the brass or reload it.
You can litterally shoot the 6.8 with quality FMJ ammo for target or plinking for .25 each after you sell the brass.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

2 barrels made differently then any other 6.8 barrel in order to get one projectile to function does not in anyway equal 99% of 300 blk barrels able to shoot numerous heavy gr subsonic bullets.  
I can easily give the 6.8spc all kinds of props.  subsonic is not one of them  And this 200gr woodleigh does not expand if I am reading correctly.  

Shooting 6.8mm Subsonic

The 1:7" twist of the 6.8 BSP barrel is just fast enough to stabilize our 200 grain bullets. At 100 yards, you will notice that the bullet holes in your target are somewhat oval, rather than round, which shows that the bullet is coning a small amount in flight. Since bullet expansion is typically poor at subsonic velocities, a slightly coning bullet is very effective, as it will produce a devastating injury.

So not only does it not expand but they are counting on tumbling for the wound effect. Which I have been told by countless individuals poo-pooing the 300blk sub, is not effective and a bad idea.   Ironically I actually agree and I don't count on tumbling and rely on properly designed bullets to expand at subsonic velocities. Now there are only 4 current 30 caliber heavy gr subsonic expanding bullets, but there are countless heavy gr 30 cal bullets that can be used for other purposes. Don't get me wrong I know for a a fact the kind of damage a tumbling bullet can do.  But I also know that I like the results from a bullet that expands even if just a little.  Because I have also found that if you have a subsonic that expands or opens up even just a little I can and do get consistent secondary effect of tumbling.

other then the 200gr 6.8 woodleigh there is how many heavy gr .277 bullets?  Midway usa list 2 bullets over 150 a 160  nosler and a 180 woodleigh.  so even if you can get the 180s to work subsonically, they are no better then plinkers and at $37 for 50 that makes them more then  twice the price of the .308 208gr amax which is one of the most popular subsonic loads for the 300blk

Also from their own page that same bullet they warn against shooting in anything but the 1/7 twist Bison Barrel.  where as that same concern does not cover 99% of 300blk barrels.  that means it is useless to a vast majority of 6.8spc shooters

Again I give 6.8spc all kinds of props 175 fps faster with the same bullet weight makes all the difference at 100 yds, which ironically is longer distance then 87% of guys shoot 87% of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except subsonic

11.5in Bison Recon BSP

6.8mm BSP Bullets
16in Bison Recon BSP

ymmv

Shooting 6.8mm Subsonic

BO is absolutely superior shooting subs, and it was designed with this purpose in mind as well as outperforming the basic combat load from 5.56 and 7.62x39 supers.

You have to understand why the 6.8 got away from fast twist barrels though. All of the fast twist barrels that may have been useful with heavier bullets had the wrong land / groove ratio, as well as the wrong chamber. Being that the 6.8 was primarily designed for supers and bullets in the 90gr-115gr range, once the chamber mistake was found and fixed ( back to the original, now spec II ), the determination was made that the proper twist rate for best velocity and accuracy with the correct groove ratio, was in the 1/11-1/12 range.

Once the round gained popularity, people started experimenting with, and wanting subs. BHW used the correct chamber and land/ groove ratio but with a faster twist to stabilize heavier subs. So far it isn't there IMHO from what I've seen. A heavy that is a tad shorter would probably work fine but there isn't one yet. Once there is, BO still wins subs because weight and frontal area matters, since velocity is limited.

Now, Gary, you've to stop with the 175fps faster stuff. Nobody makes or has made SAAMI chambers in years, and spec II ammo that 95% of all 6.8 shooters can use is much more than that.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't see a 6.5BRX offered at AR Performance, is this what they refer to as the six5?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I am a huge 6.8spc fan, I have no use for .223/5.56. I never gave the AR a second look until they became available in 6.8spc. As far as I'm concerned, it's the caliber the AR should've been introduced with in the beginning.
I bought a RRA LAR-6 and swapped out the stock heavy profile 16" 6-groove, 1:10 barrel with an ARP 16" Scout Profile 5-groove 1:11.25 melonite treated barrel, the weight savings was nice as was the increase in accuracy.
I later bought a DPMS A3 Lite in .223, not soon after I installed a Bison Armory 16" 6.8spc black stainless 4-groove 1:11 barrel, I sold the .223 ammo to buy more 6.8spc ammo, as I already had mags and > 2K rounds of ammo I didn't take too much of a loss.
I am fully vested in the 6.8spc and the more popular it becomes the better off we 6.8er's are.
I see no reason to go shorter or longer than 16", shorter requires extra fed involvement and cost and longer adds to the weight and not significantly more in performance.
But if you want an AR and you want to hunt with it, I see no reason why not to go the 6.8 route as you can find ammo available at most sporting goods stores and even better access on-line.
I have yet to hunt with it yet, but I have no reservations about taking on any medium to medium-large game, including bears, with it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

BO is absolutely superior shooting subs, and it was designed with this purpose in mind as well as outperforming the basic combat load from 5.56 and 7.62x39 supers.

You have to understand why the 6.8 got away from fast twist barrels though. All of the fast twist barrels that may have been useful with heavier bullets had the wrong land / groove ratio, as well as the wrong chamber. Being that the 6.8 was primarily designed for supers and bullets in the 90gr-115gr range, once the chamber mistake was found and fixed ( back to the original, now spec II ), the determination was made that the proper twist rate for best velocity and accuracy with the correct groove ratio, was in the 1/11-1/12 range.

Once the round gained popularity, people started experimenting with, and wanting subs. BHW used the correct chamber and land/ groove ratio but with a faster twist to stabilize heavier subs. So far it isn't there IMHO from what I've seen. A heavy that is a tad shorter would probably work fine but there isn't one yet. Once there is, BO still wins subs because weight and frontal area matters, since velocity is limited.

Now, Gary, you've to stop with the 175fps faster stuff. Nobody makes or has made SAAMI chambers in years, and spec II ammo that 95% of all 6.8 shooters can use is much more than that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except subsonic

11.5in Bison Recon BSP

6.8mm BSP Bullets
16in Bison Recon BSP

ymmv

Shooting 6.8mm Subsonic

Pav I did not intentionally use a incorrect number.  I used the following, are these not the current loadings?  Which is above the SAAMI Spec chambers right? these are for the spec II chamber correct?

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/68-SPC-110-gr-Hornady-BTHP-2600-FPS-16-Barrel-20_Box/productinfo/A68-110-BTHP/

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/8-HORN-8346

http://www.primaryarms.com/Hornady_6_8MM_SPC_110GR_V_MAX_20_200_p/h8346.htm

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/sellier-bellot-6-8mm-rem-spc-110gr-fmj-20rds-sb68c.html

https://www.barrett.net/ammunition/68spc

I came up with an average of 2575 fps. Actually I got less then that, but rounded up.   I Don't yet reload for it so I based it off those.  I know for a fact that 110gr in the 300blk in a 16 inch barrel can get 2400fps.  there fore that gives 175fps faster.  if I used the wrong examples I apologize.  that was not my intent.  I did not remember the difference off the top of my head so I did a search before I posted that.

I will do this.  I will lower the 300blk to 2350 since that has been an oft repeated number.  and then give you the full 2600fps therefore giving a 250fps difference.  And then I will restate that at 100yds who cares?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#25]

I came up with an average of 2575 fps. Actually I got less then that, but rounded up.   I Don't yet reload for it so I based it off those.  I know for a fact that 110gr in the 300blk in a 16 inch barrel can get 2400fps.  there fore that gives 175fps faster.  if I used the wrong examples I apologize.  that was not my intent.  I did not remember the difference off the top of my head so I did a search before I posted that.

I will do this.  I will lower the 300blk to 2350 since that has been an oft repeated number.  and then give you the full 2600fps therefore giving a 250fps difference.  And then I will restate that at 100yds who cares?
View Quote

All the factory ammo your quoting can be fired from the early 6.8SPC chamber (thank again Remington).

My 120SST's run 2575fps
110 Hornady BTHP 2700fps
95 TTSX 2900fps
130 VLD 2500fps
90gr Gold Dot 2825 to 2950 (2825 is .5 MOA, 2950 is .9 MOA)
16in barrel
The other big difference is bullets made for the 6.8 and the speeds it runs. (The VLD is not)
Not just what I listed but a bunch of them.

At 100 yards your right a 300BO will work just fine.
Beyond that the 6.8 runs away from it.
I mean come on its a shortened .223 case with a 30 cal projo, great for what it was built for.
Here in Montana a 300BO is great for HD but to short legged for hunting.

I have a friend that hunts Elk with a long barreled 454 Casull
Its good to 100 yards to
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't see a 6.5BRX offered at AR Performance, is this what they refer to as the six5?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Halfway down the page
AR Perfornace
IN THE WORKS
The 6.5BRX in an AR15 is coming back.
The 6.5 fans have requested I bring back the 6.5BRX. It is apx 200fps faster than the 6.5 Grendel.
With the right bullet it can be one of the  flattest shooting AR15s made right behind the 6mmBRX.
6.5 Grendel bolts- improved design apx 24% stronger than ANY other Grendel bolt.-In Stock on bolt page

5.56x42- Based on the 6.8 case. The ultimate AR15 varmint cartridge, performance close to the 22-250
30 Herrett- based on the 6.8 case. The real semi-auto 30-30. 250 fps faster than the 300 AAC BLK

Six5
A BETTER MOUSE TRAP LWRC has developed a new lower receiver that uses Magpul pmags and allows loading to a 2.3" COAL. This has allowed us to design a chamber 41mm long based on the 6.8SPC. 6.8 bushing dies are used to neck down the case then the cases are trimmed to 1.620". That lets the popular long high BC 6.5 bullets like the 123gr Amax and SST, Barnes 100 and 120 TTSX, Nosler 120NBT and Lapua 100gr Scenar to be loaded to the cannelure or ogive without modifying mags like the 6.5x6.8 version requires. I believe our SIX5  design corrects all the problems with the wider PPC case used in the Grendel/264. The bolts are stronger, extractors are stronger and easier to find, Magpul mags feed better than any others. Hornady, Federal, SSA/Nosler and Remington makes brass. There is no need to hold the max pressure down to 52,000 PSI to keep bolts from breaking. The hoop stress around the chamber is less due to the cartridge being smaller diameter than the Grendel. In addition we use only 4150 11595E gunbarrel steel to increase the strength around the chamber over the weaker 416R stainless.  A normal AR15 lower receiver may be used, some steel mags like PRI allow loading to the same length as the Magpul mags. The performance will be apx the same as the Grendel/264.  Coming fall 2014

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

All the factory ammo your quoting can be fired from the early 6.8SPC chamber (thank again Remington).

My 120SST's run 2575fps
110 Hornady BTHP 2700fps
95 TTSX 2900fps
130 VLD 2500fps

16in barrel
The other big difference is bullets made for the 6.8 and the speeds it runs. (The VLD is not)

I mean come on its a shortened .223 case with a 30 cal projo, great for what it was built for.

Its good to 100 yards to
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My 120SST's run 2575fps
110 Hornady BTHP 2700fps
95 TTSX 2900fps
130 VLD 2500fps

16in barrel

Its good to 100 yards to

Mind posting a pic of your rig?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My 120SST's run 2575fps
110 Hornady BTHP 2700fps
95 TTSX 2900fps
130 VLD 2500fps
16in barrel

Its good to 100 yards to
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My 120SST's run 2575fps
110 Hornady BTHP 2700fps
95 TTSX 2900fps
130 VLD 2500fps
16in barrel

Its good to 100 yards to

Actually at least as far as the Wilson stuff.  it does in fact say SPC II chamber only.  and it lists at 2600fps.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone have ballistics for an 8"/8.5" 6.8 barrel pushing 110gr/120gr/125gr bullets?

I'd really like to see how that particular barrel length and bullet weight compares to an 8"/8.5" 300blk pushing a 110gr/115gr/120gr/125gr bullets.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Actually at least as far as the Wilson stuff.  it does in fact say SPC II chamber only.  and it lists at 2600fps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 120SST's run 2575fps
110 Hornady BTHP 2700fps
95 TTSX 2900fps
130 VLD 2500fps
16in barrel

Its good to 100 yards to

They just stopped the SPCII loads but didnt change the wording on their website.
The SPCII load ran 2850fps
This from the Wilson Combat Rep
"We had several customers with questionable guns (Spec 1, lower-end barrels, etc) have pressure issues with the original load. That and the inability to source appropriate powders consistently forced us to lower the pressure. "
Post #138
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does anyone have ballistics for an 8"/8.5" 6.8 barrel pushing 110gr/120gr/125gr bullets?

I'd really like to see how that particular barrel length and bullet weight compares to an 8"/8.5" 300blk pushing a 110gr/115gr/120gr/125gr bullets.
View Quote

I cannot promise its accuracy.  I got it from a 6.8 guy who said he got it off the 6.8 forums
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They just stopped the SPCII loads but didnt change the wording on their website.
"We had several customers with questionable guns (Spec 1, lower-end barrels, etc) have pressure issues with the original load. That and the inability to source appropriate powders consistently forced us to lower the pressure. "
Post #138
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 120SST's run 2575fps
110 Hornady BTHP 2700fps
95 TTSX 2900fps
130 VLD 2500fps
16in barrel

Its good to 100 yards to

Post #138

Well I don't Know what you want me to say.  I don't keep up with it enough to remember all the velocity claims. Screw it, you get better ballistics then a .308 winchester with the 2900fps non factory loads.  your right 300blk sucks.  

I have to use factory standards for 300blk.  the factory loads I have fired out of a 6.8  were nowhere near 2900fps with a 110gr bullet.  But 300 plus feet per second increase in velocity from original type one chambers, makes every thing else obsolete.  that is better then 6.5grendale hand loads.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Mind posting a pic of your rig?
View Quote

Northtech Defense AR15 Billet Lower Reciever
Vltor MUR Upper reciever
Bison Armory Recon Barrel 6.8 SPCII Stainless
Geissele Super Dynamic Combat Trigger
Seekins Precision LoPro Adjustable Gas Block
Seekins Precision ATC Muzzle Brake
KNS Trigger Pins Gen2 Mod2 FDE
Magpul STR Stock Kit FDE
BCM H - Buffer
AR Performance 6.8 SPC Bolt 9310
Fail Zero Bolt Carrier
NIBx Cam Pin
DPMS Firing Pin
MI Gen 2 SS-Series 12in Rail FDE
Mil-spec Buffer Tube 7075
BCM Charging Handle Mod4
Magpul AFG2 Front Grip FDE
Magpul MBUS Rear Gen 2 FDE
Magpul MBUS Front Gen 2 FDE
Tapco End Plate Sling Adapter
Surefire M952 Weapon Light w/Cree 650 lumen led

The only thing I dont like is the scope mount, but its light and has not moved.
Oh and the Primary Arms 4x16x44 suprising glass for what it is, holds and returns to zero.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well I don't Know what you want me to say.  I don't keep up with it enough to remember all the velocity claims. Screw it, you get better ballistics then a .308 winchester with the 2900fps non factory loads.  your right 300blk sucks.  

I have to use factory standards for 300blk.  the factory loads I have fired out of a 6.8  were nowhere near 2900fps with a 110gr bullet.  But 300 plus feet per second increase in velocity from original type one chambers, makes every thing else obsolete.  that is better then 6.5grendale hand loads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 120SST's run 2575fps
110 Hornady BTHP 2700fps
95 TTSX 2900fps
130 VLD 2500fps
16in barrel

Its good to 100 yards to

Post #138

You have to go to a 20in barrel to get 2900 out of a 110, but the 2700 I get out of the 16in is not overly hot or hurting the brass.
I could push it harder but dont see the sense.
The BO does not suck, its great for what it was designed for.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#35]

My 12.5"

So whats your come up @ 400 yds.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o92/cjgemm/IMAG0899_zpsbyrlhait.jpg

My 12.5"

View Quote

About 1.75 mils or 6 MOA with the 110 at 2700 fps or 24in in kentucky talk lol.
The 120sst is about 2in higher aim point at 400

I shoot 90gr to 140 gr so it varies a bit.
The 130 vlds are right at 2 mils or 28in @ 400  

Nice weapon btw
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nice weapon btw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 12.5"

Nice weapon btw

Thanks, mine pretty standard aside from the Adams arms piston.  Are you a mil or moa guy?  hold or dial?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks, mine pretty standard aside from the Adams arms piston.  Are you a mil or moa guy?  hold or dial?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 12.5"

Nice weapon btw

Depends on the situation
I practice both, I shoot usually 200 rounds or so at each range session.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

thanks, I bought 10, and some of other 6.8 mags they had on sale.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top